Where would you hold out?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

beachmaster

Where would you hold out?

Post by beachmaster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:33 am

Where would you hold out, for an extended period, in the zombie apocolype?

My personal spot, would have to be in the sewer... it would suck, but being alive is good. The way I see it, man holes are hard to move, and probably un-movable by zombies... and could also probably be welded shut easily enough. Also, every point of the sewer is a choke point, but you would have muliple escape points. I feel it would be easy to creat barriers in specific places to keep zombies out, but in a bad scenario, you could escape through these points, for a quick evac. Easy to defend, unwanted by other survivors, and easy to escape from... and every city has one. I have thought about places for years, and just came to this conclusion, so I thought I would share. :-) I am sure you wouldn't smell the poo poo very long... and think of all the neat things you could find! lol

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Where would you hold out?

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance please go by the introduction thread and introduce yourself.

I think you should read this thread. It will take a while but it will be time well spent.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=13017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:07 pm

You will die in the sewers...the gases and lack of oxygen

Many storm drain system are large enough..but if they are big enough for you...they are big enough for zeds...if you can get in...they will find a way in
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

beachmaster wrote:Where would you hold out, for an extended period, in the zombie apocolype?
Home.

My family is there, my supplies are there, I can store materials to make it more secure in the event that zombies do rise, and I can live reasonably comfortably there until then. :)

Welcome to ZombieSquad! I hope you'll take the time to follow Raptor's advice, it's full of good information, which is really the reason we're all here, isn't it? :D
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

beachmaster

Post by beachmaster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 pm

I think you would get enough oxygen if close to a man hole... and you could build up from the ground, hopefully getting you closer to better air. Any place people will hide, zed would try to get in. But most places, once he does, you have no back up exit, or not enough back up exits. All I am saying is that you would never be in a scenario where you didn't have a good choke point, and if you had a couple buddies, should be able to find a path to a pre planned escape point, without to much difficulty :-D

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:18 pm

well the one thing the sewer does have is Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo.
ICRS EMTB

beachmaster

Post by beachmaster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I did read a bit of that thread, I am a bit short on time and will read more later. Some great ideas. I felt like my sewer idea was pretty original... but not the first person to think it of course. Another advantage could be ease of access to critical points around the city

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:27 pm

AwPhuch wrote:You will die in the sewers
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/n ... ll-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAWS estimates that more than 100,000 gallons of wastewater mixed with stormwater had spilled into the nearby creekbed as a result of last weekend’s flooding. The flash flooding caused four manholes in the area to overflow and spill into the creek.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... kHeadlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are stories that public officials have heard often in recent years: flooded basements; damaged merchandise; ruined washers, dryers and furnaces; and smelly mud.

When there are heavy rains in Pittsburgh, sewers back up into homes and businesses, and the complaints flood in.
http://summerville.patch.com/articles/s ... t-oakbrook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pal-item.com/article/2011092 ... /109270311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Richmond Sanitary District has issued a combined sewer overflow alert for Richmond.

This week's rain has caused an overflow of sewage into the East Fork of the Whitewater River where South G and H streets meet the Whitewater Gorge and near the sanitary district's Wastewater Treatment Plant at Test Road and Liberty Avenue in Richmond.
http://bostonherald.com/news/national/n ... ne_workers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maine’s chief medical examiner has determined that two men whose bodies were pulled from a sewage pump tank in Kennebunkport on Tuesday died from inhaling sewer gases.
Please, please reconsider your sewer idea. As bad as being eaten by zombies sounds, I think drowning in someone else's feculence might be even worse.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Colombo

Post by Colombo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Sewers will be flooded out when the power goes out. Storm drains are a no go unless you have gills if you've ever seen them during even a short down pour (the weather channel will probably be down) and that's without considering all the refuse and organic waste that'll be washing in and coating everything. I'm staying home in the country with the understanding of the importance of multiple routes of escape (I don't intend my castle to be my funeral pyre). Knowledge of my area and terrain as well as fields of fire and cover/concealment that have already been assessed are too big an advantage to give up. I'm not climbing into a pre dug grave willingly.

palehorse1301

Post by palehorse1301 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Mom's. Don't laugh. It's a the end of a long dirt road off a long dirt road off a long dirt road...

Two wells and it's on a lake that's rated #1 in the country for one type of fish and #1 in the state for another, surrounded by thousands of acres of piney woods.

Finch

Post by Finch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Home

If Home becomes unsafe I have several options ranging from my wifes hotel to family spread across the us

I also think is possable the op doesn't know what a modern sewage system looks like it's often just a corrugated pipe full of shit not what you see on tv
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

LBB

Post by LBB » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:34 pm

There might be an old bunker near your location.
Go find it.

I think an open area around you is a better area to defend yourself.
So a house on a hill with fences around it, is something that can be easy to defend.

A dead zone before and behind your fence will make it easy for you to target everything that comes to your fence and might be able to get above it.

The sewer is something that can't be so easily defended.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Home....Unless I had to leave
In which case Lundy
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

CiggsWar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's flicks classic, I like a bunch of them esp vehicles

Post by CiggsWar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 pm

I can see using a sewer for travel when it permits taking you into and out of a area say for supplies, should also have the gear for this type of adventure, BOSG
(bug out sewer gear) you should have ropes, hook equiptment, hard hat with light and big lite with 12v utility battery, steel toe rubber boots, gloves chemical, breathing mask or gas mask, night vision goggles not sure if they pick up Zeds tho, pry bars designed for a sewer inside and outside. So you can either go down the pipe in stealth or light the sucker up.
When we were younger we use to venture down the sewer near our subdivision, at that time was mostly just a run off drain which only had 1/4" of water in it.
it was all concrete,there was quite a span between man holes, a small flash lite is not overly bright, enough to walk by, but you want too see far off esp if the threat of zed's are there. There not a lot swinging room and keeping balanced, A firearm would be very loud and noise travels so ear protection for firearms. we lite fire crackers off that was loud.
How are going to weld the sewer shut and cut the welds to re-open it.

I'm staying bugged in, unless there is another reason to leave.

bae

Post by bae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm staying right here at home.

phractal

Post by phractal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Tons of little islands near me. I could pick any one of em and live for years.

As for the sewers, I've been in hundreds of sewers and storm drains and I've had close calls in both. Almost drowned in a storm drain in Denver and almost suffocated in a sewer in Santa Rosa. Low air quality can make you just as dead as flash flooding. Even respirators won't help you where there is no air.

You want to learn anything about sewers, check out Uer.ca

We explore places like that for fun.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

Finch

Post by Finch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm

some of you should read the walmart thread
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Home, 'cause thats where all my preps are. Alternatively, work. I think the modern office tower is under-appreciated as a BOL in the PAW. Once you get above the ground floor, most have pretty good floor to floor security; the elevators (for as long as they are still working) usually require electronic key cards to access most floors and the steel doors to the concrete walled fire escape stairwells dont have handles on the stairwell side so even if the zeds get into the stairwell they cant get out. In fact, I think the biggest problem would be that you'd need to have somebody let you back in any time you left your floor. Well, that and potentially a much larger population of zombies, it all depends if it started during normal work hours or not...
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Finch wrote:some of you should read the walmart thread

After reading the responses here I agree. A homework assignment for anyone in this thread who has not read or does not know what the Walmart thread is:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=13017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please read it.

BTW a high rise building is a terrible place to use as a BOL. When the power goes out there is no HVAC, water pressure and they are designed to allow access to all floors via the fire escape stairs. That is not a good plan.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

DAMN! I was planning on painting myself grey and donning a katana wrapped in blue telephone cord and then bug-out through the sewers to a high-rise Walmart! :lol: :roll: BUT HAVE NO WORRIES OR FEAR ABOUT MY SAFETY! If the high rise Walmart catches on fire, I know how to turn a toilet into a rebreather! LOL! :lol:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

LBB

Post by LBB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm

phractal wrote:Tons of little islands near me. I could pick any one of em and live for years.

As for the sewers, I've been in hundreds of sewers and storm drains and I've had close calls in both. Almost drowned in a storm drain in Denver and almost suffocated in a sewer in Santa Rosa. Low air quality can make you just as dead as flash flooding. Even respirators won't help you where there is no air.

You want to learn anything about sewers, check out Uer.ca

We explore places like that for fun.
Nice

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm

A little light reading concerning the hazards of confined spaces. Might be important to brush up on some of this if you plan on going all TMNT in the Z-paw.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/confinedspaces ... ecognition*

*C.H.U.D.S. are not covered by OSHA guidelines.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

beachmaster

Post by beachmaster » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 am

The more I think about it, the more zombies wouldn't be the biggest problem in an extended zpaw... it would be thugs and gangs. And every place that I can think of that would be perfect for keeping zombies at bay, leaves me vulnerable to seige/pirates/theifs etc... Having a constantly moving uparmoured group could also have its advantages, but would make you easy to ambush if you came near any large cities... so I guess just being prepaired and having lots of ammo, food, and water at home is the best way to go till you feel out your environment.

funkychicken

Post by funkychicken » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm

beachmaster wrote:The more I think about it, the more zombies wouldn't be the biggest problem in an extended zpaw... it would be thugs and gangs. And every place that I can think of that would be perfect for keeping zombies at bay, leaves me vulnerable to seige/pirates/theifs etc... Having a constantly moving uparmoured group could also have its advantages, but would make you easy to ambush if you came near any large cities... so I guess just being prepaired and having lots of ammo, food, and water at home is the best way to go till you feel out your environment.

Words to live by. Or die tryin'.
I am Funkychicken, and I approve this message.

Return to “What Would You Do?”