UAV in the civilian world

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
El Charro
* * * * *
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead.
Location: Michoacan Carbones!

UAV in the civilian world

Post by El Charro » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I was going to post this a while back but tonight i saw a report about it on the news. 2 weeks ago I was driving down the freeway. I was getting near San Jose Internation airport. I notice a huge jet flying over the freeway and noticed a smaller plane flying over the freeway coming in my direction.

It struck me odd at first. Cause you normally don't see such small planes. It was real small and didn't look like a normal plane. I live near a military air field so I've seen my fair share of planes, jets, helicopters, and most recent a jumbo jet being escorted by a fighter jet.

Well as it got closer i noticed it didn't have any windows. Then it smack me, I have seen it. On TV, it's a UAV. My first thought was why here? Who knows? I guess times are changing and like most military application they find a way to be used in a civilian world.

What are your thoughts on this?
Tierra Y Libertad!
Mexicano Hastal La Madre yo orgulloso de ello estoy
El que quiera ser mi amigo mi mano le brindo yo
Pero si quieren problemas a sus ordenes estoy

User avatar
Shmerlin
* * * * *
Posts: 5183
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:25 pm
Location: West Palm, FL
Contact:

Re: UAV in the civilian world

Post by Shmerlin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:58 pm

I know that I kept trying to talk my boss into getting a UAV at our police department, I don't think they thought I was serrious, I wasn't ;)

But when you think about it, a UAV, is almost better than having a chopper unit.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:06 pm

UAV's are being used to patrol the southern border. They're an effective force multiplier, since they can loiter over an area for hours, and the sensors are pretty sensitive.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
AwPhuch
* * * * *
Posts: 4742
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by AwPhuch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:24 pm

My buddy transfered from my unit at 2nd Radio Bn Motor-T to the UAV motor T, they did a bunch of stuff for the border patrol, they could keep those things in the air for hours (like upwards of 18 hours)

Made of Kevlar, if the engines cut out they flew like bricks and were dead silent...he said one time they were on watch as it came in...the guys on the modular runway they setup had to dive out of the way because it was on them before they knew it was there...I actually got to meet one of the guys that was training to land the airplanes (NCO, the officers flew it, the NCO landed it..huh!?!?) They actually gave him a budget to buy/fly model airplanes and practice touch and goes...THAT WAS HIS FREEKING JOB!! To fly remote control airplanes...jeez, why couldn't I get a cool job like that?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

User avatar
Kentucky J
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am
Location: FRKS

Post by Kentucky J » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:34 pm

The UAVs over here sound like angry flying weed eaters on steroids. You'll be doing some training outside and then all you hear is WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So you basically have to be quiet and tap your foot until it passes so you or whoever is doing the training can be heard. With the exception of the Predator, I hate UAVs. :D

User avatar
AwPhuch
* * * * *
Posts: 4742
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by AwPhuch » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Gugnir wrote:The UAVs over here sound like angry flying weed eaters on steroids. You'll be doing some training outside and then all you hear is WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. So you basically have to be quiet and tap your foot until it passes so you or whoever is doing the training can be heard. With the exception of the Predator, I hate UAVs. :D
Yah..but little known to you..the UAV can read your nametag from way up there...and it is linked to directed artillery

Just cause its a little buzzy airplane doesn't make it a HUGE threat!

Predator can shoot a rocket..a camera mounted UAV can direct pinpont accurate artillery for 18+ hours
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

User avatar
Kentucky J
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am
Location: FRKS

Post by Kentucky J » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:13 am

Leave it to technology to make soldiers obsolete. Leave it to our bosses to keep us here anyway. :lol: Didn't mean anything political by that, BTW. Just sayin'.
Image

Swoop411
* * *
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Post by Swoop411 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 am

-------------------------------------------
Last edited by Swoop411 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're reading this, you are the resistance.

User avatar
Kentucky J
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am
Location: FRKS

Post by Kentucky J » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:23 am

Nerds in Virginia FTW!!!
Image

User avatar
Urban Core
* * *
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: East Coast, Maryland

Moohoohaha.

Post by Urban Core » Sun May 04, 2008 1:30 am

Gugnir wrote:Nerds in Virginia FTW!!!
Damn right! All those long hours of playing combat flight sims pay off for once. Who knew you could get a Specialist in darn video games.

Seriously however, there have been unconfirmed reports of using UAV's and manned aircraft with thermal sensors to pinpoint heat blooms from houses, more so then they would ever normally need. The idea is to spot "grow" operations in the area.

One questions the legality of this, considering it's using technology to circumvent the need for a search warrant. Personally? I plan to set up a massive hydroponics bay in the basement complete with grow lights and big bags of fertilizer out front.

And grow Oregano. Lots and lots of Oregano. Then when the police raid I make a public show of it, lambaste it on the news and wait for the checks to roll in to keep me silent.

It's my retirement vehicle.
UrbanCore
* * * * * * *
"Guns don't kill people. They bring people back to life. As zombies. The *zombies* kill people."
Plannin' Man wrote:
Brash wrote: I'll be making wine. Fruit doesn't fight back. :D
You've obviously never startled a Watermelon.
Image

User avatar
StrangeLove
* * *
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: The Center of the Universe
Contact:

Re: Moohoohaha.

Post by StrangeLove » Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 am

Urban Core wrote:I plan to set up a massive hydroponics bay in the basement complete with grow lights and big bags of fertilizer out front.

And grow Oregano. Lots and lots of Oregano. Then when the police raid I make a public show of it, lambaste it on the news and wait for the checks to roll in to keep me silent.

It's my retirement vehicle.
You should look into false aralia.

Image

User avatar
ironraven
* * * * *
Posts: 3009
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:31 am
Location: Vermont

Post by ironraven » Sun May 04, 2008 11:28 am

There are all kinds of people using what the military calls a UAV, and the rest of the world calls a remote control airplane. People were putting cameras on them back in the 60s to do basic arial photography- get it in the right area, push a button, and it snaps off a full roll of film, or you had an 8mm in there. Now, with digital, you can real time your data over a radio modem.

I know of one that is being built for wild life research. Breaks into five packable loads, and one of the options is to have it home on a tracking collar on, say, a caribou, flies there, follows the herd for three or four hours taking photos every ten seconds or so, then uses GPS to back to were base camp is. Less likely to spook the animals, so less likely to cause stress on them during the calving season. Or they run it in manual mode, where they control it, and if it loses radio signal, it auto returns to what it thinks is home. The current hang up is making the wings strong enough and light enough, while being able to split them in half so you don't have the thing the size of a snowboard strapped to your ruck.

Next step would to teach it how to recognize said caribou visually. Or something else. But that is software.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

man_of_all_time
*
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: North West Tennessee
Contact:

Post by man_of_all_time » Sun May 04, 2008 11:39 am

There are a lot smaller uavs to worry about. I have friends that saw smaller versions of these at a peace march in Washington D.C. last year.

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/05/v ... s-bug.html

User avatar
stimpy321972
* * * * *
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Contact:

Post by stimpy321972 » Sun May 04, 2008 11:50 am

MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Image
Call Sign: KK4JKV

User avatar
shenkhu
* *
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: south shore mtl

Post by shenkhu » Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Image
Look at this amazing Micro Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (pictured - click to enlarge). It is currently being developed by the Seiko Epson Corp and was revealed at a Japanese trade show recently. It is being billed as 'the world's lightest and smallest UAV helicopter, the Micro Flying Robot.'
i'm sure we all could une one of these little buggies 8)
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

User avatar
BeerandGuns
* * * * *
Posts: 2718
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, La

Re: Moohoohaha.

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun May 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Urban Core wrote:
Gugnir wrote:Nerds in Virginia FTW!!!
Damn right! All those long hours of playing combat flight sims pay off for once. Who knew you could get a Specialist in darn video games.

Seriously however, there have been unconfirmed reports of using UAV's and manned aircraft with thermal sensors to pinpoint heat blooms from houses, more so then they would ever normally need. The idea is to spot "grow" operations in the area.

One questions the legality of this, considering it's using technology to circumvent the need for a search warrant. Personally? I plan to set up a massive hydroponics bay in the basement complete with grow lights and big bags of fertilizer out front.

And grow Oregano. Lots and lots of Oregano. Then when the police raid I make a public show of it, lambaste it on the news and wait for the checks to roll in to keep me silent.

It's my retirement vehicle.
Grow Okra. It has been known to cause drug raids when grown in areas not familiar with the plant. Besides, it's a great PAW crop.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

User avatar
stimpy321972
* * * * *
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Contact:

Post by stimpy321972 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:28 pm

hmmm, fried okra,,, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Image
Call Sign: KK4JKV

dedpool
* *
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:51 am
Location: Hokie Nation

Post by dedpool » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm a senior majoring in aerospace engineering and my design project this year was to design a tactical UAV. So I've done TONS of research on them. Fire departments are looking at using them to monitor forest fires and other natural disasters as well as to aid in search and rescue.
Them ain't crack whores, them bitches is crack whore zombies!!

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Moohoohaha.

Post by Jeriah » Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 pm

BeerandGuns wrote:
Urban Core wrote:
Gugnir wrote:Nerds in Virginia FTW!!!
Damn right! All those long hours of playing combat flight sims pay off for once. Who knew you could get a Specialist in darn video games.

Seriously however, there have been unconfirmed reports of using UAV's and manned aircraft with thermal sensors to pinpoint heat blooms from houses, more so then they would ever normally need. The idea is to spot "grow" operations in the area.

One questions the legality of this, considering it's using technology to circumvent the need for a search warrant. Personally? I plan to set up a massive hydroponics bay in the basement complete with grow lights and big bags of fertilizer out front.

And grow Oregano. Lots and lots of Oregano. Then when the police raid I make a public show of it, lambaste it on the news and wait for the checks to roll in to keep me silent.

It's my retirement vehicle.
Grow Okra. It has been known to cause drug raids when grown in areas not familiar with the plant. Besides, it's a great PAW crop.
Oh noes! I'm growing okra and I don't want to have to talk to the fuzz!

How do I explain this all?

"Yes, I have a Firearms Owner ID, and no, I haven't registered any firearms in the city of Chicago. They're all in a storage unit outside Cook County. Yes, that's a bomb casing in my living room; it's inert and I'm using it for a sculpture. Yes, those are ten thousand machine gun ammo links, and no, I don't have ammo or a machine gun to go with them. They're also for the sculpture. Yes, I have two racks of baseball bats, machetes, shovels, Mag Lites, and a scythe; those are for if zombies take over the world. And no, that's not pot, it's okra."
Image

User avatar
AwPhuch
* * * * *
Posts: 4742
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Moohoohaha.

Post by AwPhuch » Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 am

Jeriah wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
Urban Core wrote:
Gugnir wrote:Nerds in Virginia FTW!!!
Damn right! All those long hours of playing combat flight sims pay off for once. Who knew you could get a Specialist in darn video games.

Seriously however, there have been unconfirmed reports of using UAV's and manned aircraft with thermal sensors to pinpoint heat blooms from houses, more so then they would ever normally need. The idea is to spot "grow" operations in the area.

One questions the legality of this, considering it's using technology to circumvent the need for a search warrant. Personally? I plan to set up a massive hydroponics bay in the basement complete with grow lights and big bags of fertilizer out front.

And grow Oregano. Lots and lots of Oregano. Then when the police raid I make a public show of it, lambaste it on the news and wait for the checks to roll in to keep me silent.

It's my retirement vehicle.
Grow Okra. It has been known to cause drug raids when grown in areas not familiar with the plant. Besides, it's a great PAW crop.
Oh noes! I'm growing okra and I don't want to have to talk to the fuzz!

How do I explain this all?

"Yes, I have a Firearms Owner ID, and no, I haven't registered any firearms in the city of Chicago. They're all in a storage unit outside Cook County. Yes, that's a bomb casing in my living room; it's inert and I'm using it for a sculpture. Yes, those are ten thousand machine gun ammo links, and no, I don't have ammo or a machine gun to go with them. They're also for the sculpture. Yes, I have two racks of baseball bats, machetes, shovels, Mag Lites, and a scythe; those are for if zombies take over the world. And no, that's not pot, it's okra."
BLAM!

This just in...a drug raid reveals hundreds of assault weapons and a ounce of pot worth a bazillion dollars on the street

Dead men don't get checks bro! :?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

User avatar
KarLorian
* *
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 am
Location: Hilo, HI

Post by KarLorian » Fri May 09, 2008 2:32 am


User avatar
Brash
* * * * *
Posts: 6058
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.
Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK

Post by Brash » Fri May 09, 2008 7:35 am

I'm sure the police around here would love a couple of UAVs. It must be costing them a fortune to keep that helicopter of theirs in the air every night.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”