Would you voluntarily take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Would you take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Yes!
34%
No!
37%
No, I would take the fine or the quarantine.
5%
No, I would fight or leave the country/state.
13%
Other / Undecided
11%

Total votes: 289

Tactikewl

Would you voluntarily take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Post by Tactikewl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

Hey ZS,

I looked around and couldn't find a poll and I did not want to hijack anyone's thread but I was wondering how many of you would take a forced vaccination as discussed in the voluntary H1N1 vaccinations ($1,000/day fines plus jail) Thread?

I'm not looking to start a huge riot I'm just wanted to see some numbers on if you would or wouldn't. As far as my understanding and reading of the news has gone the workers who helped develop? the vaccine are refusing to take it.

Every time I get the standard flu vaccine I end up getting sick, very sick. And after those times I have refused to take any vaccine and if I was forced I would refuse.

What about everyone else?

Thanks for your input any comments, suggestions, and links appreciated as always.

Respectfully,
Tactikewl

That German Guy

Re: Would you voluntarily take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Post by That German Guy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:48 am

I'd take it, and will as soon as it comes along.

The reason is simple: As a soldier, I often spend weeks at a time in barracks. The one where I am stationed has no such thing as individual accommodation, and one big communal mess hall. Three years ago, an infectious conjunctivitis raced through the battalion, necessitating the closure of all facilities and a suspension of operations (yay payed vacation that doesn't count against your allotted days!!!) for three weeks to halt the spread.

Basically, we have around 1200 disease-collectors that travel all over Germany at least every two weeks to see their families, and they are all rather close together while here. Something as communicable as the swine flu is thus rather certain to get here and have a bit of fun.

Do not want.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:52 am

Yup, and will, as soon as it becomes available.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

zephyrkyuubi
Favorite Zombie Movies: um all of them, except house of the dead 2.I love ROTLD, DOTD, RE, 28 days later, shaun of the dead, evil dead, army of darkness. How could I forget Planet Terror

Post by zephyrkyuubi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 am

I don't like the idea of it being mandatory.

That aside, I will take the vaccine. So, what if you feel crappy for a day or two. Beats not having protection.
“Good government is no substitute for self-government”~ Mahatma Ghandi

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am

Yep. I have a kid in 1st grade. Schools are big, brick petri dishes with slides and a flagpole.
Mostly not here anymore.

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 am

nfa wrote:Yup, and will, as soon as it becomes available.

While i dont like being told what to do. Since i am going to do it anyway i dont really have a problem with someone else being told what to do :)
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:38 am

dogbane wrote:Yep. I have a kid in 1st grade. Schools are big, brick petri dishes with slides and a flagpole.
I've got a 2nd grader in one district, am a Sped. teacher in another district, and am prone to respiratory tract infections...so yeah, I'll be getting the vaccine!

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Flex
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later FTW

Post by Flex » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 am

Yep, I'll be getting it as soon as it becomes available. Flu vaccs are a well-characterized treatment, so I think the risk of any ill effects from the vaccine will be far lower than the health risks of catching H1N1 while the local healthcare system is overloaded.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erat, tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 am

Nope, there is no major risk from the new H1N1 in my age group.

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hatch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 am

For everyone who says, "sure, I'll take it," you might want to Google "1976 swine flu vaccine." The scare and media hype around the 1976 swine flu was pretty much the same as what we're seeing now with this latest manbearpig flu. That 1976 flu epidemic killed exactly one person in the U.S., but 40 million people got vaccinated for it. Of the 40 million, around 500 people contracted Guillain-Barre syndrome as a result of the vaccine and 25 of those people died. So in the final analysis, the vaccine killed 25 times more people than the flu itself.

Now this latest H1N1 vaccine is being rushed to market in time for the fall flu season, and a lot of doctors and scientists are expressing concern that proper testing is not being done. Add on to that the growing controversy about the adjuvants such as squalene in today's vaccines, and the links to harmful side effects in humans. Add on to that the documented historical evidence of vaccine pollution, such as the SV40 monkey cancer virus that went along for the ride in polio vaccines manufactured by Lederle Laboratories in the late 1950's and early 1960's, and was injected into millions of Americans. [ Just for fun, go Google historical cancer statistics, note the growth trend (35% increase in cases from 1985 to 1997 alone), and then ponder why one in four Americans today dies of cancer, and according to the WHO, 50% of the world population will contract cancer in one form or another by the year 2020 - no shit. ]

For all of you parents about to inject your children with the swine flu vaccine, you might want to read up on the explosive growth in the cases of autism (10-17% growth in the number of cases per year, according to the Autism Society of America), and start reading about the mounting evidence linking vaccines and vaccine additives to childhood autism. That shot might prevent your child from becoming sick for a few days, only to turn them into Rainman a year later.

So on the one hand we've got a flu virus that by all accounts is no more virulent or deadly than the common flu, and will almost certainly not kill me or cause me long-term health problems. On the other hand, we've got a vial full of lab-gook containing God knows what, which historical evidence shows might kill me or cause me long-term health problems.

I'll take the flu, thanks. And anyone who tries to force me to take the shot, will take a shot of their own. :wink:

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:27 am

Hatch wrote:
For all of you parents about to inject your children with the swine flu vaccine, you might want to read up on the explosive growth in the cases of autism (10-17% growth in the number of cases per year, according to the Autism Society of America), and start reading about the mounting evidence linking vaccines and vaccine additives to childhood autism.

As soon as theres any credible peer-reviewed studies showing such a link, or even correlation, published in a peer-reviewed journal and not immediately debunked, Ill start taking it seriously. As long as its just Jenny McCarthy and other idiot chatterboxes talking out of their ass, Ill continue to just laugh at them.

Ill take the vac as soon as its out, Ive even looked at getting in on the trials conducted locally.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 am

I'll take it, because I work in a hospital. So far, from the flu shots I've gotten before, I've never received any side effects. I also haven't gotten the flu since I've gotten the shots. I know they're not always effective, but they haven't done any harm to me other than bruising my deltoid for a day.

And the shots are free for me... Can't complain :P

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:39 am

Hatch wrote:On the other hand, we've got a vial full of lab-gook
Believe me, "lab gook" is far far FAR more nastier than this shot.

If I were to wipe one of our lab benches with a paper towel, elute whatever is in there, and fill that in a vial, then we'd have lab gook. Hell, Bio-2 lab gook is nastier than that vaccine, and the nastiest shit possible it would contain is plain ol' staph, of the non-resistant variety, which is carried anyway by around 67% of the European population.

As for the testing: The Euro vaccine has so far not been tested on two groups, newborns/infants and pregnant women. I'm 33 years old, and neither possess nor was ever in the possession of a uterus, so I guess I'm all good.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

KC44
Favorite Zombie Movies: none

Post by KC44 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:44 am

liberty45 wrote:Nope, there is no major risk from the new H1N1 in my age group.
+1

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:59 am

KC. wrote:
+1
when you are all zombies you'll be sorry :)
NRA XTC High Master

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:11 am

Hatch wrote:I'll take the flu, thanks. And anyone who tries to force me to take the shot, will take a shot of their own. :wink:

--Hatch
Hatch, regardless of your feelings on the vaccine, we don't talk about shooting healthcare workers on ZS, even with a :wink: smilie...consider this an official warning...we can have strong feelings and even disagree about stuff without breaking the rules of this forum...

Jamie

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:20 am

Finch wrote:
KC. wrote:
+1
No you will be sorry because I am SEPA and I am coming for your... BRAINS!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 am

No, there isnt.

That's not why people are rushing to get a vaccine out.

The major risk is that the H1N1 will pick up some nasty mutation that will make it far more deadly, so we need to be ahead of the game on the vaccine in advance, to establish herd immunity and curb its virulence.

If epidemiologists were simply thinking of normal flu symptoms, it wouldn't be a big deal.

But the current evidence shows that this flu variant is already crowding out other flu variants, meaning its already more virulent than most other flus currently circulating.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 am

liberty45 wrote:
Finch wrote:
KC. wrote:
+1
No you will be sorry because I am SEPA and I am coming for your... BRAINS!!! :mrgreen: :lol:
touche :)
NRA XTC High Master

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 am

I won't take it period.

Hell, my doc convinced me to get a tetanus shot after not getting one for like 15 years and it kicked my ass up and down the block.

No way am I taking some new vaccine that was fast tracked under pandemic status for a virus that the human body has no natural immunity to.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am

offcamber wrote:Hell, my doc convinced me to get a tetanus shot after not getting one for like 15 years and it kicked my ass up and down the block.
I got one last Friday after about the same interval or longer and I had a sore shoulder for two days and that was it.
Mostly not here anymore.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:50 am

Not planning on it . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:05 am

No thanks, not until they can make it a little safer.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

GunnBorn
Favorite Zombie Movies: army of darkness
dawn of the dead

Post by GunnBorn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 am

Return to “What Would You Do?”