When is it time to bunker up?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dabster

When is it time to bunker up?

Post by Dabster » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Everyone here is at least a casual prepper. I suspect everyone has everything they need to avoid going out and getting sick, for at least a week. When do you decide to do this? If you're wrong -there might be social and professional penalties. If you go too soon -you may run out of supplies before it has passed (How embarrassing!). However, waiting for the government to tell you to do it is probably like closing the door after the horse got out.

How are all of you looking at this issue? I'm not saying we should panic but besides eagerly prepping, when do you take the next step?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Re: When is it time to bunker up?

Post by AlexanderPain » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm

That's a good question. When to bunker up is easier when it involves a tornado, hurricane, or nuclear exchange, but it's tougher when you are talking about a pandemic. I think it is probably an evolutionary process. You can do a lot of avoid exposure by shopping off peak, avoiding crowds, using the self-check out, and using hand cleaner fastidiously. As cases start to be reported in your city, wearing a face mask might be in order. Once the pandemic hits your city in earnest, you pretty much have to bunker up. Everyone will be bunkering up in the sense that they won't be going out unless the really need to go out.

From a business continuity perspective, if you have an office job, now is a good time to get work-from-home options in place and agreed upon. Can you log in remotely? Can you access your e-mail? Can you have a work provided laptop? It doesn't have to be pitched as a panic situation. These sorts of arrangements can help for pandemics, snow storms, or hurricanes. I once worked at an office that had to be evacuated for two or three days for pest control because someone got bit by a spider.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: https://worldsofpain.blogspot.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:42 pm

FIrst off if we got to the bunker up level. It's going to be a lot longer than a week. Look how long China has quarantined it's people. ( that is still ongoing )
So far every confirmed( and even suspected/under observation) case in this country has a direct link with someone from China or recent visit there.
When we begin seeing clusters of confirmed cases with no link from China , will be closer to bunker up time. But now would be the time to go over your preps to make sure you would be ready whether it's tomorrow or three months from now.( or never)
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm

I would suggest a benchmark one month self quarantine as a basic goal of preparedness. Food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, toiletries. Water is less important if you're preparing for self quarantine, as the machine is likely to grind on around you. However adding 30 days of water isn't a bad idea if you can achieve 30 days of everything else with ease.

As for the when; as has already been said, until unrelated cases are popping up around your AO, you're free and clear. Until an unrelated case occurs in a place you visit or travel regularly, you're probably fine. Pandemics are a crapshoot, someone has to be that first.

"How" is an excellent question which needs to be asked. Do you live alone? If so, can you work from home? Regardless, the best preparation is financial security for 1-6 months. Ideally without interference to any financial commitments. I cannot work from home, but my wife can. That's a good start in a bug in situation. In the event you choose to isolate yourself, will you have a life to go back to.

CoVic19 is pretty low threat. We are a long way from these musings being critical. But it's always a good day to get more prepared.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Triggers and Actions. Like BOP says, until unrelated cases start popping up in your area, there's little to worry about (That is realistic) but once it does start, there are actions you start taking. For example, when unrelated cases start popping up in my city, I'm going to stop taking transit into work. Might be too late, but it's a good benchmark. If there's cases in the building or other office towers downtown, I'm going to move to work from home. In a scenario like this, a financial cushion is the best prep you can ever have. It gives you options.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Provided we have electricity and water my family and I are good for ~60 days. If we lose water, we live near a lake and/or a river and have lots of water filtering gear. If we lose power it will be harder, a lot of stuff in the freezer could be salvaged and our diet may suffer a bit but I think we'd be good for ~6 weeks or until the quinoa kills us.

My wife and I are both in technical support. She works from home full time and I work from home 2/5 days a week. I have asked my management about working from home until this blows over and they have laughed at the thought of it (If I don't go -I'll be in trouble). My kids go to a public school (If they don't go -I'll be in trouble).

Obviously if this was a zombie virus or something more tangible, I could simply stay home and live/work in happy seclusion but society is resisting this. I guess I'll just keep watching out.

Thanks for the great responses.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:11 pm

Dabster wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 pm
I have asked my management about working from home until this blows over and they have laughed at the thought of it (If I don't go -I'll be in trouble). My kids go to a public school (If they don't go -I'll be in trouble).
Wow. Just wow. Not that the opinion of a crackpot zombie forum member would be at all persuasive, but that is a dangerously ignorant position for an employer to take. And the polar opposite of what my (large, incredibly conservative, glacially-slow-to-innovate insurance) company is saying. They've already sent out an enterprise wide communication with links to our company's business continuity plans and encouraged everyone to immediately discuss with their managers work at home protocols. And the communication included a ton of useful CDC, FEMA and WHO links on how workers can protect themselves and their families from this virus.

Words cannot begin to express how tone deaf and dangerously out of touch your employer is to the potential reality of this situation. Have you considered updating your LinkedIn profile?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:11 pm
Dabster wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 pm
I have asked my management about working from home until this blows over and they have laughed at the thought of it (If I don't go -I'll be in trouble). My kids go to a public school (If they don't go -I'll be in trouble).
Wow. Just wow. Not that the opinion of a crackpot zombie forum member would be at all persuasive, but that is a dangerously ignorant position for an employer to take. And the polar opposite of what my (large, incredibly conservative, glacially-slow-to-innovate insurance) company is saying. They've already sent out an enterprise wide communication with links to our company's business continuity plans and encouraged everyone to immediately discuss with their managers work at home protocols. And the communication included a ton of useful CDC, FEMA and WHO links on how workers can protect themselves and their families from this virus.

Words cannot begin to express how tone deaf and dangerously out of touch your employer is to the potential reality of this situation. Have you considered updating your LinkedIn profile?
My company has no immediate plans to implement BC/DR, but they've quietly floated stripping the building to a skeleton crew (there are functions that have to be done on-site) and having most of the company work from home.

I don't think anything will be implemented until there's at least a regional case of COVID-19, which on the whole I don't think is unreasonable. Cutting production (lack of people), increased costs from "friction" as people WFH, and so on would be a massive expense which--at this time--seems unwarranted.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 pm

So, my factory's GM left yesterday for a two week vacation to Vietnam. :clownshoes:
I only found out his destination yesterday during our morning operations meeting when a department manager joked about forcing him to quarantine after he returns. Besides chairing a few meetings, most of his work could be conducted from home, and he's salary anyways.
I'm on the health and safety committee and I was approached later in the day by two employees asking if anything was going to be done.
I'm going to have to have the discussion with his superiors on Monday (he's the guy I would typically take any expressed H&S concerns to). I don't know how I actually feel about it. On one hand, it's moderately low risk of him or his wife and daughter bringing something back. On the other hand, it's not the biggest loss to have him working remotely for two weeks.

But to tie this into the topic at hand, I considered taking at least one week vacation upon his return.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm

Last month. Where do you think I have been all month? Finished off all my preps for a long term BI. Now just pushing it to the last minute. When the economy completes its collapse and the pandemic is at the gates it will just be the family.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:37 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Last month. Where do you think I have been all month? Finished off all my preps for a long term BI. Now just pushing it to the last minute. When the economy completes its collapse and the pandemic is at the gates it will just be the family.
Perimeter secure? Troops placed? :mrgreen:

I need to read that thread again. One of the more valuable contributions to the board

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:37 pm
Stercutus wrote:

I need to read that thread again. One of the more valuable contributions to the board
If you haven't stolen borrowed an APC from your local VFW and have it parked blocking your driveway then you are behind the eight ball at this point.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 pm
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

If you haven't stolen borrowed an APC from your local VFW and have it parked blocking your driveway then you are behind the eight ball at this point.
Well I tried to secure one of those Finnish tanks on skids. But it was no go. So I settled on a catapult that is set to fire fifty pounds of sticky wild bird seed at anyone trespassing on my driveway. They will have to deal with the flock of lazy hungry starlings who mooch off my wifes good intentions. ATTACK WINGED AVENGERS

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm
Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Well I tried to secure one of those Finnish tanks on skids. But it was no go. So I settled on a catapult that is set to fire fifty pounds of sticky wild bird seed at anyone trespassing on my driveway. They will have to deal with the flock of lazy hungry starlings who mooch off my wifes good intentions. ATTACK WINGED AVENGERS
Everyone has to work within their own skill set. Adapt, Overcome, Survive!
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 am
flybynight wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 pm
Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:

I need to read that thread again. One of the more valuable contributions to the board.
Everyone has to work within their own skill set. Adapt, Overcome, Survive!
Should that fail: Shoot, Communicate, Move on UP!

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 pm

AlexanderPain wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm
That's a good question. When to bunker up is easier when it involves a tornado, hurricane, or nuclear exchange, but it's tougher when you are talking about a pandemic. I think it is probably an evolutionary process. You can do a lot of avoid exposure by shopping off peak, avoiding crowds, using the self-check out, and using hand cleaner fastidiously. As cases start to be reported in your city, wearing a face mask might be in order. Once the pandemic hits your city in earnest, you pretty much have to bunker up. Everyone will be bunkering up in the sense that they won't be going out unless the really need to go out.

From a business continuity perspective, if you have an office job, now is a good time to get work-from-home options in place and agreed upon. Can you log in remotely? Can you access your e-mail? Can you have a work provided laptop? It doesn't have to be pitched as a panic situation. These sorts of arrangements can help for pandemics, snow storms, or hurricanes. I once worked at an office that had to be evacuated for two or three days for pest control because someone got bit by a spider.
I'm in a 2 person office setting (me and a subordinate.. very competent, fantastic, awesome, etc... just I'm in charge) and we decided to put hand sanitizers out at the front counter. Office will pay for n95 masks if the office must remain open even in a bad situation. I'm now exploring options for work at home. Anyone can check work emails from home - I can work remotely... We are likely covered outside of a "Wuhan - shut it down - metro lock down".

My big concern is - since there are just 2 of us - what are options to keep us separate? Taking paid sick time to avoid sharing office time won't work during a protracted situation.... I've not looked into PREVENTATIVE use of FMLA, but maybe its an option.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:48 pm

00dlez wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 pm
AlexanderPain wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm

I'm in a 2 person office setting (me and a subordinate.. very competent, fantastic, awesome, etc... just I'm in charge) and we decided to put hand sanitizers out at the front counter. Office will pay for n95 masks if the office must remain open even in a bad situation. I'm now exploring options for work at home. Anyone can check work emails from home - I can work remotely... We are likely covered outside of a "Wuhan - shut it down - metro lock down".

My big concern is - since there are just 2 of us - what are options to keep us separate? Taking paid sick time to avoid sharing office time won't work during a protracted situation.... I've not looked into PREVENTATIVE use of FMLA, but maybe its an option.
How large physically is the office? Is it possible to work separate alternate work schedules? To be honest as long as you have separate work stations, use hand sanitizer frequently, And disinfect surfaces twice daily and as a last resort both wear a mask. Should be fine

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:16 pm

[/solution found]

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:23 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:16 pm

[/solution found]
Well yea, if you're trying to stop eavesdroppers. The cone of silence is not bacterial inhibition rated. Sheesh get smart :awesome:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Just to add to the comedy...

My mother-in-law is very sickly (83 y/o, obese, multiple heart attacks) and her greatest fear is dying because of the inability to breathe (Both of her parents died due to congestive heart failure). My wife suggested skipping church or at least sitting by herself and avoiding physical contact until the Corona virus passes. She called her priest, he assured her that all of the fear was a political ploy and she had no worries. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but -somehow, someway- I am still surprised.

Love the Get Smart jokes!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat May 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Was looking for another thread and saw this one. Seems like a long time ago we discussed when to bunker up. March 16 we bunkered up. Was called back to work on the 4th of May. Strange times indeed.

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by AlexanderPain » Sun May 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Strange times for sure. Now, it seems like the questions are -

When do we come out of the bunker?
Will we have to go back to the bunker?

Even though Georgia is opening up for business again, it will be a long time before we feel comfortable dining in at restaurants or actually shopping in Brick-n-Mortar stores.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: https://worldsofpain.blogspot.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Even though Georgia is opening up for business again, it will be a long time before we feel comfortable dining in at restaurants or actually shopping in Brick-n-Mortar stores.
Not sure who "we" are. I already feel comfortable. I went shopping yesterday for a Mother's Day present.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 10, 2020 4:36 pm

I would agree that the "we" is a group in America, but a limited group. More or less than 50%? I have no idea. But I'm pretty comfortable. I'm in a low risk group in a low risk state. And even if this was not the case, I don't think I'd be very worried. I was at peace and not at all "bunkered up" even before I found out I'm in a charmed place with relation to Covid.

Now, if it was Ebola sweeping the world? I'd be bunkered up.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “What Would You Do?”