Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Job

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
I don't think that human physical strength has kept pace with machine strength so we'll need some sort of exoskeleton to fight robots.
Your strategy of using the computer controlled exoskeleton to fight robots may have a critical flaw.

The robot later pointed out: "In 10 or 20 years, robots will be able to do every human job.
So they said 20, 30, 40 years ago.

I remember, I was there.
We need handheld railgun tech & EMP to fight the robot/AI threat. :D

I was on board with this BEFORE the threat of robots. I am an apocalypse hipster. And I love rail guns and EMPs.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:16 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
I don't think that human physical strength has kept pace with machine strength so we'll need some sort of exoskeleton to fight robots.
Your strategy of using the computer controlled exoskeleton to fight robots may have a critical flaw.

The robot later pointed out: "In 10 or 20 years, robots will be able to do every human job.

I remember, I was there.
Best I've got is a couple Super Soakers and a garden hose. That work for you ? :lol:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I remember, I was there.

I was on board with this BEFORE the threat of robots. I am an apocalypse hipster. And I love rail guns and EMPs.
:rofl:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:22 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I remember, I was there.
Best I've got is a couple Super Soakers and a garden hose. That work for you ? :lol:
I's takes what I's can gets.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:

I remember, I was there.

I left my Jetsons flying car somewhere around here.... seen it?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I remember, I was there.

I left my Jetsons flying car somewhere around here.... seen it?
There it is....

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:43 pm

If Elon Musk says it, it must be true...

[URL]https://www.recode.net/2017/7/15/159767 ... ns-ai/[URL]

Elon Musk just told a group of America’s governors that we need to regulate AI before it’s too late
Musk is terrified of an AI takeover.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 am

Dabster wrote:If Elon Musk says it, it must be true...

Elon Musk just told a group of America’s governors that we need to regulate AI before it’s too late
Is this for real-real, not for play-play?

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Dabster wrote:If Elon Musk says it, it must be true...

Is this for real-real, not for play-play?
He has been saying that for a while now. Funny thing is the tech people who are scared of such stuff are the ones making it happen. Don't want it to happen, then stop trying to make AI.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am

jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

NamelessStain wrote:And another study on automation...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tech-may-re ... n-the-u-s/
I wonder how this will affect my retirement. The shrinking tax base, & all of that.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:26 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

I wonder how this will affect my retirement. The shrinking tax base, & all of that.
Soylent Green is people!
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Dabster wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Soylent Green is people!
I await the day when people like me are turn into low-cost people chow. :wink:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I await the day when people like me are turn into low-cost people chow. :wink:

Berets are required attire :mrgreen:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

teotwaki wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:I await the day when people like me are turn into low-cost people chow. :wink:

Berets are required attire :mrgreen:

I wonder how much a place with furniture would cost? :D

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Both stories are from NPR's website:

Elon Musk Warns Governors that AI poses Existential Risk
Elon Musk Warns Governors: Artificial Intelligence Poses 'Existential Risk' July 17, 2017 By Camila Domonoske

Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaking to U.S. governors this weekend, told the political leaders that artificial intelligence poses an "existential threat" to human civilization.

At the bipartisan National Governors Association in Rhode Island, Musk also spoke about energy sources, his own electric car company and space travel. But when Gov. Brian Sandoval of Nevada, grinning, asked if robots will take everyone's jobs in the future — Musk wasn't joking when he responded.

Yes, "robots will do everything better than us," Musk said. But he's worried about more than the job market.

"AI is a fundamental existential risk for human civilization, and I don't think people fully appreciate that," Musk said. He said he has access to cutting-edge AI technology, and that based on what he's seen, AI is "the scariest problem."

Musk told the governors that AI calls for precautionary, proactive government intervention: "I think by the time we are reactive in AI regulation, it's too late," he said.

He was clearly not thrilled to make that argument, calling regulation generally "not fun" and "irksome," but he said that in the case of AI, the risks are too high to allow AI to develop unfettered.

"I think people should be really concerned about it," Musk said. "I keep sounding the alarm bell."

It's true: For years, Musk has issued Cassandra-like cautions about the risks of artificial intelligence. In 2014, he likened AI developers to people summoning demons they think they can control. In 2015, he signed a letter warning of the risk of an AI arms race.

Musk has invested in a project designed to make AI tech open-source, which he asserts will prevent it from being controlled by one company. And earlier this year, Maureen Dowd wrote a lengthy piece for Vanity Fair about Musk's "crusade to stop the A.I. apocalypse." Dowd noted that some Silicon Valley leaders — including Google co-founder Larry Page — do not share Musk's skepticism, and describe AI as a possible force for good.

Critics "argue that Musk is interested less in saving the world than in buffing his brand," Dowd writes, and that his speeches on the threat of AI are part of a larger sales strategy.

Back at the governors conference, some politicians expressed skepticism about the wisdom of regulating a technology that's still in development. Musk said the first step would be for the government to gain "insight" into the actual status of current research.

"Once there is awareness, people will be extremely afraid," Musk said. "As they should be."
Is the real of intelligent machines justified?
Is The Fear Of Intelligent Machines Justified? March 16, 20162:09 PM ET Commentary By Marcelo Gleiser

It's in the news everywhere, with near-apocalyptic hubris: Google's DeepMind machine beat the world champion of the game Go with a score of 4-1.

Or, according to Britain's Independent newspaper: "Google's Go-playing computer has definitely beaten the best human in the world, finishing a pioneering match at 4-1." The "best human in the world," South Korean professional Go player Lee Sedol, is actually ranked No. 5 in the world. Clearly a stellar Go player — but not the world's best.

Mind you, there are several kinds of rankings for Go and they don't always agree. In fact, there is much confusion once you start looking. The one that puts Sedol as No. 5 is known as WHR algorithm. But these are details. The fact is that a machine beat a master Go player 4-1 in a much-publicized event. As AI (artificial intelligence) expert Gary Marcus wrote in a recent essay, "DeepMind made major progress, but the Go journey is still not over...The real question is whether the technology developed there can be taken out of the game world and into the real world."

In other words, can machine game-playing prowess be applied to real-world challenges?

In their Jan. 28 Nature article about DeepMind, Google scientists state in the abstract that the machine "defeated the human European Go champion by 5 games to 0...a feat previously thought to be at least a decade away." This professional Go player was Fan Hui, three-time European champion, currently ranked at No. 507 according to this ranking. Moving from Hui to Sedol is indeed very impressive.

Google's DeepMind program uses a combination of a vamped-up machine-learning algorithm known as "value networks" that evaluates board positions ("machine learning" is the new version of neural networks, programs that try to emulate simplified neuronal activity able to learn patterns and behaviors) and "policy networks" that selects moves. Oversimplifying, one piece of the program analyses possible moves while the other chooses the optimal move for a given situation based on a statistical analysis of the best possibilities. The closing lines in the Nature article are important: "AlphaGo has finally reached a professional level in Go, providing hope that human-level performance can now be achieved in other seemingly intractable artificial intelligence domains."

To be useful in the real word, where rules are often not rigid and surprise events and behaviors continually throw wrenches into efforts to rationalize behavior — be it human, political or economic — intelligent programs need a sort of plasticity and adaptability not easily transferrable from a more focused game-playing platform. Although Google's DeepMind success moves progress in AI to a whole new level, the jump from game-playing to intelligence that mirrors anything closer to human intelligence functioning in a complex world is still a very huge one. To many, that's a very good thing.

Oxford University philosopher Nick Bostrom has been cautioning us about the dangers of a super-intelligence out in the world. And billionaire Elon Musk, physicists Stephen Hawking and Martin Rees, Bostrom himself — and more interestingly, Demis Hassabis, Shane Legg, and Mustafa Suleyman, all co-founders of DeepMind — have signed an open letter where they "recommend expanded research aimed at ensuring that increasingly capable AI systems are robust and beneficial: our AI systems must do what we want them to do."

It remains to be seen if Musk's idea of empowering as many people as possible to have access to AI will work as a sort of deterrence policy against AI domination (somewhat like the nuclear deterrence policy against global destruction) — or if, given that intelligent machines could, in principle at least, network to become a more unified autonomous entity, the nightmare is inescapable. AI is no nuclear bomb. Fortunately, even with the amazing steps of DeepMind in the game of Go, we can still sleep in peace for the foreseeable future while we find safeguards that will protect us from our own inventions.

Marcelo Gleiser is a theoretical physicist and cosmologist — and professor of natural philosophy, physics and astronomy at Dartmouth College. He is the co-founder of 13.7, a prolific author of papers and essays, and active promoter of science to the general public. His latest book is The Island of Knowledge: The Limits of Science and the Search for Meaning. You can keep up with Marcelo on Facebook and Twitter: @mgleiser.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 am

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 am

Mostly not here anymore.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

The only good robot, is a dead robot!

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:49 am

Good luck regulating AI.

Federal regulations were soooo effective at curing: email spam, robocalls, identity theft, software viruses and trojans, hacked accounts, etc.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 am

Mostly not here anymore.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:45 pm

This picture of the security robot reminds me of a Dr Who episode with daleks.

He frequently escaped them by climbing stairs or a ladder.

Then one episode he taunted them by saying: "If you're supposed to be the superior race of the universe, why don't you try climbing after us?"

And they did.

What can I say other than:

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 am

Mostly not here anymore.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am