The Dangers of Houston Waffle Houses

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Re: The Dangers of Houston Waffle Houses

Post by TacAir » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 am

Jeriah wrote:
J.C. wrote:$600 isn't worth killing or dying for.
Dying for, no.

Killing...well, that's a personal, ethical issue. For me, and this is just me personally here, if you steal from me, like rob me at gunpoint, whether you get twenty bucks or six hundred, your life isn't on my list of priorities. Lately I've been feeling less and less sympathetic towards criminals. Like, "wah, wah, I went to a bad school, daddy beat me," whatever. Frankly, I don't give a shit. Once you decide to take what someone else has, especially by force or threat thereof, my social consciousness and concern for the well-being of the disadvantaged, takes a back seat to my basic principle of right vs. wrong.

I'm not advocating anyone break the law, practice vigilantism, or anything like that, nor getting into a political debate over capital punishment etc. But I think that Texas' Right of Fresh Pursuit law sounds, from what I hear, like something I would like to see made more common, like Castle Doctrine and the no-duty-to-retreat laws. The idea that if someone breaks into your house, robs you, rapes your wife, kills your kids, or even just grabs your TV, and goes running out the back door, and as soon as their vector of movement is away from you, with your property, you're not allowed to stop the fleeing felon using any force you have...sounds like total fucking bullshit to me.

What I would actually do in that situation, I have no idea. I'm not going to play internet tough guy. But on my personal ethical meter, someone who robs me is no longer worthy of my concern for their well-being. Monetary amounts notwithstanding.

For the record, Steph disagrees with me on this one. She says I'm too angry, place too much emphasis on pride and ego, etc. So, I'm aware that I may be in the wrong here. But that's how I feel.

Steal my Stuff, meh, that's why I have insurance - the deductable is less than the cost of a lawyer to defend yourself in that kind of shooting/

OTOH, "rapes your wife, kills your kids," I will track you to the ends of the earth to ensure you meet your Maker for Judgement. Such an event goes beyond the pale of the law.

I note that 'home invasion' robberies of occupied buidlings is on the rise here locally. Are others seeing a trend in their AOs?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Finch

Post by Finch » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

i like this "right of fresh pursuit"
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

Finch wrote:i like this "right of fresh pursuit"
Back in college, I exercised my right to pursue some fresh every weekend.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 am

Meat N' Taters wrote:
And like the right to remain silent, I waved it to purse some stank, too.

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 am

JamesCannon wrote:
Meat N' Taters wrote:
And like the right to remain silent, I waved it to purse some stank, too.
o/ Lowered inhibitions, I do love thee.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu May 12, 2011 10:57 am

Waffle House? Robbery? Houston?

You mean to tell me there wasn't a single ex-criminal type in the place to tell them to stay cool?
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Finch

Post by Finch » Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 am

on a serious note wasn't there a identical robbery like this in the houston area a couple weeks ago where no one shot back.... hopefully this stops it

I wouldn't be able to pursue him in PA :(
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

chrispartida
Favorite Zombie Movies: Haven't found many that I didn't like, if that makes sense. Even the worst can be good for a laugh.

Post by chrispartida » Thu May 12, 2011 5:26 pm

the_alias wrote:Yes eating excessively sugary fatty foods is a danger.
Seriously, I thought the original post was gonna be this:

P.S. My favorite WH is in Orlando, FL - and I've been to a lot. They are VERY hit & miss.
-CP

Dale Gribble
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('78)

Post by Dale Gribble » Sat May 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Glad to see how much good his pistol did in his time of need... seeing as it was in his car :evil:
-Ben

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Jeriah wrote:
J.C. wrote:$600 isn't worth killing or dying for.
Dying for, no.
You don't get to make that choice - the consequences will be what they are. If you set off after three heavily armed individuals, you are exposing yourself to a fairly high amount of risk for very little reward. Why risk death for $600?

As far as killing for $600? First, even in a good shoot in Texas there is a chance this could come back on you. Even if it doesn't, you are likely to waste your entire morning and probably your entire day waiting for the police to come and collect statements from everyone and decide what to do with you.

Then of course there is the risk you hurt someone not connected to the incident, and its very likely that would come back on you.

There is a lot of bullshit bravado talked on gun forums. You will very seldom hear people who have actually killed other people talk that way.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 pm

J.C. wrote: There is a lot of bullshit bravado talked on gun forums. You will very seldom hear people who have actually killed other people talk that way.
^^ This.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Humblesteve

Post by Humblesteve » Sun May 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Who carries $600 in cash into a waffle house and doesn't bring the gun?

I'd shoot. Not over $600, but over the fact that it's only a matter of time before one of those clowns loses his cool and pulls the trigger on somebody that just didn't have cash on them.

But out into the street? Reckless and dumb. We've already talked about bystanders and the responsibility of not landing those shots. I wonder how long after he emptied the mag did he call it in? 'Cause it would/could have been minutes sooner if he didn't scramble to retaliate. He witnessed the vehicle and direction they fled. As far as I'm concerned he let them go by "exercising" his right.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Murph wrote:
J.C. wrote: There is a lot of bullshit bravado talked on gun forums. You will very seldom hear people who have actually killed other people talk that way.
^^ This.
^^^^ This is only because in the last 60 years its been frowned at as not politically correct. Bad guy robs you, you shoot bad guy. Why do you have to be upset about this? The same huggy bullshit is very prevalent in the military.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 pm

I imagine that it is also in part because after a person is involved in a defensive shooting, his or her lawyer likely advises the person not to talk about it on the Internet.

I can recall only one instance of someone on a gun forum giving a firsthand account of a defensive shooting. Some guys chased him out of a bar, he tried to walk away, they pursued, he pulled his gun and ordered them to stay back, one guy rushed him, he shot him twice in the leg. The attacker died. Apparently there was a trial, the guy was found guilty of some crime like...involuntary manslaughter? Something like that. The judge said if it was up to him he would have acquitted, but the guy wanted the jury trial so was stuck with their verdict. The weapon was a 9x18 Makarov IIRC.

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Tue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm

One thing I will say about Waffle House is that while most of their waitresses were brutal looking, there was often one there that was pretty hot in a small-town, trashy kind of way. Like...she would have a bad tattoo of a butterfly, a chipped front tooth, or a horrendous dye job. Yeah, I remember many times enjoying some done-up hash browns whilst ogling such a waitress. I have opinions about the topic, but I would rather just talk about waitresses.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Meat N' Taters wrote:One thing I will say about Waffle House is that while most of their waitresses were brutal looking, there was often one there that was pretty hot in a small-town, trashy kind of way. Like...she would have a bad tattoo of a butterfly, a chipped front tooth, or a horrendous dye job. Yeah, I remember many times enjoying some done-up hash browns whilst ogling such a waitress. I have opinions about the topic, but I would rather just talk about waitresses.
Steph and I have observed everything you're saying, both about the general trend of horrid looking waitresses, and the fact that there is usually one exception. The parade of ill-advised tattoos on the staff is pretty consistent and awesome as well. I have also noticed that the staff, regardless of appearance, seem to be much nicer and friendlier than at your average fast food place, or other breakfast/diner places like IHOP. There was one Waffle House where this wasn't the case; they weren't mean or anything, just more like other restaurants, where it's a basic, "just doing my job" kind of affect.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Tue May 17, 2011 9:52 pm

There's some interesting Ayoob reads on this site, about civilian and LEOs who have shot people, with the legal and psychological consequences highlighted. But there are lots of justified shoots:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... cra.2.a.22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Bad guys leave and I'm in one unperforated piece? I cut my losses and decide not to chase them, even if I legally "could" do so.
I bet someone's already asked, is the Houston waffle house posted "no weapons" or something? If he had a CHL why was his pistol in his car instead of on his hip?
And why would you sit around in a shady waffle house with $600 in your pocket?
And, was everybody wearing 'real' pants?

and, better a waffle house than a Luby's
Last edited by squinty on Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 pm

squinty wrote:and, better a waffle house than a Luby's
What's a Luby's? Is that like a Huddle House?

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Sort of. PM sent.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Jeriah wrote:
squinty wrote:and, better a waffle house than a Luby's
What's a Luby's? Is that like a Huddle House?
Luby's is a cafeteria style restaurant. Old people go there for consistent, easily digested num-num.

squinty

Post by squinty » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyNPB9iCAM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

squinty

Post by squinty » Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Meat N' Taters wrote:One thing I will say about Waffle House is that while most of their waitresses were brutal looking, there was often one there that was pretty hot in a small-town, trashy kind of way. Like...she would have a bad tattoo of a butterfly, a chipped front tooth, or a horrendous dye job. Yeah, I remember many times enjoying some done-up hash browns whilst ogling such a waitress. I have opinions about the topic, but I would rather just talk about waitresses.
Aren't waitresses wonderful? You ask them for things...and they bring them to you :) Same principle as santa claus....

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 am

squinty wrote:
Aren't waitresses wonderful? You ask them for things...and they bring them to you :) Same principle as santa claus....
Darn tootin!

Return to “What Would You Do?”