What do you think will begin the end?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

What do you think will begin the end?

Post by Djchina777 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

In a world of constant turmoil something like a zombie apocalypse isn't the most improbable thing to happen to us but what do you think will cause it? Mad cow disease? Bath salts? biological weapons? it could be anything! i don't have a personal opinion but i'd like to hear your guys' opinions.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: What do you think will begin the end?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Space armadillos.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm

It's going to be when the oil starts running out. Food costs will go up. People won't be able to afford to travel. Rationing will start.

Won't be pretty.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Cthulu awakening. The deep ones rising.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Our communal shame from watching too many "Real Housewives of _____" episodes

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Personally, I'm more worried about aliens demolishing the earth to make room for a hyper-space bypass.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

The closing of the company that makes Twinkies....oh wait...uh oh.

In all seriousness. Nothing. I think the probability of a world ending disaster is miniscule at worst. That's not what I prep for. I prep for the 99.999999% of disaster scenarios that will result in the temprorary disruption of our normal lives, where we will face uncomfortable or even dangerous situations for a short period of time before order is restored. The reality is that it would take a disaster of such magnatude to bring about the end of the world that most would not survive the event anyway.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 pm

vawilderness wrote:Personally, I'm more worried about aliens demolishing the earth to make room for a hyper-space bypass.
Well the plans have been on file for years now! Your fault for not leaving.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

marklar

Post by marklar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:18 pm

the widespread use of JENKEM!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 pm

RepoMan73 wrote:It's going to be when the oil starts running out. Food costs will go up. People won't be able to afford to travel.
I hate to break this to you but oil has been slowly running out for the last century and will take another century to finish doing so. Thats most of the reason why oil costs more now than it used to. We have to do all kinds of crazy shit to get oil now because all the easy stuff is gone.

As the price of oil continues to rise, the market will accept new technologies as the price points become viable. No one thought turning tar sands into oil or deepwater offshore drilling would be viable 30 years ago, but here we are now. It's a slow creeping over years and decades, not an overnight jump.
Rationing will start.
Won't be pretty.
Thats a pretty silly statement on its face. Maybe you meant to join Panic Squad.

OP: I'm voting for Space Armadillos too.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:Cthulu awakening. The deep ones rising.
Ia! Ia!

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Chupacrabras making a known appearance and that its going to get really fucking cold....
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm

The end??? :?

This is the song that never ends. It goes on and on my friends... :rofl:

ETA:

Feel free to pop in here. Introductions
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

TheMute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by TheMute » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 pm

It's a tough call between Space Armadillos and Cthulhu, neither would be very good.
Be Prepared... the meaning of the motto is that a scout must prepare himself by previous thinking out and practicing how to act on any accident or emergency so that he is never taken by surprise. - Robert Baden-Powell

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

What makes you think it hasn't already started?

Brain245
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Brain245 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

In all seriousness. Nothing. I think the probability of a world ending disaster is miniscule at worst. That's not what I prep for. I prep for the 99.999999% of disaster scenarios that will result in the temprorary disruption of our normal lives, where we will face uncomfortable or even dangerous situations for a short period of time before order is restored. The reality is that it would take a disaster of such magnatude to bring about the end of the world that most would not survive the event anyway.
This mostly. I think the Fed reserve and US economy are in for a major turn around, but nothing we wont get through. I don't know that it will be an event as much as a change.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 pm

crypto wrote: As the price of oil continues to rise, the market will accept new technologies as the price points become viable. No one thought turning tar sands into oil or deepwater offshore drilling would be viable 30 years ago, but here we are now. It's a slow creeping over years and decades, not an overnight jump.
Yes, this.

That is not to say temporary shortages and price shocks will not and cannot happen, but this is an excellent explanation of market forces at work and why "peak oil" is not a realistic issue.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm

crypto wrote:
RepoMan73 wrote:It's going to be when the oil starts running out. Food costs will go up. People won't be able to afford to travel.
I hate to break this to you but oil has been slowly running out for the last century and will take another century to finish doing so. Thats most of the reason why oil costs more now than it used to. We have to do all kinds of crazy shit to get oil now because all the easy stuff is gone.

As the price of oil continues to rise, the market will accept new technologies as the price points become viable. No one thought turning tar sands into oil or deepwater offshore drilling would be viable 30 years ago, but here we are now. It's a slow creeping over years and decades, not an overnight jump.
Rationing will start.
Won't be pretty.
No sillier than space armadillos.

Of course oil is slowly running out. Its going to be a gradual thing but increasing fuel cost means increasing food costs. Remember the food riots in the Middle East a few years ago? Its going to be a gradual process. It may not be in the ten years but do you honestly think it will last forever? I'm sure the oil companies will dig deeper as prices make it profitable but if you think that will last, perhaps you should join the Denial Squad.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 pm

RepoMan73 wrote:Of course oil is slowly running out. Its going to be a gradual thing but increasing fuel cost means increasing food costs. Remember the food riots in the Middle East a few years ago? Its going to be a gradual process. It may not be in the ten years but do you honestly think it will last forever? I'm sure the oil companies will dig deeper as prices make it profitable but if you think that will last, perhaps you should join the Denial Squad.
To put it in proper perspective though.....Canada has the world's second largest known oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. With what might be under the northern tundra and the arctic ocean, we might even have more than everyone else combined. Same with natural gas. Even with today's proven reserves, we have enough for around 200 years at current production and most oil and gas sold in the United States is imported from Canada. We have more than enough time to develop alternatives.
Last edited by mantis on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I dunno. The economic problems we're trying to deal with right now are pretty much at the top of my list at the moment.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:I dunno. The economic problems we're trying to deal with right now are pretty much at the top of my list at the moment.
I don't believe in an "end", but I do believe in a "worse".
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Sins

Post by Sins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm

The end of the world will come when more people are worried about when the end of the world will come then those not worried about when the end of the world will come. Paranoia about when the end of the world will come will consume the thoughts of those worried about when the end of the world will come and cause them to start when the end of the world will come because of the high stress of worrying about when the end of the world will come. People not worried about when the end of the world will come, will likely die off quickly causing the people that do in fact worry about when the end of the world will come to be convinced that it is in fact when the end of the world will come.

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

Knowing how life loves irony, I would say when I win the lottery. :vmad:

But in reality, I would say a conflict will occur that will bring about world war III. The survivors will have to live in a TEOTWAWKI. We humans have been doing a fantastic job of building and rebuilding civilizations throughout history, why stop now?
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

Return to “What Would You Do?”