Bug-out Weapons

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mooch9mm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later
REC
Dawn of the Dead (Romero)
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend
Omega Man (you can make the argument...)

Bug-out Weapons

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 am

I have a Nine member family (Kind of a Fellowship of The Ring Thing)
So my plan is to get at least nine long guns and nine pistols - one for each (the little kids are growing up soemtime, right?)
This patriarchal plan is fine but I have to think of each individual and their strengths and weaknesses as well as caliber and function of each weapon.
I want commonality of calibers as much as possible.
Ammo availablity and my own proficiency and experiences led me to these choices.
I use a CAR-15 and have been shooting M-16/M-4s since '86 so I'll continue with that. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through a Glock 19 so why change now? (got one tucked in my Maxpedition as we speak). I'm getting a two nice little bolt-guns in 5.56 (prolly for my two girls)
Wynndstorm (my spouse) has a Ruger P90 so I'm going to find one of those old Ruger Camp Rifles in .45 for her.
I gave one of my young Warriors my Austrian Stg58 and he absolutely loves it. So, he'll being getting a sweet Remington bolt-gun in 7.62 and a Mossberg 500 soon. After I buy all that shit for him, he wants a 4" .357 revolver preferably a Ruger GP100 (and who the Hell can blame him?)
My oldest Warrior (who ships out to Basic in 45 days) will be getting an AR variant most closely resembling what he carries in his permanent unit. He'll also get my Mossberg 500 when I get my 590 (the 500 has fowling and slug barrels). I intend to buy him a Glock as well.
My oldest girl gets a lever-action in .357 and the aforementioned bolt-gun
My hard-ass 12-year old has Designated Marksman AR written all over him.
The last three kids are getting Kel-Tech SU16s (I think they're cool)
We need several Ruger 10/22 also.
And a Marlin 30-30 just for GP
So shit how many is that for my little Team?
5.56 weapons - 8
7.62 - 2
12ga - 3
.357 - 2
.22 - 2 or 3
30-30 - 1
9mm - 2
Jeez, I'll need a Deuce and a Half for the guns and ammo alone but that's what we're rolling with.
I think I have a pretty good variety without any wierd calibers or high-maintenance weapons. Yep. About a third of the way there. That would be my ideal outcome anyway.
How are you guys allocating firearms among your folks?

mantis

Re: Bug-out Weapons

Post by mantis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 am

Firearms are ok but do you have the truly important survival gear in place already? Before spending a bundle on all those weapons, be sure that you have all the truly important stuff that you really need in a survival situation first - food, water, shelter, etc. In most scenarios, firearms will be unnecessary except for hunting. Arming your family like some kind of mini-army isn't going to do you much good if you don't have the basics covered first.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah, *disclaimer* You can't eat guns.
This is all in addition for what we're budgeting for in other critical areas.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 am

If it were me I would limit everything to just two calibers. One for the longguns, one for the handguns. Makes logistics much easier.

I would aim for 5.56 and 9x19mm. Being as how they are NATO issue and two of the most common calibers in the US.
Yoda for President

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:26 pm

I totally agree murg. That's why I get rid of all my Soviet stuff (You Ak Guys don't be haters - if someone gave me an AK101 in 5.56 NATO, I'd pee my pants)
The other calibers are just common American stuff you see everywhere and the .22 is cheap and can be bought in vast amounts. And cripes, there are so many uses for a .22.

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm

So mantis, you answered my question by offering sound advice. So what kind of guns are you going to roll out the gate with? Explain your choices, please.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 pm

You can use the search function to find a couple of posts from Mantis on his collection. While you're searching you can look for this same topic, it's in there several times.

Yes, guns are fun. Yes, we all daydream about walking around in the PAW armed to the teeth. Just remember (someones signature is) "Everyone's the hero to their own story". If your family projects this image of small militant group, slightly larger militant groups will target you. You're better off to spend those thousands of dollars on food and water preps than the image you seem to have of yourself.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:00 pm

With that much firepower, I don't know what kind of bug-out your are planning for, but...

I would follow the proven K.I.S.S. method (Keep it Simple Stupid / Keep it stupidly simple / Keep it simple simon / etc etc)
Keep the pistols the same make/model/caliber, and all the rifles the same make/model/caliber to maximize parts/ammo interchangeability.

I would limit it to two different handguns max, and two-three different long guns max.
Pistols: 9mm for all - maybe some .22lr
Long Guns: a couple 9mm carbines and a couple battle rifles (AR/AK/SKS/takeyourpick) - maybe a couple .22lr Rugers for the younger folk and small game getting
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, see I avoid any identification with anything resembling a militia. Militias will get squished.
We're just a clan - a clan with a plan where the only 'violent overthrow' will be the unfortunates who scale our back fence. We're going rural - IAW that plan - next year and as the years go by, the ROE will have to be adjusted to take into account scared and confused people.
These are shaping up to be very tricky times.
Which reminds me of what most think is a Chinese blessing but in reality is a Chinese curse: "May you live in Interesting Times".
You both know the deal.
I'm all over it too (If you read my intro, I was born in the morning but not yesterday morning)
The guns are among the last of my inventory I'm working on.
- Just talked to my Dad today and pried some additional info about my build. It's an Sabre Defence M4 contour vanadium chrome-lined barrel with extended muzzle device on a RR Upper with M4 ramps. He's basically recreating as close as legally possible what I carried in OEF. He's a Helluva great Dad. I'm not that bad either. As i've noted, I gifted my son my precious, precious FAL because he's so kick-ass (three merit badges and his project from Eagle)

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 pm

One thing you guys have to keep in mind is the amount of people I have - Five sons and two daughters by the same Army Wife of 21 years.I'm not going to be tricked out like a PSD Member while my 14-year old has a baseball bat. That's why we're probably going to have to go with a 2-vehicle BOV/trailer configuration.

And just so you fellas know I'm in touch with reality - Berkey Filters Rock!

mantis

Post by mantis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Mooch9mm wrote:So mantis, you answered my question by offering sound advice. So what kind of guns are you going to roll out the gate with? Explain your choices, please.

I don't put a huge emphasis on firearms and I have no plans to arm anyone but I do own a sizeable collection of firearms. My disaster planning is NOT to bug out unless necessary. If I had ot bug out, I'd take the most appropriate firearm form the circumstances and probably hand others to family members. These are all multipurpose firearms:

Centerfire:
From the left: CZ-858, Norinco SKS, Rossi Puma 92, Ruger Mini-14, Lee Enfield No4Mk1, Lee Enfield No1Mk3* (Sporterized), 2x Norinco M14s

Shotguns:
From the left: Backpacker .410 bore (single shot), Remington 870 (18.5", 6+1 2 3/4 - 3" 12ga), Remington 870 (30"smooth, 24" rifled, 2+1 (plugged mag), 2 3/4 - 3 1/2" 12 ga)

Rimfire:

From the left: Marlin 925M (.22 magnum), Henry Lever Action (.22LR), Remington 597 VTR(.22LR), Remington 597 (.22LR), Norinco JW-25a (Copy of German Mauser trainer) (.22lr), Cooey single shot (.22lr), Henry US Survival Rifle

to that I have since added a .50cal Connecticut arms Magnum muzzle loader.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Mantis - SWEEET!

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Personally, I have my plan, a 10/22, a 12 gauge and a .45 (1911), GTG. As well as a couple folders and a fixed blade and a hatchet. Of course, with the exception of the .45, they're all more primarily meant to be employed as tools, but those are the main things on a bug-out I would have that are weapons. Also, I only have me and one other to consider.

If I were starting from zero, with a clan of similar size, my priorities would be roughly:
Awareness type conditioning, and a plan for everyone. Weapon #1 = the mind. So everyone knows the what and why of preparing in the first place.
Knives for everyone, yay!
A couple (2-3) hatchets, maybe an axe
A couple (2-3) Ruger 10/22s
A handful (3-5) 12 gauges
Two large game caliber rifles (of the same caliber)
When I had no other preps to spend money on, including health/medical gear for 9 and the knowledge to employ critical care dispersed among several of us:
Handguns
A/Rs

Reason(s): Presumably if you're bugging out, whether with 2 or a group of 9 (and assuming a minimalist BOL), space/weight is going to be an important consideration. So I'm going to focus on the most practical tools and firearms with the widest range of uses (primarily geared towards food attainment), that can double as weapons. If it came to it, everyone would still have something to put in their hands, and I wouldn't be burdened with arms and ammo that I'm probably not going to need, and more space for stuff I will need, guaranteed. Assuming money is an issue, and I didn't already have them, I wouldn't buy defense geared arms until such a time that the person they were meant for was ready to learn to care for and employ them. May not be much fun, but that's my $0.02.

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 pm

therianthrope,
Our pioneer tools consist of three e-tools, i pry bar, i crow bar ( a Halligan is on the list), i pair bolt-cutters, 1 pick-axe, 2 large claw hammers, a full-length spade, two scissor jacks, a shop-jack and one bumper jack, (Stihl 24" cahinsaw on the list), several machetes and hand-axes and a set of tow cables (I have 3 Boy Scouts too). I need one more vehicle to distribute stores and equipment while motorcading our family in groups of three.
I'm telling ya'...it has taken some time and money and there is still more to do but we're sticking to The Plan, man.
That's a large part of what ZS is all about; developing a solid plan and committing to it.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm going to have to go with keeping it simple. Especially with that many people. I'd go with this as the eventual goal - 5.56, 9mm, 12 guage (for the house only), and some 22lr (for critter gitter). Maybe some .308 for a long range rifle or two. I spent many years up in your neck of the (lack of) woods. With the wind (especially in the spring) and long sight lines, a good distance rifle would be worth it's weight in gold.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Ruddie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hhhmmm...

Post by Ruddie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm

It sounds as if you are arming a militia..... Next thing will be a fortified compound and something about cleansing the earth of vermin....
Either way, all of the setups listed are good ideas. Im more of an AK person myself but that's a can-o-worms I don't want to get into (not that anyone ever has).

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

We have acreage in the mountains in the Nowrthwest. Next year we're un-assing this rapidly developing Dust Bowl of the South Plains. It is frankly an untenable location for us. We have a well sank up there and are doing the Site Plan this Autumn to build a large cabin and two outbuildings next spring.
As far as the armed-to-the-teeth philosophy, we're Texans and every family member gets a gun as part of their heritage - what's two or three more per going to matter - LOL.
These are all models most of them know how to use and I feel we'll need that much for self-defense in the next five years.
I said we're working all the other bases - are you guys afraid of large families with a lot of guns. I can assure you we all have straight teeth.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Mooch9mm wrote:We have acreage in the mountains in the Nowrthwest. Next year we're un-assing this rapidly developing Dust Bowl of the South Plains. It is frankly an untenable location for us. We have a well sank up there and are doing the Site Plan this Autumn to build a large cabin and two outbuildings next spring.
As far as the armed-to-the-teeth philosophy, we're Texans and every family member gets a gun as part of their heritage - what's two or three more per going to matter - LOL.
These are all models most of them know how to use and I feel we'll need that much for self-defense in the next five years.
I said we're working all the other bases - are you guys afraid of large families with a lot of guns. I can assure you we all have straight teeth.
We're not afraid of large families with a lot of guns, we're afraid of people misunderstanding what ZS is about.
SD is about 1/5 of your preparedness equation, and that's only if you want to divide things equally. Relatively, I think SD should be about 1/10 of your Preparedness budget.

As far as being Texans, that's your thing. If you're moving to New England, you may want to be careful of what your neighbours are like. I do say MAY; I know the Northwest is probably the most diverse political spectrum state to state, and we'll leave it at that.
BullOnParade

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, Bull...since this is the General Firearms Discussion board I reckon I'm exactly what ZS is about at this particular moment on this particlular thread.
You want me to tack off a list of other tools and equipment for other purposes, let's save that for another category. You people seem to be saying I want too many guns. I haven't made a single political statement yet you assume I'm some Militia Commander. My family will be armed and trained. That is my responsibility. If you want to talk about water filters or bio-god-damned diesel we can have that convo elsewhere, mate.
This here talk is about guns.
What are you taking and why?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Relax man, I don't mean to offend. I (and others) are just saying you won't NEED to carry a firearm in order to bug out from a house fire or flood.

Personally? I hope to be posting pictures of my inherited firearm collection within a week or two. I'm a poor, recently graduated bachelor, I've been working on inheriting guns from my father for the past while, but progress is slow. If I had to walk out that door right now I wouldn't have a single gun on me since they're not in my apartment. When I DO own firearms, I still might choose to leave them at home, depending on if the situation warrants it. If all hell breaks loose and the dead walk the earth? I guess I'll arm myself to the teeth and anyone who I feel responsible for at that time.
BullOnParade

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 pm

So who's the Ringbearer? :D

I don't see the problem some seem to be having with the overall quantity of firearms.
The OP anticipates nine adult members of his extended family will need to be equipped with one rifle and one pistol each. Many members of this board own more than that. I owned more than that BEFORE I became a cop.

There are other threads to discuss non-weapon supplies. This thread could move to General Firearms so that the adults could talk more frankly about it. This actually the WWYD board.

I'm not going to advise anyone NOT to arm in a bugout scenario. My own case has me walking through 4-5 miles of neighborhoods filled with perps and home-grown tangos.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Mooch9mm wrote:How are you guys allocating firearms among your folks?
None. Other items are of a much higher priority to me atm.

Having said that, I would have a pistol and a over/under shotgun/rifle combo. Anything else, for me at least, is overkill.

Mooch9mm
28 Days Later
REC
Day of the Dead
I Am Legend

Post by Mooch9mm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Thank you Jor-El. You are truly the wisest of your race. Sorry about your planet and stuff. (your kid turned out pretty well)

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 pm

To much caliber variety for me.
Even the Cartrights on the Ponderosa didn't have that much variety.

Unless your just looking for an excuse to expand a personal collection. And who really needs an excuse?

What about reloading?

Remember not everyone needs their final and greatest weapon today. A pair of .22lr for practice and the kids. A couple shotguns for general hunting/defense. Not everyone needs a pistol. And not everyone will want a combat weapon.
In the near future you may find a great surplus deal not thought of yet.

I separate them into two groups. One for defense and one for all the other uses of firearms.
Even I have weapons that will never be used for self defense but are just around for my own collection and enjoyment.

Return to “What Would You Do?”