Do you know a future marauder?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Do you know a future marauder?

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 pm

OK
Say your house burned down with all your stuff in it (except your weapons and ammo I guess) and for some reason no one will help you by even throwing you a can of beans.

Are there any plants, trees or bushes growing?
Is there any long grass blades?
Any with seeds?
Any plants that over-wintered?
Are there dandelions, or other roots you could dig for?
Birdseed in the feeders?
Squirrels or birds in the trees?
Dried up apples or other fruits still hanging on branches?
Any larger animals you could hunt?
Farmer's fields you could glean from? (ask the farmer first of course.)
Any ponds with ducks, fish or frogs?
Anyone you could trade work for food or a share of a cow, honey from bees, etc?

Wait a minute - aren't there feral hogs all over Texas?
Go kill them.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm

That's the "I'll live off the land" mentality, which as other people have stated on here, in many cases won't really be feasible for long term, for most folks. It sucks, but I think there's truth in what I posted earlier. And it's not meant in a derogatory way towards anybody. Humans will do some amazing and scary things when it comes to survival.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:39 pm

I am really not posting to argue.
There are many people who read these threads.
I am attempting to give possibilities to those who read this and do not wish to steal or kill for supplies (that will run out and then what - steal more?).

Raiding might simply get one shot, thereby leaving those hungry kids at a greater risk than before.
It just is not sustainable.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:OK
Say your house burned down with all your stuff in it (except your weapons and ammo I guess) and for some reason no one will help you by even throwing you a can of beans.

Are there any plants, trees or bushes growing?
Is there any long grass blades?
Any with seeds?
Any plants that over-wintered?
Are there dandelions, or other roots you could dig for?
Birdseed in the feeders?
Squirrels or birds in the trees?
Dried up apples or other fruits still hanging on branches?
Any larger animals you could hunt?
Farmer's fields you could glean from? (ask the farmer first of course.)
Any ponds with ducks, fish or frogs?
Anyone you could trade work for food or a share of a cow, honey from bees, etc?

Wait a minute - aren't there feral hogs all over Texas?
Go kill them.
I totally agree ZG, there are so many other options than resorting to raiding. Where your at, the Pac NW there is so much native foods that it is insane that anyone goes hungry there. A little knowledge in foraging for food can go a long way.

I also like your suggestion of working in trade for food. I mentioned similar thought earlier on this thread.
ineffableone wrote:To look on the brighter side, or maybe just being a silly optimist.

I would hope rather than some of these trained and equipped folks becoming raiders and marauders, that they will hire out their services of protection and security to folks who aren't as well armed and trained. This would at least be an honest way to earn food rather than taking it at gun point.

I think there will be a lot of fairly well set up people with land, supplies, renewable resources (crops), even independent energy sources. However these people will likely not be able to guard the size of property they have with the amount of people they have at hand. I would hope the well armed and trained folks realize that signing on as security for these folks is a better option than becoming a problem person.

Sure I think some will go to the dark side, or are already there. But while I am not blind to the harshness and desperation of the hungry, I also have some hope that people will also band together. Form small enclaves and communities that protect eachother.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Rugger wrote:At that point, unless you plan on suck starting your rifle, you will almost for sure become a marauder. Even the best of us, with the best of intentions, will go down that road. If any one of us (or our family) are literally starving to death, and we know where food can be taken, we will make an attempt to take it.

We might just make an attempt to work for it first. Or trade something for it first. Taking by force is not the first, or only, option. Plenty of people have been in plenty of rough situations and have gotten through without resorting to force. Yes, at the same time, there are plenty of people out there who will resort to force first, without even being in that situation.

You're right when you said that "Humans will do some amazing and scary things when it comes to survival," but Individuals, man, they'll surprise you.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Rugger wrote:At that point, unless you plan on suck starting your rifle, you will almost for sure become a marauder. Even the best of us, with the best of intentions, will go down that road. If any one of us (or our family) are literally starving to death, and we know where food can be taken, we will make an attempt to take it.

We might just make an attempt to work for it first. Or trade something for it first. Taking by force is not the first, or only, option. Plenty of people have been in plenty of rough situations and have gotten through without resorting to force. Yes, at the same time, there are plenty of people out there who will resort to force first, without even being in that situation.

You're right when you said that "Humans will do some amazing and scary things when it comes to survival," but Individuals, man, they'll surprise you.
Y'all are right. And I should have been more clear that those things should be attempted first, of course, but the logical progression if those fail ends up at dead or marauder; which will likely end up at dead as well. I just think the likelihood of the living off the land, for someone that doesn't already know how to do that, is pretty low. I think your best bet is finding work that will pay with food and shelter. But by no means am I saying you just jump right into the role of bad guy, or good guy forced to do bad things to feed yourself and/or family. After all, that's why most of us are on here.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:44 am

I guess I may have just misunderstood, then. Thanks for clarifying. :D
Rugger wrote:But by no means am I saying you just jump right into the role of bad guy, or good guy forced to do bad things to feed yourself and/or family. After all, that's why most of us are on here.
Absolutely, and I'll go a step farther and say that a benefit of the education/outreach side of ZS is to help our neighbors/community prep, so that we don't have to be as worried about them kicking down our doors for that last can of pork and beans. Plus, if they are better prepared, they might be able to return the favor, and help US avoid facing that same situation. It's win-win.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 am

Rugger wrote:Geez, this is a disturbing topic.
Reality checks can get that way, especially if you dwell on it.

I plan for the worst but I don't focus in on that. Instead, I focus my attention on the here-and-now and what steps I'm working on at that moment. Between steps is redoing the whole plan and goals, figuring out best bang-for-the-buck and weakest area of preps, and deciding the next step. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Life is a whole lot more tolerable for me when I do things that way, especially when you are working on the likely stuff (power outage?) and leaving off the unlikely (Thunderdome - 2 men enter, 1 man leaves).

Funny enough, doing the small stuff moves you towards handling the big stuff. I mean I can live off a well-tended, carefully planned and lovingly maintained garden from a tent if it came to that. Just my 2 cents.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:31 am

ZombieGranny wrote:I
I am attempting to give possibilities to those who read this and do not wish to steal or kill for supplies (that will run out and then what - steal more?).

Raiding might simply get one shot, thereby leaving those hungry kids at a greater risk than before.
My point is that having a friends and neighbors network is what creates sustainability. Even if that house burns down, the neighbors since you so nicely helped them at X or Y community gathering before 'the event', will take you in and help you out. And since you weeded their garden, or helped them with mulching, or whatever, it's not out of charity, as much as out of payback.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:38 am

plus one!
-

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 am

.milFox wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I

My point is that having a friends and neighbors network is what creates sustainability. Even if that house burns down, the neighbors since you so nicely helped them at X or Y community gathering before 'the event', will take you in and help you out. And since you weeded their garden, or helped them with mulching, or whatever, it's not out of charity, as much as out of payback.
'zactly!

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 am

Since when does having a large stash of guns and ammo make you a higher potential to become a marauder? If the SHTF bad enough or long enough that someone has exhausted a months worth of food, chances are a barter system will be in place. Just like in all forms of society there will be enterprising people looking to make a better life (or a buck). There will be area's set up that will be the equivalent of a farmers market or someone that knows someone, that knows someone that deals in trade. Food and clean water will always be desirable, but so will guns and ammo. That stash of guns and ammo may make for some good trade fodder. Mass chaos on a large level and fire fights around every corner are pretty damn unlikely. There will always be people willing to steal and kill, but the majority of the people aren't looking to fight, they are looking to survive. Communities will come together and rebuild.

*I also live in the bread basket of America where people still hold open doors for people and smile and say hi to almost everyone they meet coming down the street. If I lived somewhere else, I might not have such high hopes in humanity.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

nathat

Post by nathat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:58 pm

To the OP, I wouldn't worry too much. Most people I meet and try to have the "prep" talk is usually over guns and hobbies. I don't mention any of my food supplies unless it's someone I'm confident will not try to take it at a later time. It may be your neighbor isn't fully prepared, or he may just not want to share everything with you.

Witch-Doctor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Witch-Doctor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:15 am

In my neck of the woods I'm more likely to be besieged by people looking for handouts than anything else. Of course, sooner or later there will be that one slang-talking, no belt-wearing, never worked a real job punk that thinks he's gonna just take what he wants. I got him covered, and his little punk friends. But what about all the rest, begging me for handouts? I say handouts because they don't work for anything now and they sure aren't going to start. I foresee many of these type people. Their not exactly marauders, at least not in the classic sense, but they're aiming for the same end result. They want your stuff, and they aren't going to trade work, or goods, or even good will for it? How does one handle the hoard of 'lazy marauders'?

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 am

As posted by various members previously -

You must find a way to change 'me' to 'us'. Family, friends, members of your house of worship, guys in your rock band - whoever fits with you.
There is power in numbers.
-

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 am

ZombieGranny wrote:As posted by various members previously -

You must find a way to change 'me' to 'us'. Family, friends, members of your house of worship, guys in your rock band - whoever fits with you.
Sometimes I really wish ZS had a "Like" button.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 am

First off I think people need to understand that its hard to have a situation of "absolute massive starvation". During the Great Depression and WWII, and in most 3rd world countries today, there are plenty of armed people who suffer peacefully with food and calorie shortages, but not full blown starvation. Armed, poor folks go hungry, but survive on handouts, foraged food, and scraps , while rich people have lavish diners just a mile away all the time with no violence. I do worry that some spoiled, chubby folks in so called civilized society, not being able to cope and resorting to violence because they are thrown into a 800-1200 calories a day poor, refugee persons diet, but all in all I think most will adapt, cope, and suffer in silence.

However in the unlikely event where there is a COMPLETE shutdown of possible food sources, like in the movie "The Road", or in "Soylent Green" people will probably get violent for food.

Preppers are funny though. They may say, "if my kids/wife/parent/girlfriend, etc. is starving I will get violent and take from those who have food." , but I doubt most people will have the guts to take it to that dark level of violence. Criminals and sociopaths will do what they always do, but is the average prepper really going to slaughter a family, for a couple cans of chili? Most likely decent, normal people will resort to non violent criminal activity first before violence. There will be theft of unprotected food stashes, major shoplifting in food stores, hijacking of food trucks, and things like that, before people will resort to murdering for food.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 pm

DarkAxel wrote:

Sometimes I really wish ZS had a "Like" button.
As do I.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes!
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:55 pm

wrong thread. post removed
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Witch-Doctor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Witch-Doctor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:43 am

Couldn't agree with Mikeyboy more. There aren't really a lot of scenarios (that I can really think of) in which a stash of more than a weeks worth of food could prove lifesaving. It would have to be a scenario where you really just cannot leave your home/shelter for at least a week, probably longer. Some parts of the world have extreme weather that can do that... and then of course there are rare (but certainly existent) zombie outbreaks. If anyone can name a few other such situations, Id love to consider them.

Red_Ramage

Post by Red_Ramage » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:18 am

From an outside viewpoint, I could be seen as a potential maurader. I talk about guns, about the latest range trip, what I'm lusting after, etc, far more than I talk about the beans in the basement. I have roughly three times as much money put into food storage as I do into firearms, but you'd never guess it from knowing me casually. Pretty much only my immediate family knows about the "zombie pantry". As others have said, gentle inquiry into the subject with your buddy might turn up a surprise for you or provide an opening for pitching food prep to him.

I think that in the event of a total breakdown of society, most of those with a raider mindset will meet an unfortunate end fairly early on. The number one way to survive a gunfight is not be in a gunfight, after all. Six months after the SHTF, I expect most of the people who remain are those who are self-sufficient and cautious. In any major SHTF, dense urban centers will be zones of death and starvation, and raiding rural areas is a great way to come down with acute lead poisoning.
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:37 am

Red_Ramage wrote:...raiding rural areas is a great way to come down with acute lead poisoning.
QFT

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Witch-Doctor wrote:Couldn't agree with Mikeyboy more. There aren't really a lot of scenarios (that I can really think of) in which a stash of more than a weeks worth of food could prove lifesaving. It would have to be a scenario where you really just cannot leave your home/shelter for at least a week, probably longer. Some parts of the world have extreme weather that can do that... and then of course there are rare (but certainly existent) zombie outbreaks. If anyone can name a few other such situations, Id love to consider them.
Unless you were referring to this with "zombie outbreaks," national or global pandemic with a highly transmissible virus as virulent as the Spanish flu of 1918. Even if food is available at stores, anyone with families who can will want to stay home for several weeks until the flu burns itself out in your region.

In this situation, I can't imagine marauders are going to be much of a problem unless it triggers a long term SHTF societal collapse. They'll be scared of catching the flu from someone else and probably would focus on closed businesses for looting, rather than homes with people which could be full of flu germs.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Return to “What Would You Do?”