What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: What long arm and handgun are you using to bug out?

Post by TDW586 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:22 am

Dale Gribble wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people in here actually own the things you are posting?

In the case you don't, then you arnt going to bug out with it, for example, if you don't carry daily don't plan to have your pistol (if)until you get home.

Like this, my BOG is my CZ P-01, I have it with me every day, if I cant get home than all I have is my pistol and a total of 3 magazines, 43 rounds. If I don't get home than that's all I have.

I'd say most of us posted guns we actually own, yeah. I can't recall if I posted in this thread, but if I were for some reason to leave my home in a hostile disaster situation with a long arm, it'd be my Daniel Defense AR with my Glock 35 backing it up. This is of course an unlikely, "Red Dawn" kinda situation.

Dale Gribble
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('78)

Post by Dale Gribble » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 am

TDW586 wrote:
Dale Gribble wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people in here actually own the things you are posting?

In the case you don't, then you arnt going to bug out with it, for example, if you don't carry daily don't plan to have your pistol (if)until you get home.

Like this, my BOG is my CZ P-01, I have it with me every day, if I cant get home than all I have is my pistol and a total of 3 magazines, 43 rounds. If I don't get home than that's all I have.

I'd say most of us posted guns we actually own, yeah. I can't recall if I posted in this thread, but if I were for some reason to leave my home in a hostile disaster situation with a long arm, it'd be my Daniel Defense AR with my Glock 35 backing it up. This is of course an unlikely, "Red Dawn" kinda situation.
That was more aimed at the intermingled mall ninjas in the thread, I was trying to get the "don't count on what isn't currently in your hands" message.
Last edited by Dale Gribble on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ben

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Excellent advice, of course. I'm tracking now.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am

Pistol- Taurus .40 or .45 with 3 mags( I know I need more) or a 5.7
Rifle- I don't have one but hopefully a AR-15 or AR-57...

I really want to have the same caliber and I like the AR because I have carried and used one for about the last 8 years...
That and parts are cheap and stuff too...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

CodyC

Post by CodyC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 pm

While I don't own it yet, I will soon (within the next month, most likely) be purchasing a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 with a bayonet; money is a bit tight and the Mosin costs only $80. I plan on adding a scope at some point, though any other modifications depend on how I like the rifle as is and if I think they're actually useful. I might give it a brand new Monte Carlo stock or do nothing but a turned-down bolt handle and scope.

I can't legally buy handguns yet, but I am a fan of the Beretta 92 and 96 and will probably end up buying one of those.

Dale Gribble

Post by Dale Gribble » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

CodyC wrote:While I don't own it yet, I will soon (within the next month, most likely) be purchasing a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 with a bayonet; money is a bit tight and the Mosin costs only $80. I plan on adding a scope at some point, though any other modifications depend on how I like the rifle as is and if I think they're actually useful. I might give it a brand new Monte Carlo stock or do nothing but a turned-down bolt handle and scope.

I can't legally buy handguns yet, but I am a fan of the Beretta 92 and 96 and will probably end up buying one of those.
1. Learn on iron sights
2. A turn down bolt handle on a Mosin gets in the way
3. When you can legally buy a handgun go handle as many as you can, if you can rent do that too, you want to buy what feels most comfortable.
-Ben

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Nothing against the MN for what it is, but it is far from the ideal budget Zombie BOB weapon. It is heavy, with a big recoil, slow to cycle the bolt, and is long and clunky. You would do better getting a used 30-30 levergun - it is more lighter, faster to cycle, and is far more handy and packable/concealable. The bayonet serves no function unless you plan on charging a trench. Just one man's opinion.

FireEagle1071ad

Post by FireEagle1071ad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Glock 21 with Streamlight TLR-1 on it and a Sabre Defense Lower / Rock River Arms 6.8 upper AR w/ 16" barrel. They are the only two firearms that I own so I really don't have much of a choice now do I?
- Fire Eagle 107 Out

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Though Heaven Should Fall, Let Justice Be Done

CaptainRW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by CaptainRW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:47 pm

roscoe wrote:Nothing against the MN for what it is, but it is far from the ideal budget Zombie BOB weapon. It is heavy, with a big recoil, slow to cycle the bolt, and is long and clunky. You would do better getting a used 30-30 levergun - it is more lighter, faster to cycle, and is far more handy and packable/concealable. The bayonet serves no function unless you plan on charging a trench. Just one man's opinion.

I disagree, a MN can be a very good weapon, specially when cost is a big factor. Ammo is about as in-expensive as it gets and it gives you the range a 30-30 just don't have, he penetration a 30-30 will never have and the speed of re-loading a 30-30 just ain't got... Big & heavy, yes, if you want shorter, get the M-44 style or cut it down...
TTFN
Richard
NH Zombie Defense Team Leader.

FYI... Federal Reserve Notes are NOT money, dollars or real currency, they ARE Fiat Notes or Currency, with no value except what the Fed says, So I now call them Federal Reserve Fiat Notes. Better to call things as they really are...

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Well after a few purchases my go to pair is: Spingfield Loaded 1911 and my SGL21.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

CodyC

Post by CodyC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Dale Gribble wrote:
CodyC wrote:While I don't own it yet, I will soon (within the next month, most likely) be purchasing a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 with a bayonet; money is a bit tight and the Mosin costs only $80. I plan on adding a scope at some point, though any other modifications depend on how I like the rifle as is and if I think they're actually useful. I might give it a brand new Monte Carlo stock or do nothing but a turned-down bolt handle and scope.

1. Learn on iron sights
3. When you can legally buy a handgun go handle as many as you can, if you can rent do that too, you want to buy what feels most comfortable.
I've gone shooting, just with other people's weapons. I've got about 20 rounds on a scoped .300 Win Mag and literally hundreds on the Beretta 92 and AR-15 (friends have benefits). I've gone to the shop and been able to handle a number, including a Hellcat .380, Glock 19, and a Kimber 1911 (they didn't know I was under 21 and didn't ask for my age). When I was younger I got to dry fire a .357, .44, PPK/S, and some .25 pocket pistol. I've gotten a good idea of what I prefer.

Dale Gribble

Post by Dale Gribble » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

CodyC wrote:
Dale Gribble wrote:

1. Learn on iron sights
I've gone shooting, just with other people's weapons. I've got about 20 rounds on a scoped .300 Win Mag and literally hundreds on the Beretta 92 and AR-15 (friends have benefits). I've gone to the shop and been able to handle a number, including a Hellcat .380, Glock 19, and a Kimber 1911 (they didn't know I was under 21 and didn't ask for my age). When I was younger I got to dry fire a .357, .44, PPK/S, and some .25 pocket pistol. I've gotten a good idea of what I prefer.
Don't take this the wrong way man but shooting 20 rounds and dry firing stuff doesn't mean a thing.

When you pick a gun up and it feels like you should have been born with it is when you know you have the right one, kind of like me and CZ pistols and Browning Hi powers, only handguns that have ever felt like that to me.
-Ben

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 am

When you pick a gun up and it feels like you should have been born with it is when you know you have the right one, kind of like me and CZ pistols and Browning Hi powers, only handguns that have ever felt like that to me.

Yeah, I seriously felt that way once I grabbed my Taurus 24/7 OSS and now I have 2... 1 in .40S&W and 1 in .45ACP

Lol it's all good
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 am

I disagree, a MN can be a very good weapon, specially when cost is a big factor. Ammo is about as in-expensive as it gets and it gives you the range a 30-30 just don't have, he penetration a 30-30 will never have and the speed of re-loading a 30-30 just ain't got... Big & heavy, yes, if you want shorter, get the M-44 style or cut it down...
I never said it wasn't a good weapon, just that for a BOB you need a higher rate of fire in a lighter weapon. The range and penetration of a 30-30 match an AK, so it is not lacking there. People run 30-30s through tactical weapons courses, but I never heard of a MN in one.

armylt

Post by armylt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:49 pm

If I have to leave the safety of my home and for some unknown and magical reason am limited to only 2 weapons, I would grab my Sig 556 and my S&W SW99 in .40. The weapon set up will allow me to reach out and touch someone pretty easily as well as have a backup handgun for anything up close. Now if I was at work then I'm lucky enough to have access to several M2's, M240B's, M249's, M320's, and a bunch of M9's as well. Too bad we don't keep ammo so readily available though. Out of the weapons listed from the arms room, I'd go with the M240B, it's a lot less finicky than the SAW (M249) and a hell of a lot lighter than the .50 cal.

CodyC

Post by CodyC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Dale Gribble wrote:
CodyC wrote:
Dale Gribble wrote:

1. Learn on iron sights
Don't take this the wrong way man but shooting 20 rounds and dry firing stuff doesn't mean a thing.

Which is exactly why I want a Beretta. Like I said, I've fired hundreds of rounds through one; not one that I own, but I have fired it many, many times over several years. Same with the AR-15. Out of all of the handguns I've felt, 8 if I've counted correctly, the 92 is the only model that I've been completely comfortable with in every way.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:21 am

My XDM45 and M1a.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Kill Switch

Post by Kill Switch » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:07 am

sworbeyegib wrote:My XDM45 and M1a.
I really like your choices. I like the calibers; I really like the M1A...

Kill Switch.

The D

Post by The D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:17 pm

From what I have on hand the gun I'd grab would be my RRA AR carbine (5.56), and for side arm I'd take my Ruger 22/45 (.22). I would love to try out a M1A Socom or an AR 10 someday to move up to an semi auto 308.

reeper75

Post by reeper75 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:36 am

m4 (.223/5.56X45) Standard upper & AR57(5.7X28 Ps90/Five SeveN cal) Upper
Beretta m92(9mm) common ammo for both minus the AR 57

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 am

My glock 23 would come along in any disaster, but I don't see taking a rifle. If I doubted my home would remain safe while I was away, the old colt lightning would come along. God forbid I ever need to rely on the thing, but it works, was Grandpa's, and we've dated its manufacture to shortly after the civil war. I might take my Dad's old .308 bolt action for similar reasons. Not for expectation of combat, but just to save something I love. If I really expected some sort of PAW event that would most likely involve lots of people trying to kill me, I might take the remington 870 over the .308. I live in pretty dense country (either very heavy underbrush or dense building development) so the shotgun might be more useful than the longer ranged .308.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

happyhunter42
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead. Day after Tomorrow. War of the Worlds(first one)

Post by happyhunter42 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I can't carry all my stuff even with all 4 vehicles, so I'll be bugging in thank you. So in that case I'll just grab my Colt Official Police and my Marlin .357 lever-action and wait for the fun to start.
IF WE CAN KEEP THE BULLETS AND BEANS ACOMIN WE MAY MAKE IT TILL MORNIN!
wHEN THE GOIN GETS TOUGH, GIVE ME ANOTHER BEER AND I'LL THINK IT THRU.

jrdnovotny
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking dead

Post by jrdnovotny » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 am

Pistol: XD 9mm but looking to get a sig
Rifle: CZ 858 (Czech version of the AK)
Shotgun 870 Rem

I think there will be enough firearms for anyone to get one if the need comes. I fear that the bullet issue is more to be concered about. My friends and I, try for the most part to get the same type 9mm, 7.62x39 and 12 Gage. I started to reloading which has saved a ton of cash and allowed my group and I much more time on the Range.

Cheers!
Battlefeild pedestrian

drifts14x
Favorite Zombie Movies: N/A- I read Zombie Books

Post by drifts14x » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:25 pm

This is my first post to the forum, but I will answer the question regardless:

Sidearm: Beretta 92FS
Long Arm: PSL-54C

The wife will be carrying:

Sidearm: Tokarev TT-33
Rifle: Ruger 10/22 that I have on order

Oh, serious props to the guy who posted pics of the Chaucat and the Liberator on Page 1, that was awesome!

(For those missing the irony, the Chaucat was the worst, least reliable LMG ever, and the Liberator's effective range is 1FT).
"Look Alive, Sunshine"

Guns may be useful in a Zombie Apocalypse, but nothing is a match for:

Attack Chihuahuas- God help you if I loose the attack chihuahuas...

Return to “What Would You Do?”