Child at the Door

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Re: Child at the Door

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

elricfate wrote:
phractal wrote:Booger eater shows up at my door, I let my 110 lb dog out... I fucking HATE children, with a bleeding, black, ulcerous passion, and everyone in my AO knows it.
And if I saw you, as a neighbour, loose your 110lb dog at a 2 year old child, you wouldn't have a 110lb dog anymore.

I love kids and I love dogs, but if a dog is tearing after a small child, I'm gonna shoot it twice, in the face, and move on.

And you brought that comment on yourself for saying you would let an animal on a kid.
Totally agreed, except I'm not gonna stop until the owner of that former dog is in jail. I'm actually wondering if making a threat like that on ZS, whereby it is inferred that phractal would sick his dog on a wandering toddler with possibly lethal results, doesn't constitute a rule violation of this message board.

Because it is.

Because he's threatening to kill small children that wander into his yard.

But hey, that's why I'm not a moderator, because instantly and permanently banning people for spewing such cruel internet commando bullshit like that is deemed a little too rash for a first offense around here.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

phractal wrote:Booger eater shows up at my door, I let my 110 lb dog out... I fucking HATE children, with a bleeding, black, ulcerous passion, and everyone in my AO knows it.
I don't know if you meant this as some kind of sick joke - but it doesn't matter really as you have a history of being unable to follow the rules.

It's ironic you don't seem to like children because your post can be seen as a childish scream for attention.

The reaction of your fellow forum users should give you pause for thought as should your time on probation.
Man is a beast of prey

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 am

This short animation should help...

Tell the little kid,
You- "What did the door say to the lost kid?"

Kid- " What?"

Door - "SLAM!"

But seriously, a real little kid I would look around and check next door neighbors for the parent, if no response call 911.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 am

Not quite the same, but I was walking with my daughters to go fishing at a local pond, and saw a 2 year old, in a diaper, on his training wheeled bike on the sidewalk, en route to our fishing hole. I didn't see a single adult around, so I waved, smiled and asked him where he lived. Of course he pointed to the opposite direction whence he came, so we started the door to door. It was the second house I tried (the one with the open garage door) and no, they had no idea he was gone. They thanked us and we went along our way, but every time I pass by the house, I get a hearty wave and hello from the grandparents (whose house it is). I used this as a lesson to let my girls know what their boundaries were in our neighborhood.

I guess having small children, I know all the kids in the neighborhood as we are always out riding bikes, walking, etc. If one of them showed up at my house, I would know who to call. If a random kid showed up at my door, I would ask them where they live or their phone number to call their folks, but the chances of it being a small enough child to warrant more concern than conversation with the kid is pretty remote almost anywhere you live. By 5, most of my daughters' friends had their phone numbers memorized and were smart enough to not go beyond the boundaries they have been given (or at least get caught doing it). The little boys/girls that I know that break those boundaries are old enough to know how to get home and certainly do not go to strange houses and knock.

You also have to realize that children are horrible actors, so being convincing enough to set up a nefarious plot, I imagine, would take year and years of practice as children just are not inherently evil and it would have to be taught through attempts. The odds are very, very low of that occuring. Much less than the possibility of a hurricane, but one step above a zombie apocalypse. :wink:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm used to little kids knocking on our door.... usually my little daughter's friends... even if it was a kid I never seen before I wouldn't know the difference. I'd yell for my girls and they would go outside and play.
Now if it was a toddler like less than 5 years of age I'd probably yell for the wife and let her handle it. We actually had this happen once some small child at our door asking if we had kids she can play with. No shirt and just a diaper probably around 3 years old. I told my wife not to let her in the parents may think your kidnapping if they are around. Sure enough the parents saw their child from their car at our door and came and got her. Not apologizing just an "oh there you are...".
I asked my wife how do we know if they were the parents.....

I went over to a buddies house one day and there was this little Mexican boy about 5 years old sitting on his porch. I asked who is this kid and my buddy says he comes over everyday at this time and hangs out because his parents locks him out of the house so they can sleep.... some parents just don't give a shit..... my buddy and his wife was always nice enough to watch him till the parents finally woke up and they boy would walk home about a block away. The boy was well mannered and respectful. I wondered where he got it from....
Sometimes I'd like to set loose our dog on these kids, but he weighs maybe 5 pounds and licking really doesn't scare anyone...
Last edited by ausher on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm

ausher wrote:I'm used to little kids knocking on our door.... usually my little daughter's friends... even if it was a kid I never seen before I wouldn't know the difference. I'd yell for my girls and they would go outside and play.
Now if it was a toddler like less than 5 years of age I'd probably yell for the wife and let her handle it. We actually had this happen once some small child at our door asking if we had kids she can play with. No shirt and just a diaper probably around 3 years old. I told my wife not to let her in the parents may think your kidnapping if they are around. Sure enough the parents saw their child from their car at our door and came and got her. Not apologizing just an "oh there you are...".
Sometimes I'd like to set loose our dog on these kids, but he weighs maybe 5 pounds and licking really doesn't scare anyone...
I used to set loose my dog on neighborhood kids when I lived in El Paso, but that's because she really, really, really loves kids and they used to ask to play with her.

Not because I'm some sick twisted piece of shit or anything.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
ausher wrote:I'm used to little kids knocking on our door.... usually my little daughter's friends... even if it was a kid I never seen before I wouldn't know the difference. I'd yell for my girls and they would go outside and play.
I used to set loose my dog on neighborhood kids when I lived in El Paso, but that's because she really, really, really loves kids and they used to ask to play with her.

Not because I'm some sick twisted piece of shit or anything.
My 52lb pit bull mix has this nasty habit of chewing on toes. Especially of kids who are under 3 years old.

She seems to think they have a flavor that she needs to nom on. And it's funny to watch a kid smack her in the head, her stop, look up, and then when the kid quits squealing, she noms some more.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Having your dog as an attack dog on anyone is too much of a liability. Its a sure way to get a law suit, jail time and the death penalty for your dog...

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

ausher wrote:The boy was well mannered and respectful. I wondered where he got it from...
Probably the same place a lot of my friends did growing up. Themselves. This particular kid seems a bit young to have figured it out, but a lot of my friends from high school and younger had some pretty f*'d up parents. They just kept telling themselves "I ain't gonna be my dad/mom. I'm better than that." and they meant it. Some got it from teachers, sports coaches, etc.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

phractal

Post by phractal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm

My front yard alone is over 5 acres and fenced with barbed wire, electric fencing, and in ground dog fencing. There's not a person within 5 miles that doesn't know my dog roams the farm. Most people on the south end of the island have lived here for at least 30 years or more. It's pretty obvious where to and not to go. The rest is natural selection. I ain't too worried. That's what home owners insurance is for.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:51 pm

phractal wrote:Most people on the south end of the island have lived here for at least 30 years or more. It's pretty obvious where to and not to go. The rest is natural selection. I ain't too worried. That's what home owners insurance is for.
Well, that wouldn't cover the occasional toddler that was unable to read. Also, and this is a rule that ZS had to start implementing before you got here, we're not allowed to use the phrases "natural selection", "darwin award", or espouse a crass, callous attitude toward the deaths of children.

As you know, the moderators have a graduated system for rule infractions, and none of those steps involve public shaming. For example, a moderator couldn't call you a pathetic fuck or tell you to get the fuck off our message boards.

Because they have rules.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm

phractal wrote:My front yard alone is over 5 acres and fenced with barbed wire, electric fencing, and in ground dog fencing. There's not a person within 5 miles that doesn't know my dog roams the farm. Most people on the south end of the island have lived here for at least 30 years or more. It's pretty obvious where to and not to go. The rest is natural selection. I ain't too worried. That's what home owners insurance is for.
It wouldn't just be home owners insurance, you'd likely go to prison.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/03/11/dog- ... z2PLKHcSBg

Dog Owners Face Life In Jail If Pet Kills Child Or Elderly (*Click*)

Dog kills baby, dog's owner gets jail term (*Click*)

Perhaps you wouldn't be devastated if your dog killed a child (or any other innocent person for that matter), so that's why there are now laws to personally devastate you to bring you inline with everyone else for whom this would be a big deal.

You may hate children, that's fine. Don't have any. One thing you should probably know is that most people hate others who hurt children or encourage their dogs to maul them with a bleeding, black, ulcerous passion.

Even violent criminals hate such people. That's why typically when they lock such people up they have to put such people someplace else to keep them from getting victimized themselves.

Something to think about before you use your dog as a weapon.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Groucho
Favorite Zombie Movies: original Dawn of the Dead

Post by Groucho » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm nuetral on the subject of children, but they really seem to like me for some reason. I think I would be calling 911. My neighbor I didn't get along with would let his kid roam around when his wife wasn't home. The kid was on my porch one chilly day in the rain with no coat. From inside I told him to go home and got a firm "No!" as an asnwer. I knocked on the glass of the screen door with my knuckle and ordered him home not trying to scare the kid. He left crying anyway and his father showed up shortly threatening to kill me, mess me up, etc. I assured him I'd inform his wife, who was a decent person, how well he looked after the boy when she wasn't home. I was sure many of the neighbors had seem the child wandering around. I ended up talking with the state police about the death threat so I should have just called them to begin with. At the time I lived in pretty wild neighborhood.
Three men and a woman trapped in a building, send help. If you can't send help send two more women. Groucho Marx-Duck Soup

USAF SP 72-77,US Army reserves 84-92

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:05 pm

phractal wrote:It's pretty obvious where to and not to go. The rest is natural selection. I ain't too worried. That's what home owners insurance is for.
No, this is not OK. You can have whatever opinion you damn well please, but if you can't engage your stupid filter on the forums you get the dunce cap. Please moderate your posting to avoid illegal and/or inflammatory statements or you will be banned.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Most of you guys are awesome and decent folks. One of you is not.

In an unrelated matter, I've never seen a homeowner's policy (or *any* insurance policy) that covers intentional acts. Also, insurance does not keep one out of prison.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

closingresponse

Post by closingresponse » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 am

Basically what everyone has said already, lots of great things to think about and consider.

Ok, I'll edit..

To the one unsavory person who ruined this thread, you are a very bad person.

:evil:
Last edited by closingresponse on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
gravediggerfour wrote:I save mine and mix it with Unicorn semen and rainbow tears. I use this mixture to lube my AR.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am

closingresponse wrote: Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
While I appreciate your zeal, you may want to take a look at the rules of the forum too, since you're breaking one of them.
Last edited by elricfate on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieSquad Reservist

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 am

closingresponse wrote:To the fucker who ruined this thread: you are what is wrong with this world. You can eat shit and die, and your dog too.
No reason to wish doom on an innocent dog because their owner has some type of mental pathology.
majorhavoc wrote:Short of an apocalyptic world, I can confidently say my response will always be: take the child's hand and cheerfully say: "Well hello there sweetheart! Let's go find your mommy and daddy!"
Some interation of this is the correct answer. I would probably just sit on my porch (pretty good view of the surrounding neighborhood) with the kiddo, cell phone in the other hand talking to five-oh. Hang tight until mom and dad show up, but I would probably also ask them to wait around until the cops showed up (if the parents showed up first) to confirm ownership. I would think any reasonable parent would understand that I don't just want to hand over a random kid to the first people that say he/she belongs to them until LE checks them out.

Seriously. Lost little kids get help. If it's some type of ambush I'll congratulate the perps on their deviousness and go down in a blaze of glory.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

closingresponse

Post by closingresponse » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 am

elricfate wrote: While I appreciate your zeal, you may want to take a look at the rules of the forum too, since you're breaking one of them.
Edited my post of zeal. But now you need to edit the quote in your post! :oops:

DannusMaximus wrote:Seriously. Lost little kids get help. If it's some type of ambush I'll congratulate the perps on their deviousness and go down in a blaze of glory.
This.
gravediggerfour wrote:I save mine and mix it with Unicorn semen and rainbow tears. I use this mixture to lube my AR.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:57 am

closingresponse wrote:
elricfate wrote: While I appreciate your zeal, you may want to take a look at the rules of the forum too, since you're breaking one of them.
Edited my post of zeal. But now you need to edit the quote in your post! :oops:

DannusMaximus wrote:Seriously. Lost little kids get help. If it's some type of ambush I'll congratulate the perps on their deviousness and go down in a blaze of glory.
This.
Done, my friend. :-)
ZombieSquad Reservist

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 am

MacAttack wrote: I got scared one day when i met a woman who truly believed that EVERY male who was single was out to touch her little girl in all those wrong ways.
She really believed it.
If her kid ever left her sight for a second she was holding the phone ready to dial the cops about an abduction. Tears in her eyes.

If a kid ever came to my door now, that is all I think about, some mother on the phone right now calling about someone abducting her kid. If I didn't call the cops right then and there my fanny could be answering a LOT of questions in some police station because that bat would be screaming to all hell to make sure I was questioned if not polygraphed to make sure I never ever touched her kid.
She even accused her own husband of raping her. That's why they got a divorce. He had proof, he was at work, out of town.

That one incident has scared the crap out of me. Strange kids are not something I even want to be alone with, ever.
That woman is bad news. Given enough time someone like that will start accusing cops of improprieties and make a mess of the investigation. That gets fixed when such a person gets "the boy that cried wolf" reputation.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 pm

If I saw that, it would be the end of the dog. A viable alternative would be to stay inside, call 911 and report an unattended toddler roaming the neighborhood.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 pm

mariposa wrote:
If I saw that, it would be the end of the dog. A viable alternative would be to stay inside, call 911 and report an unattended toddler roaming the neighborhood.
Agreed.

charadeur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by charadeur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Some times we live in a bubble of paranoia that is of our owing making.

Short of an apocalyptic world, I can confidently say my response will always be: take the child's hand and cheerfully say: "Well hello there sweetheart! Let's go find your mommy and daddy!"
This seems like a reasoned response and exactly what I would do. I am a member of the county SAR team so helping just seems natural. Some of the responses here are pretty sick if you ask me.
I may be the one walking away, but you're the one that's leaving.

Return to “What Would You Do?”