The Dreaded "Reset Button"

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Redeker_Plan

Re: The Dreaded "Reset Button"

Post by Redeker_Plan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 am

Toro Azul wrote:I'm a special ed teacher in a major metropolitan area.

Yeah...

I'm probably fucked unless you're wearing a rainbow hat with a propeller!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am

Toro Azul wrote:I'm a special ed teacher in a major metropolitan area.

Yeah...

I'm probably fucked unless you're wearing a rainbow hat with a propeller!
wow! you obviously know you dont work with sany vmembers of ZS.

I cook for a living. Doesnt sound like much. But expand it to understanding hunting and gardening, and I might make a biz out of it.

For example. Always watching survivor, and they are eating coconut. Find some honey, and a brick, and make maccaroons. A high energy, delightful "magic"

as someone stated earlier. Its not just your job, its what "you" bring to the situation.

Unfortunatly, most peoples jobs require so much time, dedication, and over specialization that only docs in that catagory will be useful
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 am

im currently studying at uni to be a chemical engineer and am currently on the brink of enlisting in the army reserve as a combat engineer.

i think a working knowledge of chemicals, water purification and metal refining combined with military training and fitness should set me up quite nicely for the PAW
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

gothamalleyviper

Post by gothamalleyviper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 am

"It doesn't mater what the Army says your Job is; when the shit hits the fan everyone is in the Infantry!"
Drill Sergeant Wilson Aco 2/39th
Y.T. wrote:and it's less like a cop who feels she's above the law and more like a cop who doesn't feel the need to flash her badge everywhere or starch her panties. ;)
2 seconds to outwhit the Joker, so I pants him. He just let me go!
Y.T. wrote:I found camo print cloth menstrual pads the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had made a camo dildo.

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 am

gothamalleyviper wrote:"It doesn't mater what the Army says your Job is; when the shit hits the fan everyone is in the Infantry!"
Drill Sergeant Wilson Aco 2/39th
Well sure that sounds nice but see how much ammo they allocate to my commo section every year(and other non combat mos's). Yeah just enough to zero and qualify about once a year. That's why I bought my own AR for practice so I would feel confident in my ability to hit something before my first deployment if it came to that.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Stealth
Favorite Zombie Movies: Don't watch'em, they are misleading.

Post by Stealth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 am

I'm a medic, but i'm also good at fab workg, working with cars and shooting things. I can be fairly useful in a PAW.. or so i like to think!

brer

Post by brer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 am

General purpose electronics tech that specializes in alarms and industrial machinery. If it uses electricity I can probably fix it or tell you whats wrong with it.

I can see some use in a PAW for my skills during the rebuild, otherwise I'm a rancher.
A nation of sheep begats a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm a minister. I figure folks will always have to married and buried so I'd still be useful in that capacity (even though that isn't really what I do on a day to day basis).
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:59 am

I think I get what you are getting at. A CEO, who spends most of his days wheeling and dealing in great dollarbill f*ckery could be close to useless if he doesn't have gophers to cater to his whims (Though such a personality might be incapable of surviving an apocolypse). The pie in the sky academic types might have volumes of intellectual knowledge rattling around upstairs, but I'll be damned if he knows how to tie his shoes in the morning, or can even do something useful with all that knowledge (such folks are the easy profs in school, all you have to do is take good notes and regurgitate all of it back to them, they never challenge you to use that knowledge). Our friend the aspiring chem engineer might even find himself screwed if he can't get a hold of the precursors needed to synthesize his chemicals or the stuff he needs to set up his lab.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm a data modeler currently. I've also been a solutions architect, business analyst, technical team lead, trainer and technical writer. What's that mean? That I can be presented with an environment, determine what the problem is, and what the end goal is supposed to be (not always what the customer says it is). I can then figure out what the customer needs (which may or may not be what they say they want), convince them that I know what I'm talking about (usually because by this time, I have learned everything about their enterprise to the point I could likely set it up again from scratch and not screw it up too badly), document the solution. If it's a technical problem, I can then develop the database and front end, test it, write the training manual and user manual, and then teach them how to use it.

I've done this for courtrooms, agribusiness, property management, as well as a couple of others, and come up with variants of the above for several other industries.

I've also done a lot of work on my cars, basically rebuilt a house from the walls in (including interior framing), done concrete and masonry work, put a roof on, helped my wife garden, hobnobbed with upper crust, helped run cattle, been a computer repair\network tech, and played in the woods a lot as a kid. I can also shoot pretty well.

So, in the PAW, what would this translate to? Pretty much anything I needed to do to survive and flourish, I could. Do it myself? Yep, I can. Be a team member? Yep, good at that. Be the leader? Yep, been there, done that too...

But I'd probably bitch a lot about it, cause it would be damn hard work on top of the planning that would need to occur.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

IceWing wrote:I'm a data modeler currently. I've also been a solutions architect, business analyst, technical team lead, trainer and technical writer...

I've also done a lot of work on my cars, basically rebuilt a house from the walls in (including interior framing), done concrete and masonry work, put a roof on, helped my wife garden, hobnobbed with upper crust, helped run cattle, been a computer repair\network tech, and played in the woods a lot as a kid. I can also shoot pretty well...
This post is a good example of an individual that, on the surface, would seem to be instant zombie fodder during a PAW (I mean, a "solutions architect" and "technical writer"? Seriously? I instantly imagine a pasty white, mildly overweight, middle aged man in khakis that isn't even physically able to mow his own yard and doesn't know which end of a rifle is the one you shouldn't point at yourself), but once you find out a bit more (like in part 2 of the post), you realize old Ice might be a hell of a guy/gal to have around when the lights switch off for good.

Job titles can be misleading. I know several fellow firefighters who are dumb as bricks and physically such wrecks that they can barely walk from the couch to the fridge without getting winded. I'll take the 'technical writer' over one of these macho 'firefighters' in the PAW anytime! :wink:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey ice, I work with you and your lot all the time.

I'm a PM. I think we kind of go hand in glove, really. Outlining a problem, developing a solution and working towards it - not a bad skill set to have wherever you are.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:11 pm

ok...I'm a gardener (master level). Which sounds like it could come in handy. BUT how did I get to be a gardener is the reason why I would have lots of use. I became a gardener to feed my family, literally. My kids were young, I had 3, we had no money ($17k a year max). I learned to garden to put food on the table, I learned how to find food in the wild also. We had no health insurance, I learned how to use herbal meds and good health habits to take care of my kids. I've gone on to teach these skills to others, got another 2 kids along the way, so I've also learned how to organize "the troops" and keep them moving.

Hubby is an electrical engineer with his nuclear certificate. Sounds impressive, but the thing is, an engineer is an engineer. Kind of like McGyver only they talk about it more. However, he can fix all kinds of things and knows a lot about everything mechanical, plus he's learned how to herd a troop of engineers into actually accomplishing things.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am

DannusMaximus wrote:
IceWing wrote:I'm a data modeler currently. I've also been a solutions architect, business analyst, technical team lead, trainer and technical writer...

I've also done a lot of work on my cars, basically rebuilt a house from the walls in (including interior framing), done concrete and masonry work, put a roof on, helped my wife garden, hobnobbed with upper crust, helped run cattle, been a computer repair\network tech, and played in the woods a lot as a kid. I can also shoot pretty well...
This post is a good example of an individual that, on the surface, would seem to be instant zombie fodder during a PAW (I mean, a "solutions architect" and "technical writer"? Seriously? I instantly imagine a pasty white, mildly overweight, middle aged man in khakis that isn't even physically able to mow his own yard and doesn't know which end of a rifle is the one you shouldn't point at yourself), but once you find out a bit more (like in part 2 of the post), you realize old Ice might be a hell of a guy/gal to have around when the lights switch off for good.

Job titles can be misleading. I know several fellow firefighters who are dumb as bricks and physically such wrecks that they can barely walk from the couch to the fridge without getting winded. I'll take the 'technical writer' over one of these macho 'firefighters' in the PAW anytime! :wink:
Well, at the moment, I'm a couple of shades above pasty white, but it IS the end of winter. Mildly overweight, well, maybe... But, it's been too damn cold to walk (we try and walk for at least 2 miles a night) and been working on the cabin for the past year now. I don't think of myself as middle aged, and don't think I fall into that category for a couple of more years... And, I wear cargo khakis, so you're not far off... *pauses and looks around for the camera, cause this is oddly accurate, from a certain perspective* But, hah, you're wrong on the yard... I don't HAVE a yard... Zero grass at the moment. We live in the woods *grin*.

I'll be honest, reading that made me feel pretty good... Sometimes it's hard to realize just how much you HAVE learned, and that you really are a well rounded individual... As for choosing me over some firefighters in the PAW (you're in Indiana, so it's POSSIBLE *grin*), if you can find me, well, make sure to flash your ZS patch cause otherwise I'm going to be pissed somebody found us... Well, I'd still be pissed, but would probably get over it faster *laugh*
TheGunslinger wrote:Hey ice, I work with you and your lot all the time.

I'm a PM. I think we kind of go hand in glove, really. Outlining a problem, developing a solution and working towards it - not a bad skill set to have wherever you are.
Gunslinger, here I had respect for you, and you have to go and tell me you're a PM? *cries as illusions are shattered* Seriously, amongst GOOD Project Managers, and GOOD Modelers\Architects, I would agree. The DAs that I've worked with, who I would say are good, do tend to have a lot of the same traits and abilities as the good PMs (well, ok, singular, as most of the ones that I've worked with didn't have the knowledge\experience to handle things well, which is, frankly, why I tend to do a lot of the work myself and then tell the PMs 'this is what is going on, fill out whatever paperwork you need and I need you to facilitate the following'). I think, in a the PAW, that a GOOD PM would likely end up in some kind of leadership position. It's part of who they are.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Wolfdude87
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Wolfdude87 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Full time college student, part time sales work. I have no skills to apply now, let alone in the PAW. :?

Hey, just started a new blog. Updates 3 times a week. I'd love feedback. Plus it should be pretty entertaining.
http://superboxsix.blogspot.com/

grape ape
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, The Omega Man

Post by grape ape » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I am a Maximum Security Officer For State Prison System also can drive a tractor trailer

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 am

You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 am

Pigs arse.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

kickback

Post by kickback » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I am kinda Big

I can always be a Hired Goon

I mean the Gooning Industry will be big in the PAW

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:21 pm

DannusMaximus wrote: Job titles can be misleading. I know several fellow firefighters who are dumb as bricks and physically such wrecks that they can barely walk from the couch to the fridge without getting winded. I'll take the 'technical writer' over one of these macho 'firefighters' in the PAW anytime! :wink:
Our Asst. chief weighs over 300lbs. He's good on the radio though :wink:
My brother is a chemistry professor. I get a kick out of his "How smart are professors?" stories. Like the one when one of his colleagues called 911 because when he came out of the store, his car was gone and apparently stolen. Then he remembered he'd actually visited 3 stores and his car was parked 3 stores down.

My job would be worthless, but I am a quick learner, competitive and love a challenge. Just tell me I can't do something and I'll probably find a way.
I'll adapt, as will others. Some may take a little longer.
You got red on you.

Redeker_Plan

Post by Redeker_Plan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm

I like the idea of how after the reset button, those that were homeless could be wealthy. That those in a position of power, could now be powerless.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Why? What makes you happy about that?

That sort of thing - as well as that cartoon just posted - are sour grapes of the highest degree.

Why would someone who is homeless now, with no education, training, motivation or prospects suddenly get them when the world ends? Why would someone with severe mental disorders, substance abuse suddenly rise up above it all? Why would someone do that in the PAW, when they can't do it now, even with all sorts of various support services?

Why does it please you that someone who has it now can have it all taken away from them through no fault of their own? Sure, there are massive excesses amongst the rich, no doubt - but why would you be happy that Mr. and Mrs. Joe Sixpack lose their house in the 'burbs? They worked damn hard for it - as did the owner of whatever company they've built up too, by the way.

I apologise if this isn't the road you were going down, but I really hate the idea that the PAW is going to be some sort of inverted pyramid where those who haven't made anything of themselves are suddenly going to find the motivation to do so.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:Why? What makes you happy about that?

That sort of thing - as well as that cartoon just posted - are sour grapes of the highest degree.

Why would someone who is homeless now, with no education, training, motivation or prospects suddenly get them when the world ends? Why would someone with severe mental disorders, substance abuse suddenly rise up above it all? Why would someone do that in the PAW, when they can't do it now, even with all sorts of various support services?

Why does it please you that someone who has it now can have it all taken away from them through no fault of their own? Sure, there are massive excesses amongst the rich, no doubt - but why would you be happy that Mr. and Mrs. Joe Sixpack lose their house in the 'burbs? They worked damn hard for it - as did the owner of whatever company they've built up too, by the way.

I apologise if this isn't the road you were going down, but I really hate the idea that the PAW is going to be some sort of inverted pyramid where those who haven't made anything of themselves are suddenly going to find the motivation to do so.
Man, that cartoon is funny. The guy giving a BJ in the alley. Funny stuff. You're reading way too much into that. It's a comic strip.

As for the rest. Won't happen. If your suck at life now, you won't rise up to be some awesome leader in the future. I find a lot of the stuff people post about PAW occupations to be great. "I'm gonna be a soldier!!" Right..... "I'm going to be the leader because I stockpiled some ammo and beans!!" Keep dreaming.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Ah, my humour meter is on the fritz today, wasn't quite sure you weren't being serious.

Return to “What Would You Do?”