Bump in the night guns

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Re: Bump in the night guns

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue May 01, 2012 10:27 pm

squinty wrote:16" Ruger mini-14 with 30 rounds of 55 grain Hornady TAP.
That dosen't sound so bad at all!
Is it an older or newer series Mini14?
Mine is still a Maverick 88 with top folding ATI stock, 00 Federal 12 pellet buck-kicks like a mule at both ends.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Mine is currently a .40 S&W Glock 35 with a Streamlight M6 LED, stippled grips and Grip Force Adapter, and Trijicon night sights. Loaded with 22+1 rounds of Hornady TAP-CQ/LE 180-grain HP in a Glock OEM magazine.

I like this setup because it gives me 23 rounds of an effective caliber, with a light for target ID, in a weapon I can employ one-handed allowing me to open doors, dial 911, et cetera.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 am

Turtlewolf wrote:
squinty wrote:16" Ruger mini-14 with 30 rounds of 55 grain Hornady TAP.
That dosen't sound so bad at all!
Is it an older or newer series Mini14?
Mine is still a Maverick 88 with top folding ATI stock, 00 Federal 12 pellet buck-kicks like a mule at both ends.
Two 580 (newer) series minis. One the "target" model with a barrel weight on the end and a 2.5-16 power scope, another (BITN gun) with a 16" barrel and no muzzle device of any kind (wanted it as short and light as I could get it without a stamp.) Both stainless. Will have a red dot of some sort on the 16 incher before too long. Sad that I can't get an aimpoint H1 to co-witness using an ultimak rail, but I can't. May get a good deal on an aimpoint 9000SC, and just mount it using Warne rings and the receiver cuts.

Just got the Saiga legal for high cap magazines, and found good metal high cap mags. It's a cheap gun, but the cost of magazines will quickly eat up any money I saved on the purchase price of the rifle. That's ok, because it's still a good reliable rifle.

That Maverick should be enough to discourage the hardest bit home invader. How do you like the ATI stock? I have a friend who just bought a similar PGO shotgun. I predict he will go stock-shopping ricky tick after the first time he fires it, and I'd like to be able to make recommendations.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 6&start=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 am

The main reason I got the top folder was storage actualy, the side folders add to much to the profile of the firearm and the wire top folders I've seen are just scary.
The buttplate is nice and wide with a bit of flex under recoil that helps a bit but the edge where you would normaly place your cheek is narrow and has a habit of kissing you with teeth.
For a firearm that you would want to shoot a lot this would be a bad idea, but for a hiking/defense firearm it works acceptably. The pistol grip on the ATI is also slightly better than the crappy stock Mossberg/Maverick PG that seems to focus recoil in the weakest part of your hand.
EDIT:can't you modify the Saiga to just take regular AK magazines?

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 am

Turtlewolf wrote: EDIT:can't you modify the Saiga to just take regular AK magazines?
No, it's a .308 / 7.62x51 rifle. Regular AK's are 7.62x39 and their magazines won't hold .308 rounds. The mags also have to be American made to get me under the limit for 922r compliance. There are a few US companies that make high-cap .308 magazines, most are all polymer. I found one that stamps out all metal mags and am happy with them.

So, there's some cheek bite with the ATI top fplder?
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed May 02, 2012 12:18 pm

squinty wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote: EDIT:can't you modify the Saiga to just take regular AK magazines?
No, it's a .308 / 7.62x51 rifle. Regular AK's are 7.62x39 and their magazines won't hold .308 rounds. The mags also have to be American made to get me under the limit for 922r compliance. There are a few US companies that make high-cap .308 magazines, most are all polymer. I found one that stamps out all metal mags and am happy with them.

Oh sorry, I missed the fact it was a 7.62x51 Saiga.
How do you like it and is it your DMR?
I kind of wish they'ld at least let us have un modified Saiga's here in Canada.
As to the ATI, yes there is cheek bite. You could glue or tape some high density foam rubber on the area and it would solve the issue, even a peice less than a half inch thick. I just haven't bothered for some reason.....not sure why.

squinty

Post by squinty » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:
squinty wrote:

Oh sorry, I missed the fact it was a 7.62x51 Saiga.
How do you like it and is it your DMR?
I kind of wish they'ld at least let us have un modified Saiga's here in Canada.
As to the ATI, yes there is cheek bite. You could glue or tape some high density foam rubber on the area and it would solve the issue, even a peice less than a half inch thick. I just haven't bothered for some reason.....not sure why.
I don't feel comfortable calling it my DMR 'cause I'm not skilled enough to be anybody's DM. The target mini is more accurate, when you take the trouble to tune it.

I like that the Saiga shoots a fairly heavy, deer rifle appropriate caliber. I got the 16" 'cause I like the easy to carry, easy to move around with OAL - important for a BITN gun. I'm sure I lose a lot of the benefit of .308 because of that short barrel, though, in exchange for some truly egregious noise and muzzle blast - if I miss a bad guy, I may still deafen the poor bastard and set him on fire. Don't want to put a flash hider on it because I want it to stay as short and handy as possible - which means no more length added to the muzzle. I could cut the barrel and stick on a permanent flash hider to bring the OAL up to 16", but I don't want to lose any more bore length than I already have by going 16" instead of 21. So it stays loud and flashy. May have someone recrown it for me though.

The trigger is weird, it moves more up and down than back and forth, its a little squishy, but not as bad as I expected. That up and down motion might be worse with a pistol grip, I still have the straight stock on it.

FWIW they aren't exactly unmodified in the states, either. Import laws say they have to wear Fudd costumes if they come to America.
I wish we could have reasonably priced Chicom M14 rifles down here. Or suppressors without jumping through all the hoops like our kiwi brethren.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Most of the restricted or prohibited firearms here Squinty are banned on looks alone, not performance or magical threat capability.
If I could swap you the Chicom M14S/M305 for a Saiga .308 with an 18.5" barrel (so it would be non restricted, semi autos need an 18.5" barrel to qualify) I would.
I also find that with the proper load and a 150-165 grain bullet an 18.5" barrel and .308 seem to go hand in hand with minnimal flash and dash but I understand why you want the shorter barrel.
Are you rural that the .308 makes a better choice than the intermediate cartridges?

flsgear
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O

Post by flsgear » Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Bump or Alarm system goes off -

Roll out of bed, grab 45 (S&W 4516-2, my EDC as well), reach under bed, put on ABA xtreme armor + 2nd chance STP. 45 is loaded with 230 grain Speer Gold Dots (for now).

Armor lies on top of gun case w/ Maadi AK & Rem 870 hunting shotgun.
Gun case gets handed to wife after she goes into bathroom. Wife knows to retreat to bathroom w/ phone & her .22 ruger from the nightstand.
I then go retrieve the toddler from his adjacent room and also return to bedroom. Wait for 911, cover only entrance to room (door). No sense pretending at this point, the kid will be crying his head off, so I'll be announcing very loudly that I'm armed and prepared to use deadly force if necessary.

Assuming I'm not engaged in the interim, I get the AK out, or the 870, depending on how I feel. The 870 is generally "Her" weapon though, so most likely I'll just grab the AK.

AK - wolf hollowpoints

870 - (7) centurion buck and ball rounds.

Of course... all of this is the plan... and we all know plans are just a list of things to fail
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

squinty

Post by squinty » Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:Most of the restricted or prohibited firearms here Squinty are banned on looks alone, not performance or magical threat capability.
If I could swap you the Chicom M14S/M305 for a Saiga .308 with an 18.5" barrel (so it would be non restricted, semi autos need an 18.5" barrel to qualify) I would.
I also find that with the proper load and a 150-165 grain bullet an 18.5" barrel and .308 seem to go hand in hand with minnimal flash and dash but I understand why you want the shorter barrel.
Are you rural that the .308 makes a better choice than the intermediate cartridges?
I was, but am no longer, so rural. Using the Saiga right now just because it's the only long gun I can easily mount a light to at the moment.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 pm

squinty wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:Most of the restricted or prohibited firearms here Squinty are banned on looks alone, not performance or magical threat capability.
I was, but am no longer, so rural. Using the Saiga right now just because it's the only long gun I can easily mount a light to at the moment.
Went and hammered 5 quick as I could BB magnums (2.75") through the Maverick and it didn't kiss me as badly as I remember. Didn't get to try more than that but I'll put some 1 ounce slugs and 12 ball 00 buck through it by end of week and see if it's as bad as I recall.

DarkScythe

Post by DarkScythe » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 am

My M&P 40c.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 am

squinty wrote:

Update (sorry took so long) I went and shot some skeet with a friend of mine and decided to pull out the Maverick, after several hundred skeet shot and 10 one ounce slugs as well as 10 00 buckshot and about a hundred BB magnums (all 2.75") I have to admit that the stock is pretty decent.
I hadn't actualy fired it more than a dozen times before, this time I did have some shoulder bruising at the end of the day but I wiegh about 145 pounds and the stock actualy absorbs a lot of the kick.
I like it and would recomend it.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 am

i want to buy the shittiest handgun i can find that works...so when i have to give it up for ballistics and know im never going to see it again. i wont care

but...right now its my SPS101 loaded with .357 wad cutters, then in my closet its my Maverick 88 with four rounds of #7 birdshot, then under my bed its my AR15 with 20 round of 55gn fmj...then if im feeling really frisky ive got my M91/30 mosin next to my computer desk with three rounds of 180 grain soft points...

for taking out black helicopters when the feds raid my home for looking at crypto pics :twisted:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Once when I was home sleeping after working graveyard shift I was awoken by an intruder that had broken into my home at 1:00PM. The only firearm I owned at the time was my 12 Gauge Remington 870 Express Super Magnum.

Once the burglar realized someone was home he fled. I cleared my home top to bottom with my 870 then called the Police. They caught up with the perp later hiding in a apartment building a couple of blocks away hiding under some stairs. Someone had called the police on him as he "looked suspicious".

Now my Baby Eagle II .40S&W with Meprolight Night sights serves as my home defense handgun. Before it was my HK45 with M6X Weapon Light and Laser but switched it up as I want something my wife feels comfortable shooting in case I'm not home.

I am trying to find a compact weapon light for my Baby Eagle. Might get a Crimsontrace CMR-202 Railmaster Weapon Light for it here soon. Until then I will have to use my handheld Surefire 6P Custom LED 380 Lumen Flashlight.

Now if Civil Unrest ever happens I will grab my Ruger Mini-30 with ATI Stock.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 pm

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:Once when I was home sleeping after working graveyard shift I was awoken by an intruder that had broken into my home at 1:00PM. The only firearm I owned at the time was my 12 Gauge Remington 870 Express Super Magnum.

Once the burglar realized someone was home he fled. I cleared my home top to bottom with my 870 then called the Police. They caught up with the perp later hiding in a apartment building a couple of blocks away hiding under some stairs. Someone had called the police on him as he "looked suspicious".

Now my Baby Eagle II .40S&W with Meprolight Night sights serves as my home defense handgun. Before it was my HK45 with M6X Weapon Light and Laser but switched it up as I want something my wife feels comfortable shooting in case I'm not home.

I am trying to find a compact weapon light for my Baby Eagle. Might get a Crimsontrace CMR-202 Railmaster Weapon Light for it here soon. Until then I will have to use my handheld Surefire 6P Custom LED 380 Lumen Flashlight.

Now if Civil Unrest ever happens I will grab my Ruger Mini-30 with ATI Stock.
I have a couple of the X2 sub-compact lights coming. They're supposed to fit on even the baby Taurus and subcompact M&( rails, so I'd imagine that (if nothing else fits) the X2 should fit the baby eagle. I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard good things about them. Common enough that I see holsters made for them.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Leckie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Leckie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Investigating cpreepy sounds is how horrormovies start.. I would close the blinds and continue what I was doing because it's probably just my cat going nuts on .. Everything that moves in the yard :v:
Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die.
- Tom Clancy

My topics:
Mylar bags FAQ and tips
Winter Survival 101
My BOB

DMCFFD

Post by DMCFFD » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Mossburg 590.

I keep it with a loaded mag, empty chamber. Theory is the slide action being jacked is first and only warning a perp gets. First 2 rounds in mag are birdshot, next 2 are OO Buck and lastly is 1 slug.
Firefighter
EMT
HazMat Specialist
Rescue Technician

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 pm

neener wrote:It's 1:00 a.m., and you hear a noise outside, what's the first gun you grab to go investigate?

Me personally, I'd grab either my Mini-14 or my 12 gauge coach gun, depending on where our dog is barking.

My ideal gun to grab would be an AR-15 chambered in .45 ACP with a 10.5 inch barrel and a Sure-Fire tactical light. But also in my ideal world, such a gun would only cost $400 and require no tax stamp.
Current BITN guns are my Pro CDP II .45 and a Double Star AR pistol (7.5 inch barrel)

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 am

Mine is a Mini-14 with a light mount. 20 round mag with Hornady 60 gn SP. Last thing I popped with it that was a " bump in the night" was a puma in my back yard at 3am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 am

Glock 17 with factory night sights, TLR1-S, and a 33 round mag loaded with Underwood 147 grainers. I'm not comfortable enough in my own rifle handling ability to run around my house with one alone in the dark. Pistol works much better, as your other hand can make phone calls, open doors, etc.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Bunni

Post by Bunni » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:30 am

I've had people break into apartments I was living in many times. I chased them with an axe and went back to bed. No one has ever stuck around long enough for me to shoot them anyways, but a large man laughing histarically while chasing them with an axe has to leave an impression. People don't necessarily deserve to die for coming in your house, but they definitely need to be reminded it's not alright.

Nearly killed a maintenance man who neglected to announce his entry after knocking, but I realized it was a familiar face when I had him pushed against the wall with my naked body, hand cocked in the air ready to drive an ax up into his groin. The moment became rather awkward because my room mate came running out of his room in boxers with a machete. Lets just say the words "Bunni why do you have an erection and what is he doing here?" and the response "I'm sorry I think I'm asleep. You are not a zergling. I will fix my penis, he isn't allowed. I am naked, goodnight." became an quote among the people in and around my life at the time. Awkward was explaining the quote to your father...

But ya I'd rather not use the firearm in close quarters, and my apartments are always close quarters. If its a bump outside, I have a 12ga M500 with 9-5 slugs (wax slug with #9 and #5 spiraled).

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:03 am

DMCFFD wrote:Theory is the slide action being jacked is first and only warning a perp gets. First 2 rounds in mag are birdshot
:(

I know I don't know you from Adam, and you probably couldn't care less about me, but please don't do that.

Please don't rely on scary noises or less effective ammunition to scare the bad guys away. If a situation demands using a firearm to defend yourself, surely it demands using it in the most effective way you can.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

DMCFFD

Post by DMCFFD » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
DMCFFD wrote:Theory is the slide action being jacked is first and only warning a perp gets. First 2 rounds in mag are birdshot
:(

I know I don't know you from Adam, and you probably couldn't care less about me, but please don't do that.

Please don't rely on scary noises or less effective ammunition to scare the bad guys away. If a situation demands using a firearm to defend yourself, surely it demands using it in the most effective way you can.
Trust me mate, I hear where you're coming from. This setup has worked before for me and mine and its especially useful in that at night, all family members are on the 2nd floor of the house, anything causing a bump in the night noise is going to hear the shotgun being racked as I'm beginning the clearing process and police are being notified. I follow a strict "Use of Force" guideline, and have trained with it for roughly 6 years now.
Firefighter
EMT
HazMat Specialist
Rescue Technician

Return to “What Would You Do?”