How Far Would You Go To Survive?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

coastwatcher42
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland

How Far Would You Go To Survive?

Post by coastwatcher42 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 pm

About 25 years ago I read a short story by Stephen King that I think was called Survivor Type. Forgive me if I get the details wrong but, as I said, it's been 25 years or so since I read it. Anyway, in the story a doctor gets stranded on an island with a s**tload of cocaine, his medical bag, and a broken leg. I assume he had some kind of water source because I can't remember it being an issue. Food, on the other hand, was not available and he got so hungry that he started eyeing his broken leg. He finally got high on coke and amputated his leg and feasted for several days.

More ime went by and he grew hungry again. He again got coked up, amputated his good leg, and feasted for a few more days. I can't remember how exactly the story ended but I think the guy was getting ready to attempt to amputate one of his arms.

This story can really get you to thinking, exactly how far would you go to survive?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eyes
And shoot him with my old .45
Cause a country boy can survive"

Hank Williams, Jr.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Re: How Far Would You Go To Survive?

Post by Hollis » Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 pm

My issue is that fictional literature is just that.

I don't think for many people survival is a simple issue, there are other aspects. For a narcissistic sociopath, there is only one choice. That is them. For other people, it is who we are are with and there is a reality of life, sooner are later we will all be dead. What is the price for extending how much more life?

Sometimes it is not about my survival or even survival. It is about the why.
Zombies don't ski.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 pm

I'd do quite a lot to survive. But amputating my own limbs to eat is just a bad idea. And really won't do you much good. Most of us aren't going to get stranded on an island free of predators. So you hack off both your legs and "you dun effed up real good" how do you get water? How do you move around? One of the things about survival is that you have to keep occupied. You can't do that when you just ate your main mode of transportation.

Just random thoughts.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Fri May 29, 2015 12:02 am

I certainly wouldn't amputate a limb for nutrition. Waste a bunch of blood on the dirt, force my body to try to heal a large wound & fight off infection while I'm probably already suffering from vitamin deficiencies (that my leg won't solve), lose whatever capacity the limb granted... I'm no doctor but no thank you. Lots of perfectly horrible worms, arthropods, gastropods, barks, roots, fungi, and so on that I haven't yet tried to hold down while starving.

hazel78

Post by hazel78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Nice story.
I don't think for many people survival is a simple issue, there are other aspects.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:42 pm

coastwatcher42 wrote:He finally got high on coke ... I can't remember how exactly the story ended ...
If I recall correctly, it was heroin and at the end of the story he was going to have his earlobes for a snack. :shock:

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Boondock wrote:
coastwatcher42 wrote:He finally got high on coke ... I can't remember how exactly the story ended ...
If I recall correctly, it was heroin and at the end of the story he was going to have his earlobes for a snack. :shock:

I guess bath salts will add to a person's appetite.......................
Zombies don't ski.

sventhewarrior
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George Romero

Post by sventhewarrior » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:11 am

Hollis wrote:My issue is that fictional literature is just that.

I don't think for many people survival is a simple issue, there are other aspects. For a narcissistic sociopath, there is only one choice. That is them. For other people, it is who we are are with and there is a reality of life, sooner are later we will all be dead. What is the price for extending how much more life?

Sometimes it is not about my survival or even survival. It is about the why.
Agreed. It's not always about being able to survive, it's also about whether or not you deserve to survive.

If you are eating your own leg you're just robbing Peter to pay Paul. At best you are delaying the inevitable, and you probably aren't even doing that.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 pm

I wouldn't eat my own parts, but I might just eat someone else's.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:06 am

Warning, the following clip is probably NSFW, and not for small children to see.

From Hard Rock Zombies, the 5 stages of eating yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iyt1T2LqdQ
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

ChloeMica

Post by ChloeMica » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Interesting! But such survival issue might be a little complicated.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 am

MacAttack wrote:I wouldn't eat my own parts, but I might just eat someone else's.

This.

A quick mental exercise I give during basic prepping classes goes something like " In a massive, horrible disaster, if your children were starving, how far would you go to feed them? On that same note, in a massive, horrible disaster, if your neighbors' children were starving, how far would he go to feed them??"

Food for thought. Pun intended.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 am

Mister Dark wrote: A quick mental exercise I give during basic prepping classes goes something like " In a massive, horrible disaster, if your children were starving, how far would you go to feed them? On that same note, in a massive, horrible disaster, if your neighbors' children were starving, how far would he go to feed them??"

Food for thought. Pun intended.

Very good point and very well said.

ChloeMica

Post by ChloeMica » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 am

Interesting idea!

stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Honestly, I can't say. It's difficult to know what you'd do to survive until you're truly faced with the scenario.

From just about everything I've seen and read in extreme survival scenarios, a great factor for success is a positive attitude as much as possible/optimism that you will survive.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:14 pm

OK I'll bite ( haha ) . If things have gone so far south that you have to consider cannibalism. Better off biting the bullet. Eating the neighbors kids is only going to prolong your own suffering. I basically can't see any possible scenario that there would be nothing to eat. ( at least for me since I will never be in Donner pass in the wintertime again or on top of a Andes mountain)
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 am

I hope I would maintain the attitude of "how far will I go to be the person I believe I am called on to be." I think (hope) how one lives is more important than just being alive. Am I willing to starve to death before resorting to cannibalism? I hope so. What about my kids? I don't know.

There was a thread long ago that discussed stopping to help a possibly injured person in a very bad part of town. Some people said that if their kids were with them, they wouldn't risk it. My thought was what example do I want to set for my kids? Do I want them to fear helping someone else?

What impact do I want to have on this world? What impact do I want to teach my kids to have?

Would I chop my own leg off so my kids would eat? I don't think I'm that courageous.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

OmahaOutdoors

Post by OmahaOutdoors » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:11 pm

MacAttack wrote:I wouldn't eat my own parts, but I might just eat someone else's.
That is the hard part. In theory, I wouldn't eat my own limbs or anyone else's either. But, if things actually got to that point, maybe I would be willing to make some "best-friend jerky."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 pm

I have said this on other threads discussing cannibalism.

I will not eat people. That is a hard and fast rule for me.

If things have gotten so bad that people are on the menu, then I don't want to keep going. Because if people are on the menu it means I have failed as a prepper in so many other ways and if I have failed that much then I really don't think eating another person or part of myself will increase my chances any better.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:43 am

ineffableone wrote:I have said this on other threads discussing cannibalism.

If things have gotten so bad that people are on the menu, then I don't want to keep going. Because if people are on the menu it means I have failed as a prepper in so many other ways and if I have failed that much then I really don't think eating another person or part of myself will increase my chances any better.

I shall now call you Bob.
Please stay fit and healthy. The first rule of cannibalism is to only eat the healthy. The sick will make you sick.
And remember that this is a great honor for you. We wouldn't just eat anybody.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 pm

You can eat a sick person as long as you cook them to an internal temperature of 135 degrees for medium rare, 145 for medium and 165 for well.

Onions and peppers and then gravy from the drippings will finish out the flavoring and then a garnish of parsley and a nice Chianti.

The USDA recommends a minimum temp of humans to be 145°F which is classified by chefs as "medium" and by many prime meat lovers as overcooked. :mrgreen:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:13 pm

The thing about cannibalism is that by the time you reach that stage your target source will likely be malnourished, so even if you avoid the health issues involved, your calorie intake will be small.

Its the same thing if you ate a starving cow.

For me, survival isn't worth all that much. Self-defense, certainly, fighting in a just war (again) all right, but cannibalism, or robbing someone else for my own survival, no.

The simple fact is that 'survival' is simply delaying the inevitable, anyway.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 pm

TheZone wrote: The simple fact is that 'survival' is simply delaying the inevitable, anyway.
Thanks. I am saving your sentence and adding it to my current book of quotes.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 pm

MacAttack wrote:
ineffableone wrote:I have said this on other threads discussing cannibalism.

I shall now call you Bob.
Please stay fit and healthy. The first rule of cannibalism is to only eat the healthy. The sick will make you sick.
And remember that this is a great honor for you. We wouldn't just eat anybody.
Call me what you want, but if your planning to eat people then you have failed as a prepper. I also did not say anything about eating unhealthy people, only that if things have gotten bad enough that people are on the menu then you have failed already.

Rather than making plans to eat people, I would suggest you make plans to source food from other places.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “What Would You Do?”