Raiders in Washington state

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Raiders in Washington state

Post by airmandan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Not really sure what forum this should go in but I figured here was best.

Local newspaper ran a front page article on some local preppers. To be perfectly blunt, the article makes us look damn crazy. The organizer of the group is in the process of making his own suit of ballistic armor, will only weigh 80-100 pounds. :shock: He's going to need this armor cause he plans to take what he needs from others. I'm not making this up he states this in the article. Here's the link:

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/11/09/2 ... msday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's right folks, we have a legit Raider on our hands, something typically seen only as myth and legend.

So my question for you, the members of ZS, is this. Is anyone else actually excited for this guy to drive up to your home?
Last edited by airmandan on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jedi Mind Trick

Re: Peppers in Washington state

Post by Jedi Mind Trick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:10 pm

"excited" isn't quite the word....

I get the feeling this guy is just trying to drum up publicity via controversy... at least that's what I'm hoping is going on over there :vmad:

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:13 pm

I am glad I live in FL, but I am sure there are plenty more like them. What I don't get is how prepared this group already is, but yet plan on raiding? To answer your question though, I would not be excited at all. Perhaps he is trying to go the controversy route to ensure more TV appearances.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

Jedi Mind Trick

Post by Jedi Mind Trick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Bahamut wrote:What I don't get is how prepared this group already is, but yet plan on raiding?
That's what made me think it's a publicity stunt... preparing to not need to raid others would be easier and safer than preparing specifically to raid others. But, I can be dumb sometimes :lol:

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Jedi Mind Trick wrote:
Bahamut wrote:What I don't get is how prepared this group already is, but yet plan on raiding?
That's what made me think it's a publicity stunt... preparing to not need to raid others would be easier and safer than preparing specifically to raid others. But, I can be dumb sometimes :lol:
Well, base on the doomsday prepper commercial for these guys, I wouldn't be surprised if they are intending to raid, but I know anything from NAT Geo's editing room has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Im hoping its all for publicity too, but its a pretty damn stupid thing to say, especially to the press. I guess we will have to wait for the show to air to get a real idea of how equipped they actually are

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Jedi Mind Trick wrote:
Especially when they claim to have "more like two years" worth of food, but plan on raiding for medical supplies. :clownshoes:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Found their page on NAT GEO. Episode Airs tomorrow. Titled "We are the Marauders"

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... marauders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

video of their "Armor" test.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... lletproof/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

checkout this comment allegedly by Mr. Smith himself. It's at the bottom of the armor test video.
"Tyler Smith
7 days ago
@chuck myers hey chuck we do try 00 buck in a live test. I do agree no prepper will use birdshot but its not the common prepper we fear its the common person who finds granddads shotgun and wants to be a hero...lol"

Jedi Mind Trick

Post by Jedi Mind Trick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm

airmandan wrote: checkout this comment allegedly by Mr. Smith himself. It's at the bottom of the armor test video.
"Tyler Smith
7 days ago
@chuck myers hey chuck we do try 00 buck in a live test. I do agree no prepper will use birdshot but its not the common prepper we fear its the common person who finds granddads shotgun and wants to be a hero...lol"
wait.... what?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Raiders in Washington state

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:42 pm

All I'm getting out of this article is that this idiot and his merry band of morons are going to end up as target practice for an armed home or store owner should a major SHTF type scenario ever happen.

The guy might be doing this for publicity and may or may not actually plan on really doing this, but you just know there's going to be at least a few people out there who are going to think this is a viable plan when the show airs.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:11 pm

airmandan wrote:... not the common prepper we fear its the common person who finds granddads shotgun and wants to be a hero...lol"
Gee. Why would anyone do that? Maybe because some slob wearing a lunatic costume smashed down the kitchen door looking to steal the last of the pork and beans. Other people. Good grief.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Hmmph. I don't... can't even...whaaaa?

Agh! The fact that they lump him in with preppers as a whole borders on the insulting and I am trying to be polite here.

Good thing they do not practice marksmanship much I guess, what with bullets being expensive and all.

Any chance any of the alphabet soup agencies getting wind of these folks may take a closer look at this outfit?

Oh boy! So he makes his living as a 'survival consultant' and based on the printed article he has a network of 80 dues-paying members?

Joy.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:54 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:Hmmph. I don't... can't even...whaaaa?

Agh! The fact that they lump him in with preppers as a whole borders on the insulting and I am trying to be polite here.

Good thing they do not practice marksmanship much I guess, what with bullets being expensive and all.

Any chance any of the alphabet soup agencies getting wind of these folks may take a closer look at this outfit?

Oh boy! So he makes his living as a 'survival consultant' and based on the printed article he has a network of 80 dues-paying members?

Joy.
How many of those 80 dues-paying members do you think actually exist and aren't just made up by this doofus ?

Trident
Favorite Zombie Movies: Have not yet decided.

Post by Trident » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Well, well the fella has no clue about security.

Blabs his grand plan.

Hopefully the guard dogs in his area will deal with him if does come marauding.

Sad thing is, is that there are those out there who really do plan on doing horrendous things and will feel justified by the "I am just taking care of my own."

His supposed support of the big O is most likely a weak attempt of misdirection.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

People like that will eventually pick the wrong target.
WWSD?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 pm

There are so many things wrong with this person's logic it is not funny. Fortunately he does not have the money for target practice.

That said all ZS'ers should read this article and understand that losers like this person and worse (better prepared and trained people with similar intentions) will be out there in a SHTF situation.

Everytime I hear "I am prepared, l have guns and ammo"(i.e. all they have are guns/ammo and nothing else). I cringe and think..." This is why I train defensively with my firearms :( ".
Last edited by raptor on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

wheelday
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombie II, All of 'Em.

Post by wheelday » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:07 am

At first I was going to laugh at this guy. Then I realized that Nat Geo was involved and quite frankly, I think it's hogwash made up by Nat Geo. I'm sure he's being well paid to say what they think will get ratings. It's no secret what they do on that show and what they tell people to say on that show.

On the off chance he's really serious, he won't get very far. He'll be picked off by someone in short order, and probably not by the people he's expecting to attempt it.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

crazy marauder mindest + survival consultant + not enough money to train the way he believes he should = money grab

Hopefully there will not be those duped into giving this moron more money to allow him the ability to develop the way he wants. If he gets the money the electrical contractor had last week (2 weeks ago?), this man could be pure evil.

As raptor said, if someone is willing to go on national TV and say these items, think of the number of people that think similarly that would never consider making thoughts like these public.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm

airmandan wrote: its not the common prepper we fear its the common person who finds granddads shotgun and wants to be a hero...lol"
And the common person who finds granddad's M1 Garand will put a nice hole through his chest...
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Isn't Washington a full auto state?

Given this maroon is telegraphing his intentions, I'll mention a few flaws in his TOE that hopefully he hears about and set up even worse solutions.

Pepper spray or tear gas. This was used against the tangos in Nairobi by the minister's son, prompting their claims of poison gas.
The suit lacks adequate NBC protection. One can of EZ-OFF carefully applied could end him. To compensate for this more roofing tar needs to be applied. Every inch needs at least one or two coats. While you're at it mix quantities of #12 shot into the tar for radiation protection. Someone out there may have weaponized an old X-Ray machine. You never know.
I wouldn't even waste time on a gas mask, only SCUBA will do in this case. A two tank solution should weigh about 60 pounds or so. Extend the breathing hose to a wheelbarrow and he wouldn't have to carry it on his back.

BTW, he also needs to add an armored plate under the boot soles. Otherwise this marauder is one rusty nail or land mine away from total disaster.

All done this should add only another hundred pounds to the suit's weight. A pittance in return for the added protection.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:25 pm

jor-el wrote:Isn't Washington a full auto state?

Given this maroon is telegraphing his intentions, I'll mention a few flaws in his TOE that hopefully he hears about and set up even worse solutions.

Pepper spray or tear gas. This was used against the tangos in Nairobi by the minister's son, prompting their claims of poison gas.
The suit lacks adequate NBC protection. One can of EZ-OFF carefully applied could end him. To compensate for this more roofing tar needs to be applied. Every inch needs at least one or two coats. While you're at it mix quantities of #12 shot into the tar for radiation protection. Someone out there may have weaponized an old X-Ray machine. You never know.
I wouldn't even waste time on a gas mask, only SCUBA will do in this case. A two tank solution should weigh about 60 pounds or so. Extend the breathing hose to a wheelbarrow and he wouldn't have to carry it on his back.

BTW, he also needs to add an armored plate under the boot soles. Otherwise this marauder is one rusty nail or land mine away from total disaster.

All done this should add only another hundred pounds to the suit's weight. A pittance in return for the added protection.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I wonder if he's considered the risk of vehicles used against him? Modifying that suit to be truck-proof might be tricky.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:36 pm

I was looking at the numbers, he'd need either a van or a pickup truck to get around anyways. 100 pound suit, 9 pound rifle, 8 pounds of ammo at minimum, 5 pounds various kit. This guy will not be going anywhere very quick.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 pm

airmandan wrote:I was looking at the numbers, he'd need either a van or a pickup truck to get around anyways. 100 pound suit, 9 pound rifle, 8 pounds of ammo at minimum, 5 pounds various kit. This guy will not be going anywhere very quick.
Looking at those numbers, all someone would really have to do is push the guy over when he's not looking and he'd be screwed.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
airmandan wrote:I was looking at the numbers, he'd need either a van or a pickup truck to get around anyways. 100 pound suit, 9 pound rifle, 8 pounds of ammo at minimum, 5 pounds various kit. This guy will not be going anywhere very quick.
Looking at those numbers, all someone would really have to do is push the guy over when he's not looking and he'd be screwed.
Ewok traps...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “What Would You Do?”