Quick, defend yourself: What do you have on hand RIGHT now?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zerve

Re: Quick, defend yourself: What do you have on hand RIGHT n

Post by Zerve » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 am

A pork sandwich and a open pack of hula hoops on a plate on my lap. The hula hoops are salt and vinegar flavor I recon that counts for something. Next to me are a half full pint glass of water, a stapler, remote for tv and a unopened of of..... hula hoops if I'm feeling greedy. There just original flavour though :( There's that much junk around me if I was attacked I could just through stuff at them until they got bored and left.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 am

Zerve wrote:A pork sandwich and a open pack of hula hoops on a plate on my lap. The hula hoops are salt and vinegar flavor I recon that counts for something. Next to me are a half full pint glass of water, a stapler, remote for tv and a unopened of of..... hula hoops if I'm feeling greedy. There just original flavour though :( There's that much junk around me if I was attacked I could just through stuff at them until they got bored and left.
URGHHH Hula Hoops! :lol:

On topic: my wee Pomeranian, slightly squishy strawberries, a glass of milk, hairspray and some matches.
So lets hope they'd be lactose intolerant, allergic to dogs and strawberries & also easily lit on fire.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Ruddie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hhhmmm...

Post by Ruddie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 am

Cold Steel Trail Hawk and a Glock 22.

cconwell21

Post by cconwell21 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.cutlerywholesaler.com/images ... T086.1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I have laying around.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:06 pm

from my desk.

a quantity of engineering and paramedic textbooks, pens, printer, laptop.

on my shelf (couple of feet away) pocket knife, rescue helmet

in my cupboard (couple of metres away) 12 inch machete
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:10 pm

A keyboard, trackball mouse, monitor, assorted networking cables, one of those tall thermos/coffee mugs, my keys, and four microwavable easy mac and cheese things. Those are more of a long term weapon to kill my enemies through high blood pressure and heart disease.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 pm

AK-47................................folder

but i wish it would be the rifle
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 pm

This thread always comes up when I'm at work. XD-40 Sub-Compact, pepper gel, stout walking stick, Spyderco Persistence.

I suppose I could also include the 2003 Grand Marquis that is my taxi.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Morlok

Post by Morlok » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 am

Right now I always carry a Gerber Guardian on me. At home, I have a large Paclite (3.5" blade IIRC), and a reasonably sharp cheap machete. At the range, I have a 5.56 AR.
6) Ka-Bar and a Cold Steel boar hunting knife - both useless to me since I know nothing about how to defend myself with a knife beyond random slashing/stabbing.
It doesn't take an expert to use a knife for self-defense, so "useless" is a bit of an overstatement. :)

Really, self-defense with a knife is fairly intuitive, especially if you have any UAC training at all; you just sort of fold it into the rest of what you know. Protip; hold the knife closer to you, rather than way out in front. This way, it's harder for your opponent to disarm you, and you have more potential energy for a thrust or slash (bent arm, rather than straight). Lead with your off hand and try to grab with it, then attack with the knife hand, assuming your assailant doesn't have an edged weapon, of course.

But the best use of a knife for SD is psychological. If you're genuinely ready to use it against an assailant, it will show. A knife is an enormous advantage in a fight, all else being equal. It's practically impossible for an unarmed attacker to defeat a reasonably competent (low bar here; grown, healthy man with the proper psychological mindset) man with a decent knife.

Conversely, if you find yourself facing a man with a knife - arm yourself, or better yet, run.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Towanda wrote:I suppose I could also include the 2003 Grand Marquis that is my taxi.
:lol:

Yeah, I think a roughly two ton surface-to-surface guided missile counts. :awesome:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

isaacjacob

Post by isaacjacob » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 am

I have a laptop and 2 bb guns

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:07 am

Not at work at the moment: a cup of hot coffee, a half-full Nalgene, an electronic cigarette, an empty cereal bowl, a cat, and a walking stick. And my phone.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 am

Umm lets see... a temper tantrum throwing toddler, a lazy golden retriever, steel-toe boots, the TV remote, a Springer 1911 tucked into the side of the recliner my lazy ass is laying on, if all else fails its grab the kid and make a mad sprint into the man room and grab the shotty loaded up with 00 buck shot.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

DontGetWellSoon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Reanimator, Forest of the Dead.......

Post by DontGetWellSoon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 am

Everywhere I look there's a weapon. My bedroom has a wall of swords, axes, clubs, & knives. I got a Bowie and a Toothpick hanging in the kitchen, as well as knucks. A giant straight razor in the bathroom. There's a large crowbar at the front door. Also, I carry a 44 magnum around the house.
"Remember that you are unique...just like everyone else."

jdzombie

Post by jdzombie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 am

Pen
Sunglasses
Mouse
Headphone
2 Plastic Bottles
1 Glass Bottle
Mug
Pot Plant
undead today, undead tomorrow

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 am

Enough armored vehicles and equipment for a heavy brigade combat team.
And my coffee cup.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

druid189

Post by druid189 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Work: department of Corrections / Prison. Since I'm SRT, use your imagination to conjure up the things we have to quell a riot of 1000 prisoners..........WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :clap:

As in "right now" I'm at my desk, in the middle of my semi-storage area of ManGear. Bad news for those coming in ATM. My Deputy II never leaves my side. EVER. I love this blade. If you can E-Bay, get it.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/buck-crosslock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had it since 1994 and aside from having to reshape the broken tip [about 3mm snapped off when I dropped it on concrete], it has NEVER let me down. EVER. The hook goes through clothing and seat belts like butter. You need a serration sharpener for the hook though. this one's awesome:

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/fold ... -serrated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a gray, bead-blasted finish that even after 19 years of service, is barely marked up at all. HIGHLY recommended.

Between the two locations? Kimber .45 with 2 magazines, 4 sets of cuffs and the Deputy II [discontinued series, model 2262 below]

ITS Bo Yo ^.^
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Shawn of the dead,and zombieland

Post by ITS Bo Yo ^.^ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Right now?!.hmm.my wallet has a custom18in chain with knuckle latch..-_-umm there is a custom ax along with a maul ax outside...but my friend has a Mac 90 and a tricked out 1911,a 44 mag,a30 06,couple a pump action shotguns,50 cal musleloader pistol +rifle,sks,but thats theirs not mine at home I have a 12g single shot a couple of good swords,home made stuff like swords a 30 30 lever action wnchstr lever action.thats about it,one other thing though is a 14' home made leafspringe cleaver.
Beheading zombies since COD.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Opinel number 8 and a bag of Copains Copines Fraises bought in France the other day.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Wireless keyboard and mouse, phone (one of the big heavy office ones) scissors, letter opener, decorative lamp, computer, monitor, spyderco Tenacious, Buck Vantage, (Plus 2 cool points for knives akimbo) two aluminum baseball bats, coffee maker, maglight, microwave, utility knife, cash drawer, pens, 5.11 A2 flashlight, remote, I am stuck working in an office so I can go all day. You can tell my work load isn't to high right now.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

royalflush

Post by royalflush » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Only things that are w/in arms reach:
stethoscope- maybe could use it like numchucks
mac book pro: a couple years ago in vet school we were on lock down (shooter on campus) and all I had was the ol' macbook. I closed the screen and prepared to hurl it like a tomahawk at whoever walked through the door and sprint/charge immediately after
Benchmade griptilian if the fight comes in close

ZombieFinder

Post by ZombieFinder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Some kitchen knives, a hammer, and a flat head screw driver.. I guess I'd be pretty screwed.
http://www.ZombieFind.com - A zombie apparel, clothing, collectables, and oddities site. Find the coolest zombie products and gear here and find the best deals.

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Surprisingly, a Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto, two hobby knives and a cat. Though I prefer not to use the latter as a weapon, really.
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:04 pm

a CRKT folding knife and a sharp tongue :words:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “What Would You Do?”