Postman Scenerio - What Weapon Would You Take?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arch

Postman Scenerio - What Weapon Would You Take?

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Alright, this thread will most likely be a re-tread of a question asked a million times :) , but........

Here's the background:

I watched "DOOMSDAY" this morning and made an off the cuff remark to my wife how I could see the PAW reverting back to "medieval like". This sparked a long conversion about a variety of topics (long term storage of ammunition, how to make ammo 30 years after TEOTWAWKI, what threats people would face, etc). Later this afternoon I pulled out my entire gun collection, and mentally deliberated about which "ONE" I choose if I had to select a single firearm for the rest of my life.

As I handled and thought about the reasons I owned each weapon I saw benefits and deficiencies in all of them.

Here's the question:

Pick the apocalyptic scenario of your choice (here are a couple of my examples: virus more rabid than the plaque of the middle ages wipes out a huge portion of the population; nuclear holocaust turns cities into twisted heaps of rubble and destroys the government infrastructure beyond repair; an asteroid hits South America and causes the poles to shift and creates a "nuclear winter" that kills a big portion of the world's population thru starvation - revolts topple governments; etc) that will leave people on their own to survive for generations......

I'm talking about a reversion to DARK AGES here. Not 3-Day BO deal....some situation so severe that significant / effective governments no longer remain! :shock:

What gun do you own or would you buy now for this scenario, and more importantly why did you or would you make this selection :?: Here's the limitation.....NO CLASS 3 ITEMS :(

EDIT: You can choose one rifle or shotgun AND one handgun.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Arch

Re: Postman Scenerio - What Weapon Would You Take?

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:05 pm

To get the conversation started...here are a few considerations I had.....

When the event occurs I could see:

* The need for a high capacity self-defense weapon capable of rapidly dispatching Zeds bent on killing me and mine.
* Shorter range zombat.

When the dust settles I could see:

* The need for a simple weapon that requires little maintenance because of the lack of supplies / gunsmiths.
* Excellent accuracy because of ammo scarcity.
* Long range accuracy because of less population and the desire to keep Zeds at bay.
* More powerful than 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 because of the potential for large/dangerous wildlife to start re-populating areas previously "civilized" by mankind.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm

No more firearms for generations? Rifle = .22 LR Bolt action with a decent little scope on it, something like a Ruger 77/22. Handgun= a decent revolver (think Comanche I). Keep them simple, easy to repair. .22 because it's fairly cheap, small, and easy to store buttloads of.

RATFOOD

Post by RATFOOD » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Sorry, I'm Boring: AK and A 1911

kgeter
Favorite Zombie Movies: The ones with Zombies

Post by kgeter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:27 pm

12 gauge pump gun and a .357 or .44 mag revolver. reliable, plenty of stopping power, and reletivly easy to find ammo or reload ammo.

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Arkane wrote:No more firearms for generations? Rifle = .22 LR Bolt action with a decent little scope on it, something like a Ruger 77/22. Handgun= a decent revolver (think Comanche I). Keep them simple, easy to repair. .22 because it's fairly cheap, small, and easy to store buttloads of.
Would you feel adequately defended with the 22LR boltgun while the feces was hitting the oscillating blades?

formerlyZSArch@live.com

ThatGuyFred

Post by ThatGuyFred » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:32 pm

AR-15 20'' 1/7 and Ruger MkII

I'm not worried about killing the big game with my weapons. If I needed them killed I can always set traps with natural objects.
" But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
"

Yeats

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

ThatGuyFred wrote:AR-15 20'' 1/7 and Ruger MkII

I'm not worried about killing the big game with my weapons. If I needed them killed I can always set traps with natural objects.
I threw in my thought about dangerous game because tonight I read two articles in the new Outdoor Life:

* Two coyotes followed a 15 year old kid home recently (obviously the 556 would dispatch dogs with aplomb).
* A black bear climbed in a fisherman's boat and proceeded to attack him in BC (in this case people attacked the bear, and won...but still the bold behavior left me scratching my head).

I considered the same two you selected, but didn't end up with them :D

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:39 pm

RATFOOD wrote:Sorry, I'm Boring: AK and A 1911

same
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Domino

Post by Domino » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Obviously, you want something that is very rugged and powerful enough for most all tasks. I like the idea of a sturdy manual repeater for this scenerio, I think a Lee Enfield #4 MK II with hard chrome plating would be about right.

As for a handgun, thats largely personal preference since you probably will never use it anyway. At least not if you have a functioning rifle...

OR if we are talking guns we own...

If I wanted to be more self-sufficiant and reload my ammuntion (its all going to run out eventually, it would be worthwhile to set up shop somewhere and reload) I would want something that is versitile and easy to reload. I like the idea of my Stainless model 92 lever action in .45 Colt with a Stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt to go along with it.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:51 pm

I think my Mauser would do me fine with everything from zombies to bear hunting. As for a hand gun it has to be a colt 1911 with the .22 conversion kit so I'm fine for small game too.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 pm

10/22 bolt action rifle. Save up 100 dollars now and buy 3k .22LR ammunition now every month. You will ahve enough for a life time in 3 months. No need to scavenge. As for a MBR, I would probably pick up a .308 syntietic bolt gun and about 200 dollars worth of cleaning supplies to back it up. Maybe get two. Spare parts are a good thing. The ammunition storage thing is easy. Ziplock bags with dissicant in them for the 22LR, about 1000 per bag, and as many bags as can fit in a .30 Cal can. .22LR would solve most issues in a medieval world. For those that don't, the .308 would.

Handguns: Springfield XD-45. America is .45 country for a reason.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:57 pm

nimdabew wrote:10/22 bolt action rifle.

first of all the 10/22 is a semi auto last i checked

2- .22 is a shit round for "postman" or "doomsday" scenario's which were EXTENSIVELY combat related

once again .22 is for killing cans and squirrels
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:00 pm

No idea why this is in firearms....
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:04 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:No idea why this is in firearms....
Because the question is essentially.....

What FIREARMS would you select :D

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Arch wrote:

I don't know, there is a forum here named, "What Would You Do?"

Seems more appropriate to me there than here.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Same guns i'd feild with in any extened scenario, except MAYBE the handgun: FnFal 308, and glock 20 in 10mm, with a 40S+W conversion barrel..or i'd take my G-21 in 45, more common components. Cat sneeze loads for the 308.

I have reloading gear for both. The 10mm gets the nod, as it can be to hand 24-7, and has good range, and in this scenario i'd be able to outrange all but very skilled people with slings, bows, atlatls.ect.

brass catchers for both. I'd make my serfs search for brass...:)

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 pm

I would bring an atlatl and some aluminum foil for my head.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:18 pm

Good question. I don't think there are any perfect solutions. This is why I'd prefer at least three firearms--a pistol, a shotgun and a rifle. But I guess I'd go with:

AR-15 with a 16" barrel and a collapsible stock
Smith & Wesson 4566

The .45 would serve pretty well for home defense, any close range defensive needs should be well served. Frankly, any decent combat handgun would probably work. I like S&W and .45's, so that's my pick. I like .45's for their stopping power. This pistol needs little maintenance and should last at least a lifetime. The only drawback is that it is not high capacity, and I recognize that. But it's still my go to pistol. With extended 10 round magazines, I think it would serve most close quarters situations well enough.

The AR would be my high capacity self-defense weapon. With the collaspible stock it could be used in closer quarters in a pinch. If there is no more government, I'm assuming that just going downtown might be a risky proposition, so I like the idea of something lightweight, easy to keep with you at all times, and something that I can use to quickly acquire a target. It should be useful for medium to somewhat longer range (up to about 200 meters, for me at least...I'm sure others can do much better). Since I live in the suburbs, I'm envisioning an urban/suburban AO, so this should fit the bill for most of the distances I'd be dealing with. If I had to bug out, it's still a pretty versatile weapon. It's also a weapon I'm very familiar with, I know how to take care of it, etc. I've found it to be reliable under a variety of field conditions. It should be perfectly functional for shooting zeds. I believe it would be decent for hunting smallish to medium size game. (I've never hunted with a .223, so I welcome input in that regard).

There are two main drawbacks I can see: #1 it would not be useful for ranges beyond 200 meters (again, I'm talking in my hands, others can probably do much better) and #2 5.56mm is not a terribly powerful load, so it would be less than ideal for anything much bigger than man-sized. I guess I would have to hope that multiple, well-placed shots would eventually take down any large, dangerous animals encountered.

Not a perfect solution by any means, but it's the best I can come up with. I think my reasons are at least somewhat logical.
(If I could add a third firearm, I'd go for a rugged 12 gauge shotgun, like a Mossberg 500. If I could add a fourth, I'd go for a Remington 700 in .308 with a high quality scope, but that would defeat the purpose of this thread).
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:19 pm

A 91/30 for long range, and hunting

A.357 or.44 wheel gun for short range wet work.
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:21 pm

If I wanted something to last 50 years of no industrial resupply I would take something black powder.
Get something modern WAY over rated in the pressure area so I might be able to use modern powders once in a while.

.50 cal for the rifle and at least .45 for the pistol.

I can cast my own bullets just fine with the molds.

Then I only need to worry about the percussion caps.

The black powder might be able to be made by me in small quantities.

Anything else like cartridge ammos I find I would save in a safe place until I need them to hold off the massive hoards. But for day to day junk I would use the black powder firearms.

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:22 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:
Arch wrote:

PistolPete moved it over there, and it had zero viewers. I asked for it to be returned here, and look at the interest. You may be right, but the other forum basically killed the thread :cry: .

formerlyZSArch@live.com

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:24 pm

While I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd be left having to choose one of my firearms and lose the rest, if I was in that scenario, I'd have to say that the one that I'd take would be my Remington 870 (18" barrel, 7 round capacity - 2 3/4" and 3")
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Arch wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:
Arch wrote:

PistolPete moved it over there, and it had zero viewers. I asked for it to be returned here, and look at the interest. You may be right, but the other forum basically killed the thread :cry: .

There's probably a reason that no one took interest.

Because you are correct, this question has been hashed out a million times and will probably end when an AR guy is insulted by an AK guy.

Not trying to be an ass...I've just seen it happen.
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

Return to “What Would You Do?”