Dog In My Neighborhood

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Dog In My Neighborhood

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Even as a moderator, I am not sure where to post this. If my fellow mods would feel free to move this, please do.

For medical and health reasons that hit me in the early spring, my doctor informed me to get some moderate exercise thirty minutes a day, five days a week, in the form of walking. So far, I do this seven days a week, sometimes twice a day if the summer temps are cooler. It has helped and it is nice getting out of the house for a while each day. Another unexpected benefit was getting to know some of the newer neighbors I have not had the chance to meet in recent years. They seems to be pretty decent, average folks and many wave to me with friendly smiles when they see me walk along my travels.

Except for one. Let me elaborate.

I will try to make this as brief as I can. Many of you know of my long winded narratives in some other posts. My walking route was just short of a mile around my block. To extend my distance a bit more, I found that be traveling up one of the side streets to the main road put my route just over a miles and a tenth. This worked out quite well for about three weeks until a couple weeks ago.

As I was traveling on my route about ten days ago, I started to make my way along my latest extension. Before I could even stop walking, a large, black and white female boxer came at a full charge at me, around from behind the last house on the right, out of the corner of my eye. The dog's loud barks caught my attention and caused me to come to a dead stop, since the dog decided to block my path. It kept barking and snapping it's teeth, plus started to crouch as if to spring at me. I brought up my walking sticking into a defensive two hand stance (more on my walking stick and other walking gear later) and made a quick stomp with my left foot at the dog, who tried to spring at me this time. I held my ground, stomped again and pushed at the dog a second time. It barked at me one last time and backed away. I waved my stick into the air and waved it in the air with one hand, which caused the dog to run back to the back of the house where it came. I looked and saw that no one was home so decided to alter my route away from the dog just in case it decided to return.

I did nothing to harm the dog nor did I make any move to strike the animal, although I was prepared to if it tried to make a bite attack at me. I am unable to make loud voice warnings or sounds due to the aforementioned medical conditions, so my movements and stomping at the dog seemed to work. Neither myself or the dog were harmed. I did not forget about the dog and kept a close eye out for it in case it decided to try it again. For a while, I carried a heavier walking stick and a Fox 40 whistle, even using one of my two way radios to let someone know at home if something happened. Of course, my cell was attached to my belt as always. For two weeks, I did not see even a single glimpse of the dog. I had walked past that house for over two weeks without a problem.

That was until last Sunday (7-20). I started, once again, to head past the house to make my way to my turn around point. I had just started using my GPS to keep track of the time and distance I was walking and was hoping to mark my turn around point and head back along my route. About twenty yards away from my approach to the house, the dog once again charged from around the back of the house at full speed, barking and showing no slowing down. I was able to dodge the dog's charger and was nearly knocked of my feet while trying to turn myself in order to see where the dog had gone past. I heard the owner scream out the dog's name at least three times before it retreated back into it's owner's yard. It looked like the owner put the dog inside the house and returned, sat down on his front porch with his wife. Both looked straight at me with saying a word.

I walked down the street a little bit to calm myself down and catch my balance, thanks to my walking stick. After catching my breath and quelling my anger, I walked up the owner's driveway ,slowly and calmly and announced myself with a friendly hello. I then told the owner, who had got up and approached me within about two arm's length away from me, in a quiet manner that I thought he would like to know that his dog has come at me twice.

Before I could speak another word, the owner pointed and told me to "get the fuck off my property!" He then screamed the dog was a "good dog" and to once again to leave his property in the same vulgar manner. I simply said "ok" and took two step back as he yelled at me to nastily leave his property or a third time in less then ten seconds. He turned and approached his porch, then told his wife (thanks goodness for having hearing aids at times) that "no one preaches to me about my dogs!" before I felt safe turning away from him. I continued on my route, which helped me calm down immensely by the time I got home.

After much consideration, I decided NOT to make a call to my local township police over the incident. Instead, since I live only less then two miles away from the station, I decided to have a talk with one of the available officers the next day. The officer was quite attentive and listened to everything I said. When she asked where this happened, I described the house vaguely, to which she replied "oh, yeah, I know the one." She said that the township ordinance states that the owners can keep the dogs unleashed within their own yard. Once away from the owner's property, the dog must be leashed. She said I could have an officer out and talk to the owner, which I almost did. I politely declined, saying I did not want any kind of retaliations from the owner, but I thought perhaps the department should know and look out for the dog on their patrols. She said she could do that and would let the officers know in their daily briefings and if this happened again, call 911 so they could have records of the call and the owner would be cited. I left thinking that it seemed that I have not been the only person to have problems with the same dog and that location.

As far as what a take on my route, I only carry a few things with me. The first is a brightly colored vest, either orange or yellow, with reflective stripes. I do have some younger neighbors, I hate to say, who tend to treat our street as a drag strip every time they leave their driveway and head out of the neighborhood. I have also noticed that there are a lot of neighbors who can spot me from a long distance. I only walk during the day but I still would be rather be safe then sorry.

The second thing is a cane or walking stick. I found it really keeps my balance and keeps stress of my back. I only think of it as it's secondary use as a self defense weapon. The one I was using the most was one made of clear Lucite with a rubber non slip tip. It's not really a tough striking device since is can break easily. It can poke, trip or deflect a blow if one is careful. I did switch to my Cold Steel unbreakable ploycarbonate African walking stick, since it is very tough and has some weight to it, although it looks rather weapon like. I recently switched over to a stout ash cane that had been given to my grandfather before he died. It is comfortable and has a rounded ball top rather then a handle. It looks like a regular cane yet it could probably put a baseball into center field, other then it is heavy to carry on my trips.

I always carry my cell phone, charged and working, no dropped calls around in this area. I did carry the Fox 40 whistle for a while but realized the neighborhood kids play with whistles and other noise makers quite a bit. I am not sure anyone would really pay attention to a whistle, even blown three times in distress between regular intervals. I have also taken a two way radio, on on me, one at home, in case there are immediate problems and as a second form of communication.

The last thing is not an item. I did change my route so I would be no closer then about 100 yards from the stated house and dog owner. It may be prudent, but it also angers me that I can't safely walk were I am legally able to go in my own neighborhood, when I wish to due to a dog and it's owner. To tell the truth, I am more worried about the owner suddenly attacking me then the dog. Dogs are dogs and are only bread or trained what they do. Humans, however, should be able to control themselves and their pets.

I can not nor carry a firearm. Two reasons: One, my CPL permit lapsed when I lost my job in the early fall and I just don't have the money to renew or take the class again. When I am able to, I will. The second, if I were able to legally carry, there area where this incident took place is a sub division. There are houses full of people, inside and out, along with children and moving vehicles. I do not want to take the chance of a stray, missed or ricochet bullet hitting another person. The third reason is the fact my local township is cracking down on people discharging firearms within the township boarders. The last thing would the legal trouble, even despite defending myself from a dog attack, can cause me if I were to use a firearm. I can't afford it and I am sure a lot of you folks reading this are in the same situation.

I guess after reading my long discourse (do forgive me!) my question is simply this:

Other then having done all the things I have already listed, is there anything I missed or could have changed? This, of course, other then violence or malicious acts that would cause me problems, rather then the owner.

I don't want to be attacked or mauled by a large dog. The police said a walking stick is perfectly fine and if the dog attacked, I had the right to defend myself. Even then, legally clear or not, I am looking at some time in a courtroom, as sad as it seems.

Even so, even though I don't have any proof, it seems this dog and it's owner seem to be a bit of a problem in our peaceful community. I am also concerned with other residents, including children, that this dog could injure.

I feel like I took the "cowards" way out of this situation for the time being, even though is was probably the wise course of action. Any other suggestions you good folks may have would be appreciated!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Stercutus

Re: Dog In My Neighborhood

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Get you a big can of bear spray and spray the crap out of the dog the next time it even comes close to you. Then spray the neighbor for good measure if he gives you any lip. (ok maybe not that part... but tempting). The dog will learn through trial and error.

You could also use wasp killer if you want to save some money. Don't know if this will be fatal to the dog you can only hope. Might want to video the encounter if you the presence of mind. It will make the court really short or never happen.

ETA- Gosh I must be getting crotchety in my old age.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Call animal control. Report issue. It's only a matter of time before that dog hurts someone, probably a kid. Yes,video tape it.
If not, bring pepper spray.
You should report this.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Call animal control. Report issue. It's only a matter of time before that dog hurts someone, probably a kid.
You should report this.
I discourage pepper spray when dealing with a large dog. Too many times I have seen the dog shrug it off. You want something nasty with lots of volume.
You go over and under
I go through

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

I have really thought hard about bear spray or pepper spray. While legal for me, the jerk of an owner seems like the type to cause trouble in one form or another. But compared to a crack to the skull with a walking stick, pepper spray is short term and non lethal.I just hope it works fast or I don't spray myself with it.

Wasp killer, bad mojo. I know a guy whose ex (now) wife was poisoning him with it. Using other then bugs is jail time.

We shall not sleep..."

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Call animal control. Report issue. It's only a matter of time before that dog hurts someone, probably a kid. Yes,video tape it.
You should report this.
Both are valid. Bear spray is supposed to stop grizzlies, for shit's shake, so a dog would find the experience beyond unpleasant. I am just worried about the stuff getting into a neighbor's house or a kid getting the back blast.

And yes, I think there might be a call to County Animal Control. The local cops are pretty up on things in our little township and as much as I don't like it sometimes, their "iron fist" zero tolerance ordinance enforcement may just work in my favor.

I just don't want some little kid riding their bike get mauled by this idot's dog.

We shall not sleep..."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
And yes, I think there might be a call to County Animal Control. The local cops are pretty up on things in our little township and as much as I don't like it sometimes, their "iron fist" zero tolerance ordinance enforcement may just work in my favor.

I just don't want some little kid riding their bike get mauled by this idot's dog.
That's the thing for me, you can defend yourself everyday, every time from this dog and the owner.

Suzi pigtails riding her pink flowered Barbie tassel bike might not fair as well. I love animals as much as anyone but that dog sounds like it's out of control.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 pm

I think the dog is being territorial and why it wants to block where I was trying to go. A dog like that is a big problem. A friend of mine had to put one down for the same reason and bit someone badly. Cost him lots of $ and a few years of heartache in many ways. It looks like they have small children in that house, although I had only seen one small boy. Maybe the dog is protective of the kid? Not sure. I sure hope no door-to-door solicitor gets hurt when that dog is loose.

I would feel terrible hitting someone's dog, cat, llama, any pet with a cane or stick. Shooting one would also be something I would feel horrible about. We never owned dogs, just not "dog" people. We have owned several cats over my lifetime and I know how I would feel is some one had hurt one of them.

We shall not sleep..."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote: I feel like I took the "cowards" way out of this situation for the time being, even though is was probably the wise course of action. Any other suggestions you good folks may have would be appreciated!
You are absolutely NOT taking the "coward's way" out. The actions you took are reasonable and prudent. Why risk getting hurt.

I am very much a fan of animals and would never encourage anyone to hurt another's pet unless there was a life at stake. That said an adult boxer is quite capable physically of inflecting serious injury and the risk there in should not be underestimated. I would likewise say that if it attacks, you should inflict as much damage on the dog as quickly as possible and feel not a single bit of guilt if that happens.

I would suggest one piece of kit for your walk. A video camera/camera phone. Be prepared and video your walks past the house. Should the animal repeat its actions, withdraw as you did and bring the video to the police and file a formal complaint.

This animal is obviously either not trained well or is in fact trained to attack. In an area with kids this is an unreasonable risk to the area.

I have used pepper/CS mix spray on dogs with good effect but they were threatening (couched, growling and barking) and not charging. I prefer the fogger type nozzle but it is not good in a breeze. But the broad pattern is effective.
http://www.pepperspraysetc.com/mace-tri ... ogger.html

BTW after I sprayed the two of them, all they wanted to do was to rub their faces in the grass. When I walked past the next day they saw me and ran into the back yard. The dog will learn if given the proper lesson plan.

I think you are right to be more concerned about the owner. In his own words he told you he is not open to any compromise, discussion or even a parley. I feel sorry for the dog...(and you for having deal with the owner).

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
Both are valid. Bear spray is supposed to stop grizzlies, for shit's shake, so a dog would find the experience beyond unpleasant. I am just worried about the stuff getting into a neighbor's house or a kid getting the back blast.
Be careful with the bear mace. We have these little cans of Halt! Dog Repellent at work. Its effective, but doesn't have much range. I looked at getting a can of bear mace to keep with me in the company vehicle, since they had about three times the range of the Halt! dog spray. But the couple of brands of bear mace that I looked at had warning labels that explicitly said not to use them on humans or pets. IIRC, the bear stuff had 5x to 6x the capsaicn(?) as the dog spray.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:30 pm

RickOShea wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:
Be careful with the bear mace. We have these little cans of Halt! Dog Repellent at work. Its effective, but doesn't have much range. I looked at getting a can of bear mace to keep with me in the company vehicle, since they had about three times the range of the Halt! dog spray. But the couple of brands of bear mace that I looked at had warning labels that explicitly said not to use them on humans or pets. IIRC, the bear stuff had 5x to 6x the capsaicn(?) as the dog spray.
The reason you should not use it on a pet is because the pet will go back to the owner and get it on the owner. If the dog was running off the leash and attacking me this would not concern me. You seem concerned about it though so this might not work for you.
You go over and under
I go through

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 pm

raptor wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote: I feel like I took the "cowards" way out of this situation for the time being, even though is was probably the wise course of action. Any other suggestions you good folks may have would be appreciated!

I would suggest one piece of kit for your walk. A video camera/camera phone. Be prepared and video your walks past the house. Should the animal repeat its actions, withdraw as you did and bring the video to the police and file a formal complaint.

This animal is obviously either not trained well or is in fact trained to attack. In an area with kids this is an unreasonable risk to the area.

My phone has a terrible camera but it works. My camera, though, does have a great video setting for things like this. Great idea and one I was thinking of if I ever decide to walk back through that area.

Thanks much, Raptor. I know my actions were the smart, prudent and wise way to handle things, but I still feel like I ran away from a fight and the bad guy won. I do know, however, I can take pride in saying that I didn't hurt the dog and kept myself out of some serious trouble, physically and legally. The police are aware of the situation and can move if the dog tries to go after someone else. If a kid gets hurt, however, by that dog, I am not sure how I will feel about it.

We shall not sleep..."

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

RickOShea wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:
Good to know this. Like I said, I really don't want to hurt anyone's pet, even a charging dog and this stuff looks like it could cause permanent damage.

I knew a guy who was a retired mail carrier when I sold guns and hunting equipment. He said that they had spray dog repellents but could get into trouble. I am not sure to believe this or not, but he said the little travel size cans of Right Guard antiperspirant was about the worst thing to spray into a dog's nose. He said if they had gotten a complaint about some spraying their dog with dog repellent, instant plausible deniability, since they had only arm pit spray in their mail bag. Only problem was that all the guys used Right Guard brand.

We shall not sleep..."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:
Good to know this. Like I said, I really don't want to hurt anyone's pet, even a charging dog and this stuff looks like it could cause permanent damage.

I knew a guy who was a retired mail carrier when I sold guns and hunting equipment. He said that they had spray dog repellents but could get into trouble. I am not sure to believe this or not, but he said the little travel size cans of Right Guard antiperspirant was about the worst thing to spray into a dog's nose. He said if they had gotten a complaint about some spraying their dog with dog repellent, instant plausible deniability, since they had only arm pit spray in their mail bag. Only problem was that all the guys used Right Guard brand.
Yeah, the meter readers and meter techs at work (the guys who have the most run-ins with dogs) are actually issued Hot Shot cattle prods. They all say that the "snap, crackle, & pop" of the Hot Shot usually gets the dog's attention, and stops it well before it gets into contact range.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Those here in the Big Mitten are illegal in so many ways. Wish it weren't true. We can get Taser's, but we have to get a special license on our CPL permits. That has yet to pass through. Anything that uses an electrical shock is verbotten big time here.

I am also discovering that the offending house seems to be empty during the day. I am not 100% sure, so I am going to use my new route and still avoid it for now. I still don't want to take any chances of the dog taking another set of holes out of me.

We shall not sleep..."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Stay with the new route.

Call animal control

Be ready to video

Buy a small can of pepper spray. Spray it in advance of a charge. I'd build a fence with it 10'-15' away and let the dog run into it and keep him running into it.

Get a cheap $20 stun gun online. If the wretched creature gets ahold of you, this WILL get him off.

None of that sounds too awkward for the ambulatory status you describe.

Or,

Change your driving route to the grocery store and run over the dog if given the chance.
Boldly going nowhere

dallas

Post by dallas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I have used regular pepper spray twice on dogs. One turned away. The other did not even slow down. If the dog is serious about hurting you, the spray will not work.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 pm

It could be your walking stick or reflective vest that set him off. Dogs can be smart but sometimes they tend to make sweeping generalizations. "Garbage man threw trash can lid at me. He wore reflective vest. All people in reflective vest are bad. I bite them" or "I got hit with a stick, people with sticks are bad. I bite them." When I was a kid the UPS man took an unwarranted swing at our border collie with his clip board. We had to start picking up packages in town after that, regardless of who the driver was.

I'd be tempted to leave the stick and vest behind (if possible) and grab the bear mace, rubber bullets .88 magnum or whatever makes you comfortable and walk past the house during the day. If the dog has been conditioned to become aggressive in the presence of a weapon or uniform you might not have any trouble. If it really is just an asshole dog you might have the opportunity to do a little training without a confrontation with the homeowner.

Of course, it's not my ass risking the bite marks so YMMV.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 am

Stercutus wrote: You could also use wasp killer if you want to save some money. Don't know if this will be fatal to the dog you can only hope. Might want to video the encounter if you the presence of mind. It will make the court really short or never happen.
This is just plain stupid advice. First, using wasp spray this way is illegal. Second, it has no immediate effects on people the way pepper spray does. Don't tell people to do blatantly illegal shit, k?

Rifleman, have you considered carrying openly? Open carry on foot without a valid CPL is legal in our state, and your situation sounds tailor-made for it. I think you've handled the situation very well so far. You're right to be wary about the dog getting loose again.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 am

Sounds like you've done everything you can. Be careful with bear spray I do believe it is a federal offense to discharge it on domesticated animals and humans.

Perhaps a taser or something along those lines might be prudent especially with you not have a CCP

Best of all would be to just avoid the area. It sucks, it's not right, but avoiding contact with the pet and owner would be the most prudent of courses to take. perhaps some self defense training with your walking stick. You mentioned health issues and practicing with the stick may be a good because as you said when the dog charged you, you were nearly knocked off your feet. If you had fallen the dog may not have backed off, as you would be seen as weak.

Best of luck
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:53 am

I hate irresponsible dog owners.

Firstly, I can't fault you for changing the route. No reason to let ego bring you into needless conflict with the owner (who sounds like a real peach BTW). Spray may or may not work depending on how amped up the dog is. When my brother was a meter reader he carried both a small can of spray and an umbrella. Umbrella could be used as a blocking/poking device and to scare the dog (rapid opening and closing). Of course it works for rain too, ha.

I can understand not wanting to open yourself to reprisal but if it happens again I would seriously reconsider not reporting the incident. You already did the right thing by attempting dialog first IMO. Chances are you aren't the first person this dog has acted aggressively toward. Anywho, if it comes at you full bore again I would mace/walking stick it. It's really the fault of the owner; dogs are gonna dog, you know?
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 am

Towanda wrote:
Stercutus wrote: You could also use wasp killer if you want to save some money. Don't know if this will be fatal to the dog you can only hope. Might want to video the encounter if you the presence of mind. It will make the court really short or never happen.
This is just plain stupid advice. First, using wasp spray this way is illegal. Second, it has no immediate effects on people the way pepper spray does. Don't tell people to do blatantly illegal shit, k?

Rifleman, have you considered carrying openly? Open carry on foot without a valid CPL is legal in our state, and your situation sounds tailor-made for it. I think you've handled the situation very well so far. You're right to be wary about the dog getting loose again.
Some parts of your post are true.

Not illegal here though.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp
You go over and under
I go through

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks guys for the the suggestions. They have given me a lot of thought.

I thought about the reflective, bright colored vest setting off the dog. I have seen a lot of cable repair/garbage truck drivers all over our area, wearing the same type of safety vest and have heard nothing about them being attacked. I do have an orange baseball style hat w/reflective stripes along the edges. It is cooler to wear then the vest but does give some visibility. Like I said, I have some neighbors who think our block is the 24 hours of LeMans. I did mention wearing the vest when I spoke to the police, who thought it an excellent suggestion. My local mail carrier also liked it and mentioned her winter uniform coat has "safety stripes" on the back as well.

I don't think the walking stick set off the dog either. As far as what the police told me and what the State law reads, a cane or walking stick in my state is perfectly legal, so I think I am not going to stop using or carrying one. I think I am also going to carry my Fox 40 whistle again. It is light and LOUD! One never knows and it may catch someone's attention.

As far as open carry, yes, I could wear my Glock 30 with my outside holster legally, although open carry in my state is a tricky legal topic in my state and as I stated before, I live in a sub division. The house are close together, cars are always moving and children are playing. I really don't want a stray round to hurt or kill somebody. As much as I would like to and it goes against my grain, carrying a sidearm is out and not safe.

Anything electrical to stun, shock or hurt is illegal in my state. We MIGHT be able to legally own Taser's next year, but the law still has not yet passed.

A friend of mine mentioned throwing dog treats. I don't think a charging dog is going to stop it in's track for a Milk Bone. Also, the owner might think that I might be trying to poison his pet. A legal and safe suggestion, just not practical.

Thanks for agreeing with me that everything I did was legal, safe and wise. I did have to swallow some pride but I think changing my route, trying to talk to the owner and notifying the police were the only things I could do. If I do have to travel that way on foot again, I will have my camera, phone, whistle and walking stick and perhaps one other person. If there is another confrontation, the police will be informed immediately.

We shall not sleep..."

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am

yossarian wrote:It could be your walking stick or reflective vest that set him off. Dogs can be smart but sometimes they tend to make sweeping generalizations. "Garbage man threw trash can lid at me. He wore reflective vest. All people in reflective vest are bad. I bite them" or "I got hit with a stick, people with sticks are bad. I bite them." When I was a kid the UPS man took an unwarranted swing at our border collie with his clip board. We had to start picking up packages in town after that, regardless of who the driver was. .
I was a paperboy as a kid. My mom's best friend had a mini-dog that came after me anytime it saw me with the paper bag, but was the nicest dog when we went over for dinner. It simply hated the bag. Don't know why, but I learned very quickly that if I saw her in the yard, I dropped my bike and bag at the neighbors, stuffed the paper up the back of my shirt, and hand delivered the paper after ringing the bell. The dog loved me the entire way up the drive.

I think you did everything a reasonable person would do if they were not looking to inflame the situation, or get angry over what happened. Also sounds like you have true concern for the animal's well being, and for that I applaud you. Pets only behave the way they are allowed to behave.

Other than the things you have done or are recommended...change route...carry pepper spray/bear spray...carry heavier walking stick, etc, maybe get a dog whistle? There is also a dog whistle app for smart phones.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Return to “What Would You Do?”