How would you bug out if you only had the regular things?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Re: How would you bug out if you only had the regular things

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 pm

March 27, 1964 at 5:36pm local time. Zero notice.

http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib ... q00043.jpg

Yes, houses fell down the (new) hill.

http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib ... e00076.jpg

Real waterfront destroyed by a tsunami.

Haven't had another quake this bad in town - yet. I leave a yukon ruck in the car with wool blanket, change of clothes, Swiss SS cookset with fuel & utensils, food, some water, etc. Looks like a junk tarp, wadded and stuffed in the corner. SO far, so good. 'Couse it helps das auto look like a crapmobile most of the time. Urban camo....

If I can get to the car, I'm good.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:58 am

Again, it depends on the situation. I don't consider myself a prepper, I just keep stuff on hand in case of emergencies, I am big on being a minimalist.

Bad weather evacuation in a vehicle: computers, important papers, some cash, a handgun (probably my Blackhawk .45ACP/LC or Para P14) and a box of ammo, with some water and canned food, my clean laundry basket. My Jeep always has a Plano plastic sportsman's trunk in it with rain gear, a pair of boots, a tool box, tow straps, axe, flashlights, etc. in case of a breakdown or winter storm cuz I do dumb things so that might be cheating on the "no prepping".

Total SHTF where the grid goes down and I don't have a vehicle and the world is coming to an end: GUNS!!! (probably my Rem 700 and 3 boxes of ammo, and my Star 30M and 2 boxes of ammo... don't wanna go "tacticool" and wanna look like jim-bob the hunter), a tarp, 2 good knives, a hatchet, my best maglight, 2 work gloves, some paracord, little bit o' water, little bit o' food, my service boots, my best jeans, my columbia jacket, my redsox hat, lighter, and a pack of Marlboro Reds cuz lung cancer doesn't matter anymore!!!

Zombies: GUNS GUNS GUNS, a bottle of Jack Daniels, a pouch of Redman, and my 90's Metallica Mixtape on my Panasonic Boombox
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Didn't read the whole thread, I'll come back and read it later, so I don't know how redundant I'm being right now.

I'm just going to assume a car based bug out.

-Clean water. As much as I can possibly pack.
-Non-perishable food (canned or otherwise).
-Weather appropriate clothing. Extra underwear and socks. Appropriate footwear.
-Cash and identification.
-Lighters/matches. Any source of fire I can scrounge up
-Flashlights + batteries. Any quality candles if I have any as well.
-Essential/useful electronic devices + chargers/needed accessories (laptop/phone/radio)
-A simple metal pot for cooking and water purification. A small frying pan to cook with.
-Basic kitchen tools. Spoon/fork/knife. Can opener. Something to cook with. Sponge or brillo pad to clean with. Some sort of non-breakable bowl or large cup to eat out of.
-Basic hygiene supplies. Toilet paper, towels/paper towels, tooth brush, tooth paste etc.
-Large heavy duty trash bags (cleanup, improvised shelter or poncho etc...)
-A small household tool kit. At least pliers, screwdriver set, adjustable wrench, and the basics needed to perform any work on the car.
-Work gloves
-Duct tape
-Any rope/cordage I have on hand.
-Bleach.
-What ever firearm I may own if the situation dictates.
-First aid and any medication items that may be needed.
-Small luxury items such as cards.
-Any important literature items such as maps and/or survival reference texts.
-Stationary items such as pen/paper/markers

Now, without knowing what is in the camp kit, I can only assume there would be shelter, some sort of stove, and basic wilderness tools such as axe/machete, saw and a knife.

Now that was just a list off the top of my head of typical things I think most homes would have.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Adding more that I forget.

-Bedding/sleeping bags.
-Ziploc bags
-Any good bag or pack to pack if going on foot is required.
-Any roadside essentials. Jumper cables, oil, antifreeze etc... for vehicle.
-Sewing/repair kit (including super glue)
-Vitamins/supplements. (not really needed for a short term, but a bottle of multi-vitamins doesn't take up much space in a car)

As far as food goes, if I am packing out by car and weight is not much of an issue, than I would go with mal options that need minimal preparation. For most people that means stuff like canned food, that only needs to be heated, and in a pinch can just be eaten from the can. Save the ultra light dehydrated food and such in case packing out on foot becomes the only option. And of course, any ready to eat items like cereal, beef jerky, peanut butter and such also should be taken.

Food items that are semi-perishable that will not spoil or rot if not refrigerated for a short period of time should also be brought and eaten first. Including bread, fruits, some veggies etc...

If space allows for a cooler, then that opens up some options too I guess.

elienergy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead ( Although, arguably, most movies falsely depict zombies)

Post by elienergy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:45 pm

I truly appreciated this question. I surveyed 5 people, non preppers, 3 whom are friends and 2 family members. Their answers were quite similar; however, my family would undoubtedly struggle with even finding these items within the home, in such short notice.

Their answers in no particular order:
- flaslight (all but 1 forgot to pack extra batteries)
-Clothing /blankets
- legal documents ( 3 admitted to not knowing off hand where all their documents were)
- bottled water ( all 5 admitted not having any in their home currently)
- cash (all but 2 admitted they had no cash on hand just credit cards)
- canned food
- a weapon ( which none of the 5 owned)
- phone/ipod/lap top ( they all mentioned bringing a charger but when reminded that in this scenerio there may not be outlets they sucked their teeth)
-Some form of entertainment (be it books, hand held systems, radio etc)
- hygenic items (toiletries, first aid/medicines)

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Being born and raised in Florida, I'll agree with what's been said, it's hard to get us to leave our homes.
Thinking back to how I was before I started preparing for stuff, I'd probably be throwing clothes and MREs in an army issue ruck and heading out the door. Simply because it's army issue, the ruck would have web gear in it (which I wouldn't be wearing) that would have canteens, a first aid kit, a flashlight (with no back up batteries), and a poncho on it. I might have a sleeping bag in there, but I doubt it. I'd be lacking in water filtration, a knife, and fire.

tedbeau

Re: How would you but out if you only had the regular things

Post by tedbeau » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:34 am

BullOnParade wrote:This is a difficult mental exercise, because we're going to think like preppers. We condition and train our brains to think of things we need in certain scenarios. A person who hasn't thought of these things ahead of time are likely to freeze up, take twice as long to decide what they should pack, overpack, and forget things.

A prepper has thought of the scenarios they could possibly find themselves in, and knows what they need to bring to maneuver that situation, and, in many cases, already has a lot of these items packed.
+1 on this.

I doubt most non-preppers are going to think of things like insurance data, social security cards, birth certificates. They are also not likely to have more than a dozen rounds of ammo for any guns they do have. My minister's father keeps asking him why in the world anybody needs more than one box of ammo? (they are Canadian btw).

Anyways, I'll try to answer as a non-prepper, if I think I have to evacuate my house I would pack like I am taking a one week vacation, shaving kit, toothbrush, 4 days changes of clothes, cash on hand, credit cards. My plan would be drive to the nearest hotel out of danger area and get a room. Of course I am going to be disappointed when I realize all the rooms are booked, rates have tripled, credit card transactions are not working and I don't have enough cash.

I also am not going to know where to go or when to return because I didn't think to bring a radio, I was planning on catching the evening news on the tv in my hotel room.

I didn't pack more than a bottle of water/ soda, and a bag of chips for the drive, and of course all the restaurants are closed and the store selves are stripped bare.

Basically I am screwed!

This is why I try not to think like a non-prepper!

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Guess most of you other Floridians don't live anywhere near MacDill AFB, Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, Patrick AFB, Tyndale AFB, Camp Blanding, ISC Miami or the other Coast Guard facilities, Blount Island Command (the Marines in Jacksonville), the Naval Air Warfare Center (in Orlando), any of the other Naval facilities like Jacksonville, Key West, Pensacola, May Port, Panama City. :rofl:

I've lived on and in the shadow of MacDill most of my life ... dad stationed here in '75 and retired in '86 and here I still be. It is always in the back of my mind and what could happen one way or the other. Any military facility ... including places like the VA hospitals ... could very well become targets and/or locations for incidences that would require a bug out.

The problem for us here in Florida is that there are so many targets and so widely dispersed through out the state that bugging out would likely prove ineffective at best. The state would look like an ant pile that got stirred up. You think evacuated a place like New Orleans is problematic, try evacuating an entire state.

Urdnot_Grunt

Post by Urdnot_Grunt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:17 am

I'd dress up in long pants and a shirt and took sweater and a jacket with me, together with a bandana and a cap (bandana to cover my mouth and nose if I was afraid to inhale something bad). Torch, sleeping bag, pocket knife, gun of course, documents, some cash, my phone, maps, spare batteries, food that can't go bad and water and definitely some first-aid stuff like bandages, band aids etc. Then I'd make sure my g/f packs up similar stuff plus some rope and we would run off.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 am

I forgot condoms. Lots and lots of condoms.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:I forgot condoms. Lots and lots of condoms.
Gotta keep that rifle barrel dry.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Beowolf wrote:Imagine you're not a prepper or survivalist. You hear of some impending disaster coming your direction--epidemic, marauding hordes, zombie masses, mega-storm--whatever it is, you believe it requires that you leave your home within 1-2 hours and that you're not coming back. Again, let's imagine that you don't have that tacticool BOB, EDC, INCH bag, etc.--what you have are your regular, run-of-the-mill things many people have.

What regular things that your relatively average person might have in their possession would you gather in a panic to protect you and survive the potential EOTWAWKI? How would you make your exit?
Grab documents, money, two-three bottle of water, bread, pre-cooked food, fruit, at least two different clothes, flashlight and batteries, a kitchen knife, a spoon,a fork, basic medicine as aspirine and similar, some lighters, perhaps even a very small steel pot before I leave, everything inside of a portable backpack.
Put some on my shoulder and some the rear rack of my bicycle.
Beowolf wrote:Let's say you have a (common enough) handgun, rifle, and/or shotgun and a few hundred rounds for each. Let's say you have basic to intermediate camping gear (you could survive for up to four or five days without restocking or needing something you don't have with you). You have a vehicle.
Well, i have nothing like that, put aside a bicycle if you consider it and adeguate vehicle ...

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I forgot condoms. Lots and lots of condoms.
Instantly reminded me of that Friends episode, when Chandler, Joey, Monica and Phoebe are stuck (for the second time) in a bedroom.

Joey: Well, remember when they got in that big fight and broke up, and we were all stuck in here with no food or anything? Well, when Ross said, "Rachel," at the wedding, I figured it was gonna happen again, so I hid this in here.
Monica: Oh, candy bars, crossword puzzles...
Phoebe: Oo, Madlibs! Mine!
Chandler: Condoms?
Joey: You don't know how long we're gonna be in here! We may have to repopulate the Earth.
Chandler: And condoms are the way to do that?

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:12 am

I will add also a can opener.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 am

If I am not prepared I am going to Kmart with my credit card and a couple of trailers and buying everything I know I need. Notice I say Kmart and not Walmart. I think even with the apoco-clypsy fast approaching the parking lot at Kmart will be empty.

Edit- I will probably drag the SXS out from under the bed and load her up with some birdshot and get the Ruger Blackhawk that I have not shot since the 70s from the shoe box in the closet and load it with the four rounds I have for it. JIC shit gets real.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:18 am

I think most non-preppers would panic and grab stupid shit that is at hand or has meaning to them instead of sitting down and making a logical list of things to bring, or even having that stuff on hand. I'm the only person in my immediate family who has camping gear or a hiking pack, or knives, or guns, or more than just lighters to start fires. I sloppily don't have a BOB prepared, though I have most of the components for one in various places at home. I'd want my laptop and its power cord, the external hard drive everything backs up to and its cords, a gun, spare filled mags, and to kick myself for never finishing digitizing all the pictures I keep meaning to scan.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:44 am

nyarlotep wrote:.... and to kick myself for never finishing digitizing all the pictures I keep meaning to scan.
So true. I laugh everytime I see the episode of the walking dead where they talk about the wives taking the photo albums. I think many people, including the women in my life, would grab sentimental things like photos and bab clothes and ignore the necessities (yes, that is the male chauvinist side of me...). Just like Dumb and Dumber, "only grab the necessities"... comes out with a cowboy hat, beer, and paddle ball.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:56 pm

It is hard for me to think in terms of "regular things" since for me I have had a crap load of camping gear most of my life. Most of my preps are actually my camping gear that I leave packed up and ready to grab, except some of the urban/suburban use gear.

So for me thinking regular gear, changes very little from what I have normally.

I have also been into woodscraft/bushcraft (though I just called it playing in the woods) since I was a little kid, so again difficult for me to think in terms of typical person who has no idea how to survive without modern accoutrements.

My guess is that average people as others have said would pile up a bunch of items with little forethought. Can goods but no can opener, microwave frozen meals with no way to keep them frozen or to microwave them, computers and other electronic devices with no way to charge them, clothing that is not really useful but instead trendy and expensive, etc. Lets also not forget average folks would also grab sentimental items. Photo albums, nick knacks, artwork, and other such tings would get tossed in with evacuation gear.

I would also say average folks would way over pack such items. Bags stuffed with this stuff, cars filled with them, etc. Yet likely miss important items like: some blankets or sleeping bags, toilet paper, important documents, etc.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “What Would You Do?”