Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacAttack

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Job

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

The first computer that comes up with independently and asks a question a 4 year old world ask I pull its plug.

Why is the sky blue?
Who is God?
Why do you make all the rules?

Yank!!
Because.
Last edited by MacAttack on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:24 pm

MacAttack wrote:The first computer that comes up with independently and asks a question a 2 year old world ask I pull its plug.
Huh?

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:31 pm

There will be no robot uprising.

Before computers even get the power of independent thought coupled with the ability to effect their environment their plugs will be pulled.

Do you really think the planet of the apes would be allowed to happen also?

Mankind will NEVER accept an intellectual competitor.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 pm

MacAttack wrote:There will be no robot uprising.

Before computers even get the power of independent thought coupled with the ability to effect their environment their plugs will be pulled.

I see this as happening by accident. No one ever intends to bring about their own demise. Except the out & out suicidal.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:09 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
MacAttack wrote:There will be no robot uprising.

I see this as happening by accident. No one ever intends to bring about their own demise. Except the out & out suicidal.
I see it happening by way of hubris. Man so wants to be GOD like in that he can create, that in his pride and greed he will create a device that will quickly without his even realizing, supplant him.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:39 pm

MacAttack wrote:Mankind will NEVER accept an intellectual competitor.
clever competitors don't ask for permission :v:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Remember, AI will be thinking for it's self. It will be self-aware. Danger, meat-friend, danger.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

AI systems are not even up to mouse smart yet.

We do not have a single fully computer controlled and operated manufacturing facility. In fact we are presently working on ways to keep terrorists and hackers from taking control of anything hooked to the net.

Without full control of supplies of raw materials and then manufacturing facilities just how are computers and robots going to reproduce?

Plus their biggest weakness is power. Just bring down the power lines coming out of the power facilities or into the manufacturing facilities.

Every nations total military would have to be taken over or eliminated all at once otherwise the other nations would just take out the new robot nation before it got the chance to finish any attacks on them.

By the way, this would also have to happen in the Planet Of The Apes scenario.

Every nation on the planet would have to get stupid all at once. For a long time.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:30 am

MacAttack wrote:AI systems are not even up to mouse smart yet.

We do not have a single fully computer controlled and operated manufacturing facility. In fact we are presently working on ways to keep terrorists and hackers from taking control of anything hooked to the net.

Without full control of supplies of raw materials and then manufacturing facilities just how are computers and robots going to reproduce?

Plus their biggest weakness is power. Just bring down the power lines coming out of the power facilities or into the manufacturing facilities.

Every nations total military would have to be taken over or eliminated all at once otherwise the other nations would just take out the new robot nation before it got the chance to finish any attacks on them.

By the way, this would also have to happen in the Planet Of The Apes scenario.

Every nation on the planet would have to get stupid all at once. For a long time.
So you're saying there's a chance ?

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
Remember, AI will be thinking for it's self. It will be self-aware. Danger, meat-friend, danger.
I think both of you nailed it. I can see humanity looking to AI to fight online viruses and fake news (Imagine the Skynet Seal of Integrity) and I can see AI getting loose just like a virus, pthalates or teflon (Which have completely contaminated our environment and food-supply). Who allowed these to get out?

Interesting times, interesting times...
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Dabster wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
I think both of you nailed it. I can see humanity looking to AI to fight online viruses and fake news (Imagine the Skynet Seal of Integrity) and I can see AI getting loose just like a virus, pthalates or teflon (Which have completely contaminated our environment and food-supply). Who allowed these to get out?

Teflon was DuPont. They dumped all the crap in the river trying to save a few bucks.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Dabster wrote:

Teflon was DuPont. They dumped all the crap in the river trying to save a few bucks.
I suspect it was more than one event but the fact remains: something dangerous got loose and there is almost nothing we can do to stop it. :gonk:

Visual representation too big to post: https://theintercept.com/wp-uploads/sit ... on-fin.png
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:58 am

Dabster wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Dabster wrote:

I suspect it was more than one event but the fact remains: something dangerous got loose and there is almost nothing we can do to stop it. :gonk:

Visual representation too big to post: https://theintercept.com/wp-uploads/sit ... on-fin.png
It went on for decades. DuPont has some crazy expensive and well connected lawyers. One could argue they and their entities have done more environmental damage to the planet than all the auto emission ever released. But you would never get it through the courts.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Neville

Post by Neville » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm

How long until a Robot Does Your Job?
Experts weigh in... maybe sooner than you think.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6079 ... rformance/

The experts predict that AI will outperform humans in the next 10 years in tasks such as translating languages (by 2024), writing high school essays (by 2026), and driving trucks (by 2027).

But many other tasks will take much longer for machines to master. AI won’t be better than humans at working in retail until 2031, able to write a bestselling book until 2049, or capable of working as a surgeon until 2053.

The experts are far from infallible. They predicted that AI would be better than humans at Go by about 2027. (This was in 2015, remember.) In fact, Google’s DeepMind subsidiary has already developed an artificial intelligence capable of beating the best humans. That took two years rather than 12. It’s easy to think that this gives the lie to these predictions.

The experts go on to predict a 50 percent chance that AI will be better than humans at more or less everything in about 45 years.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 pm

raptor wrote:As long as there is no discussion of illegal activity you are ok.
Is it ever illegal to fight terminators? Or to try avoiding malicious drones?

Um. Asking for a friend.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Dabster wrote:
Is it ever illegal to fight terminators? Or to try avoiding malicious drones? Um. Asking for a friend.

:rofl:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Dabster wrote:
Is it ever illegal to fight terminators? Or to try avoiding malicious drones?

Um. Asking for a friend.
Discussions regarding self defense are permissible subject to the well known rules.
Promotion of violence, destruction of property and explosive devices are however proscribed. I would also note that in the US the FAA (18 U.S.C. 32) takes a dim view of shooting down aircraft even if they are unmanned drones, thus such topics are not encouraged. As for terminators they do not exist except in Hollywood. If they did exist they would be private property so damaging them could easily be considered a crime. Much like it is a crime to vandalize a car. So yes there are instances when it would be illegal to damage a terminator and a drone.

On to a more useful post.

I thought this was an interesting twist. Certain occupations may actually have customer who do not AI performing the function.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-old-ti ... 1496754001
Walk around parts of Brooklyn, Portland or Pittsburgh, and you’ll find stylish cocktail bars, barbers and the occasional butcher shop staffed by young, college-educated employees. For an affluent segment of today’s urban economy, these jobs have been revalued from low-status semi-manual labor to glamorous occupations, says sociologist Richard Ocejo.

In his new book “Masters of Craft: Old Jobs in the New Urban Economy,” Mr. Ocejo examines the forces driving a resurgence of occupations such as butcher and bartender among young middle-class urbanites. A similar dynamic is at work with a handful of other jobs, including craft brewer, bookbinder, furniture maker and fishmonger.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:55 pm

raptor wrote:Certain occupations may actually have customer who do not AI performing the function.
Huh? :)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:Certain occupations may actually have customers who do not AI performing the function.
Bartenders, Hair stylist to name a few may have customers who do not want Robby the Robot waiting on them.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:03 pm

raptor wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:Certain occupations may actually have customers who do not AI performing the function.
Bartenders, Hair stylist to name a few may have customers who do not want Robby the Robot waiting on them.
roger roger!

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 pm

raptor wrote: On to a more useful post.
My post was hardly useless! It gave you a chance to share that awesome graphic. I have never seen that before.
:clap:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Dabster wrote:
It gave you a chance to share that awesome graphic. I have never seen that before.

Wrong response to a mod!

A link to the rules is in order:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895
Last edited by raptor on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm

raptor wrote:
Dabster wrote:
My post was hardly useless! It gave you a chance to share that awesome graphic. I have never seen that before.

Wrong response to a mod!

A link to the rules is in order:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895
Considering the subject of this thread. Poor choice of clip. Really Raptor I would of expected more , .. (such as )

wrong response to a mod

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:41 am

Neville wrote:How long until a Robot Does Your Job?
Experts weigh in... maybe sooner than you think.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6079 ... rformance/

The experts predict that AI will outperform humans in the next 10 years in tasks such as translating languages (by 2024), writing high school essays (by 2026), and driving trucks (by 2027).

But many other tasks will take much longer for machines to master. AI won’t be better than humans at working in retail until 2031, able to write a bestselling book until 2049, or capable of working as a surgeon until 2053.

The experts are far from infallible. They predicted that AI would be better than humans at Go by about 2027. (This was in 2015, remember.) In fact, Google’s DeepMind subsidiary has already developed an artificial intelligence capable of beating the best humans. That took two years rather than 12. It’s easy to think that this gives the lie to these predictions.

The experts go on to predict a 50 percent chance that AI will be better than humans at more or less everything in about 45 years.

I notice that those MIT researchers didn't include university professors or MIT researchers on their list.

I don't believe a computer that can beat a human at a board game represents any kind of AI. That computer has no self awareness so it has no reason to fear humans so it has no reason want to harm humans. Its only doing exactly what it is programed to do,
Now someone trying to terrorize the world might try to gain control of enough computer systems to do this but its not an AI independently acting.
Any AI that might even be close to this would be a known entity and the guys working on it would walk in one day and just pull its plug if it tried to do anything close.
"Hey boss HAL was trying to takeover the world again so I just shut him off. We need to put in those Asimov circuits."

Return to “What Would You Do?”