You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:59 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:I would travel back to 34 or 35 AD, .... extinguish the life of the future father of Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, better known to us as Nero,
[Paradox] you kill Gnaeus, his son now can't burn Rome, so Cius Romanus doesn't die in that fire but instead he grows up to be a legionnaire, who kills Peotre Johansdaughter your great X 50 grandmother, when he was campaigning in northern Europe, so you're never born, so you can't go back in time to kill Gnaeus. [/paradox]
You've just nailed the essential impossibility of the entire Terminator franchise. God, I love those movies. :crazy:

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:54 am

"This is my boom stick!!!!!"

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 am

On the other hand, slavery in ancient times wasn't at all like chattel slavery of Antebellum America. Ancient slaves often held quite a bit of power, wealth, and prestige. The relationship was more akin to an oath of fealty. So maybe I could parley my (supposedly) advanced knowledge into a cush job in a country villa somewhere.
I see this a bit and it is not quite correct.

If you were a slave in Meso Central/ South America for example you could be given as human sacrifice and eaten after being sold three times. Chattel slavery was certainly practiced on all settled continents and varied a bit by era. Wherever there are people there are always people who want other people to do shit for them for free.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 am

Stercutus wrote:
On the other hand, slavery in ancient times wasn't at all like chattel slavery of Antebellum America. Ancient slaves often held quite a bit of power, wealth, and prestige. The relationship was more akin to an oath of fealty. So maybe I could parley my (supposedly) advanced knowledge into a cush job in a country villa somewhere.

If you were a slave in Meso Central/ South America for example you could be given as human sacrifice and eaten after being sold three times. Chattel slavery was certainly practiced on all settled continents and varied a bit by era. Wherever there are people there are always people who want other people to do shit for them for free.
Yes it varied by area. But the Mesoamerican civilizations (the larger ones such as Aztec, Inca, and Maya) didn't really start to form until after 1000 AD. So with this WWYD topic of 100 AD, they didn't even exist and aren't relevant to this topic.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 am

NamelessStain wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Yes it varied by area. But the Mesoamerican civilizations (the larger ones such as Aztec, Inca, and Maya) didn't really start to form until after 1000 AD. So with this WWYD topic of 100 AD, they didn't even exist and aren't relevant to this topic.
The Mayans had fully collapsed by 900 AD and were mostly gone when the Spanish showed up. Their civilization goes back to at least 2500 BC and was more highly evolved in 100AD than most of Europe. Around 100 AD they had the pre-classic collapse resulting in mass desertions of many of their cities. (probably by people from this thread going back there and messing with them).
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:13 am

Stercutus wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

The Mayans had fully collapsed by 900 AD and were mostly gone when the Spanish showed up. Their civilization goes back to at least 2500 BC and was more highly evolved in 100AD than most of Europe. Around 100 AD they had the pre-classic collapse resulting in mass desertions of many of their cities. (probably by people from this thread going back there and messing with them).
I'll let you go argue with Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoameric ... y#Timeline

They say the Mayan civilization started 200AD to 1600AD.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 am

Broccoli89 wrote:You can't speak Chinese/Spanish/Greek/etc. unless you can now. It will be a struggle until you learn.
That will put a lot of Americans in a pickle since they can't speak any language but English, and, like JeeperCreeper said, English doesn't exist yet. Even if you bump it up a few centuries, Old English is nothing like English now. More similar to Latin and German, with no advantage in speaking modern English at all for learning Old English.

I know a little Spanish, German, and Latin, so I guess I would settle in western Europe. I would focus my attention on learning the local language, and then proceed to become a regionally renown storyteller, regaling them with tales such as

* A ring that could make the bearer invisible, and how a band of mystical champions defeated an evil known as Sauron and his minions.
* An empire where warriors known as knights endowed with magical powers called the Force are engaged in an epic battle between good and evil using swords of light.
* Horrific stories of the dead coming back to life, and of demons with supernatural powers that suck the blood out of the living, but that cannot exist in sunlight.
* Comical tails of warriors who sought a Holy Grail and how they encountered the knights who say ni and icky icky icky, as well as the killer rabbit.

Establishing my fame as a storyteller would gain me audiences with lords and rulers, whereupon I would select one to align myself with and demonstrate my knowledgeable 21st century basic healing skills, and eventually reveal myself as an alchemist and teach them the art of gunpowder, thus forever changing the course of history.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Drop Dead Zed wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:I would travel back to 34 or 35 AD, materializing in the outskirts of Rome. I EDC a small folding knife. Nothing fancy; a Tool Logic SLPro with a small blade and a detachable miniature LED flashlight. It has solid scales that completely mask the blade within. A hinged knife was of course unknown at the time and no one from that era would perceive it as a weapon, especially as I would use the belt clip as a neck clasp to gather the folds of a robe I would steal from a pauper...
Really?

Circa 200 AD.

Circa 50 AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTy1jvaWc4

Really, I think leatherman still makes that first one.

Since EDC either a Glock or a Snub nose 38, I would have some protection for a few days until I manage to convince the locals that my vast knowledge of science and past/soon to be present to them events made me valuable to have around. I would attempt to get a position as advisor to the king. You don't want to make yourself king because there is usually someone trying to kill him. I wouldn't want to stop any assignation attempts that I knew from history were successful however since any change history could cause changes to the past that might render me non-existent such as the "Butterfly effect".
In 1961, Lorenz was using a numerical computer model to rerun a weather prediction, when, as a shortcut on a number in the sequence, he entered the decimal 0.506 instead of entering the full 0.506127. The result was a completely different weather scenario.[3] In 1963 Lorenz published a theoretical study of this effect in a well-known paper called Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.[4] (As noted in the paper, the calculations were performed on a Royal McBee LGP-30 computing machine.[5][6]) Elsewhere he said that "One meteorologist remarked that if the theory were correct, one flap of a sea gull's wings would be enough to alter the course of the weather forever. The controversy has not yet been settled, but the most recent evidence seems to favor the sea gulls."[6] Following suggestions from colleagues, in later speeches and papers Lorenz used the more poetic butterfly.

`

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:

I was referring specifically to Roman slavery, as that is when/where the poster I quoted was interested in visiting.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:34 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
I'll let you go argue with Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoameric ... y#Timeline

They say the Mayan civilization started 200AD to 1600AD.
Actually it says this:
The Maya is a Mesoamerican civilization, noted for Maya script, the only known fully developed writing system of the pre-Columbian Americas, as well as for its art, architecture, and mathematical and astronomical systems. Initially established during the Pre-Classic period (c. 2000 BC to AD 250), according to the Mesoamerican chronology, many Maya cities reached their highest state of development during the Classic period (c. AD 250 to 900), and continued throughout the Post-Classic period until the arrival of the Spanish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Drop Dead Zed wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I was referring specifically to Roman slavery, as that is when/where the poster I quoted was interested in visiting.
My bad "ancient times" is kind of open ended.
Slaves were considered property under Roman law and had no legal personhood. Unlike Roman citizens, they could be subjected to corporal punishment, sexual exploitation (prostitutes were often slaves), torture, and summary execution. The testimony of a slave could not be accepted in a court of law unless the slave was tortured—a practice based on the belief that slaves in a position to be privy to their masters' affairs would be too virtuously loyal to reveal damaging evidence unless coerced.
After 100AD things got a little better:
.....under Antoninus Pius, (138 AD) a master who killed a slave without just cause could be tried for homicide. Legal protection of slaves continued to grow as the empire expanded. It became common throughout the mid to late 2nd century CE to allow slaves to complain of cruel or unfair treatment by their owners.
Of course by that time over 1/4 of the population of the empire were slaves.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Drop Dead Zed wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

My bad "ancient times" is kind of open ended.
Slaves were considered property under Roman law and had no legal personhood. Unlike Roman citizens, they could be subjected to corporal punishment, sexual exploitation (prostitutes were often slaves), torture, and summary execution. The testimony of a slave could not be accepted in a court of law unless the slave was tortured—a practice based on the belief that slaves in a position to be privy to their masters' affairs would be too virtuously loyal to reveal damaging evidence unless coerced.
After 100AD things got a little better:
.....under Antoninus Pius, (138 AD) a master who killed a slave without just cause could be tried for homicide. Legal protection of slaves continued to grow as the empire expanded. It became common throughout the mid to late 2nd century CE to allow slaves to complain of cruel or unfair treatment by their owners.
Of course by that time over 1/4 of the population of the empire were slaves.
Edit: Pointlessly cranky. Deleted.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Broccoli89 wrote:If you were sent, without warning, back in time around 100 A.D. what would you do?

What is your immediate survival plan?
Don't be killed for superstitions, pests or diseases.
Starting from don't carry any EDC (EveryDayCarry) of my time or at least burn my documents and change clothes as soon as possible.
Broccoli89 wrote:What is your long term goals?
Find a patron to have a place in the society without being too low.
Learn the language, the ways and the customs.
Increase my social status.
Make a family.
Broccoli89 wrote:How do you improve the world around you?
After achieving my long term goals I would like improve my family with some concepts.
Since I doubt I could get recognition in historical periods where superstition reigned supreme.
As it would be more likely to get the opposite effect, a lethal one, for me and my family.
Broccoli89 wrote:+ You can pick an exact year around that time. Let us know why that date.
Rome 100 A.D.
Broccoli89 wrote:Explain how you would accomplish something.
The only valuable skill that I think I can use is my knowledge of Roman numerals and writing.
I just need a certain practice according to the system existing at time.
I can copy documents.
And when I learn the language I can write conversations.

Note:
However, if you could instead choose any period of history would rather for the Renaissance.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Zimmy wrote:I'd probably be killed by the proto-Apache and proto-Comanche.

If not, I would dazzle them with my Iphone long enough to earn reproductive rights in the village. I would name this village.....Texas!
I spit coffee through my nose...thanks...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 am

If I showed up at my current location around 100AD I'd be amongst the Pictish Tribe of the Robogdii (according to Ptolemy) I'm not exactly wearing similar clothing nor do I speak the lingo but I'm only 4'10" and have typically pale Celtic colouring so I'm sure I wouldn't look that dissimilar :lol:
My survival plan would be to quickly try to assimilate and use my knowledge of farming to become useful to the tribe.
If I couldn't go back then I guess I'd attempt to forge friendships with those whose company I've found myself and work to provide food and shelter.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm

No one else is going to try China. The Eastern Han in China from around 22AD to 250AD is considered to be part of the height of one of the golden ages of Chinese history.

Metal working
Ceramics
Astronomy
Medical advances in surgery
International trade on the "Silk Road"
Advance paper making
A standardize written language

I'd start working on furthering my basic knowledge of Chinese characters. Maybe try to pass myself off as a pale Buddhist monk from Central/Southern Asia who's taken a vow of silence and hook up with some of the new Buddhist groups that are making their way into China at this time.

It probably won't go well, but I've got to use this East Asian Studies degree somehow.
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 pm

I would choose what is now Northern England and Southern Scotland, beyond the reach of Rome (A foreigner showing up in Rome at that time stands a good chance of running afoul of the law and being sold into slavery). I chose this place because while the native tribes here were superstitious, they had magical beliefs and didn't immediately scream "BURN THE WITCH!!" when they saw something they didn't understand.
What is your immediate survival plan?
The first thing I'd do would be to find water and shelter while I get my bearings about me. Depending on how and where exactly I arrived, I might not even know I'm not in Kansas anymore, Toto. I'd try to stay out of sight and try to learn as much as I could once I figured it out, but if discovered I would not run.
What is your long term goals?
My long term goals would be to try to find out how I got there and see if there was a way back. If there's no chance of that happening, I'd try to settle in and build a life and trying to "invent" the things I can learn to make with the tech of the period.
How do you improve the world around you?
First, I'd introduce the navigational compass. I wouldn't even have to find lodestone, since my keychain has several iron magnets I could use to make them. I'd then introduce black powder, as the locals should be able to point to deposits of sulfur and batcaves. I even known the basics of extracting saltpeter from bat guano.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

bcvojak

Post by bcvojak » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Apathy wrote: You could build Easter island statues to confuse anthropologists. Maybe make some Odin like shrines to really screw with them! Bury them right where the highway system tunnels through the mountains, so only the mainlanders find it.
I love it!!

carve equations like e=m*c*c on antiquities that will be found in the 1800s

Drawings of the space shuttle on cave walls, predicting the Challenger disaster.

Draw cave pictures of politicians you hate with horns coming out of their head and the numbers 666 next to them.

Would drive anthropologists crazy for centuries.
BCVojak
Pacific NW

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:56 pm

I would seriously doubt that the immune system of a present day human would be able to deal with bacteria & virus of nearly 2000 years ago.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:51 am

White Bear wrote:No one else is going to try China. The Eastern Han in China from around 22AD to 250AD is considered to be part of the height of one of the golden ages of Chinese history.

Metal working
Ceramics
Astronomy
Medical advances in surgery
International trade on the "Silk Road"
Advance paper making
A standardize written language

I'd start working on furthering my basic knowledge of Chinese characters. Maybe try to pass myself off as a pale Buddhist monk from Central/Southern Asia who's taken a vow of silence and hook up with some of the new Buddhist groups that are making their way into China at this time.

It probably won't go well, but I've got to use this East Asian Studies degree somehow.
Oh, someone will. Most likely by someone who is Han.

As I do speak Cantonese and some Mandarin, I'd apply to the court and convince the emperor to start the tribute campaign to subjugate the Mongols and the Koreas. A little demo with nitrocotton and Stainless steel, with some lost wax castings should help.
The next step is to begin the exploration and conquest of the Americas 1300 years early. A more conciliatory diplomatic approach may achieve better results than what the Spanish got.

Hopefully this should prevent the fall of the Han, but a substitute for the Mongol invasions of Europe would have to be made. Perhaps they could be directed further south into the ME.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:48 am

fred.greek wrote:I would seriously doubt that the immune system of a present day human would be able to deal with bacteria & virus of nearly 2000 years ago.

But my vaccines are up to date... I'm even cleared to go to Disney Land!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:40 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
fred.greek wrote:I would seriously doubt that the immune system of a present day human would be able to deal with bacteria & virus of nearly 2000 years ago.

How many posters in this thread are old enough to have had the smallpox vaccine?

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:35 am

Towanda wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

How many posters in this thread are old enough to have had the smallpox vaccine?

Sent via carrier wave.
I remember going to the Worlds Fair in Queens in 1964. I still take nieces and nephews to the Science and the NYC Museum from time to time.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Me.

But thanks to his mother not my son. I should correct that.

Return to “What Would You Do?”