Dealing With Looters

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Dealing With Looters

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Uh-oh.

You are resident of the City of Weakresoreces and your city was the epicenter of a large Earthquake that has destroyed lots of buildings and shut off the power and phones for hundreds of square miles. You are shop keeper/ owner that fills a niche role near the Walmart Super Center and you know that some of your store supplies could be useful during a disaster providing needed aid to people. Your building is mostly intact with little damage. You live upstairs with your family.

Your store also carries some luxury items that would be of no use to anyone during a catastrophe. Today you can see smoke rising from where the Walmart stands as looters ran a muck carting off whatever they could find. You can't be sure but it looked like the police were either ignoring the looters or actively participating. People carrying out LED TVs checked out your mostly intact building and store, some even promised to come "visit" you tomorrow. The police have ordered the roads closed as the bridges and whatnot are too dangerous to cross.

To complicate matters your insurance is very poor and any looting would result in you being ruined and suffering severe financial hardship. Your preps are all stored in the upstairs apartment. You have whatever means and weapons to defend yourself that you normally would have as well as all the other preps you currently have (other than being located there). What steps would you take to prevent looters from taking your stuff? Or would you?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

SteveCA

Re: Dealing With Looters

Post by SteveCA » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Paint an outline of a .45 revolver on a 4x8 plywood and write underneath it: "FREE SUBDERMAL IMPLANTS" nail the plywood over the front door.
Two wrongs don't make a right but two "L"'s make a "Y".

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Have better insurance, first off. A sturdy roll-down door over the storefront, or shutter system. That's about all you can do, really. If you can't afford being looted you certainly can't afford a civil case after shooting a couple of people over a property crime.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

hkusp1

Dealing With Looters

Post by hkusp1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Good security system, good safe, good insurance, and a good amount of ammo.

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm

tell them you voted for Obammy like them .... that should stop 'em
Illini Warrior

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm not going to risk my life or the lives of my hypothetical family for 'stuff'. Being ruined financially I can come back from (been there, done that), being dead is really hard to come back from.

I'd open up the store and start handing out those 'store supplies could be useful during a disaster providing needed aid to people' to anyone who asked and invite my neighbors to help. Its been my experience that a little goodwill goes a long ways.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Illini Warrior, kindly read the forum rules and keep political opinions off this forum.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm

During the LA riots folks (especially in the Vietnamese and Korean neighborhoods) would camp in front of their shops making their AKs very obvious. This seemed to work pretty well. Ammo and weapons are pretty much an implied solution. I know this is a bit gross but I would consider hanging a dead animal or two out front. Looting is an opportunistic act, I don't think it would take to much to convince others that your shop is bad medicine.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 pm

I think you've set up the scenario to where you could reasonably get away with shooting people. :wink:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree with spanningtree. Show your intent to protect your property, and you shouldn't have much problem.

People will loot the Walmart because they know that nobody there has any real vested interest in the property within. They know that you will defend your own property and holdings as necessary. If you're not incorporated, that's personal ownership.
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:tell them you voted for Obammy like them .... that should stop 'em
this is an official warning for political trolling. You've been a member here for close to two years, so there's no excuse for not understanding what our rules are. If you feel you must make posts like this, please find another forum to do so.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:I think you've set up the scenario to where you could reasonably get away with shooting people. :wink:
I have set up the scenario so that you can avoid violence.
You go over and under
I go through

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:10 pm

In that case, pretty much the same as my first answer. Plywood is probably going to be your best friend then. Securely cover the windows and doors, hang tight. Looting is by definition an opportunistic crime, without easily broken windows or open doors the risk drops significantly.

If anyone is willing to pry the plywood off, especially if you have made it clear you are inside (for example, on the roof if possible) then the situation is worse than simple looting and self defense becomes your primary concern.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Neddog wrote:I agree with spanningtree. Show your intent to protect your property, and you shouldn't have much problem.

People will loot the Walmart because they know that nobody there has any real vested interest in the property within. They know that you will defend your own property and holdings as necessary. If you're not incorporated, that's personal ownership.
All the people that work at Walmart have a vested interest in not seeing the store looted and burned to the ground. That puts them out of work for an unknown period of time.
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: Dealing With Looters

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
Neddog wrote:I agree with spanningtree. Show your intent to protect your property, and you shouldn't have much problem.

All the people that work at Walmart have a vested interest in not seeing the store looted and burned to the ground. That puts them out of work for an unknown period of time.
I doubt any of them would die for the merchandise.

Sent from magic talkbox.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I think you've set up the scenario to where you could reasonably get away with shooting people. :wink:
that sounds amazingly like a line in the video I made :clap:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I think you're wrong there, Blacksmith. You're adding factors, like that the mob is planning to burn the store to the ground. Past examples of looting in the US have not gone that far in most cases, as far as I know.

If a big box store is looted and damaged, it'll be up and running with new stock a week after the power is back on.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:29 pm

^^+1 The employees of the Walmart may be the biggest looters of said store. :lol:

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Stop buying ammo and get better insurance?

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
Kill them, kill them all.

Seriously though I think the best tactic is to make the place look to be more trouble than it's worth.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Board up the windows and doors and use the amount of force that you are legally allowed to use in your AO, which in some places is deadly force.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:34 pm

TDW586 wrote:I think you're wrong there, Blacksmith. You're adding factors, like that the mob is planning to burn the store to the ground. Past examples of looting in the US have not gone that far in most cases, as far as I know.

If a big box store is looted and damaged, it'll be up and running with new stock a week after the power is back on.

Well, we don't know what we don't know. However we do know that people will get snippets of information and evidence then draw conclusions based upon that evidence. If there is looting and a fire broke out then it is reasonable to assume that looters torched the store. Fires are a big danger after an earthquake.

I will agree that in most cases of looting after a large disaster arson is not necessarily a large risk. I know in most cases of civil unrest in the US (and there have been way more than you might think) arson occurred hand in hand with the looting along with vandalism, assaults and various other things.
I doubt any of them would die for the merchandise.
Me too. That does not mean they don't have a vested interest. That interest is likely more limited than someone who has their entire livelihood wrapped up in their store. Walmart would likely be strongly opposed to any employees defending the store too to avoid liability.
that sounds amazingly like a line in the video I made :clap:
You go over and under
I go through

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 pm

I own a small Biz.

I know what it takes to keep the doors open, the lights on, the taxes paid. I know how it feels to work 24/7. I know what it is like to go without any pay so that the employees can still get a check.

Everything you own wrapped up in it. Its your life.

And I know that looters will be dealt with like they the fucking scum that they are.

Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Like it was said earlier, Looting is opportunistic. All that may be needed is a show of force such as out front or on the roof. You may not even need that. Simply letting potential looters know that the store employees or owner is still present and managing the store may make most think twice before tossing a brick through the window and going in. I would be standing out front of my storefront sweeping, but have my sidearm visible, loaded, and ready to go if the following didn't work. Anyone who came near I would say "Hello, I am sorry but our store is closed today, can I help you with anything else?" Usually most people who were actively looking to loot you will say "no" and sulk off. Its a lot harder for a person to bring themselves to steal from someone they just met then to go into a store they think is abandoned and take stuff.

Return to “What Would You Do?”