You've just been ordered to Evacuate

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bombastic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bombastic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 pm

(I tried a few queries with the search but apologies if this has already been discussed to death)

In the event that the authorities ordered an evacuation in your area and that no assistance would be provided to those remaining (and, for sake of argument, assuming you hadn't already bugged out), would you GTFO or defy the order and attempt to hunker down? Of course this really depends on the situation (Hurricane, Flooding, Russian Paratroopers, Zombie Outbreak, etc), so in which cases do you stay and in which do you go?

In my area (Florida Gulf Coast) the most likely threat is Hurricanes and I've always felt that unless it's a Category 4 or 5 I'm staying put. I've also thought I'd never ever go to the Public Shelters in the area. From what I understand, once you get in you wouldn't be able to leave and in any case I feel I have more and better supplies than they do.

Frank

Re: You've just been ordered to Evacuate

Post by Frank » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

1 consider the situation
2 bug out if its the best option
3 never go to a public/government shelter.

edit=isnt the plan behind prepping so we don't have to go to public shelter?
Last edited by Frank on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 pm

We have gone to friends homes in the past, just for the fun and socializing part of it, during power outages.
Now, however, we both agree we will Bug-In and party/take care of the neighbors. We are all set, so BRING IT! :mrgreen:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:37 pm

I would comply with all orders give by our FEMA Overlords.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

mantis

Post by mantis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 pm

I guess that it depends on what the disaster is. If I have to leave for reasons of safety (nuclear fallout, poison gas, fire, etc.) then I'd load the survial gear into the truck and execute the most appropriate bug out plan as per my disaster planning. If there was no immediate danger then I would probably stay put unless evacuation is mandatory. I have enough supplies and gear that the lack of assistance to those who stayed put wouldn't be an issue. The only issue would be an imminent danger. I would never, under any circumstances go to a public/government shelter. I can take care of myself and my family and I would never subjugate myself to someone else.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 pm

What would I do?

If the disaster is one of the numerous and more likely scenarios (flooding, civil unrest, major storms, etc) and the .gov is telling me to leave, then I'll evaluate the risks and benefits of BO vs BI, and in most cases save major flooding (I live in a high-risk area), I'll probably just BI. Most of my preps are centered around bugging in (something I only truly discovered thanks to the Outbreak II thread). If it's flooding, then I'm going to bug out toward higher ground (The hillside next to my house if the waters rise too fast, toward Jackson and one of the local motels if they are not at risk, or toward Hazard if Jackson is flooded out). I keep $120 in my meager BOB to pay for gas and a hotel room.

For the greater and less-likely disasters (nuclear war, Red invasion, or zombie outbreak), I'll probably still bug-in in most cases save Red invasion (as exciting as insurgency warfare and ragged cries of "WOLVERINES!" are, I'd want to skip that if at all possible).

The cold facts are staring me in the face, though. If I am forced to bug out in a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'm pretty much boned in the behind without lube until I can get together a respectable BOB and INCH: my BOAT only contains $2 in change, fishing stuff, a few Kleenexes, and a cigarette lighter + two strike-anywhere matches.

I'm working on building a respectable BOB right now. INCH comes later.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

No thank you, I'll just stay here with my food, water, and ammunition.

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 pm

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 pm

TOLD by FEMA? Listen, as soon as I hear FEMA is going to be showing up, I"m OUT! Talk about "there goes the neighborhood"......
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

none1

Post by none1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 am

Bombastic wrote: .......
In the event that the authorities ordered an evacuation in your area and that no assistance would be provided to those remaining (and, for sake of argument, assuming you hadn't already bugged out), would you GTFO or defy the order and attempt to hunker down? Of course this really depends on the situation (Hurricane, Flooding, Russian Paratroopers, Zombie Outbreak, etc), so in which cases do you stay and in which do you go?
1) "no assistance would be provided" has no impact on my decision, I'm prepping for a ZPAW where there won't be any government, so that doesn't affect my decision.

2) How hard are they ordering? Seriously? A "hey everybody leave now please" on the TV I feel a little more empowered to consider staying. National guard troops at my door with a tank and bunch of automatic rifles, I might consider the order more ..... pressing.

3) In a hurricane, I'd assume it's a cat 5, and if I'm not prepped for that, I'd leave. Hurricanes change severity, I'd hate to be bugging in thinking it's a cat 3, have it gain strength into a cat 5 and wash me and my house away ..... cat 3 coming = higher probability a cat 5 will come, if I'm not prepped for a cat 5, BO.

4) I consider an "evacuation" a degree of elevated seriousness. The gov issues evacuations when there is strong possibilities that a disaster is going to happen that "many people are unprepared for". I feel there are many situations that I am personally prepared for, where my neighbors are not, and so can see many situations arising where I'd stay and yet think it would be good for a local evacuation.

5) I am NOT prepared for all disasters. If a train derails, and a chemical spill or gas is moving towards my house, I'm probably gone with the evacuation orders.

I would evaluate the situation, bug out if warranted, not JUST because there has been an evacuation ordered.
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:41 am

elkhills wrote:Image
Are...are those zombies outside the Wal-Mart or was this taken on Black Friday?
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:55 am

No one is getting me out of my bunker. Orders ? I give the order in here !
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 am

Like you said, it depends on the event.

Really outside a true invasion style war, or the Blue Ridge Mountains blowing up, I'll be staying put. My BO plans mainly revolve around the length of the disaster vice the type of disaster.
But even than, the BOL's aren't far from my BIL. So if something is happening to make me want to evac the area it will have to be pretty major.
Yeti

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:27 am

It would depend on the situation but I probably wouldn't have any problems bugging out if mandatory. We have family to stay with in the next town over, on the other side of the state, in South Carolina, and if need be New York and California as well.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Frank

Post by Frank » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 pm

ive always wondered how legitimate was the Red dawn movie(?) part in which they targeted all the gun owners first?
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Poseidon wrote:ive always wondered how legitimate was the Red dawn movie(?) part in which they targeted all the gun owners first?
I'd say that that part is probably very realistic. An invader isn't going to want an armed populace running around.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Shadow_Man
Favorite Zombie Movies: I Am Legend, 28 Days/Months, Omega Man.

Post by Shadow_Man » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Unless it's something like the Yellowstone Caldera blowing up, (which would probably put me under 20+ feet of ash) in which case I'd still have to think about it. Or I'm in the direct impact zone for a world ending asteroid hit, which it wouldn't matter anyways where I was, I'm not going anywhere.

I have no desire to be a refuge on the road at the mercy of The Powers That Be.....thank you NO!
LET THE ZOMBIE STOMPING BEGIN!

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Who says do what now? I didn't hear a thing. :roll:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Seven2
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Seven2 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 pm

NoAmnesty wrote:We have gone to friends homes in the past, just for the fun and socializing part of it, during power outages.
Now, however, we both agree we will Bug-In and party/take care of the neighbors. We are all set, so BRING IT! :mrgreen:
Quoted for bookmark
I'ma make a deal with the bad wolf so the bad wolf don’t bite no more.

JudgeDreadd

Post by JudgeDreadd » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Asses the nature of the threat; the size of the area and population being evac'd, the expected duration and severity, and the expected gov't response.

Try and get as much information as possible from public media and those ordering me to evac: where are they sending people, along which routes, to where, for how long, why?

Make a judgement call; can myself and my family ride out the coming storm in our current location, or would it be strategically beneficial to relocate to another nearby location, friend's house, family's house, reinforced building, or refugee camp?

Being a survivor is about leaving your pride and your guns on the shelf if you have to, for your own life and that of those you care about. I'm in better shape than most, but my house is not a castle made of stone and my pantry is not a storeroom with months of supplies. That's my reality.
by-the-throat wrote: I assume you've already screened your current associates for rabid rascism, pedophila, laziness and excessive tin foil hattery?
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

JudgeDreadd wrote:Asses
:lol:

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

mantis wrote:
Poseidon wrote:ive always wondered how legitimate was the Red dawn movie(?) part in which they targeted all the gun owners first?
I'd say that that part is probably very realistic. An invader isn't going to want an armed populace running around.
Very.
It was a direct run in with a defacto registration as the form has to be kept on file by the store. And if the store ever closes, Big Brother gets them.
Yeti

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Your plan should be to piss into the wind. Trust me, nothing bad will happen.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “What Would You Do?”