What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:30 pm

What will be the very first thing you will do in that type situation?

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7023
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am

Stay home, lock the doors, load up the guns and crack open that bottle of Jefferson Reserve I've been saving for a special occasion.

Depending on your point of view, either world of zombies is that special occasion, or I'm not going to be around long enough to experience another one.

Either way, it's a fine sippin' bourbon whiskey.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:09 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am
Stay home, lock the doors, load up the guns and crack open that bottle of Jefferson Reserve I've been saving for a special occasion.

Depending on your point of view, either world of zombies is that special occasion, or I'm not going to be around long enough to experience another on.

Either way, it's a fine sippin' bourbon whiskey.
True true. Me. I'm cry. I'm not heat type of person. So I know for a fact we all going back to the stone age.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2770
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:04 pm

I'd play COD zombies. Can't ever have TOO many zombies. :awesome:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:04 pm
I'd play COD zombies. Can't ever have TOO many zombies. :awesome:
Lol hehe. I'll I smoke a couple of "cigaweed" :wink: :wink:

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13284
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I guess I'd put the Katana back in my EDC?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm
I guess I'd put the Katana back in my EDC?
nice katana. Good to clear path of zombies :D

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7577
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8012
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm

LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Damn!!! Praise God you survived.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8012
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:07 pm

GEMINI[]92 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm
TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Damn!!! Praise God you survived.
Indeed - I've no doubt the Almighty isn't quite ready to punch my ticket...yet. As the bard once opined "It isn't the going, but being ready that counts"

Thnaks
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:11 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:07 pm
GEMINI[]92 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm
TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Damn!!! Praise God you survived.
Indeed - I've no doubt the Almighty isn't quite ready to punch my ticket...yet. As the bard once opined "It isn't the going, but being ready that counts"

Thnaks
Yes that's so true. You welcome.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13284
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm glad you are doing all right tac. I refuse to ride a bicycle on a public road for that very reason. These days you would be lucky if they even stopped to render aid. With all the illegals in the country with no driver's license and insurance (and often intoxicated behind the wheel) they run off as soon as they hit something to avoid being deported. Sometimes they even run off on foot if the vehicle is no longer running. We had visitor from Mexico and one from Guatemala killed in the last two years in our city fleeing hit and run on the highway on foot and get run over subsequently.


Any way you look at it you are screwed. They have no insurance, are likely using a fake name and no assets you can get a hold of.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm glad you are doing all right tac. I refuse to ride a bicycle on a public road for that very reason. These days you would be lucky if they even stopped to render aid. With all the illegals in the country with no driver's license and insurance (and often intoxicated behind the wheel) they run off as soon as they hit something to avoid being deported. Sometimes they even run off on foot if the vehicle is no longer running. We had visitor from Mexico and one from Guatemala killed in the last two years in our city fleeing hit and run on the highway on foot and get run over subsequently.


Any way you look at it you are screwed. They have no insurance, are likely using a fake name and no assets you can get a hold of.
This is why I have uninsured motorists coverage. The couple times I needed it was due to upper class white kids that couldn't be bothered to act like adults forgetting to pay their premium. They're in that "poor college student" phase of their life so there's no use suing them either. But with proper insurance, I don't have to.

Back to OP, I'd barricade the 2 nearby bridges over the river that lead to civilization. Then get my garden ready for a massive expansion, and try to help surviving neighbors do the same.

Whatever the state of my immediate neighborhood, I'd be trying to get food production going wherever it was fairly safe from zombies trampling it. There's a surprising amount of spectacular "farmland" in my neighborhood with good fences around it (park, sports field, community garden). More than myself and my immediate neighbors could fully take advantage of, or would be likely to have seeds for. We're completely surrounded by commercial farmland, but it's nearly all berries, corn, or potatoes. Not much variety.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7577
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:24 am

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Ouch! I was hit by a car while biking when I lived in Baltimore. Like you, it destroyed my bike and knocked me on my ass but unlike you, I came through it with no serious injuries. I hope yours heal quickly and I'm glad, very glad actually, that you were not prematurely taken from us. You've always been an asset to the ZS community and I like having you around.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Zed Hunter
* *
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am

Brick up the lower half of the windows, the porch entrance, etc. Get out the long, shot, and short guns. All my ammo. Swords, spears, ring mail. And start servicing targets at long range till they surround the house. (Load bearing brick). Then start stabby stabby hack chop. My arms are going to get very tired. It's going to stink. I'll probably die. But what a way to go. He he he he.

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 am

Zed Hunter wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:50 am
Brick up the lower half of the windows, the porch entrance, etc. Get out the long, shot, and short guns. All my ammo. Swords, spears, ring mail. And start servicing targets at long range till they surround the house. (Load bearing brick). Then start stabby stabby hack chop. My arms are going to get very tired. It's going to stink. I'll probably die. But what a way to go. He he he he.
Damn. That's fucking deep. That one hella way to go.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13284
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 am
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm glad you are doing all right tac. I refuse to ride a bicycle on a public road for that very reason. These days you would be lucky if they even stopped to render aid. With all the illegals in the country with no driver's license and insurance (and often intoxicated behind the wheel) they run off as soon as they hit something to avoid being deported. Sometimes they even run off on foot if the vehicle is no longer running. We had visitor from Mexico and one from Guatemala killed in the last two years in our city fleeing hit and run on the highway on foot and get run over subsequently.


Any way you look at it you are screwed. They have no insurance, are likely using a fake name and no assets you can get a hold of.
This is why I have uninsured motorists coverage.
Wow, I had no idea you could get uninsured motorist coverage on bicycles.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7577
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:47 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 am
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm glad you are doing all right tac. I refuse to ride a bicycle on a public road for that very reason. These days you would be lucky if they even stopped to render aid. With all the illegals in the country with no driver's license and insurance (and often intoxicated behind the wheel) they run off as soon as they hit something to avoid being deported. Sometimes they even run off on foot if the vehicle is no longer running. We had visitor from Mexico and one from Guatemala killed in the last two years in our city fleeing hit and run on the highway on foot and get run over subsequently.


Any way you look at it you are screwed. They have no insurance, are likely using a fake name and no assets you can get a hold of.
This is why I have uninsured motorists coverage.
Wow, I had no idea you could get uninsured motorist coverage on bicycles.
You probably can. You can get insurance for just about anything if you're willing to pay the premiums.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
manacheck
*
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by manacheck » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:59 am

pfft. I can answer that :awesome:

"Urrrghhh... URRGHHH..." The low cacaphony of unpleasant wordless sounds wakes me up. Slowly. Along with the groans, dull fleshy thumps sound against the house, vibrating the walls and floor gently. Then the dogs start barking.

'Shut up,' I think, and try to go back to sleep. 'It's too early for construction.'

'RUFF RUFF RUFF RUFF HOOWWWLLL!' The two tiny dogs spaz out in their crates and I'm tempted to yell for them to shut up, from my bed where my sleep paralysis is, like usual for the first few minutes, keeping me in place. My brain starts to wake up and I'm pissed off that no one told me they were starting a new project in the morning; I could have worn earplugs. I could have set my alarm and gotten up and helped whatever it is. And why is the damn house shaking?

Then I realize that there's more than one or two sets of voices groaning outside. And the window gets slammed against, shaking it in its place. Adreneline slams my body as my anxiety reminds me that hey, everything in the universe is dangerous even when it's not, and instantly I'm on my feet even though one of them buckles under me and I bang into some furniture.

Loud swearing comes out of my mouth and I try not to hit the inanimate object that injured me, even though it's my own fault, really. I take a moment to get my brain under control and rub my leg to bring it to life, standing on the other leg and kind of leaning against the inner wall of the room in my underwear and socks.

"URRRGHHHH," a louder noise cries and my window is slammed against again. The curtains and blinds are closed, but I can see the shape of something right outside. Obviously, if I move to look, whatever I see will see me back, so I stay still a second longer, glancing around to identify where my shoes, pants, and keys are. I grab my mp3 player and headphones first, then silently walk with as few steps as possible to the door, collecting said clothes and keys on the way, and only putting on the shorts before opening the door and closing it, locked, behind me.

The windows in the next room are uncurtained and I see a mass of people groaning and slamming their bodies against various sections of the house. I don't get a good look because my anxiety just spiked, and if I can see them, they can see me. I walk quickly to the bathroom and close the door.

I take a second to put on my shoes and add keys and music player to my pockets, which may or may not still have a comb, my phone, or my wallet, in them, depending on how yesterday went.

Trying to figure out what the hell is going on out there, it doesn't even occur to me that it's actual zombies. Whether or not I notice the state of death in the milling people outside, my brain tells me "Nah, no. That's not an actual thing. Or, maybe this is a dream."

I look around the room to see if anything doesn't make sense, like things generally do in dreams. Yep, the walls are all there and no purple elephants are showing up in the tub. Not that it proves anything, but... maybe a dream, maybe not a dream.

I start getting angry to deal with my anxiety. If people were going to be outside in force, probably doing construction or something, someone should have let me know. I resolve to give my house members a piece of my mind and let them know that wasn't a good way to wake up. The dogs still freaking out barking their heads off isn't helping my peace of mind, either, so I decide to stick with being pissed for a little while. I take a deep breath and decide whether or not to try to just go back to bed.

Nope. Alright. So.

I look around for a clean shirt in the bathroom and find one. Good job, me. I was ready for a morning shower. Instead of going back to the room with the uncurtained windows, I head up the stairs, to look for the rest of my household and an explaination. Maybe it's not something they knew was going to happen. It's actually kind of out of character, really, so maybe something unexpected is going on. I think all this within about half a second, and rethink whether maybe I should go back to my bedroom and get a weapon, just in case.

'I'll get commented on if I look paranoid like that,' I disparage myself and shake my head. I go upstairs. No one is there, but I hear sleepy sounds from the other bedrooms. Are they not awake? Then... what's all this outside?

If the people outside were expected, someone would be up and out there with them. I frown and go to the kitchen window and look out from above.

Yep. Dozens of people milling around out there. What for? THUMP, THUMP. "URRRGHHHHhhh..."

There seems to be no reason. They're not looking at anything in particular. Some of them are against the wall of the house downstairs, slamming into it like they're brain dead. 'Oh. Okay. It's a dream after all,' I think.

There's a little movement as one of the local outdoor bunies hops in the grass. Then there's more movement as one of the random people outside grabs for the bunny and takes a bite out of its stomach. The rabbit screams, and I can hear it through the glass.

"Shut up!" one of my household yells frumpily, presumably to the yodeling dogs in their crates. "Go to bed! Night-night!!"

I'm not actually sure what to do, but considering that yesterday was a normal day, and now suddenly my world is full of what I now assume are zombies, I'm thinking I won't go outside to ask what they're there for.

'Maybe we should board up the windows,' I think numbly, as a crash of splintering glass from downstairs tinkles through my ears and suddenly the moans get much louder.

I bang on the nearest bedroom door and check to see if it's locked. "We're being broken into! I'm coming into the room! Make yourself decent!" I shout if the door is unlocked. "Open the door! Now! It's an emergency!" I yell if it's locked.

If it's locked, it takes about 7 seconds too long to open the door, by which time I'm screaming and being eaten. My blood splashes across the open doorjam as the occupant looks out, looking rumpled for about a quarter of a second before they're attacked and chunks are bitten away, too. Then everyone dies.

If it's unlocked, I rudely go inside and close the door just in time as a zombie shambles upstairs, going after the freaked sound I'm making. "What is going on!" the occupant demands, reasonably pissed off, probably not reasonably attired. The sound of the dog crates being broken into and a dog's scream happens. I'm blocking the door so it keeps the occupant from leaving, but they're suddenly scared and angry and want to check on the pets.

"You can't go out, they'll get in!" I yell as the door shudders against the weight of zombies slamming into it. I hold the door to keep it on its hinges, but it's an indoor door, not an outdoor door, and I get the dawning realization that we are doomed.

The sound of dog nails scrambling on hardwood for a couple moments have us looking at each other, but then a second horrible dog scream that goes into a more horrible peeling screech that continues and continues for long moments follows.

There's no where to go. The only way we'd get out is if the zombies are attracted to the sound of the dying dog and we're quiet enough to let them move on. But more likely, the door gets slammed off its hinges, and we get eaten on the way to trying to open a window to outside, even though the window doesn't go anywhere but down into the hoarde.

(So basically, NT2C's clip is pretty on the mark in this household. 8-) )

Then again, if it was just the REST of the world that was all zombies, instead of them literally swarming outside with no notice or news coverage, the result might play out differently... for at least the first few days, until the power goes out, my household uses up all my stored water, all the nearby gas stations go down for the count, etc etc.

...Of course, if this were an even MORE different kind of zombie outbreak, I'd be Highlander and when they attacked, I'd have my overcoat and katana all set. When I ran up the stairs, I'd save the dogs and slice up all the intruders while heroically shouting orders to put up wood to block the broken windows. Also I probably wouldn't sleep in my underwear.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

GEMINI[]92
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 am

manacheck wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:59 am
pfft. I can answer that :awesome:

"Urrrghhh... URRGHHH..." The low cacaphony of unpleasant wordless sounds wakes me up. Slowly. Along with the groans, dull fleshy thumps sound against the house, vibrating the walls and floor gently. Then the dogs start barking.

'Shut up,' I think, and try to go back to sleep. 'It's too early for construction.'

'RUFF RUFF RUFF RUFF HOOWWWLLL!' The two tiny dogs spaz out in their crates and I'm tempted to yell for them to shut up, from my bed where my sleep paralysis is, like usual for the first few minutes, keeping me in place. My brain starts to wake up and I'm pissed off that no one told me they were starting a new project in the morning; I could have worn earplugs. I could have set my alarm and gotten up and helped whatever it is. And why is the damn house shaking?

Then I realize that there's more than one or two sets of voices groaning outside. And the window gets slammed against, shaking it in its place. Adreneline slams my body as my anxiety reminds me that hey, everything in the universe is dangerous even when it's not, and instantly I'm on my feet even though one of them buckles under me and I bang into some furniture.

Loud swearing comes out of my mouth and I try not to hit the inanimate object that injured me, even though it's my own fault, really. I take a moment to get my brain under control and rub my leg to bring it to life, standing on the other leg and kind of leaning against the inner wall of the room in my underwear and socks.

"URRRGHHHH," a louder noise cries and my window is slammed against again. The curtains and blinds are closed, but I can see the shape of something right outside. Obviously, if I move to look, whatever I see will see me back, so I stay still a second longer, glancing around to identify where my shoes, pants, and keys are. I grab my mp3 player and headphones first, then silently walk with as few steps as possible to the door, collecting said clothes and keys on the way, and only putting on the shorts before opening the door and closing it, locked, behind me.

The windows in the next room are uncurtained and I see a mass of people groaning and slamming their bodies against various sections of the house. I don't get a good look because my anxiety just spiked, and if I can see them, they can see me. I walk quickly to the bathroom and close the door.

I take a second to put on my shoes and add keys and music player to my pockets, which may or may not still have a comb, my phone, or my wallet, in them, depending on how yesterday went.

Trying to figure out what the hell is going on out there, it doesn't even occur to me that it's actual zombies. Whether or not I notice the state of death in the milling people outside, my brain tells me "Nah, no. That's not an actual thing. Or, maybe this is a dream."

I look around the room to see if anything doesn't make sense, like things generally do in dreams. Yep, the walls are all there and no purple elephants are showing up in the tub. Not that it proves anything, but... maybe a dream, maybe not a dream.

I start getting angry to deal with my anxiety. If people were going to be outside in force, probably doing construction or something, someone should have let me know. I resolve to give my house members a piece of my mind and let them know that wasn't a good way to wake up. The dogs still freaking out barking their heads off isn't helping my peace of mind, either, so I decide to stick with being pissed for a little while. I take a deep breath and decide whether or not to try to just go back to bed.

Nope. Alright. So.

I look around for a clean shirt in the bathroom and find one. Good job, me. I was ready for a morning shower. Instead of going back to the room with the uncurtained windows, I head up the stairs, to look for the rest of my household and an explaination. Maybe it's not something they knew was going to happen. It's actually kind of out of character, really, so maybe something unexpected is going on. I think all this within about half a second, and rethink whether maybe I should go back to my bedroom and get a weapon, just in case.

'I'll get commented on if I look paranoid like that,' I disparage myself and shake my head. I go upstairs. No one is there, but I hear sleepy sounds from the other bedrooms. Are they not awake? Then... what's all this outside?

If the people outside were expected, someone would be up and out there with them. I frown and go to the kitchen window and look out from above.

Yep. Dozens of people milling around out there. What for? THUMP, THUMP. "URRRGHHHHhhh..."

There seems to be no reason. They're not looking at anything in particular. Some of them are against the wall of the house downstairs, slamming into it like they're brain dead. 'Oh. Okay. It's a dream after all,' I think.

There's a little movement as one of the local outdoor bunies hops in the grass. Then there's more movement as one of the random people outside grabs for the bunny and takes a bite out of its stomach. The rabbit screams, and I can hear it through the glass.

"Shut up!" one of my household yells frumpily, presumably to the yodeling dogs in their crates. "Go to bed! Night-night!!"

I'm not actually sure what to do, but considering that yesterday was a normal day, and now suddenly my world is full of what I now assume are zombies, I'm thinking I won't go outside to ask what they're there for.

'Maybe we should board up the windows,' I think numbly, as a crash of splintering glass from downstairs tinkles through my ears and suddenly the moans get much louder.

I bang on the nearest bedroom door and check to see if it's locked. "We're being broken into! I'm coming into the room! Make yourself decent!" I shout if the door is unlocked. "Open the door! Now! It's an emergency!" I yell if it's locked.

If it's locked, it takes about 7 seconds too long to open the door, by which time I'm screaming and being eaten. My blood splashes across the open doorjam as the occupant looks out, looking rumpled for about a quarter of a second before they're attacked and chunks are bitten away, too. Then everyone dies.

If it's unlocked, I rudely go inside and close the door just in time as a zombie shambles upstairs, going after the freaked sound I'm making. "What is going on!" the occupant demands, reasonably pissed off, probably not reasonably attired. The sound of the dog crates being broken into and a dog's scream happens. I'm blocking the door so it keeps the occupant from leaving, but they're suddenly scared and angry and want to check on the pets.

"You can't go out, they'll get in!" I yell as the door shudders against the weight of zombies slamming into it. I hold the door to keep it on its hinges, but it's an indoor door, not an outdoor door, and I get the dawning realization that we are doomed.

The sound of dog nails scrambling on hardwood for a couple moments have us looking at each other, but then a second horrible dog scream that goes into a more horrible peeling screech that continues and continues for long moments follows.

There's no where to go. The only way we'd get out is if the zombies are attracted to the sound of the dying dog and we're quiet enough to let them move on. But more likely, the door gets slammed off its hinges, and we get eaten on the way to trying to open a window to outside, even though the window doesn't go anywhere but down into the hoarde.

(So basically, NT2C's clip is pretty on the mark in this household. 8-) )

Then again, if it was just the REST of the world that was all zombies, instead of them literally swarming outside with no notice or news coverage, the result might play out differently... for at least the first few days, until the power goes out, my household uses up all my stored water, all the nearby gas stations go down for the count, etc etc.

...Of course, if this were an even MORE different kind of zombie outbreak, I'd be Highlander and when they attacked, I'd have my overcoat and katana all set. When I ran up the stairs, I'd save the dogs and slice up all the intruders while heroically shouting orders to put up wood to block the broken windows. Also I probably wouldn't sleep in my underwear.
Oh man that's good. That's intense.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8012
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by TacAir » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:00 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:24 am
TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Ouch! I was hit by a car while biking when I lived in Baltimore. Like you, it destroyed my bike and knocked me on my ass but unlike you, I came through it with no serious injuries. I hope yours heal quickly and I'm glad, very glad actually, that you were not prematurely taken from us. You've always been an asset to the ZS community and I like having you around.
That;s very kind of you to say that. I'm pretty happy at being alive/mostly in one piece as well!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

RoneKiln
* * *
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 am
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm
I'm glad you are doing all right tac. I refuse to ride a bicycle on a public road for that very reason. These days you would be lucky if they even stopped to render aid. With all the illegals in the country with no driver's license and insurance (and often intoxicated behind the wheel) they run off as soon as they hit something to avoid being deported. Sometimes they even run off on foot if the vehicle is no longer running. We had visitor from Mexico and one from Guatemala killed in the last two years in our city fleeing hit and run on the highway on foot and get run over subsequently.


Any way you look at it you are screwed. They have no insurance, are likely using a fake name and no assets you can get a hold of.
This is why I have uninsured motorists coverage.

Wow, I had no idea you could get uninsured motorist coverage on bicycles.

In my part of the world, a bike ridden on the road is legally a vehicle. My car insurance covers me in any vehicle I am driving on the road. It has in the past covered my medical when I was sideswiped by a car that didn't stop. I expect they would deny me without a police report clearly documenting it happened while legally riding on the road. Trying to bill them never occurred to me. My chiropractor pretty much took care of it. I just sent them a copy of the report when they checked with me to confirm his billing.

I'll really miss my chiropractor when the zombies come. :lol:

More importantly, there is something you can do about uninsured motorists, and the risk of them exists among all demographics of people.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

wamba
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:32 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).
Location: Kansas (edge of the Flint Hills

Re: What if yesterday was a normal day. Next day your whole life is world of zombies.

Post by wamba » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
LOL

I don't worry about Zombies.

I was riding my bike (7/30) and was struck by a truck. Knocked me on my ass, tore up a bunch of body pieces/parts and totaled the bike.

I worry about real life situations that come out of left field - and how to handle those. The End of the World as you Know it Today can become very personal, very quickly.

Just say'n
Damn man, glad to know it wasn’t worse. For what it’s worth you would be missed around here.

Ok, if I woke up and it’s the zombie apocalypse I probably wouldn’t know until I got out to the highway. I live in the middle of 160 acres, half mile of driveway, and the house can’t be seen from the road. However just over a mile away on the other side of a decent sized hill is a fairly popular little road side rest stop, so there’s a good chance I’d see signs that things weren’t normal by the time I got close to the highway. I’d probably have a little time before too many found the house. I’d have to get creative about putting up some kind of barrier. I’ve actually touched the on this in a “What Would You Do” thread of my own. My brother & I would probably fire up the tractor to start moving some downed cedar and hedge trees around the house and outbuildings. We have a good supply of big round bales handy too, they’ve been sitting for a few weeks so they’ve got a flat side that’ll keep them from rolling without major work. Then we assess our food and resources, while at least one of us keeps a look out. If we could get a basic barricade in place before the noise drew too many in we might have a chance to hold out a few weeks at the least. With any luck a couple of months.
90% of my belongings (including preps) are still at my ex-wife’s house so we wouldn’t be as well off as we should. But on the plus side her chances go up nicely if she can secure the house quickly enough.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”