What would your ideal PAW job be?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

What would your ideal PAW job be?

Post by Andimia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

So the world has pretty much ended. Your bs degree means nothing. You can't push papers or continue building condos. What is your new trade or role in the paw?
What would your ideal job be and what would a realistic job for you be?

Ideally I'd like to do woodworking. Making axe handles and knife handles and such out of scrap wood and selling them. Repairs for people. Having others bring me lumber and food in trade for my services.

My realistic job would be tomato grower. I'm really good at growing tomatoes haha. I'd also try to repair electronics if I could get butane to keep my soldering iron going. Using a fire would kinda suck.

donjulio

Re: What would your ideal PAW job be?

Post by donjulio » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Manwhore. That'll be a job right?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

King of the Mal-wart?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Soren
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Original Dawn of the Dead (the new one too I guess...) and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Soren » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 pm

As a general rule, I support the technological advancement of humanity. For that reason, I think that I'd be involved in restarting parts of the lost technosphere. Building Haber-Fischer processing plants, (that is, ammonia for fertilizer from N2 and hydrogen,) building renewable, delocalized electricity sources and redeveloping medicine. Similarly, what with my fascination for plants, I'd likely become a farmer, (as would just about everyone i suppose), and a novel plant breeder.

Of course, if we did that whole PAW where there isn't electricity ever again, I think i'd be a farmer and a wood-worker, both things I have minor experience with.

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 pm

I'll learn any trade that would keep me alive and useful.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:46 pm

This is a really good question. I some times think about it also. I actually have no clue.
I am an IT Manager: programmer/analyst/web developer/network engineer.
Obviously in PAW my job would be obsolete. I have no clue what I would do.
However, I am also curious what other people will say.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

books

Post by books » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Depends.

During the worst of it; either a medic or someone establishing trade routes/mail carrier between homesteads/towns -- like a blue collar diplomat.

When things are beginning to be rebuilt, I'd want to be involved with restarting factories/plants/industry.
  • Software Developer
  • EMT-B/CPR/HAZMAT/IC
  • Ham radio ticket: General (L2)
  • PeaceCorps Africa (3 years)
  • Trilingual: Russian (fluent)/French (fluent)
  • BS: Math & Computer Science
  • BA: Liberal Arts (major)/Military History (minor)
  • MBA student (current)

Frank

Post by Frank » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:16 pm

i lift heavy shit at work..no matter what, there will always be a need for heavy shit lifters.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:44 pm

A jester in the duke of northwestern pennsylvania's court would be a sweet gig.

realistically? unskilled labor where being strong is required.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Well, I'd like to be a forester, small holder, practical chemist and generally self sufficient militia man.

Same as before the PAW.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Soldier, possibly. About the only skill or experience that I have, other than my current profession.

I reckon I wouldn't mind being some sort of merchant/farmer/soldier or some sort of combination there of.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:52 pm

docdredd wrote:
Ad'lan wrote: practical chemist .......

Same as before the PAW.

care to expound?
I'm studying for my Bsc in chemistry. I'm taking a year out to work in industry, but for the PAW, my interest in early chemistry... And the more practical side of pyromania, is gonna come to the fore. Charcoal, coal tar and it's products (antiseptics, solvents, dyes, explosives), manufacture acids and bases pitch, biofuels and many active ingredients extractable from various sources (salicylic acid in willow bark is the classic example).

I have the hands on experience with lab work, the chemical lab work ups and practical guides to provide myself with most things I need once more than local trade is established. Localy many vital things will run out once human products run out. I want to be able to rebuild.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Heimdall
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any thing where the un dead are made more deader, and Sleepless in Seattle... what, I would totally do Meg Ryan in that flick.

Post by Heimdall » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Town drunk. Ok actually Ill be the brewer and bar keep, but some one has to test out the beer and other drinks.
I might be in the basement. I'll go upstairs and check.

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Level 4 Archeotech Prospector
Let’s Add Graphic Warning Labels to the Communist Manifesto

Finch
Favorite Zombie Movies: GAR's Dawn of the Dead

Post by Finch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Dawgboy wrote:King of the Mal-wart?
no way thats mine

I don't really think i'm going to get involved in a PAW commune
AR/590/9mm/EOTech/GLOCK/Scooter Hater/Pie/Blue wire/pro-bayonet/The NRA/.50 beo>.458 SOCOM

my blog: GarandThumb.com

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland

Post by marktaff » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Having a job in the PAW implies division of labor, which requires some sort of functioning social order.

I am a disabled combat vet, so while I'm not fit for duty as a soldier anymore, I could help train the local militia for local security. I could also pull some guard duty as needed.

That said, I think my brain would be my most valuable asset in the recovery in the PAW. As an educated engineering type, I could help rebuild in many ways. One of the nice things about calculus is being able to solve optimization problems, and when resources are thin, you certainly want to optimize their application. Also, there would be a great need to educate people so we can preserve as much of our technology as possible. I could help with that.

So guard/engineer/teacher would probably be my best use.
ImageImage
Summergeddon: X, XI, XII, XII, XIV
Wintergeddon: X, XI, XII
Summer Bugout: XIII

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Assless chaps and hockey mask model.

(Same as before the PAW.)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:22 pm

squinty wrote:Assless chaps and hockey mask model.

(Same as before the PAW.)
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:52 am

I doubt very much that the unemployment office will be working in the PAW so really I have no idea.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:14 am

I'm basically with Ad'lan, in that what I want to do now (become a small farmer and entrepreneur) would be my ideal job in the PAW as well.

I have some experience with gardening, raising livestock, hunting, fishing, foraging, cutting down trees with an axe and a few food preservation techniques. I'm not an expert at any of these things, and am a novice at the majority of them, but I believe that I have a head start over many people.

Out of those skills I am most proficient at gardening, and my family has several greenhouses and a large garden already in production. If possible, I think I would dig another, bigger root cellar and focus on gardening. I would try to trade food for goods that are more dangerous to obtain, such as firewood.

My understanding is that from fairly early on in the European colonization of North America up until World War 2 a large portion of Americans, possibly the majority, had their own gardens, raised a small number of livestock and took what work as came by or that they thought up themselves. This is how a lot of people got by in Alaska up until fairly recently, and it's how several people in my family make a living. I imagine that it would be a pretty common model in the PAW. Unfortunately, if there's no accepted currency and people are forced to barter, then people trying to get by solely on trading vegetables and their services as laborers might not be able to make it.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I spent three years working for a blacksmith and agricultural engineer..... so a lay-about :lol:

Seriously, I'm crap with engines but if you want a siege engine, a sword or a waterpump I'm your man....... Just don't expect me to fit your weathervane
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Mangangali

Post by Mangangali » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 pm

A tinker. Mostly because I wouldn't know what of my jack of all trades skills (some of them pretty useless) would be needed.

but the topic reminds me of the following quote for some reason:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
I am Murphy's favored son.

Post by ........ » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 pm

marktaff wrote:Having a job in the PAW implies division of labor, which requires some sort of functioning social order.
And I would be the one to provide said order. PAW job? Warlord.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Lord Bane wrote:
marktaff wrote:Having a job in the PAW implies division of labor, which requires some sort of functioning social order.
And I would be the one to provide said order. PAW job? Warlord.
And I would oppose all self designated "warlord's" in the name of individual liberty, and defend my community from them. Paw job: Anarcho-syndicalist.
Because I'm the baddest motherfucker on the internet.:lol:
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Return to “What Would You Do?”