What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Raindog
* *
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: WNC

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Raindog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Pistol, G30
Rifle, E4

It would be tough to leave all of my revolvers behind and I would likely bring along my 329 on a cross draw.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by teotwaki » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am

SOCOM-II rifle
Glock-21
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Hotglock
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Walking Dead
Location: North Central Indiana

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Hotglock » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 pm

A Rock River M4 Rifle, a Glock 17 Pistol and a Stoeger Outback 12GA. in a bug out bag scabbard.

User avatar
David52
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
28 Weels Later
Location: Bonne Terre, Mo

What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by David52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Not really a bugout rig, more a fighting rig for me. I would have two glock 30s and ak47.

SneakyG
*
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 am
Location: Alberta

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by SneakyG » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 am

Benelli Vinci 12g - Serves the most practical applications, as well as doubling as a fighting weapon.
Ruger Redhawk 44, with Aimpoint for the longer range.

sarteam 2
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by sarteam 2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 am

For a long gun it would be the M1a and for a handgun the taurus 22 mag snubbie would keep fresh rat an rabbit in the evening stewpot.
Good luck on Z day

Bixby
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Bixby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm rolling with the FS2000, Urban ERT single point sling, and a Tac Vest with 6 30rd mags of XM855.

User avatar
MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm
Location: A sandy little corner of America's clam.

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by MVegas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 pm

I kick it kinda Browncoat. Or maybe if "The Wild Bunch" got made in another dimension :P
XDM45, S&W 637 38spl, and Marlin 1894c Brooklyn Scout. (or, if it's looking like I'm really headed for the hills, Marlin 336 P-Scout)
)
Winter is Coming

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 pm

[quote="Kutter_0311"]A pair of SGL-21's...
Image

A brace of G35's...
Image
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by BluelegSamantha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 am

PS90 and Five Seven pistol.
I try to keep everything interchangeable for ease of access instead of carry multiple calibers.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by teotwaki » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

BluelegSamantha wrote:PS90 and Five Seven pistol.
I try to keep everything interchangeable for ease of access instead of carry multiple calibers.
Do you worry at all about the availability of that particular caliber of ammo? (Post apocalypse)

A while back I picked .45 cal for the pistol but 9mm or .40 should be far more common nowadays.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
Alpha-17
* * *
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later
Location: Fort Riley, KS

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Alpha-17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

teotwaki wrote: A while back I picked .45 cal for the pistol but 9mm or .40 should be far more common nowadays.
I wouldn't worry about .45 ACP. It's still one of the most common and popular calibers around. 9mm and .40 maybe slightly more common, but you'll be hard pressed to find a store that sells both of those that doesn't normally carry .45. They might be sold out at the moment, but that's about it.

5.7 would be a bigger concern. Most small places don't carry it, at least that I've seen. For a caliber like that, stockpiling it ahead of time is the only viable answer.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Image

User avatar
neilbilly
*
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:58 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them, Zombie Strippers was good, Dead Snow was as well. The classic Night of the Living dead was scary, and the new stuff with revved up Zeeks is good ala 28 days/weeks later.
Location: Texas Coast
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by neilbilly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I've got the AR57 and there's no way I'd bug out with it due to ammo being scarce. It's a good round, but at 20 bucks for 50 shots I can't afford to stockpile it. I've got about 750 rounds of it, but compared to what I have stockpiled for .223, 7.62x39 and 9mm, it's nothing. "plus over 40k rounds of rimfire"

I can't see me bugging out. I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. I've had 20 years at my current location to get established and prep.

If I did bug out and could only take 1 rifle and 1 pistol it would be my light weight Howa bolt .223 and my ruger 22/45.

I've got a lot to choose from, but those 2 are accurate, and I can hump a lot of ammo for them.

Practice with what you have, not with what you plan on having at some point.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.

Packin' Heat
* * * * *
Posts: 1453
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Packin' Heat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Glock 23; .40
VEPR K; 7.62x39
Saiga12; 12ga of course :P

there'll be a walther P22 stuck in there somewhere too.
Glock 23: Check
Mossberg 590A1 12ga: Check
VEPR AK 7.62x39: Check
Saiga 12: 12g check

BlakeS
* *
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 am
Location: North Hampton NH

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by BlakeS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 am

M1A Socom 2 - .308
AK-47 w. Folding Stock - 7.62 x 39
Sig P220 - .45 Or .357 Colt Python 8"

Still machining my folding stock wouldn't fit with the new over receiver sight mount.
Image
By blakesan1 at 2011-04-28
Last edited by BlakeS on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by BluelegSamantha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 am

teotwaki wrote:
BluelegSamantha wrote:PS90 and Five Seven pistol.
I try to keep everything interchangeable for ease of access instead of carry multiple calibers.
Do you worry at all about the availability of that particular caliber of ammo? (Post apocalypse)

A while back I picked .45 cal for the pistol but 9mm or .40 should be far more common nowadays.
No, I have close to 8,000 rounds of ammo.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
Silent Kube
* * * * *
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.
Location: Rapid City, SD
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Silent Kube » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 am

BluelegSamantha wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
BluelegSamantha wrote:PS90 and Five Seven pistol.
I try to keep everything interchangeable for ease of access instead of carry multiple calibers.
Do you worry at all about the availability of that particular caliber of ammo? (Post apocalypse)

A while back I picked .45 cal for the pistol but 9mm or .40 should be far more common nowadays.
No, I have close to 8,000 rounds of ammo.
That's the best plan anyway. If you think common calibers are just going to be lying around for the taking you're fooling yourself. The first person to break in to the gun store is going to clean out the common rounds first. Even if he can't use them, bullets in the PAW are going to work like smokes in jail. A convenient and useful form of currency.
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

User avatar
BluelegSamantha
* *
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.
Location: Compound 44

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by BluelegSamantha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 am

Silent Kube wrote:
BluelegSamantha wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
BluelegSamantha wrote:PS90 and Five Seven pistol.
I try to keep everything interchangeable for ease of access instead of carry multiple calibers.
Do you worry at all about the availability of that particular caliber of ammo? (Post apocalypse)

A while back I picked .45 cal for the pistol but 9mm or .40 should be far more common nowadays.
No, I have close to 8,000 rounds of ammo.
That's the best plan anyway. If you think common calibers are just going to be lying around for the taking you're fooling yourself. The first person to break in to the gun store is going to clean out the common rounds first. Even if he can't use them, bullets in the PAW are going to work like smokes in jail. A convenient and useful form of currency.
Yeah it is, just stockpile little by little.
I've got 10 50 round magazines for my PS90 and 15 20 round magazines for my handgun, so I'm ready to rock.
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

User avatar
Silent Kube
* * * * *
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of Romero's work, Shaun Of The Dead, Pretty much anything that keeps the reason for the outbreak somewhat vague.
Location: Rapid City, SD
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Silent Kube » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:03 am

I wish I could say the same, but I'm getting there. As it stands right now, I have just the bare minimum recommended amount but it's slowly growing.
If you're going through hell; keep going... ~Winston Churchill

Forgive your enemies. But remember their names.

Non semper erit aestas
Jeriah wrote:I think we're all pretty much just bullshitting here, which is what the Internet is for. Besides porn.

User avatar
SSG Pete C.
*
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by SSG Pete C. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 am

Well, I'm military, so my M14 EBR and my M9.
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:48 am

My ammo selections tend to base more upon the people I do most of my shooting with, who also happen to be the people I'd most likely have with me when I bug out. We all stock .308 and .45acp, and my best shooting buddy's longarm/sidearm combo is a scar-17 and a FNP45. Being able to split cases of ammo means we can both get some more shooting in with our current budgets, and we are going to be buying a reloading set sooner or later.

I never got past the idea you'd be running into unattended ammo in any sort of emergency scenario.

I do wish 5.7 as a side and longarm combo was more of a viable option here. We actually have a good amount of guys running 5.7 ar's and ps90's. But alas, the 10 round mag limit on handgun magazines puts a but of a damper on the Five-seven pistol. In fact, it puts a bit of a damper on 9mm too...
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

collector rob
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Lynden WA

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by collector rob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 am

I guess it depends on the situation. If I were unsure of ammo availabilty my choices would be my Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible and my Springfield M6 .22/410. While not the most desireable guns for a firefight, they would allow me to defend myself, and give me lots of options for scavenging ammo.

Other wise, it would be my LR308 DPMS AP4, and my Glock 21.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by teotwaki » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:48 pm

sworbeyegib wrote:My ammo selections tend to base more upon the people I do most of my shooting with, who also happen to be the people I'd most likely have with me when I bug out. We all stock .308 and .45acp, and my best shooting buddy's longarm/sidearm combo is a scar-17 and a FNP45. Being able to split cases of ammo means we can both get some more shooting in with our current budgets, and we are going to be buying a reloading set sooner or later.

I never got past the idea you'd be running into unattended ammo in any sort of emergency scenario.

I do wish 5.7 as a side and longarm combo was more of a viable option here. We actually have a good amount of guys running 5.7 ar's and ps90's. But alas, the 10 round mag limit on handgun magazines puts a but of a damper on the Five-seven pistol. In fact, it puts a bit of a damper on 9mm too...
Any unattended ammo would be sccoped up for trade so I'd expect to be bartering with the folks to get what I needed. If I'm hunkered down at home I have enough to meet my needs.

gratuitious SOCOM-2 photo
Image

I swapped out the bulky Vltor QuadRail for a UltiMAK M8 Upper handguard w/Picatinny rail. I'm considering an Aimpoint Comp M-4 for optics.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

TerryGecko
* * *
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:17 am
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by TerryGecko » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Alpha-17 wrote: 5.7 would be a bigger concern. Most small places don't carry it, at least that I've seen. For a caliber like that, stockpiling it ahead of time is the only viable answer.
IMO, stockpiling/reloading are the only viable option for ALL calibers. Expecting to find any ammo/parts post SHTF for any caliber is far too unreliable/dangerous to factor in a PAW game plan.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”