What would your ideal PAW job be?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braticus Caticus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Golden Girls...
What? Bea Arthur was alive?
Who knew?

Re: What would your ideal PAW job be?

Post by Braticus Caticus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:04 pm

squinty wrote:Zombie Wrangler....as they shuffle around... bits fall off....
Sure I had to be creative, but you accurately described every Wrangler I ever owned :lol:
Cadavera animata edunt cerebra et dicunt lente "Ceeerrreeebbbrrraaa."

JToth

Post by JToth » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:21 pm

I would be a merchant/wood worker/welder. I would roam from establishment to establishment and trade off what I find on the road. I do a bit of welding and woodwork as it is, so I would also trade my services. Soldier for hire is also on the table.
From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants.

The belief that one's own view of reality is the only reality is the most dangerous of all delusions.

Trent
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Trent » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:18 am

ShovelBoy wrote:Because you know how to make prescription pills?.. Get looking at herbalism :wink:
Trent wrote:Assuming I make it through medschool, being a doctor would be a pretty sweet setup. Wealth, status, being wanted by every community...you'd be golden. 8-)
I kinda doubt that the production of pharmaceuticals would cease; hell, even Sudan had a pill factory for Clinton to bomb. :lol: Assuming access was limited though, what are some decent scientific works on medicinal plants? I know that aloe vera sap tends to help with burns, willow bark can be processed into a rather risky type of asprin, etc; but I could use some info beyond the basics.*

*However, the second I see the words "homeopathic", "naturalistic", or "gaia" in a quote unquote medical book, it becomes an aerial missile. :wink:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 am

Trent wrote:
ShovelBoy wrote:Because you know how to make prescription pills?.. Get looking at herbalism :wink:
Trent wrote:Assuming I make it through medschool, being a doctor would be a pretty sweet setup. Wealth, status, being wanted by every community...you'd be golden. 8-)
I kinda doubt that the production of pharmaceuticals would cease; hell, even Sudan had a pill factory for Clinton to bomb. :lol: Assuming access was limited though, what are some decent scientific works on medicinal plants? I know that aloe vera sap tends to help with burns, willow bark can be processed into a rather risky type of asprin, etc; but I could use some info beyond the basics.*

*However, the second I see the words "homeopathic", "naturalistic", or "gaia" in a quote unquote medical book, it becomes an aerial missile. :wink:

This thread? This is not the place for this.

Back OT: Story teller and bringer of spice.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Trent
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Trent » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:22 am

Doc Torr wrote: Back OT: Story teller and bringer of spice.
Have the Eyes of Ibad yet? 8-)

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

part of the reason that I got out of tech and into booze is that I think that being a distiller has more long term stability than being a network data security and risk analyst.
besides, I already had the skill set and I like making booze.

I have every expectation that my facility might not remain usable (or mine) in a transition to a PAW but I have some plans in place to secure it and keep it operational if at all possible.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

Chops720

Post by Chops720 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I'd like to be the guys that secures the food. I like fishing and hunting, and my BBA in Marketing wont get me very far in the PAW.
FNG from ATL

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Walmart employee. I have my suspicions that Walmart would survive.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Rev wrote:Walmart employee. I have my suspicions that Walmart would survive.

Can you say Umbrella?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Who would resupply them?
Most of our goods around here come over the mountain passes in/on trucks.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am

ZombieGranny wrote:
Who would resupply them?
Most of our goods around here come over the mountain passes in/on trucks.
Hmm... armored Wal-Mart truck convoys!
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Voodoolove

Post by Voodoolove » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 am

I'd hope I'd get to keep doing what I love, and thats cooking. I seem to be able to make something out of nothing :D. Or maybe wild edible hunter such as mushrooms, berries and other yummy things...lol As long as it's food related I'd be happy.
It is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:48 pm

squinty wrote:Zombie Wrangler. I'll round up the Zeddies and herd them onto treadmills, which are hooked up to generators. Dangle a rubber brain in front of them, and the lights come on. Or, you know, hook'em up to Zed powered rickshaws, employ them as mobile scarecrows/fertilizer (as they shuffle around the cornfield bits fall off and fertilize the corn.) That sort of thing. It's time we stopped viewing zombies as evil, and started viewing them as a resource. Like fire, edged tools and the internet, they can be dangerous if handled carelessly, but that doesn't make them evil.

Somebody needs to just put a desk and some paper in front of squinty and let him go :lol:

Pure Genius...

O.T.; of what I've read; count me in as a WalMart convoy security/driver...

('cause we got a great big convoy rockin' thru the night)
(Yeah, we got a great big convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?)
(Come on and join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna get in our way)
(We gonna roll this truckin' convoy 'cross the USA)
(Convoooooooooooooooy)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:52 pm

SeerSavant wrote:O.T.; of what I've read; count me in as a WalMart convoy security/driver...
How good is Chinese body armor?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 pm

RickOShea wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:O.T.; of what I've read; count me in as a WalMart convoy security/driver...
How good is Chinese body armor?

about as good as chinese drywall :oops:

CoolBreeze
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by CoolBreeze » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:17 am

Tough one. I have to have certain medications or I will stop functioning so hopefully those are relatively easy to reproduce. Assuming I can plan on living beyond the next couple months of my pill supply I am a jack of all trades. I would scavenge, rebuild, and repurpose items to aid the community. Scout out the neighbors and see if they are friendly or not. If friendly open negotiations to establish a larger community. If unfriendly observe and identify the leaders causing the trouble and pick them off. Try to turn them into a friendly group.
I would also like to work to minimize our reliance on metals. The idea of driving people back into holes in the ground to pull out ore and coal just bugs the crap out of me. If we're getting a fresh start lets try to do things better than we have before. Electricity is very popular because it is "Clean" but that is not accurate. The chemistry used in batteries is nasty and the whole mining/smelting process to produce wire and other components is not very desirable. Can these items be replaced with something organic? Don't know but might be a challenge worth looking into.
I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it.' (R.D.)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 am

CoolBreeze wrote:I would also like to work to minimize our reliance on metals. The idea of driving people back into holes in the ground to pull out ore and coal just bugs the crap out of me. If we're getting a fresh start lets try to do things better than we have before. Electricity is very popular because it is "Clean" but that is not accurate. The chemistry used in batteries is nasty and the whole mining/smelting process to produce wire and other components is not very desirable. Can these items be replaced with something organic? Don't know but might be a challenge worth looking into.
LOLWAT

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:47 am

CoolBreeze wrote:Scout out the neighbors and see if they are friendly or not. If friendly open negotiations to establish a larger community. If unfriendly observe and identify the leaders causing the trouble and pick them off.
If I'm your neighbor and you try to 'pick off' any of mine, we'll get downright unfriendly, fast.
Just leave us be and we'll do likewise.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:57 am

I'm thinking now I'd like to be a "Shuck and Jiver". Seems like I'd have some extra time during the PAW and that may be the best use of it.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I'm thinking now I'd like to be a "Shuck and Jiver". Seems like I'd have some extra time during the PAW and that may be the best use of it.
That's not a bad idea really.....It could very well be the lingua franca of the post-apocalyptic world. BRILLIANT !!!

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:57 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:
CoolBreeze wrote:Scout out the neighbors and see if they are friendly or not. If friendly open negotiations to establish a larger community. If unfriendly observe and identify the leaders causing the trouble and pick them off.
If I'm your neighbor and you try to 'pick off' any of mine, we'll get downright unfriendly, fast.
Just leave us be and we'll do likewise.
You would have to be very unfriendly and a threat to the neighborhood before I would consider an attempt at picking you off. Grumpy and standoffish are acceptable. Raiding and pillaging are not.

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm

RickOShea wrote:
CoolBreeze wrote:I would also like to work to minimize our reliance on metals. The idea of driving people back into holes in the ground to pull out ore and coal just bugs the crap out of me. If we're getting a fresh start lets try to do things better than we have before. Electricity is very popular because it is "Clean" but that is not accurate. The chemistry used in batteries is nasty and the whole mining/smelting process to produce wire and other components is not very desirable. Can these items be replaced with something organic? Don't know but might be a challenge worth looking into.
LOLWAT
Awww it's not that funny of an idea is it? :lol:
I'm a "green" guy in that I would like to think humans are smarter than bacteria and can choose to do something other than eat, shit, and procreate until they die in their own filth. If we're in "start-over" mode its a prime time not to replicate all the mistakes of the past and try to find a more sustainable way to approach life.
Organic electric technology exists in nature (nerves, electric eels etc) but has not been developed and exploited commercially as an alternative to metal based technology.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I want to be a judge in the PAW, using my Solomon-like wisdom to mete out proper punishments under the system of due process we survivors rebuild from the ashes of the old order.

"This is an official warning!"

"Sir, you are now on probation!"

"Bailiff, fetch me my banhammer!"

I could grow a beard like that.
Mostly not here anymore.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 pm

dogbane wrote:I want to be a judge in the PAW, using my Solomon-like wisdom to mete out proper punishments under the system of due process we survivors rebuild from the ashes of the old order.

"This is an official warning!"

"Sir, you are now on probation!"

"Bailiff, fetch me my banhammer!"

I could grow a beard like that.
Double Secret probation!
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Return to “What Would You Do?”