Bear's PAW scenario 10... two all beef patties ...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Bear's PAW scenario 10... two all beef patties ...

Post by Bear_B » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:42 pm

Chapter 10 – Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese…

As we stood at the rear of the truck gazing across the street, nothing on Earth seemed more important at that point in time as getting this little girl a Happy Meal.

I looked over at Jim. Then at Debbie and Beverly. They all nodded at me.

“Let’s go get a hamburger!” I said excitedly.

With whoops and cheers we boarded the truck for the short trip across the street.

I pulled the truck as close to the entrance as I possibly could. I had considered leaving the truck running, but thought better of it and took the keys with me. No sense in giving a bandit the chance to just drive off in our wheels and with our supplies!

Jim and I entered the McDonalds first, pistols in hand. Jim had his .357 magnum, and I had my Glock. I left Ray’s Ruger SP101 with Beverly. She, Debbie and Heather waited with the truck.

Jim pulled on the glass door, and not surprisingly it opened. I entered first, and Jim came in close behind me.

The place was a mess, but not damaged. Chairs that were once stacked on the tables, as is usual near closing time, now were scattered about the floor.

The dining area had no signs that anyone had been here recently. None of the lights were on but we didn’t know yet if this meant there was no power, or the lights were simply turned off.

We made an immediate right and went down the hall way. The first door was marked “Employees Only” which I assumed meant it went to the kitchen.

The next two doors were marked “Ladies” and “Gentlemen”. The restrooms. By this point the hallway had gotten really dark. Jim and I both had small flashlights in our pockets so we quickly took them out and snapped them on.

The lady’s room was first. Jim and I used the same entry technique going into he ladies room as we had coming into the restaurant. Jim put the flashlight in his teeth, and with his free hand he snatched the door open, and I entered, clearing the room. I checked every stall and found absolutely nothing.

I flipped the light switch up and down, but nothing happened. The power was definitely out.

Next came the men’s room. We met with exactly the same results as we had with the lady’s room. Which is to say nothing at all.
Jim and I went to the third door, which was actually the first door we had approached. It occurred to me then how stupid it was to pass this door. Had something come out of the kitchen while we were in the restrooms and came after us we would have been trapped.

We entered this door the same way we had entered the others. Jim snatched the door open, and I entered first with my Glock drawn, and with Jim close on my heels.

The kitchen and serving areas were a mess, but again nothing looked damaged. The cash registers hung open and were empty of their contents, papers lay all over the floor, but all the kitchen equipment appeared functional.

Jim grinned at me and winked. I couldn’t help myself, I grinned back.

I ran back outside to bring the girls in while Jim prepped the grill.

The girls rushed in excitedly and immediately set out to clean up the dining area a bit, while I went back and helped Jim.

I could hear the girls bustling about in the dining area and talking excitedly and laughing.

When I reached Jim he already had most of the supplies out and ready.

I eyed the meat patties suspiciously and Jim shook his head. He explained that the big walk-in freezers ran on a cycle and as long as they were shut off at the freezing point of the cycle the meat could stay frozen for a good long time before going bad. Apparently the restaurant was not without power all that long because the meat was still good, as were the buns and condiments.

Unfortunately without power we couldn’t do French fries, but even that didn’t dampen my spirits.

Going to the front area I looked under the counter and found a stack of Happy Meal boxes, and a case of various toys. I took two boxes. One was for the food, and into the other I put one of each kind of toy I could find.

I also found trays and placemats, and took these out as well to carry the food out.

In short order the place smelled wonderfully like hamburgers frying on the grill. The soda machines didn’t work, but I found bottled water what was still fairly cold. I would have preferred an icy cold soda, but I would settle for the water.

The girls had the dining area put back into some semblance of order and had places set up for everyone.

A few minutes later Jim and I brought out trays piled high with Big Macs and hamburgers, and cheese burgers!
Heather’s eyes lit up with delight when she discovered the Happy Meal box full of toys! At this point in time, life couldn’t get much better than this.

We munched burgers, talked, laughed and generally had a wonderful time.

Heather sat between Jim and Debbie and looked like she belonged there. They were laughing and goofing with Heather like they all belonged together. I guess at this time the did indeed belong together.

I felt a soft hand on my arm and looked over to see the most beautiful set of eyes looking back at me that I have ever seen.

“Thank you” Beverly smiled at me. “Thank you for this Bear. We all needed it.”

I squirmed in my seat and grinned what was probably the most sheepish grin of my life.

“You’re welcome” I replied.

Beverly slid a little closer to me and wrapped both her lean muscular arms around my bearish sized bicep. She laid her head on my shoulder and looked more content than I have ever seen her before. Her hair was soft on my arm and still carried the scent of the sweet smelling shampoo she used.

We watched Jim and Debbie playing with Heather, and laughing. We laughed right along with them.

By the look in Debbie’s eyes she was in love with Jim, and I knew Jim well enough to know that the feeling was reciprocated, even if they had not yet spoken the words to each other.

Maybe, just maybe things would be ok. At least we stood a chance as long as there were people like this in the world.

A few hours later found us in the truck cruising down the road in our new truck with a stash of McDonald’s apple pies tucked into the little refrigerator in the sleeper cab. The stereo blared with the sound of the Dukes of Hazard theme song. Apparently our buddy Ray was quite the show tune fan and had quite the CD collection of Television and Movie sound tracks.

It was early afternoon when our reverie was interrupted by the reality of life again.

Smoke.

In the distance I could see smoke rising in a dark plume into the air. Apparently something was on fire. The question was… what was it?

The next question was, do we investigate?

The girls were in the back of the sleeper cab singing along with the various show tunes emanating from Ray’s collection, but Jim was up front with me. He saw the smoke too.

“What do you think?” I asked.

“Dunno” replied Jim. “Could be something, could be nothing. You wanna check it out?”

I considered this for a minute. The safety of my group was first and foremost in my mind, but at the same time what if there was someone still alive and in trouble we could possibly help.

It wasn’t long before we were close enough to see the source of the smoke. A few hundred yards off the interstate was a farm house that was on fire.

I pulled off to the side of the road, and we watched the farm house for a minute. Jim pulled out a set of binoculars and handed them to me.

I scanned the distant farmhouse for movement. The house was nearly gone, but there was definite activity. Through the smoke I could make out a building the size of a house, but square with no windows. Probably a barn or a storage shed of some kind. What concerned me was the shamblers that were trying to get IN to the building!

There only appeared to be 5 or 6 shamblers, but there was definitely something in the building they wanted, and wanted bad!

“Shit” I muttered and handed the binoculars to Jim so he could see.

By this time Beverly had made her way up front to see why we had stopped. I quickly appraised her of the situation, and she had a look through the glasses herself. He jaw was set when she turned to me.

“Someone is trapped in there. We can’t just leave whoever it is in there!” she said.

“I agree” said Jim. “It may be a child, or a family that needs help in there”.

I looked through the glasses again. Most of the shamblers were dressed in jeans or coveralls. Neighbors? Or maybe the family that lived in the house that now was burning to the ground?

My first instinct was to turn the truck a sharp left and plow through the fields to reach the barn, but was that the right thing to do?

Was it right to jeopardize the lives of these people for whatever these shamblers wanted so badly in that barn?

To Be Continued… (what would YOU do?)


This completes Book One of The Bear's PAW series. This first book will soon be available in a spiral bound soft cover book.

If you are interested in receiving this, and the following books please PM me so I know how many copies to order.

Remember that the first several chapters were written here as a "what would you do" and have snice been converted to story format.

I am also looking for some help designing a cover for this short story.

Thanks for reading, and I welcome all feedback and suggestions.

-Bear
Last edited by Bear_B on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Post by randomusername » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:03 am

I say avoid any dangerous irigation ditches or debris of any kind and take the beaten path as fast as I could to the house. This will also give you more time to assess enemy numbers.

User avatar
mr.trooper
* * * * *
Posts: 4357
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Post by mr.trooper » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:11 am

Help them Bear!

You and Jim need to go kick some Zombie Butt!

If there are only 5 or 6, then the two of you could pick them off before they got close enough.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Amber
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:06 pm

Re: Bear's PAW scenario 10...

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:38 am

Bear_B wrote:
I looked through the glasses again. Most of the shamblers were dressed in jeans or coveralls. Neighbors? Or maybe the family that lived in the house that now was burning to the ground?
What's that matter? The zombies want something in there, it might be a clue to what's going on or someone who needs help. It might also be a trap by raiders. So procede with caution, always.

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Post by Brekar » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:15 am

I agree with Gallagher, as long as you can avoid things like ditches or debris that could harm the vehicle then go for it, if it turns out that there are more the 5 or 6 once you get closer then revaluate wither or not it is worth it the proceed...
If there are only 5 or 6 then take them from a distance if possible, and then decide how to go from there...
Reguardless I'd proceed with caution...

Later...

User avatar
Shmerlin
* * * * *
Posts: 5183
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:25 pm
Location: West Palm, FL
Contact:

Post by Shmerlin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:25 am

Brekar wrote:I agree with Gallagher, as long as you can avoid things like ditches or debris that could harm the vehicle then go for it, if it turns out that there are more the 5 or 6 once you get closer then revaluate wither or not it is worth it the proceed...
If there are only 5 or 6 then take them from a distance if possible, and then decide how to go from there...
Reguardless I'd proceed with caution...

Later...
Another way to to this is to dismount the two's of you make your way up fast through the front yard with one of the women folk covering you from the bed of the truck. Take out the zombies while moving up to the house then investigate and see what or who was in the hosue. If it was nothing see if there are any supplies you can scrounge and move on. If it is people help them and take them along with your merry band. If its raiders well at this point YUR Focked but at least the women folk would be able to see you get captured and most likely killed and be able to try and leave in the truck.

How ever I just don't think it is a trap.

-Andrew
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

User avatar
Foxen
* * *
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Post by Foxen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:08 am

Bear - thanks for starting these scenarios up again...I find them fun and challenging. I also think that perhaps, you should change the main character's name, lest the Missus gets the wrong idea (heh).

Anyhow....

So the barn has almost completely burned down and the zombies are still trying to get in eh? All we got are handguns eh? And the bandits...or other bandits? This may be a trap...but then again....it might not. There's timed pressure with the burning barn...smart...so no time to cautiously scout out the situation...eh?

First - I would ask Jim and the ladies to look around...try to see if there are possible ambushes and people hiding some place or another.... I am still paranoid because of the recent bandits, and I want to make sure we don't fall into another nasty trap...like driving up the road to the barn only to get caught into a hidden pit or something to pop the tires etc.

Second - Yank the horn...LOUD frickin horn blaring to see if we can draw the zombies away from the building. Meanwhile, Jim and the ladies can look out for ambush...see if people notice us etc. The horn...however loud it may be, won't draw any more attention than the burning smoke...at least from live human threats....I guess I take a risk with attracting more zombies. But they are called shamblers for a reason...it'll be a while before any draw close.

If we detect no ambushes...no live humans catching our attention...I would pull the truck closer...and continue honking the horn. All the while, the ladies can look out for potential ambush, and Jim monitoring the situation with the zombies.

I would then get on the road....that leads to the barn...and drive up slow. Jim could possibly get out, armed, and check ahead for any hidden road traps, while I continue to draw the zombies' attention.

if the road looks clear, and the zombies head for us, I would give the engine a good roar, and charge forth...ramming the zombies, if possible, to oblivion....then back up just in case. Jim, meanwhile, can mop up any smashed zombies with a bat or with a gun...just in case they aren't completely freed from their undead torture. The women, again, would be asked to keep an eye out for ambush...dammit.

Then we may approach the building and proceed from there... Hopefully, whatever is in there, is still alive (human)...but please, let it not be Betsy, the farmers' pet cow...


However...if after we honk and we hear screaming from within the barn, and the building REALLY looks like it'll collapse...I would doublecheck with the women and Jim, and well, if they are cool with the idea of charging in, we RUSH in honking and hopefully smashing the zombies while we're at it...and maybe even crash through the barn doors then backing up like some crazed trucker SWAT team... Maybe not.

Fox

User avatar
MatC
* * *
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:41 am
Location: ENY

Re: Bear's PAW scenario 10... two all beef patties ...

Post by MatC » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:30 am

Bear_B wrote:Beverly slid a little closer to me and wrapped both her lean muscular arms around my massive bicep. She laid her head on my shoulder and looked more content than I have ever seen her before.
LOL @ "my massive bicep." Bear, I'm sure you're totally ripped, but this still made me laugh. :D I agree with Foxen -- I hope that Kat knows all about these scenarios and approves of them. ;)

As for the scenario, I would tend to disagree that it is a trap. After all, it's fairly unlikely that after several weeks in the PAW, a bunch of raiders would set a building on fire in the hopes that someone happened to be nearby and interested enough to come check it out before the building collapsed. Also, placing the zombies would have taken some doing, so my feeling is that it's a real situation.

I agree with an earlier comment -- sound the horn and make it obvious you're coming. Maybe you can draw the zombies away from the building and deal with them by running them over with the truck instead of having to endanger yourself or waste ammo. (You'll probably have to clean one or two of them up with the guns, but conserving ammo is important at this point.)

So, draw the zombies away, keeping as many people in the truck as possible to facilitate a quick getaway if necessary. (If possible, you could even try to back down the driveway in case you need to head out quickly.) From there, it's just a matter of what the situation offers us...

-- Mat
jamoni wrote: ...a gun is NOT the most important survival tool, your mind is.
GunDown wrote:There are times in our lives where we have to make the best out of a horrible situation. The solution to this problem (and many others) is alcohol.

User avatar
bgaesop
* * * * *
Posts: 4299
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:14 pm
Location: Denver, Co, USA
Contact:

Post by bgaesop » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:56 am

Go check it out. If they want, the others can stay behind. Take at least one person, though, to watch your back. Also, for a cover, I would suggest something like this(try to picture it, me no words work good)


You and your family, looking away from the camera, towards a rising sun, with zombies walking towards you, silhouetted by the sun. You are getting your glock out of your holster, and there is a slight blur on everyone, as they start to run.

ThatOneGuy
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by ThatOneGuy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:02 pm

I say see if you can help whoever is in the building.

User avatar
HEX
* *
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Merry olde England (reading)

Re: Bear's PAW scenario 10... two all beef patties ...

Post by HEX » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:18 pm

MatC wrote:
Bear_B wrote:Beverly slid a little closer to me and wrapped both her lean muscular arms around my massive bicep. She laid her head on my shoulder and looked more content than I have ever seen her before.
LOL @ "my massive bicep." Bear, I'm sure you're totally ripped, but this still made me laugh.

+1

I'd drive in a little closer and try and get a better idea of who/what was in the building, then if it turned out to be something worth defending i'd take out the z''s from as far away as possible before moving very cautiously in.

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:54 pm

bgaesop wrote:

You and your family, looking away from the camera, towards a rising sun, with zombies walking towards you, silhouetted by the sun. You are getting your glock out of your holster, and there is a slight blur on everyone, as they start to run.

That sounds really good, but I have no idea how I would CREATE a cover like that.

I was thinking of something a bit more simple... maybe a picture of me with my Glock next to a big truck?

Or maybe just a big biohazard symbol... I dunno... I have no creative imagination when it comes to design like that.
Image

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:56 pm

So the barn has almost completely burned down and the zombies are still trying to get in eh?
No dude, the barn is under seige by the zombies but its not burning at this time... the house is. :wink:
Image

User avatar
wilycyt
* *
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:33 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by wilycyt » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:57 pm

Bear_B wrote:
Or maybe just a big biohazard symbol... I dunno... .


*Cough Cough.....28 Days Later Cover.......Cough Cough*
nicklefish wrote:
Impus wrote:My neighbor has been applying some chemical warfare in fits and spurts, but I'm still seeing buzzy bastards.

Any other ideas?
Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Bear, I'm sure you're totally ripped, but this still made me laugh.

Ripped? No, just bear sized! I fixed the story... it wasnt meant to be funny... well... maybe a little, but not that much! :wink:
Image

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Foxen wrote:Bear - thanks for starting these scenarios up again...I find them fun and challenging. I also think that perhaps, you should change the main character's name, lest the Missus gets the wrong idea (heh).


Fox

Not to worry... Kat_B reads all my stories! :P
Image

User avatar
Foxen
* * *
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Post by Foxen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:43 pm

Oops...I misread somehow. Anyhow, since the house is burning but the barn is not on fire...there wasn't the same time pressure that I thought there was before...

That being said...I'd go with my original approach, but take it much slower, checking the road for traps and slowly moving forward while honking the horn. If the zombies do come a charging, I'll fricking charge back...but armed with a several ton cab dammit!


And on another note...I forgot that Kat read all your stories...hehe, be sure to complete this series!!! Also, if you want a quick edit, feel free to send me an e-copy. I'll try to catch minor mistakes and crap.

Fox

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:57 pm

Foxen wrote:Oops...I misread somehow. Anyhow, since the house is burning but the barn is not on fire...there wasn't the same time pressure that I thought there was before...

That being said...I'd go with my original approach, but take it much slower, checking the road for traps and slowly moving forward while honking the horn. If the zombies do come a charging, I'll fricking charge back...but armed with a several ton cab dammit!


And on another note...I forgot that Kat read all your stories...hehe, be sure to complete this series!!! Also, if you want a quick edit, feel free to send me an e-copy. I'll try to catch minor mistakes and crap.

Fox
Cool. PM Me your email address.
Image

User avatar
CaptainZ
* * *
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Utah

Post by CaptainZ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:22 am

FINALLY. The next edition. I checked the paw section like 10 times a day to see when #10 was done.


Of course you help. However, the house is on fire for a reason. The shamblers probably got in, and a fight began, and something happend that the house caught fire, and the home owners fled to the barn. They may have been bitten. They may have supplies.

However, I wouldnt discount a trap. You have already encountered a trap(I.E. the roadside bomb)by the raiders before. Who is to say that the raiders didnt take the family hostage, and then have scouts watching what you were doing at the mcdonalds and radio in when you were close. When you were getting close, they set the house on fire knowing that you would stop. They still want your women, so they will do anything. They may have the people in the barn bound and gagged, and when you untie them, its too late and they have already stolen your women and supplies, or surrounded you so you have no escape. They wouldnt have to put the zombies there, they probably were already there, or nearby.

I say that yes you do help them, but either you do it from a distance by picking the zombies off, or you run them over with the truck. By no means should they leave the women and the truck behind because that is just asking for trouble. If you decide to park and walk to the barn on foot, then all of you must go. I think the best way to go is to pull the truck up right to the barn(and dont get out)and run the zombies over. Then honk the horn and shout to whoever is in the barn. If they open the door and its raiders, drive away. If it is survivors, let them in, but dont get out.
Zombies man.....They creep Me out. - Dennis Hopper Land Of The Dead

User avatar
MCJ
* *
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:07 am
Contact:

Post by MCJ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:38 pm

Of course I would go in.

It would make the story more interesting. :lol:
To tell you the truth, zombies in this world would be kind of interesting. I'd probably be bitten, but then, so would a lot of people.

User avatar
Orson
* * * * *
Posts: 2233
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: IN UR BASE, EATING UR FOODZ

Post by Orson » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Honk the horn to properly assess the situation to know how many shamblers you have to get past.
kyle wrote:I, for once, actually agree with gundown.
GunDown wrote: I never would have fucked her if she didn't have a vagina.

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Jeriah » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:21 pm

I am having difficulty understanding any course of action but the following:

Dispatch any zombies visible, from long range, using a high-powered scoped rifle, or, failing that, from slightly closer, from the truck, which is still running and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

When no more zombies are visible, attempt to establish communication with anyone in the barn, by hollering at them. If there are living people inside, and they answer, give them any help that you can without substantially affecting your own survival potential.

If no response is heard, carefully search/clear the barn, using standard building clearing procedures. Leave a responsible, armed person to watch the truck and see if anyone else, or more zombies, show up for the party.
Image

Carnagexxxx
*
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 3:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Post by Carnagexxxx » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:56 am

I personally think there are a lot of "what ifs" that make it too difficult to decide. What if someone is in there but they are bitten? What if there is someone in the barn up in a hay loft but there are zombies inside scratching to get up in the loft? What if the barn is just a site for a zombie rave full of zombie ravers and the ones outside weren't cool enough to get in? What if the people you save could be a detriment to the group? Not necessarily raiders but someone who throws off group chemistry? You need to plan for these things. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few. I think that it is obvious that you have to proceed with caution. One other future consideration for the future is you really need a high powered long range rifle to drop any baddies from 150+ yards so as not to disclose your location as easily as with CCC. Just my thoughts for now.
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you? Hmm? Hmm? And well you should not for my ally is the Force."

User avatar
Bear_B
* * * * *
Posts: 9267
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Bear_B » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:43 am

I have removed the story from my website and left only a teaser.

No sense in giving it all away! 8)
Image

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”