Strangers on the Road - A bugout what if.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 pm

This what if is mostly geared towards people coming from a city or suburbia.

Its been 4 months after 'the event'. Power has been out in your location for almost the entire time, and shortly there after food stopped coming into the cities as the ports closed and fuel ran out or there was no power to pump it with. There has been sporatic violence in the area, but near you, for what ever reason, there have been no large scale attacks by gangs or looters/raiders. Two months ago the water stopped or became otherwise undrinkable without treating it. If you have been able to charge your phone with a biolite or solar charger, you don't get a signal though the GPS still works.

For whatever reason, be it running out of supplies to an increase in violence in your area to even knowledge of an imminent attack on your Bug In Location, you have decided to bug out.

When you are leaving the city you run into another person (or persons) trying to flee as well. They obviously mean you no harm, but seem desperate to travel with you, likely out of fear of being alone. You run into one of these groups:

A young single mother with her daughter. She has a Glock 17 in her waist band, and an old medium alice pack as her bag, though it does not look close to full. Her daughter, maybe three years old, has a small pink Dora the explorer backpack. The young woman is pretty, in good shape though she looks hungry, and has what looks like a USMC tattoo poking out from under her sleeve.

A Couple in their thirties with two children, both boys between eight and ten. Both parents are vaguely overwieght, and both have bruising around their necks and faces. The man has scrapes on his knuckles. Their only obvious weapons are a childs wooden baseball bat and a pink can of pepper spray the woman has. They have gym bags for their bags and the older of the boys is carrying a white garbage bag with clothes. The youngest has nothing.

A group of three teenagers. One is very thin, the other two slightly chubby though they have obviously lost weight recently. Those two look like they might be brothers. All three are in Tacticool gear that you quickly recognize as airsoft equipment, including their faux body armor and helmets. One has a highpoint carbine and the other two have Mosin Nagants. One has a fixed bayonet. The skinny kid also has some of those paintball smoke grenades in grenade pouches. They each have a small normal backpack, such as a jansport, which looks strange with the rest of their gear. The packs are obviously not very full.

An older man, perhaps sixty. He is thin and wears old but well made clothes. Offering a slight limp, there is a bulge under his pants that suggest bandages over his left thigh. He has an AK-47 and a small laptop bag for his bag. He looks very tired, and the bags under his eyes suggest he has not slept in a few days.

An older woman, perhaps in her mid fifties. She is slightly chubby, and has a small dog. You think its a poodle, and it watches you cautiously. She has a big purse as her only bag, and is apparently unarmed though she looks nervously at her purse from time to time. She is friendly enough if guarded. The poodle is not friendly at all.

How would you react to these strangers, individually, and would you let any of those groups come with you, or offer them any sort of aid? Why, or why not?

Thanks!

PrepperThyAngus

Re: Strangers on the Road - A bugout what if.

Post by PrepperThyAngus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Young woman and daughter - I'd have to think about this one the most. Being that the woman is is USMC is certainly a big plus. However, the small child would certainly slow us down if were were to team up. The child is also good for nothing but eating and drinking stuff. After careful consideration I would probably offer help and team up with them because the USMC woman could be a valuable asset that will outweigh the cons of having a small child. Hopefully once we find more team members or a community, the child can be taken care of by other, while the mother would provide valuable skills and experience from her military training.

Couple and two sons - This is another tough one. After re-hydrating the family and getting their strength back, the 30 y/o father and teenage sons could provide lots of man power that would be required post-shtf. Being they have no supplies would certainly cause an issue but I believe the man power for food/water/security details would pay off in the end.

Three teenage boys - Of all the choices, I would certainly pick this option. These guys are young, strong, and have decades of help they can provide to a group or community. Having young, strong men to help with obtaining/growing food, obtaining water, and help with security would be valuable asset to a community. They can help setup shelters and take instructions well (hopefully.) Despite your average teenage rebelliousness, in a STHF scenario most people, teenagers included, would be more than willing to help out as much as they can if it means they can be provided for and having feelings of being safe.

Old man - I'd keep walking

Old woman - I'd keep walking

Bottom line, I would help out anyone who seem harmless and would provide assets to myself or my group. if the old man or woman had an important skill that I can see such as medic, engineer, or hunting or something then I can see letting them tag along.

Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 am

Hey Das.. didn't know you were on here too.

Anyway... lets take a look....

First off I would not render any of them aid. Whats mine is mine and its limited so unless I can get a return on my investment, I'm not going to give away my stuff. If they could be useful to me and if I think I could trust them..... thats a different story. For most of these people, I would walk with them for a while.. chat and if I didn't like how things were going, I'd say goodbye and wish them luck.

Young woman and daughter - I like this one.. she had a Glock! I like her military training so her skill would be valuable. She has something worth protecting, her daughter. That gives her a reason to carry on. Never underestimate a Mother protecting her young.

A Couple in their thirties with two children - Not sure about them. From the sound of it they were in a scrape and may have lost... this may be a morale buster or it might be an incentive to not let it happen again. I'd like to know what they did for a living. They obviously are not well armed.

A group of three teenagers - The airsoft equipment says they may have at least some experience at basic tactics from playing "war games". Their weapons are also of interest. I would think you might find teenagers armed with 22s or such but their weapons say to me that they may have been starting on the prepper path. I would like to keep an eye on them and see how mature, reliable and honest they would be.

An older man - I like him too. He has a serious weapon but his clothes and bag tell me he isn't one of these guys who is waiting for the PAW so he can go play GI Joe for real. His age says that he may have knowledge and experience that could be a help. I would chat with him and suggest that the group try to find some place to get some rest and see how he looks after.

An older woman - No. I hate rat dogs... they are another mouth to feed and can't really help out the way a big dog could. These little dogs also yap all the time... not something you want to deal with when trying to not draw attention. Something about an single older lady with a lap dog just screams to me, she is going to expect you to take care of her and is going to slow you down.

H2L

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 am

Das Sheep wrote: You run into one of these groups:

A young single mother with her daughter. She has a Glock 17 in her waist band, and an old medium alice pack as her bag, though it does not look close to full. Her daughter, maybe three years old, has a small pink Dora the explorer backpack. The young woman is pretty, in good shape though she looks hungry, and has what looks like a USMC tattoo poking out from under her sleeve.

A Couple in their thirties with two children, both boys between eight and ten. Both parents are vaguely overwieght, and both have bruising around their necks and faces. The man has scrapes on his knuckles. Their only obvious weapons are a childs wooden baseball bat and a pink can of pepper spray the woman has. They have gym bags for their bags and the older of the boys is carrying a white garbage bag with clothes. The youngest has nothing.

A group of three teenagers. One is very thin, the other two slightly chubby though they have obviously lost weight recently. Those two look like they might be brothers. All three are in Tacticool gear that you quickly recognize as airsoft equipment, including their faux body armor and helmets. One has a highpoint carbine and the other two have Mosin Nagants. One has a fixed bayonet. The skinny kid also has some of those paintball smoke grenades in grenade pouches. They each have a small normal backpack, such as a jansport, which looks strange with the rest of their gear. The packs are obviously not very full.

An older man, perhaps sixty. He is thin and wears old but well made clothes. Offering a slight limp, there is a bulge under his pants that suggest bandages over his left thigh. He has an AK-47 and a small laptop bag for his bag. He looks very tired, and the bags under his eyes suggest he has not slept in a few days.

An older woman, perhaps in her mid fifties. She is slightly chubby, and has a small dog. You think its a poodle, and it watches you cautiously. She has a big purse as her only bag, and is apparently unarmed though she looks nervously at her purse from time to time. She is friendly enough if guarded. The poodle is not friendly at all.

How would you react to these strangers, individually, and would you let any of those groups come with you, or offer them any sort of aid? Why, or why not?

Thanks!
Hmm, interesting.

For the mother and young daughter- I would see some mommy trying to save her young sympathy from the wife going on. I would likely be interested in this one as well, a marine is a marine.

For the 30 odd couple and kids- I don't see much to be gained or had here. Other then more people to defend and more mouths to feed.

3 Airsoft Teenagers- I see value here. Muscle, muscle for the ZPAW for a few decades. They might have a basic grasp of some sort of combat tactics. Nothing amazing for weaponry but its something.

Old Man & Old Woman- I'd probably be trying to figure out if they would be able to provide any help at all, and if not I'd move on.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 am

The first question would be "What state am I in?" Am I with my full group? How are our supplies? For the sake of this discussion, I'll assume I'm with my full Bug Out Group and we are fully supplied.

For all of these simulations, I would not have my pack and approach the group alone, but with my group in sight. I would also try to show a non-threatening posture.

Mother and young daughter:
- First I'd ASK her if it's a USMC tattoo. Then I'd ask if she needs anything. If it is within reason as the group decides (which if the tattoo is USMC, I'd argue more on her behalf), then we'd give what we decided was reasonable to her. Then I'd ask her plans of where she's going and see if there's anything else with which we could help. I would consider offering them a place within the group depending on skill set.

- 2 Parents and children. Again, approach non-threatening and find out their story. Offer first aid. Offer some minor items (lighter, extra water bottle with water, snare wire, etc). I'd probably even throw them one of the group's extra copies of a survival manual. Wish them good luck and I leave with my group. I would not consider offering them a place within the group. Too many mouths to feed.

- 3 Teenagers. First yell "GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!!" Then the same as the last group: Offer some minor items (lighter, extra water bottle with water, snare wire, etc). I'd probably even throw them one of the group's extra copies of a survival manual. Wish them good luck and I leave with my group. I would not consider offering them a place within the group. Too many mouths to feed.

- Old man. Offer first aid. Talk to him and find out what he did and what skills he may possess. Wisdom and knowledge cannot be overlooked in an "event". If the group decides his knowledge and skills would enhance the group, we'd probably make a litter behind one of the horses to pull him behind us. Otherwise, the same as the last groups (minus the manual if he already has that knowledge). I would consider offering him a place within the group depending on skill set.

- Old woman. Same as the old man above but probably with a manual. :) I would consider offering her a place within the group depending on skill set.

Taking on 1-2 people would add some stress to my group. But with my group's diversity, I don't see it being a major impact. It would have to be a group decisions (unanimous, not a majority) to bring in new people. I plan on carrying a few items for trade and these are the items I would part with to help the people above. Also within the group we would have duplicates of items (such as manuals) and we could easily part with 1-2 without impacting the groups chances of success.

DISCLAIMER: There are lots of factors which would decide if I approached them, but for the sake of this scenario I'm assuming the decision to approach them was already made by the group.
Last edited by NamelessStain on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:49 am

As far as joining forces it would depend on their personality's. Someone could be very well prepared and still be an absolute drag to be around, irritating as all hell and/or have little common sense. Plus just because they own something doesn't mean that they're any good with it or that they know how to use it.

Out of what little info we have to go off of the single former Marine mother and the older guy with the AK are the top two I'd be interesting in teaming up with. The Marine Corps mom will at the very least be current on firearms training and the older guy might have training, been in combat and have a lifetime of hunting experience. He's obviously injured, but still moving. This may slow us down though. His skill-set and degree of his injury would factor into this. As far as her daughter goes that's not too big of a drawback and she might be someone for my son to play with. Kids need other kids.

The three teenagers would be next for reasons already mentioned. With teenagers though you have to be kind of careful. They may have their own preconceived ideas and they could try to just take want they wanted. Just because they're young doesn't mean much. They could be be Eagle Scouts with a strong set of morals or they might be budding Columbine type potential killers interested in all things dark. More than likely they're somewhere in between, but it still pays to be cautious. With teenagers many times a random thought immediately translates into action and they may try to victimize you and your family if they're desperate enough. Again, their personality types are more important that what they're carrying.

As far as the overweight couple with the kids go unless they were MD's, Physicians Assistant's, Nurses or Dentists and going off of available info in the OP it doesn't sound like either had much to offer in the way of weapons, gear or food and it sounds like the entire family might be more trouble than they're worth. I have a bit of a soft spot for kids and I might do what I could for them and then continue to move forward, but I don't think they'd be coming with us.

As far as the older woman with the dog the same comments apply. She might have some really useful skill that sets her apart from all the rest. Not everything's about guns and gear, there are plenty of other skill-sets where a person can contribute to the group. However just going off of available info I don't think she'd be coming with us. Little dogs are useful in that they don't require much food and they can provide an early warning system of sorts, but if it barks all the time that defeats the purpose of having it in such a situation.

All in all I'd basically have to go off what my gut told me about them as people. Plus are they even interested in joining together? They may not be. They also might be headed in a completely different direction. We might trade something, talk a bit and we'd try to get as much info as possible about local conditions and go our separate ways.

What we'd do would also depend on what the long view was in if the emergency might end and if things might go back to normal.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Given the limited information at hand I actualy think I might (dependant on more information) actualy take them all for one reason or another.
The young mother, is she actualy Ex or current USMC or was her Husband/boyfriend/brother? I'm not sure how it generaly works in the USA but some times civilians have military tats if they are family to show support.
Needless to say she has a reason to survive, to fight and she knows that in a pack the survival rate is higher.

The old guy with the AK?
Well he interests me very much, he has survived, probably dressed his own wound and probably has a set jaw. I doubt he's a loner but he's probably lost someone as well, he could very easily surrogate onto my pack and become a member worth his wieght in gold.

The old lady? She's probably got a .44 magnum in her purse but she bothers me, there is something about your description that makes me pause as if she's setting us up for an ambush. She's scared, maybe thats all it is but that means approach with caution.
If she is clean, that little dog would make an amazing early warning system and did you notice it isn't barking at you? The lady must have skills as well, how else did she survive. This one is the least likely of a pack membership though.

The three teens? They already understand the pack mentality, that is good. Give them a chance and they could very easily become great members of the pack.

The chunky family? They've taken damn good care of themselves up till now if they are still well fed! There is more here than you can see right away, but it is a family already so although the packs may team up temporarily I'm not sure we'ld stay together once our mutual need had been met. More than likely we might hunker down close to each others camps in the end though. There is obvious proof that they have fought off attackers recently and are certainly interested in mutual pack protection as well so the team up could last a while.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

J D

Post by J D » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Been a while since I've seen a good WWYD that piqued my interest.

First case with the woman and child I'd have to say that she's my first round draft pick. I have to say that IF IT IS a USMC tattoo her training is invaluable, and the fact that she has a child means that you can almost always know where her priorities are, which gives me more control over her.

Second case of the poorly set up family, would tug in my heart, and probably haunt my sleep, but it will be a hard no. The number of mouths to feed, with no discernible skills that could help later on is a major factor. The Bruising throws a flag because, if its a domestic issue, it could be something that polarizes my group over time.

The group of boys is a tough one, while I can understand the future value is there, while we're on the road to a safer location, I see the boys as a threat/liability. I was a teen not so long ago, and thinking back to then as a headstrong know-it-all, especially so in my clique. I think if a disagreement arose, be it our direction, or even ration size, it not only could get physical, and the guys could potentially go lord of the flies on us. Worst case scenario is someone gets stabbed with a bayonet and best case, they angrily sneak off in the night with some supplies to go their own way. I'd throw them a survival handbook, and maybe an MRE and send them on their way. Now if we were already at our destination, and they approached us there, I might take them in, having switched my mind from caravan mode to rebuilding mode. The danger of what I mentioned is still there but teens may be more pliable living under a familiar "my house, my rules" situation that offers safety from the road, and where we would be better able to keep our eyes on newcomers.

The old man I'd probably snap up though. Depending on who he is, he seems to survive well enough on his own. Perhaps he even knows his firearm, or maybe just happened to pick it up off of a dead guy. All in all, he wont eat as much as the other options. I'll tender some first aid, and at least want to hear his story, and perhaps learn if he has any valuable skills. If he did, I'll invite him along, and start learning. If not, he can still come along, because an extra pair of eyes is not a bad thing, but then probably leave him off to go his own way before getting to our destination.

Lastly, the Old Lady is probably a leave behind. With no discernible skills, and a dog, which could be yappy as small dogs normally are. I'd tender first aid, try to engage her to see if she had any skills to offer. Fifty fifty over whether or not to bring her though, as a pair of hands is nice to have, and the fact that she is not trusting outwardly, is a good thing.

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Anyone still up and mobile after 4 months has either got some worth while skills or a trick up their sleeve. Either way, all of them are potential assets. They ain't none of them a liability to me. I can handle my own shit.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

Gramaton Cleric
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
quarantine
diary of the dead

Post by Gramaton Cleric » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 pm

phractal wrote:Anyone still up and mobile after 4 months has either got some worth while skills or a trick up their sleeve. Either way, all of them are potential assets. They ain't none of them a liability to me. I can handle my own shit.
Amen to that.
NRA LIFE, NRA Pistol Instructor.
Aim small, Miss small.
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

A lot of y'all seem to have way too much faith in the willingness of noncombat troops to train.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Interesting discussion. People are making a lot of assumptions.

and has what looks like a USMC tattoo poking out from under her sleeve. The tattoo may read "My girlfriend is a Marine." It may not be a Marine Corps tattoo at all. Maybe she was a breeder of English Bulldogs before the event.

If she was a Marine, how would you react if you invited her to join and she started telling you what a mall ninja you were?

Good pick up that the bruising on the neck might also indicate domestic violence. Also, the boys are 8 and 10, not teenagers, unless this PAW scenario comes with a growth ray.

The purse may contain her medicines or jewelry or a big hand canon.

I'll have to think on this one.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 pm

J D wrote: First case with the woman and child ... which gives me more control over her.
Um, no, I gotta respectfully disagree. Ever seen a mother protecting her young?

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm

I've seen a shitload of USMC tats, never once seen a tat that said..'My girlfriend's [significant other] in the USMC'.

Also just because they're alive and overweight after 4 months doesn't mean that they have any survival skills. They might have owned that Italian bakery over on Live Oak and been eating a whole lot of wedding cake and cannoli ever since only to have to leave because their business was set on fire. They were jumped right after, but managed to escape relatively unharmed. That's how they both got the bruises, why they're walking and why their youngest has no bag. Four months really isn't that long.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:44 pm

WOW! Well played, well thought out well put. I loved the descriptions you gave of your "groups" I can picture it.

Overall... I believe that here is strength in numbers and what skills I lack can be brought to the table by another in a group. Also, having someone to watch your back or help you out along the way in a cooperative manner is a plus and all of those thoughts go both ways, my way and visa-verse :) SO this thought process influences my thoughts on running into a person or persons on a bug out. Now, to get on with the question answering LOL.
Das Sheep wrote: A young single mother with her daughter. She has a Glock 17 in her waist band, and an old medium alice pack as her bag, though it does not look close to full. Her daughter, maybe three years old, has a small pink Dora the explorer backpack. The young woman is pretty, in good shape though she looks hungry, and has what looks like a USMC tattoo poking out from under her sleeve.
These pieces to the puzzle here being "What looks like a USMC tattoo poking out from under her sleeve", "Glock 17" and "old medium ALICE pack as her bag" give me the impression that perhaps this woman who is in "good shape" could very possibly be military, be USMC and her experience in the armed forces could be invaluable during my exodus, however, she has a very small daughter and this could be a problem, or it could be helpful because this "woman" if she is military already has the training and then she has a child to protect so her "fight" drive could be increased when facing danger.
I would flat out ask her if she was military... if she was GREAT, if she wasn't... she is still worth the chance and I can't leave a toddler starving in the dirt at my feet and she could still be an asset if she knows how to use that Glock.
Overall, my decision is to take a chance on the woman and her Dora the Explorer backpack toting toddler is a positive decision and I offer the woman to join me on my journey after talking with her and feeling her out as far as her level of determination, intent and fear.
Obviously this couple has run into a scrape or two along the way and they are still here so they are already ahead of the game in my opinion.
Even though they have children and are only carrying a baseball bat and a mace can... those can still be assets. Children of that age are great for mules and great for grunt work along the trail. They can gather wood and carry the load LOL. The baseball bat, if swung with force can do some damage and either have an assailant pissing blood for a week when he gets hit in the kidney from behind, or cause a crater in the top of a skull. Mace hurts like hell and unless you got water and even a little milk to put out the fire of that stuff, it's gonna last a while and it's gonna give me and the group extra time to escape while the assailant is rolling around in the dirt rubbing his eyes and making it worse.
With the right instruction and a little on the fly training these two people can work with the weapons they have.
Think about it for a minute... First of all by the damaged knuckles... the man knows how to throw a punch. Put a ball bat in his hands and while the enemy is trying to deal with me since I would have the only firearms in the group, making me the most eminent threat to the enemy, he can come up from behind and BAM right in the side of the head. We can always pick up weapons along the way from those who fall in our path from either my cover fire or the sneak up and sucker smash from the ball bat LOL!
The woman and her pink mace... keep it tucked in her pocket so an approaching threat doesn't see it, and women are often viewed as less of a threat and are also often confronted quickly and even threatened with a little forced foreplay... the second the threat is within range... spray him and her hubby runs in with his baseball bat to give him a family jewel makeover!
The kids can even serve as distractions and be the wielders of makeshift spears and throwing sticks.
It is not a completely helpless group. There is enough there to work with and a little ingenuity goes a long way.
Also... if all the clothes are in this sack the kid is carrying... what is in the duffel bags? Could be food, water, medical supplies... could be lots of goodies that would come in handy and give a little comfort along the way.
Point is... this is not a hopeless group and I feel that they may have something to offer me if I include them in my journey to my BOL.
I take a chance on this group and ask them to join me on my journey.
At least in "Red Dawn" the Charlie Sheen and the rest of the teenagers had their shit together thanks to Grandpa's sporting goods store out in the middle of nowhere lol! These teenagers are not at all impressive in their faux body armor but those smoke grenades would come in handy in a pinch, so would the highpoint carbine and Mosin Nagants, however, I am still not sure that this group would be a wise invitation to my own travels. I can't tell if they are really taking the situation seriously given their equipment (air soft) because why bother with wasting carrying capacity with such equipment when it isn't going to stop a bullet or deflect a quick stab from a knife. It is a waste except to look cool and intimidating (kind of). Their choice in garb has me leery. Are they trying to be serious or are they just trying to look intimidating, and intimidating to who? Up close, as an enemy, it would be hard to take them seriously when I saw what they are wearing LOL!
I don't know, too many things are raising flags with me here.
I might talk with them a little and get a feel for their plans and their state of mind but even then teenagers can be misleading so it would take some serious thought and mulling over. I would need a day or two of feeling them out to make up my mind or not but if things are bad I don't know that I would have the time to waste getting to know this small band of air soft warriors.
I need serious survivors on my side, in my group, and air soft is a game and who knows, these teenagers, regardless of their weaponry, could be playing a game of Black Ops in their own little minds... I would pass on this group if it was all a Playstation 3 reality for them... but if I did have the time to pick their brains and get to know their serious plans and ideas and they proved their metal then then I would indeed invite them along for the ride because that highpoint carbine and Mosin Nagants and Smoke bombs can truly be a godsend in the right hands, I would just have to hope that those airsoft warriors knew how to use those weapons as well as they knew how to use an airsoft rifle :)
This group gets further analysis before passing or inviting.
Just because he is sixty doesn't mean he is "over the hill" and useless and is just dead weight, he deserves some thought.
His suggested injury is what is going to hinder him and if I take him on, hinder me as well.
The injury is the sole reason why I would have to pass on this man BUT I might hook him up with the older lady with the poodle and hope they become traveling companions LOL!
I would, however, offer to look at his leg to see if there is anything I can do to help him along. If the injury really isn't that detrimental then I may change my mind about his joining me. But if there is no power and no trucks running supplies there is no antibiotics and that means this mans likelihood for infection resulting from his injury skyrockets.
I am afraid I am going to have to offer my assistance for his wound and walk on.
She obviously appears to be suspicious and fearful and her dog is as well. She is a flat out pass!
The dog could give us away in a E&E scenario and I doubt she is going to want to give it up for safety or for food so the dog is a hindrance and a problem.
She may be looking nervously at her purse because she has something in it for me or she thinks I am going to mug her... either way... I don't care, she is a problem. Her fear and suspicious behavior is problematic and could cause safety and security issues. She is a complete pass.
Last edited by tookieblueeyes on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learning is an ongoing process.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I'd spend at least a few hours walking with each, trying to glean as much info as possible to aid in the decision, but based on the info given here are my choices.

Single mother and small child: I don't think I'd be able to leave them at sleep at night, little kids have too much of an effect on me. So I hope she really is USMC and has some combat training.

Family: It'd be hard but they don't seem to offer anything, and that's a lot of mouths to feed. Unless it's revealed that there will be some serious benefit for letting them travel with me then I'll pass.

Teenagers: I can see this one going either way. They could be rebellious little punks that more liability then they'll ever be worth. They could also be scared and doing the best they can and would love to follow someone else's orders. I'd have to make that judgement call in the few hours I travel with them.

Old man: He may have years of experience and know his gun very well. Or he could have been an accountant and had the AK sitting in his closet for a couple decades and never used it before SHTF. I'd have to see.

Old woman: Nothing in the description makes me think she's a good idea to keep around.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A lot of y'all seem to have way too much faith in the willingness of noncombat troops to train.

Not everyone has to be a combatant. You should know this Doc :) Support, knowledge, wisdom, medical and horticulture (among many others) all have their places is a successful society.

The old man may be a farmer. The old lady may be a herbalist. We don't know. The chance we take is getting to know them and finding out their value. My concerns were based on mouths to feed and the impact on my group as we move to our final BOL.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A lot of y'all seem to have way too much faith in the willingness of noncombat troops to train.

Not everyone has to be a combatant. You should know this Doc :) Support, knowledge, wisdom, medical and horticulture (among many others) all have their places is a successful society.

The old man may be a farmer. The old lady may be a herbalist. We don't know. The chance we take is getting to know them and finding out their value. My concerns were based on mouths to feed and the impact on my group as we move to our final BOL.
Several specifically mentioned "combat training" and "a Marine is a Marine" and in my experience, no.

This whole scenario seems a bit contrived (duh) and rely totally on snap judgement.

Problems: I'm alone, right? I'm headed to my BOL? This is a shitstorm. why the fuck did I wait four months after some catastrophic event to go to my BOL. That place is probably overrun, and now I'm all alone. Alone=dead. That's not much of a problem, because everyone I know and love, including my hardass neighbors and the Geezers with Guns at the LGS have all been killed off. Now I'm waltzing down the road in plain sight, alone, and a group of people approach me, desperate to travel with me. We are all unable to talk, so in true paperback form, I look them over one by one, and choose those I deem worthy to join me on my quest. Not once does anyone see my AR and shit themselves, since I'm apparently the only surviving Stone Cold Muthafucka on the planet. Instead, I instill just enough for that none of them dare shoot the lone road warrior, but instead decide that I must be their messiah, answer to their prayers.

Lucky they are, for I can take a handful of clues from their age and make baseless assumptions. Never mind that i could just stop and talk to them, offer some water, share information about whence came I, and ask for information regarding their origins and destination. Dialogue be damned, I'm a HERO! With a few pelvic thrusts, I decide that all of them will come with me. together we as a ragtag band will build a new civilization together. Doctopia!

I decide to name them all.
Candy Stripes: single mother, former Marine, more recently a stripper with a heart of gold. Rather than shooting me on sight to protect her child, she immediately joins with me. Of course she has combat training, never you mind that she only rifle qualified twice and never left CONUS. she will be a valuable ally. Her child I name Spud Stripes, because she looks rather potato like. Spud will be our mascot, a symbol of hope and rebirth amidst chaos.

Next are John and Jane Everyman, and their children Boscoe and Elroy. John was a cage fighter by night, and a highschool gym teacher by day. His wife was a teacher as well, specializing in, as luck would have it historical homesteading. it's not a common course, actually, only being taught at the college nearby and nowhere else in the world. Their children are bright eyed little sluggers, and eagerly pledge their loyalty to Doctopia.

Now come the airsoft kiddies. I decide to name the brothers Vasili and Sergei. They will be my eagle-eyed snipers. their Mosins once freed Europe, and now will free doctopia from whatever the hell this grat bg world-ending event was. the third one I name Kiff. Kiff is a scraggly thing, but his Hipoint is perfect for all our CQB needs. I shall train him as we travel.

Next is Gramps and Gam-Gam. I have decided they will marry and be our hardened, wise elders. They will be my counsel as I rule Doctopia. We eat the dog for lunch, then head onward toward Walmart!

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Several specifically mentioned "combat training" and "a Marine is a Marine" and in my experience, no.

This whole scenario seems a bit contrived (duh) and rely totally on snap judgement.

Problems: I'm alone, right? I'm headed to my BOL? This is a shitstorm. why the fuck did I wait four months after some catastrophic event to go to my BOL. That place is probably overrun, and now I'm all alone. Alone=dead. That's not much of a problem, because everyone I know and love, including my hardass neighbors and the Geezers with Guns at the LGS have all been killed off. Now I'm waltzing down the road in plain sight, alone, and a group of people approach me, desperate to travel with me. We are all unable to talk, so in true paperback form, I look them over one by one, and choose those I deem worthy to join me on my quest. Not once does anyone see my AR and shit themselves, since I'm apparently the only surviving Stone Cold Muthafucka on the planet. Instead, I instill just enough for that none of them dare shoot the lone road warrior, but instead decide that I must be their messiah, answer to their prayers.

Lucky they are, for I can take a handful of clues from their age and make baseless assumptions. Never mind that i could just stop and talk to them, offer some water, share information about whence came I, and ask for information regarding their origins and destination. Dialogue be damned, I'm a HERO! With a few pelvic thrusts, I decide that all of them will come with me. together we as a ragtag band will build a new civilization together. Doctopia!

I decide to name them all.
Candy Stripes: single mother, former Marine, more recently a stripper with a heart of gold. Rather than shooting me on sight to protect her child, she immediately joins with me. Of course she has combat training, never you mind that she only rifle qualified twice and never left CONUS. she will be a valuable ally. Her child I name Spud Stripes, because she looks rather potato like. Spud will be our mascot, a symbol of hope and rebirth amidst chaos.

Next are John and Jane Everyman, and their children Boscoe and Elroy. John was a cage fighter by night, and a highschool gym teacher by day. His wife was a teacher as well, specializing in, as luck would have it historical homesteading. it's not a common course, actually, only being taught at the college nearby and nowhere else in the world. Their children are bright eyed little sluggers, and eagerly pledge their loyalty to Doctopia.

Now come the airsoft kiddies. I decide to name the brothers Vasili and Sergei. They will be my eagle-eyed snipers. their Mosins once freed Europe, and now will free doctopia from whatever the hell this grat bg world-ending event was. the third one I name Kiff. Kiff is a scraggly thing, but his Hipoint is perfect for all our CQB needs. I shall train him as we travel.

Next is Gramps and Gam-Gam. I have decided they will marry and be our hardened, wise elders. They will be my counsel as I rule Doctopia. We eat the dog for lunch, then head onward toward Walmart!
Bravo! I'd pay a dollar to see that movie!
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Fuck, that's awesome dude. :)

I chuckled a bit when I first read it and my wife asked me what was so funny so I read her the OP and your post. The more I read out loud the funnier it got. We both almost shit ourselves.
:lol: :clap:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Good luck with your "everyone is a combatant" dictatorship, Docc. Yea, it's a movie already. A really cheesy movie called "The Postman".

I'm not sure what's happened to you when I use to send you packages when you were deployed. You're just not the same person.

Good luck bud. I wish you the best.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Good luck with your "everyone is a combatant" dictatorship, Docc. Yea, it's a movie already. A really cheesy movie called "The Postman".

I'm not sure what's happened to you when I use to send you packages when you were deployed. You're just not the same person.

Good luck bud. I wish you the best.
I think we're reading the same text and interpreting it differently. At the end of the day, I think the premise of the thread is sort of silly. The idea that you would/could/should cherry pick people to travel with you in an unknown scenario based on looking at them is sort of ridiculous. There's no more reason to assume a female with what appears to be a USMC tattoo (which by the way, could also be "USMC Wife" or "03-Mommy" I've seen both) would be of any more use in a gunfight than Gramps and his AK, or Kiff and the twins with their HiPernt and Mosins. I keep referring to a gunfight, because combat training was specifically enumerated by several posters. Furthermore, you can't look at a person and assume they might know a thing or two about farming or hunting with any degree of accuracy. You might be able to make an informed guess, but unless you know them, or something they are wearing is a dead clue (like a 4H ring, or specialized tool that only a ______ would know how to use/carry) then you're still guessing.

I don't guess when it comes to relying on people. Guessing gets you killed, whether because you starved to death because you picked up extra mouths to feed that you hoped could help, and instead turned out to be lazy, stupid, or downright backstabbing guttersnipes, or because you decided to walk up to a big group of people and got gutshot because it's been four months since [mysterious unknown event] and whoever you walked up on felt threatened and pulled the trigger.

Personally, if the stars align and this sort of thing happens, and for some reason I become the sole-survivor of my group and I have to take off down The Road all alone, and I see groups of people walking around, I'd be inclined to walk over and say howdy, maybe see if we can stop and brew some tea in the shade. If I get gutshot, I won't be too upset, because everyone and everything I loved is dead and gone as a result of [mysterious event].

For what it's worth, I rather liked "The Postman" as a book and a movie. If I ever get around to writing a full novel, and someone says "That was as bad as "The Postman" I'll be happy, though I tend toward a bit more sarcasm.

Also FWIW, I believe alone=dead regardless of whether it's a warzone or being lost in the woods. Alone means no hope, no one to help you if you hurt yourself, no one to tell stories or jokes, no one to laugh when you trip on a rock and leave a buttprint in the sand. Alone means you have nowhere to go. no one is going to be there for you. Alone means when you have depressing thought, or your feet hurt and you wanna sit down and say "just ten minutes" there's no one to make you keep moving. Alone means no one to throw you a rope, no one to stop you from stepping on that rattlesnake, no one to help you when you fuck up a finger and you can't get your firestarter to work.

In a survival situation, alone means you are statistically more likely to die.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I don't think the scenario is any more contrived than most others I see here. It sort of has to be contrived in order to present much in this format. Each of us has such different resources, lifestyle, world views, etc that near every scenario I have ever read can be brushed off as "How would I ever end up in that?" Not because the scenarios are necessarily bad, but by definition I believe they must be contrived.

I still agree with Doc though.

Everyone seems focused on "How might these people help me? Should I "allow" them to travel with me?"

My situation, my life view, is that even 4 months into a widespread SHTF, I am an American living in America. Anyone is welcome to walk across any public use land they wish so long as they don't threaten me. Am I going to shoot at them if they decide to openly follow me? Do I have a right to say "No! You cannot walk down the same road as I do!" Now 4 months in I may have witnessed some pretty traumatic things that leave me feeling I should do that for my own safety. It seems a pretty poor person that plans on being that way from the start. Each and every one of the people in this scenario has the same right to travel where they wish the same as I do. If we're heading the same direction and they wish to walk near me, they are welcome to so long as they do not try to threaten me or others I travel with. I can encourage or discourage this with my attitude towards them.

Walking is a slow way to travel. You start to get a sense of people over that time. Anyone I wish to stay with will likely be determined more by how our personalities mesh than any quantifiable skill they claim to have. The most skilled person in the world can be a huge liability if they're a raging dick and constantly drive you to the brink of extreme frustration. Someone in no way prepared for a SHTF or PAW world can be a lifesaver if they have the right attitude and willingness to contribute and learn.

There's also the huge question of "Who do I want to be?" There have been and will again be times when I fail in living up to who I want to be. Those personal convictions will still often trump what makes "sense" or is "useful." A friendly man injured? I offer aid if I can. That's who I want to be. Not because he may have skills I need or knows how to use that AK-47. I do it to make myself who I want to be. Same reason I take the "unsensible" risk of stopping for hitch hikers in the nonPAW. Same reason I gave my gloves to a hitch hiker I had to drop off in the freezing rain a few weeks ago caue I didn't have it in me to drive him the last 40 miles he needed to go that was out of my way (that is not a victory, but a failure to me, I should have driven him where he needed to go).

So any of those people may walk with me whether they are truly welcome or not. Walking together does not obligate me to give them my posessions. Neither does it obligate them to go out of their way to be useful to me. I do want to be someone that makes the world a better place. If giving someone the extra reassurance of one more armed companion while traveling for a while does so, so be it. That's little liability to me. If my insistance to look out for people the best I can with what limited strength, wisdom, and resources I have makes a difference in how any of those kids or teenagers conduct themselves in the future, I win on every level I care about.

Do you live your life today based on what people can do for you? If so, I am sorry for you. If not, I hope you choose to continue that during hard times the same as in good. I keep people in my life not based on what they can do for me, but how much they care to look out for me to the best of their ability. One is based on their skills and resources. The other is based on who they choose to be. Who they choose to be is more important to me.

The only difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Here's an idea..... think a thread is silly, the subject of the thread is something you're not interested in, or you have nothing constructive to add to the thread? Why not just take a pass and move on? Just sayin

Return to “What Would You Do?”