Last stand?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Oddball

Last stand?

Post by Oddball » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:57 pm

Here's the situation as it would stand...

Your only vehicle (a four wheel drive, souped up SUV with all the whistles and bells availble to the civilian market) has been ambushed on a highway out in the Rockies, and is completely surrounded by forrested woodlands. The raiders have completely caught you by surprise, and your car is done for. Maybe if you weren't in such a tight spot, you could get it running. But these particular raiders happen to be very well armed, and that really isn't an option.
Also, much to your dismay, there are several dozen zombies moving in (Romero kind) onto your position, forcing you to engage both the raiders AND the zombies. Fortunately, you are very well armed, you and your group pocessing among yourselves an assortment of handguns and shotguns.

For a brief moment, you're given a choice as the raiders take a little bit of time to reload their weapons. You can choose to run off into the woods with limited gear (just TRY to run with a BOB, an autoloader shotty, maybe a hundred or so rounds plus any extra food and water that you may need.
OR, you can stay and fight it out, risking death.

Which will it be?
I am the rocker - I am the roller - I am the out of controller!
(rolls over and explodes)

Markedcards00
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead '04, The Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Markedcards00 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Stand and fight. The raiders and zombies will probably fight among themselves, and we can cap whoever isn't paying attention.

DISCLAIMER: Do I even need one here? It's obvious that the raiders meant to harm me & mine. Fighting back is more than understandable. Still... ZS does not endorse killing people. I doubt many people do, if any.
AEnemia wrote:The problem with that is, people will put the spin on it that it shouldn't be necesarry in the first place to have a release valve. What those people fail to realize is that humans are animals, like everything else. OF COURSE WE NEED A RELEASE VALVE.
AK/.45/Red wire/Pie.

Skippman

Post by Skippman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:04 am

Attempt to disable the raiders. Any wound will be sufficent to draw the attention of the zombies and to delay the pursuit of the raiders.
I Survived ZombieCon 2006 & 2007!

"Perserving today for a better tomorrow."
The Morrow Project.

Sturmwehr

Post by Sturmwehr » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:06 am

If my vehicle was upgraded with the contents of a civilian market... good luck to any raider short of an RPG or other anti-tank weapon.

Because, it would indeed, have rolled homogeneous steel 1/2" thick. They could shoot .50BMG ball at it all day and only dent it.

That said, fight. Obvious.

Markedcards00 wrote:ZS does not endorse killing people. I doubt many people do, if any.
ZS doesn't endorse killing. They do endorse self-defense. If someone is shooting at you, shooting back is defense in every sense of the word.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:53 am

Your scenario makes it sound like there is a road surrounded by woods which is potential cover for the raiders. From a tactical standpoint, you’re f---ed if you stay—you’re in a perfect ambush zone.

Assuming your group is armed well enough, I would say lay down some suppressing fire on the raiders that you can see, then counterattack into one section into the woods and fall back into the cover of the deep woods.

Retreat and let the zombies provide “perimeter security” over your vehicle. If the raiders are scared off or weakened by the zombies by your car, then you will have a much easier time defeating them when you return.
Taking the practical out of tactical.

Grither

Post by Grither » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:33 pm

I say redirect the zombies to the raiders and wait till they soften each other up. After they are done, finish off anyone left and loot the bodies (both sides, by the way).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I Survived Zombie Con 2005!!

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 pm

The first thing you do in an ambush is get out of the ambush zone. If the vehicle is disabled and you are under fire abandon it. THere will be plenty available to replace it later in a zombie PAW.

Hollywood is right, get into the woods and let the raiders and zombies fight it out amongst themselves. You can come back later after they have softened each other up.

I also second Grither's advice to loot the corpses on both sides. I remember the Night of the Living Dead remake where they were able to take the backup revolver out of a zombie cop's ankle holster to continue the fight. I say you should check the pockets of redead zombies as long as you have time, safety, and latex gloves handy.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Kusenagi

i know lol

Post by Kusenagi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:36 pm

shoot for all of the raiders keens and arms then run off and leave them to the zombies but ofcourse u gotta be a damn good marksmen.
I came, I saw, I blew some zombies up. Well My Job Is Done.

Insanity

Post by Insanity » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Fight it out. No way in hell I'm gonna let those damned raiders take my equipment without a fight.

Bender711

Post by Bender711 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:03 pm

hide in the woods an ambush who ever decides to come agter you first. if the zombies and the radiess fight then go mop up.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm

Lay down covering fire and retreat into the woods. Get away ASAP. There's no point in staying to finish anyone off. That just means the probability of more casualties for your team, and your goal is to survive, not to win every fight you get into. Also, it's more ethics/lawyer friendly. :)
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

AEnemia

Post by AEnemia » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Attack the raiders. Whoever has the biggest gun or is the easiest to hit is my target.

zerath

Post by zerath » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 pm

well if it has a sky light i'd lock the doors grab a shot gun and stick my head out attack the raiders first because thier faster and then the zombies

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 pm

zerath wrote:well if it has a sky light i'd lock the doors grab a shot gun and stick my head out attack the raiders first because thier faster and then the zombies
1) How old are you?

2) Please review the rules forum. We're a big fan of proper English so as to make our posts readable.
a deviant path is the only way
:sk

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:59 pm

Dont make me call down the wrath of ZSTGD

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:05 pm

Gunny wrote:Dont make me call down the wrath of ZSTGD

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Not them, anyone but them. Those guys are ruthless.

They're :wink: motto is "No Mercy, No remorse."

Edited: "No Mercy, No remorse, More Gundown" :D
Last edited by Shmerlin on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:09 pm

Oh, I thought our motto was "Send in the Gundown," but that'll work.

zerath

Post by zerath » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:13 pm

michelle wrote:
zerath wrote:well if it has a sky light i'd lock the doors grab a shot gun and stick my head out attack the raiders first because thier faster and then the zombies
1) How old are you?

2) Please review the rules forum. We're a big fan of proper English so as to make our posts readable.

Yes I know my I Know I am working on it. I wish people would quit telling me.

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 pm

I missed the thread where Gunny mentioned the grammar part to you. I'm sorry for that.

However, that still leaves the "How old are you?" portion of my reply still unanswered.
a deviant path is the only way
:sk

zerath

Post by zerath » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:25 pm

Below um 18. And yes I know my post was dumb.

TheLastRifleMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Sun Tzu stated that:

"When outnumbered and forced to fight, leave the field and retreat to a defensible position."

Over two and a half millenia later the man is still right. The best thing to do is grab what you can and get the hell out of there. Without a defensible position to fight overwhelming numbers, your hosed. There is no dishoner in retreating when you are outnumbered or overwhelmed.

As I retreated, I woudl try to lay out covering fire into the raiders. They are your most dangerous threat at that time. Any that are wounded, the zombies will be sure to take down. The only advantage you have in this situation is, when it gets right down to it, is the fact that the raiders are going to end up in a two front fight. They can't keep all of their attention on you when the zombies enter the mix.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

xeni

Post by xeni » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 am

i'd like to complain the zerath name the part of RATH is fucking mine ask kyle ask aztec! i am Rath how dare you brandish my name with childish banter if you step into the AZTEC forums i will unleash unholy things on you! sorry my bad i cant say that can i? well tuff i dont give a damn my name my rights! i am rath the sin of wrath!

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 am

xeni wrote:i'd like to complain the zerath name the part of RATH is fucking mine ask kyle ask aztec! i am Rath how dare you brandish my name with childish banter if you step into the AZTEC forums i will unleash unholy things on you! sorry my bad i cant say that can i? well tuff i dont give a damn my name my rights! i am rath the sin of wrath!
What are you babbling about, kid? I don't know who you are but I'll go a head and make a whild assumption that you don't own the word "rath". It's been around for a little while.

Let's say we all get the thread back on topic.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Skirza

Post by Skirza » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 pm

If retreat is possible with minimal risk of injury then I would retreat into the bush (holding back and letting the raiders fire the last shots so as to attract the attention of the Zeds) to a position that I could observe the imminent arrival of the dead and the battle with the raiders that is sure to ensue. During said engagement I would circle to a different position so as to reengage the raiders (from cover) as they are dispatching the last of the Zeds and hopefully recover my vehicle.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Return to “What Would You Do?”