Short term interstate move -WWYD

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aus.templar

Short term interstate move -WWYD

Post by aus.templar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 am

Hey guys,

Long story short. I'm moving from one end of the country to the complete other because of the army. I can't take my guns with me, I have limited luggage allowance so taking even a moderate portion of preps is unfeasible. What I'm looking for is what would you do to prep when you get there, or what would you take with you as a must?

I will basically have a bedroom and that's it to both live in and for storage space, I'm assuming they'll be periodic room inspections also so nothing stacked up in the corner.

I'm thinking I'll make a special BOB, and fill the food/water/gas fuel etc parts once I get up there and can get to some shops.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Chop
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, WorldWar Z, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later

Re: Short term interstate move -WWYD

Post by Chop » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 am

It would be hard to know what to suggest you take without knowing how much room you'll have in your luggage or what you are allowed to take. If possible I would take my knife. It's arguably the most important piece of equipment most people have. Also finding one that feels good in your hand, is big enough to do the job, small enough to carry, etc. can be hard as well as expensive.
Even if you have to restart your preps from scratch the fact that you've done it before puts you ahead of most people. As far as having limited space the only thing I can think looking into getting a small storage space.
If you are not prepared for something then you are not prepared for anything.

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Post by McSquishin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:15 pm

My suggestion is to go ahead and pack up all of your prepper stuff and rent out a climate controlled storage unit at your destination. I get the luggage allowance thing, but if the cost of eventually replacing your equipment is greater than going out of pocket on this then just pony up for a uhaul if need be.

Storage units are cheap, would give you a safe place away from inspections for all of your gear (* see below), and should be a relatively short term solution. If you're living in a barracks room then that means you are likely an E-4 or below. You've been in long enough to PCS to a new duty station, so you shouldn't have much longer 'till you hit E-5 and start getting BAH. Once that happens you'll have your own pad to fill up with as much prepper ridiculousness as you can.

*Do not take this to say I'm arguing for you to skirt laws and/or military regulations. Being away from inspections is a benefit simply because of the lack of clutter in your barracks space.
Ne Desit Virtus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:49 pm

McSquishin wrote:My suggestion is to go ahead and pack up all of your prepper stuff and rent out a climate controlled storage unit at your destination. I get the luggage allowance thing, but if the cost of eventually replacing your equipment is greater than going out of pocket on this then just pony up for a uhaul if need be.

Storage units are cheap, would give you a safe place away from inspections for all of your gear (* see below), and should be a relatively short term solution. If you're living in a barracks room then that means you are likely an E-4 or below. You've been in long enough to PCS to a new duty station, so you shouldn't have much longer 'till you hit E-5 and start getting BAH. Once that happens you'll have your own pad to fill up with as much prepper ridiculousness as you can.

*Do not take this to say I'm arguing for you to skirt laws and/or military regulations. Being away from inspections is a benefit simply because of the lack of clutter in your barracks space.
LOL, I am pretty sure he did not mean the US Army.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Post by McSquishin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Stercutus wrote: LOL, I am pretty sure he did not mean the US Army.
...well shit. I somehow missed that small detail.
Ne Desit Virtus

ctstough

Post by ctstough » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:41 am

Granted, I got out of the Army in 1996, so things may have changed. Also, I was in the Infantry, so that may make things different as well...

1. I could secure two cases of MRE's in about 15 minutes at any new post.

2. My primary purpose was defending this country. Bugging out was not an option.

3. I didn't need a weapon on Post. My weapon was in a cage, zeroed to my specs and waiting for the moment I needed it, which was when they said so. The last thing I wanted in the barracks was some dude with a personal weapon.

I'm sorry I don't know a more polite way of saying these things.

PS. Thank you so much for your service. Seriously.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 am

nehaali wrote:I was repacking my bag this weekend and my wife pointed out to me that everything I have is "camo...ish" colored. I have an orange handkerchief (because "they" say you need one) but everything else would blend into a forest environment pretty well. This made me realize that subconsciously my bag is designed to avoid people not signal for rescue.
So I was wondering; when the SHTF are you trying to get away from everyone or trying to survive until rescued?
(food for thought, how do your preps reflect your intentions?)
I was curious about where I'd read this before, so I searched.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1&t=113530

Hm.

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 am

KGBrick wrote:I was curious about where I'd read this before, so I searched.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1&t=113530

Hm.
Good catch!
Yup, a spambot/mechanical-turk.
You may have potential as a real zombie hunter. :)

There's been a sudden burst of them.
In general, if you see a nonsensical post from a one-time only poster, assume it's spam, and ignore them until they post something coherent.

Typically, they wait a few days, then add a signature with links to bad sites (spam and/or "drive-by malware").

They're currently (mainly?) targeting "Other Gear", for example these thread subjects:
"best software for a beginner to start"
"getting into the whole xbox live experince"
"able to store music, pictures, videos"
"Any good zombie movies"
"software to make music videos"
Note how none of those relate to "Other Gear"?

The other tactic is to necro a thread (like this one) with something banal or copied, wait a bit, then change their sig.
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:57 am

All the fun parts of moderating without the actual work. :clap:

I've seen similar tactics before but never a bot so crass as to lift the entire contents of another post from the same forum.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks, guys, for making our jobs easier. :clap:

The banhammer hath struck the spammer.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “What Would You Do?”