Gun or Car?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Car or Gun

Car
19%
Gun
71%
other
10%

Total votes: 97

MIKE_the_MILITANT
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, new one

Gun or Car?

Post by MIKE_the_MILITANT » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Alright, lets assume you were in a hypothetical situation, in which, you only had the clothes you normally have on, jeans, T-shirt maybe a jacket, or what ever, and a leathermen tool, thats all. In a SHTF situation bad enough for you to bug out(or you could be trying to get home), could be zombies, breakdown of society, whatever and some how you have nothing with you but what was mentioned above, which would you rather have, a basic car, say a Honda civic with a full tank, or a good firearm, your choice, with plenty of ammo, 500 rounds or more.What one do you choose? Nether?

Its pretty close, but I think I would choose a good firearm, sure you'll be going slow but you can defend yourself. And car can be ambushed pretty easily, like the movie "children of men" they got F'ed-up pretty quick. I would like your guys opinion on this question, maybe you can add some incite I don't have.
"Bankers are the assassins of hope."

bonanacrom

Re: Gun or Car?

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:58 pm

To get home to my guns I would take the car.Road blocks ? ambushed ? Not the way I would be driving if the world was ending. I'm not in the city I live in the burbs so backyards are I good way to drive around things in the way. I gave this thought before and I could also drive down many of the creeks around here as roads depending on the time of year.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Not falling for this one. One must have both mobility, protection AND firepower to dominate and overcome.

A diesel motorcycle with 2WD may well have 80MPG fuel efficiency and off-road mobility, but a large mob could surround you and push you right off. A single determined individual or a fast zed could also do this.

Your DIY armored, mine resistant Suburban probably has a range of 150 miles max. Then a mob could flip it.

You may have the scratch and credentials to outfit your entire crew with Russian AN-94s, plated Interceptors and NIJ LVL IV motorcycle helmets with NBC filters, but you'll be on foot. You can still be surrounded and overrun by a sufficient number of raiders with nothing more than stone knives and bear skins.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

MIKE_the_MILITANT
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, new one

Post by MIKE_the_MILITANT » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:26 pm

jor-el wrote:Not falling for this one. One must have both mobility, protection AND firepower to dominate and overcome.
True, but what if you had a firearm and someone wanted to trade you a car for it? Or you were the one with the car? Would you try to trade it? You sort of have to pick one, or they might steal your stuff when you standing there thinking.

Edited: I can't spell today
"Bankers are the assassins of hope."

bookshop

Post by bookshop » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:39 am

With a gun you could steal a car

With a car you could crash into a gun store and get a knife

With a knife you could go hide in the woods and avoid carjackings and felony gun charges.
Vegan Gun Owners of America

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:11 am

It would depend on the specific situation, there's no catch-all answer for this.

If I was caught in the middle of civil unrest, I'd probably opt for the gun and hole up until it calms down and authorities show up to restore order.

If it was zombies, I'd take the gun, and hole up until a car made itself available, which would happen soon enough.

If it were simply a natural disaster I'd take the car and GTFO back to my stuff.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

rick1881
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead

Post by rick1881 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:18 am

bookshop wrote:With a gun you could steal a car

With a car you could crash into a gun store and get a knife

With a knife you could go hide in the woods and avoid carjackings and felony gun charges.
That sums it up for me, with a gun the world is yours for the asking/taking.

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:05 am

I have studied long and hard to make sure I am never faced with that kind of decision. Situational awareness is "Job1" for me. I work at it every day. Befor I leave the house, I consider where I'm going and what I'll be doing and gear-up accordingly! After all , isn't that why we have EDCs,GHBs, etc?
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Invictus99

Post by Invictus99 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:39 pm

rick1881 wrote:
bookshop wrote:With a gun you could steal a car
That sums it up for me, with a gun the world is yours for the asking/taking.
.... Kindly refrain from using that logic in my neck of the woods. Using your weapon as a license to somebody else's stuff probably wont end well for you.

As for me, I choose gun. In reality one needs both but I can't provide food with a car... I mean squirrels are tasty... but roadkill squirrel pancakes.... not so tasty I imagine. :)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I understand the frustration of my fellow prepers.Yes you would not be caught in this position,that being said there are some people on this forum that are hear to learn how to prepare and what to do in some situations.some have no guns yet,or maybe don't have carry permits. What I get from this scenario is the op wants to know what someone else's chooses would be and why. Don'T dismiss it off hand I know I had some bad ideas when I was younger that I know now wouldn't be good moves and most were explained to me as bad moves by other people and there views on the subject.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 pm

The gun will get you anything you want, assuming you're willing to use it.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:21 pm

You mean cars come WITHOUT guns as a standard feature?!?!?

/Does not want to shop at your car store
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

MIKE_the_MILITANT wrote:True, but what if you had a firearm and someone wanted to trade you a car for it? Or you were the one with the car? Would you try to trade it? You sort of have to pick one, or they might steal your stuff when you standing there thinking.

I'm not liking this choice. If I trade my gun for a car, the other guy's gonna shove it in my ear and take the keys back. On the other hand, if I have a car and he has a gun, I ain't stopping.

As far as the poll question goes, I chose car. I work 35 miles from home. With a car I can be there within an hour, easy. If I just have a gun, I have a 3 day walk before I can be at home, where my family needs protecting.

Napalm{WmD}
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them. The crapy ones are a lesser favorite.

Post by Napalm{WmD} » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:48 pm

SMoAF wrote:You mean cars come WITHOUT guns as a standard feature?!?!?

/Does not want to shop at your car store

I picked car for that very reason. Guns standard, rocket launcher available as a add on.
Been on hiatus since 2011, then in 2019 realized it’s been a while. Still in central Florida still ready for the zombies.

Florida meet/camp? Pm me I’m interested.

DaJoker

Post by DaJoker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 am

Considering the drawbacks of both, maneuverability vs protection, I would opt for a helicopter so I can book it back to my place without having to deal with mobs and such. I have plenty of guns and supplies there and my family needs to be protected.

Unless of course its like a military apocalypse and Russia is invading or something... >.>
NLM FEMA8 Knucklebuster
"Man's true profession is to find the road to himself." Thomas Hobbes
“Showing reality always makes the best propaganda.” Taliban member quoted in Newsweek
M1A/5.7x28mm/Green Wire/Pie

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:32 am

As the OP said this is a SHTF and not a TEOTWAWKI I will take the car or more specifically my truck. I have about 7 different routes I can take to my house many of them with large enough medians/shoulders that I can get around most obstructions if I put it in 4WD. Of course the OP also said a basic car but I still think as long as I am not to concerned with with condition of the car after I get home I could still make that work.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Just what kind of SHTF situation is this were we may be stripped of the use of the vehicles we already have? I know it'll vary from person-to-person, but there are a number of us for whom that in our daily lives our car isn't seperated from us by too much of a distance. You drive to school, your car is within walking/running distance of the parking lot. You go to work, your car is in the parking lot of the business you work in. And really, if the SHTF and you decide to head home, the first thing you'e going to do is head for your vehicle so you can get home. And if SHTF so bad your car isn't working or your vehicle is trapped by all the congestion on the road, you're probably not going to get another vehicle (unless you're looking for something smaller/nibler to get through all the parked cars).

....and then there's those lucky bastards who are able to carry their firearms in their cars. :evil: :::grumbles about company policy::::
It can always get worse.

Napalm{WmD}
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them. The crapy ones are a lesser favorite.

Post by Napalm{WmD} » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:38 pm

DFWMTX wrote:....and then there's those lucky bastards who are able to carry their firearms in their cars. :evil: :::grumbles about company policy::::
Yeah I smile at this thread all the while knowing that I can have every gun I own in my car with me at all times. If it weren't for people constantly wanting to see it I'd still keep my AR at my desk. I love my job.
Been on hiatus since 2011, then in 2019 realized it’s been a while. Still in central Florida still ready for the zombies.

Florida meet/camp? Pm me I’m interested.

Wolfdude87
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Wolfdude87 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:The gun will get you anything you want, assuming you're willing to use it.
It won't get you love Travis... it won't get you love.

Hey, just started a new blog. Updates 3 times a week. I'd love feedback. Plus it should be pretty entertaining.
http://superboxsix.blogspot.com/

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Napalm{WmD} wrote:
DFWMTX wrote:....and then there's those lucky bastards who are able to carry their firearms in their cars. :evil: :::grumbles about company policy::::
Yeah I smile at this thread all the while knowing that I can have every gun I own in my car with me at all times. If it weren't for people constantly wanting to see it I'd still keep my AR at my desk. I love my job.
In theory I could, but to be quite honest, they wouldn't all fit, even if I didn't pack any ammo.

/parks his car in a place where it's guarded 24/7 by men with guns

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Wolfdude87 wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:The gun will get you anything you want, assuming you're willing to use it.
Well it might if you're willing to shoot a few rapists. You gotta remember this is SHTF we're talking about here.

I'm pretty sure that if a few ladies were about to be attacked and raped by some local ruffians and you shot those pieces of shit for them that they'd really appreciate it. In fact they may even be willing to demonstrate how much they appreciate it later on in your sleeping bag. : :D

This may or not be true and I'm offically joking, but every western movie that featured a damsel in distress that I ever saw often ends up that way with the hero of the movie getting a little nookie for his efforts to keep the leading lady out of the hands of savages.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Wolfdude87 wrote:
I'm not particularly concerned with that.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Browning 35 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if a few ladies were about to be attacked and raped by some local ruffians and you shot those pieces of shit for them that they'd really appreciate it. In fact they may even be willing to demonstrate how much they appreciate it later on in your sleeping bag. : :D

This may or not be true and I'm offically joking, but every western movie that featured a damsel in distress that I ever saw often ends up that way with the hero of the movie getting a little nookie for his efforts to keep the leading lady out of the hands of savages.
In my experience, and keep in mind that I've actually had some real-world experience with this, it's 100% Hollywood horseshit. Think about it. Suppose you had just been really traumatized (and don't kid yourself...it's incredibly traumatizing) by coming close to getting raped. Do you think that you'd be any mood to "get busy" afterwards? Not farking likely.

Free bit of advice: If you should ever find yourself fortunate enough to interfere with a real live attempted rape in progress, do yourself and the victim a favor: stay well clear of her personal space unless she initiates contact (and by contact I don't mean sex, that ain't gonna happen), and get the cops there ASAP. If she tries to hug you, let her, but don't "cop a feel", don't make a pass, think of her as your much younger sister who has just been hurt, or whatever mental image that's necessary to prevent you from becoming aroused. If she doesn't want the cops, see if she'll go to a hospital. If that doesn't work, see about the various toll-free sex-assault / domestic violence counseling hotlines. If she will not do that, see if you can get some of her female friends to come and be with her, and once they get there, give one of her friends your contact information and leave. The damage from rape and attempted rape is far more than simply physical. Oh, and don't plan on trying to keep contact with her so you can date her later...the LAST thing she's likely to want is ANYTHING that will remind her of the incident. It's OK to leave your information with a third party like a responding friend so she might call to thank you later if she wants to, or so that you can talk with the police about what you witnessed should she want to report it, but don't try and force anything on her.

The most important thing is to be supportive. Often the best support you can give is to see that she's safe, and then unass the area.

/Has dealt with a lot of this kind of things over a couple of decades
//Never had sex with any of them.
///If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you'll almost certainly understand.

The Frank
Favorite Zombie Movies: I will only have a favorite once WWZ gets turned into a movie.

Post by The Frank » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:05 pm

I'd take the gun. I don't own either a gun or a car at the moment, but if it's so bad that you're left with a choice of one or the other, I don't want to be riding in a multi-thousand-dollar machine with nothing to enforce my ownership, and I don't want to have to get into any fights over fuel, no matter how civil they are. If it's zombies, I might take the car, but any time when humans are high on my worry list I'd very much prefer to be a walnut rather than a watermelon, if you get the metaphor. Besides, I'm a strong young guy and I own some nice shoes. I can walk as far as I need to, and bike even farther.
The inventor of the zed-head flail.

Bocking FTW! Check it out!

One of these days I'll get around to making an avatar.

Return to “What Would You Do?”