You are going 1000 years into the future.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

taskforce71

Re: You are going 1000 years into the future.

Post by taskforce71 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Some of you say that the stuff you bring will be "collector's items" in the future. I doubt that it would be worth the risk because you forgot something: INFLATION. Did you know that only 38 years ago, a Ferrari Daytona was worth $9,000? In 2006, it was worth $240,000 but that ain't anywhere near enough to even save up for retirement. What if suddenly, inflation reached the point where a crappy compact car costs $100,000? It has happened over and over throughout history. I bet it'll still be a serious problem 1,000 years in the future.

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm

taskforce71 wrote:Some of you say that the stuff you bring will be "collector's items" in the future. I doubt that it would be worth the risk because you forgot something: INFLATION. Did you know that only 38 years ago, a Ferrari Daytona was worth $9,000? In 2006, it was worth $240,000 but that ain't anywhere near enough to even save up for retirement. What if suddenly, inflation reached the point where a crappy compact car costs $100,000? It has happened over and over throughout history. I bet it'll still be a serious problem 1,000 years in the future.

a few other ideas?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 am

Didn't Laurence Manning write a book about a guy who figured out how to leap frog thru time, by sleeping in sus.animation for a thousand years at a time?
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Several people have pointed out that things may have advanced to a point where a man from the 21st Century would be lost or we might step out to find things at a stone age level. I'd like to point out that humanity may very well be at any point in between the two, or it could go off on a completely unforeseen tangent.

With that in mind I'd set the family farm up in a trust with a hands off agreement with the govt, this will include tax's & imminent domain. I really don't think the present form of govt would still be in place or able to maintain their side of the agreement but it'd be worth a try. I'd also set the trust up so that it would acquire other properties all over the world whenever possible. Copies of the trust, deeds, birth certificate, detailed diagram/instructions on how to build a CD reader, & letter of introduction laser engraved on heavy foil made of gold, silver, & platinum. I'd sit down with leading scientist before leaving & pick their brains about possible future metal shortages that I might be able to exploit (who knows copper might be the new gold in 1k years). My coin collection, if society doesn't collapse it may appreciate way beyond the value of the metals. Put a team of aforementioned eggheads to work producing the most durable CD's possible & loading them with information chosen by a panel of historians, archeologist, physicists, geneticists, & whoever else they suggest. No more CD's than what could fit in one stack from top to bottom of the bucket with each one sealed in a mylar envelope. One set of coveralls in silk, light shorts, socks, moccasins (well treated for preservation), good fixed blade knife, Leatherman Wave multitool, & dozen stainless steel arrowheads. Knife, multitool, & arrowheads packed into cosmoline. If that's too much for the bucket I could cut the coin collection (two cigar boxes worth) in half & maybe reduce the number of CD's (you know there's going to be some worthless stuff in there :wink: ).
If time permitted I'd hope that the govt would spring for a complete medical once over (maybe get a few things fixed, torn cartilage etc) & a good course on primitive survival.

Maybe if there's room we could toss in deeds for most of the third world & the moon, it just might be a gamble that could pay off big time. :lol:
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

bcvojak

Post by bcvojak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Everything would be vacuum packed -

Clothes & Shoes
Folding Knife
Some silver & gold
Water filter straw x 2

Would ammo last 1,000 years???? Don't know. .
IF SO
- Glock 19 + 5 loaded mags (75 rnds) with springs removed + springs + another 75 round
- Holster
IF NOT
- A mid-sized fix blade knife
- Nunchucks

Probably be killed in two weeks by some futuristic mutated flu or common cold virus that I don't have any immunity to.

Some simple things like a handful of some meds - ibuprofen, Imodium, Cipro, Pepto would be worthless as they would lose all value in 1,000 years. . . Even a flashlight would be worthless as batteries would be DOA in just 10 years. . 20 at most.
BCVojak
Pacific NW

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I'd bring a zippo lighter. I will give these primitave futurians the gift of fire!

BillDfensFoster

Post by BillDfensFoster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Pogs. I'm telling you guys they will be worth some serious do one day .
Now you're gonna die in that stupid hat. How does it feel ?- Bill Foster
I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.--Daniel Plainview

Kevin S.

Post by Kevin S. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm

1000 years in the future? noone knows? FML. i'll get the top scientists working on vacuum-sealing things in glass then take a set of clothes(comfy), and a pocket pussy, cuz let's face it, my game will either be like a "special person" eating ice cream while changing a tire, or...well...i got nothing...
"god people are fucking retarded..."

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 pm

who thinks it will be a high tech future? or a mad max type? or just what it is today?

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 am

what type of goverment/society do you expect to find...big goverment or constitutional government?

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:46 pm

^^^ Apes and Monkeys
...It's been a while...

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 pm

back from the past, WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:54 am

wamba wrote:Several people have pointed out that things may have advanced to a point where a man from the 21st Century would be lost or we might step out to find things at a stone age level. I'd like to point out that humanity may very well be at any point in between the two, or it could go off on a completely unforeseen tangent.

With that in mind I'd set the family farm up in a trust with a hands off agreement with the govt, this will include tax's & imminent domain. I really don't think the present form of govt would still be in place or able to maintain their side of the agreement but it'd be worth a try. I'd also set the trust up so that it would acquire other properties all over the world whenever possible. Copies of the trust, deeds, birth certificate, detailed diagram/instructions on how to build a CD reader, & letter of introduction laser engraved on heavy foil made of gold, silver, & platinum. I'd sit down with leading scientist before leaving & pick their brains about possible future metal shortages that I might be able to exploit (who knows copper might be the new gold in 1k years). My coin collection, if society doesn't collapse it may appreciate way beyond the value of the metals. Put a team of aforementioned eggheads to work producing the most durable CD's possible & loading them with information chosen by a panel of historians, archeologist, physicists, geneticists, & whoever else they suggest. No more CD's than what could fit in one stack from top to bottom of the bucket with each one sealed in a mylar envelope. One set of coveralls in silk, light shorts, socks, moccasins (well treated for preservation), good fixed blade knife, Leatherman Wave multitool, & dozen stainless steel arrowheads. Knife, multitool, & arrowheads packed into cosmoline. If that's too much for the bucket I could cut the coin collection (two cigar boxes worth) in half & maybe reduce the number of CD's (you know there's going to be some worthless stuff in there :wink: ).
If time permitted I'd hope that the govt would spring for a complete medical once over (maybe get a few things fixed, torn cartilage etc) & a good course on primitive survival.

Maybe if there's room we could toss in deeds for most of the third world & the moon, it just might be a gamble that could pay off big time. :lol:
Love your post.

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:22 am

a five gallon bucket with contents that will survive 1000 years?
fill the bucket with 30 weight motor oil, one knife, one sharpening stone, one flint fire starter striker, fork, fist sized chunk of flint, an assortment of hooks and pins, a hammer head, a file, an adze head and a chisel.

if everything is a nuclear wasteland, i'll be okay.
if the world is like the jetsons, i'll amaze them with my primitive time travelling gear.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:31 am

Teej85 wrote:ISomething to get across the language barrier:
Rosetta Disk
http://rosettaproject.org/disk/concept/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Off topic a bit

That is so cool! I want one so badly now. But not $10,000 bad. Since the only way I see to get one is to donate $10K to their foundation. And that is a deal compared to the previous version that you only got for $25,000 donation, though the v1.0 was two sided and had a nice picture of the earth and looked like a pretty ornament that would look good on a mantel or shelf, the new version is single sided and not as much an artistic statement without the earth and list of languages.

WTF Long Now Foundation, if you really want one of these to possibly survive and help someone in the future figure out ancient dead languages. Then you should make these as affordable as possible and have them spread all over the globe! If these were affordable I would so buy one for everyone on my X-mas list. If they were a bit expensive but not unreasonable I would buy one for myself to set on the mantel. But $10K is just ridiculous. I understand they are a giant nonprofit trying to do a bunch of expensive projects, but seriously the Rosetta Disks would be smart to release affordable to the public rather than a few thousand generous donators. How do I know only a few thousand? Because they # their disks and if I buy a $10,000 membership my number would be 5094.

Very interesting group btw Teej85, I will have to look into them more the 10,000 yr clock looks interesting. I will have to research more about this group and their projects.

Back on topic..

As for me, hell with these idiot gov folks trying to shove me into cryo. I ain't going without a fight. Giving me just a bucket for supplies just doesn't cut it. That is a deal breaker for me. I would need/want a shipping container full of stuff at the least if not a large warehouse/bunker full of stuff. If I am going blind and naked into the future I want my cryo/tomb filled with all the things I will want/need in the nextlife/future life not a small bucket of things. So if they are firm on the bucket concept then I am a no go to the future.

BTW for everyone saying gold for storing info, sure you can do that in hopes gold is valued still. But there is not much need if your just trying to keep the info. Paper (acid free) will easily last 1000 yrs if given just moderate protection, and would likely last 2000 yrs with decent storage and security of said bucket. Though with no limit to your expenses why not make 'em print it on gold right?
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:49 am

Hmm after a little thought, maybe now I know about the Long Now Foundation, maybe I would buy as many Rosetta Disks as I can and fit into the bucket. With that sort of donation these folks who are planning some long term projects will likely bring me a set of clothes and all I need in the future. :lol: And with how ever many lifetime memberships I would have for the foundation with all those disks I could hand those out to a ton of my family and friends and hopefully some of the families would still be around and appreciative to me after 1000 yrs.

I mean it is not like I am doing anything amazing and special these days. So why not check out the future. :crazy:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:01 am

vegasguy wrote:who thinks it will be a high tech future? or a mad max type? or just what it is today?
You ask a couple of good questions (this & the one about what kind of govt to expect), that could make or break many of the proposed plans. My theory is to hope for the best but plan for the worst. If I arrive & find a stable society with all the comforts of home then my instant celebrity status (or govt Guinea pig status) means I wont want for money or creature comforts. However if everything went downhill I'll want some basic tools so I can scratch out some kind of life. With my luck it'll go in a completely unexpected direction & I'll wind up as the equivalent of a pet or residing in some kind of lab.

Glad you enjoyed my previous post, it's always nice to know someone appreciates my nonsense. :clap:
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 am

The disembodied yet functional heads of Lucy Liu and Richard Nixon. Plus, whatever fluids are needed to keep them alive. Maybe some stock in Slurm.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Gold and silver. They've been good for the past 5,000 years, so they'll still work in 1,000 years.
50 years ago a silver dollar was good for 4 gallons of gas. Today the silver value will still get 4 gals.
How much can ya get with a paper dollar from 50 years ago??

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00 am

Fill the bucket with gold, it's been valuable for literally the entire history of human civilization and I don't see that changing.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 am

gundogs wrote:Gold and silver. They've been good for the past 5,000 years, so they'll still work in 1,000 years.
50 years ago a silver dollar was good for 4 gallons of gas. Today the silver value will still get 4 gals.
Gold and silver only work if they're still rare. What if they are no longer as precious in the future?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_Resources
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:14 am

Rev wrote:
gundogs wrote:Gold and silver. They've been good for the past 5,000 years, so they'll still work in 1,000 years.
Gold and silver only work if they're still rare. What if they are no longer as precious in the future?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_Resources
Man,this whole thread is about speculating what may be useful in 1,000 years.
Nobody can know

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 am

I'd fill it with items which may have value in the future to a collector.
- iPhone gen 1
- iPad gen 1
- Zippo lighter
- Mickey Mouse Pez dispenser
- WW1 Luger (with a box of ammo)
- 1 Gold Eagle Coin (MS grade)
- 1 Silver Eagle Coin (MS grade)
- 1 Bottle of Dom Perignon (oldest year I could find)
- Michael Jordon high tops (signed by MJ)
- Payton Manning Signed Jersey
- The best condition Honus Wagner Card I could find.

That should all fit.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:32 am

NamelessStain wrote:- 1 Bottle of Dom Perignon (oldest year I could find)
Better to go with Scotch. Champagne can go bad in the bottle after a while.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Return to “What Would You Do?”