Copyrighted Material Discussion

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:45 am

I know playboy went on a suing spree a while back. They sued BBSs and ISPs over the posting of their images. Also, several news organizations will now sue (or at least take action) over the "reprinting" of articles and pictures they own the copy right too.

The ellipse and the url function are our friends.
Blergh

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:03 am

No more dancing Special K dolls? Ah well...

I know that I am a big offender on the hotlink issue so I'll do my best from here on out.

BTW- Is there an actual ruling set down, or at least a "what we can do to cover our asses" post in some other place that would make this a little more clear, legality wise?
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

paul

Post by paul » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 am

I don't even how to do any of that stuff. Hey, i'm alright with that! Keeps me outta trouble. :D
I Survived Zombie Con 2005!!

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:14 am

I don't believe hotlinking is actually illegal, although I suppose it could be construed as such since you're actually stealing bandwidth. It is pretty disrespectful, though.

Where else do you want to see this? I'm pretty sure it's covered under the "no illegal shit" rule, but I'll put it somewhere else if you like.

And no, I didn't intend to lock it. I like questions. They mean people read it.
a deviant path is the only way
:sk

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:07 am

michelle wrote:Where else do you want to see this? I'm pretty sure it's covered under the "no illegal shit" rule, but I'll put it somewhere else if you like.
Ignore anything I wrote after 11pm last night. It was one of my roommates' birthday and I had to pawn all of my logic and coherence to buy him a present.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

This rule I do not quite understand.

In all other forms of media it is legal to post entire pages of someone else's work provided that the source is credited. On the nets this makes even more sense because websites with valuable information go down all the time. It only makes sense that the entire article gets posted if you're trying to call someone's attention to an important point. And this is the only forum I've been to where this is a rule. All other forums big and small post articles. Nobody get in trouble, and the mods only take notice if a URL source is not posted.

So what's the dilly? Have you guys gotten in trouble before? Has an official told you not to reprint entire articles? Or is this just precautionary???
"Thought it was a nightmare.
Lo it's all so true.
They told me 'Don't go walkin' slow.
The devil's on the loose!'
Better run through the jungle..." -CCR

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:57 pm

Like I told you in PM, just because other forums allow it does not make it legal. It is illegal to take a complete piece of someone else's writing and post it somewhere else, noted or not, without their permission. (Small quotes and excerpts are permissable if cited.) As we don't allow discussion of illegal activity on the forum, we also don't allow illegal activity.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:29 am

Is hotlinking:

Finding an image on another company's website,
Clicking on said image to get its properties URL,
Reposting said URL in a picture format on these forums?

Define it for me purdy please.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:27 am

Gunny wrote:Is hotlinking:

Finding an image on another company's website,
Clicking on said image to get its properties URL,
Reposting said URL in a picture format on these forums?

Define it for me purdy please.
Hotlinking is when you posting an image from another website onto this one without permission from the owner of the website instead of downloading the picture and hosting it yourself on something like photobucket.com

Yeah, people do it all the time but it's very mean because it sucks up their bandwidth. We encourage you to host the images you post in here.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:39 pm

Gotcha, thanks Kyle.

michelle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by michelle » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Just a bump to remind people that posting full articles is illegal and frowned upon. Thanks for keeping that in mind.

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:11 pm

The courts say hotlinking is legal. Browning went on a rampage against someone posting thumbnail links and resources, because they didn't like the suggestion that Browning pistols were appropriate for killing zombies and other threats. Apparently, Brownings are only useful against paper targets. so be warned.

However, the courts found that hotlinking was referencing and not infringement. Since the purpose of a site is visibility, attracting more attention to it is not a crime.

Obviously, hotlinking Photobucket can just KILL the bandwith, as ARFcom manages all the time. Not really fair.

There was another suit by a model or something, against people posting links to her site. She also lost.

For what it's worth, anything on my site or Baen's website is copyrighted but considered free to use with credit given. Help yourself.

My only regret is The Weapon didn't include any zombies, just starving, looting hordes of peasant scum. Oh, well, I'm working on another novel now.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:37 pm

mzmadmike wrote:The courts say hotlinking is legal.
Yep, not illegal just impolite and frowned upon here.
Semper ubi sub ubi

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:13 pm

I understand the need to share with all your friends at ZS the awesome information you find, and I would like for you to do so. Post links, brief excerpts, tell us where to find it. But please don't repost entire articles (or even the majority of the article) or pictures that belong to someone/some company (doubly so if you're doing it without credit). It's disrespectful (especially if you're hotlinking pictures), and it's illegal.

If you need to host pics, there are sites like Photobucket/ImageShack/VillagePhotos that are free and more than happy to hook you up. And if you need to learn how to link, just ask (or roll over the URL button at the top of the posting page).

Thanks for helping us keep the boards legit!
Here's what Michelle, one of our Admins wrote regarding ZS forum copyright guidelines.

Additionally, here's what Title 17, section 106 of the US Codes and Regulations state regarding copyrighted material:
17 U.S.C. § 106

Sec. 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 120, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.
Just because a website doesn't state their information is copyrighted, one should assume it is (especially after reading the #5 subsection. To keep it fair and legal for all, simply link to their material, or if you're taking a short excerpt, be sure to quote where you got the information from.

Thanks, Gunny, ZSTGD

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Gunny wrote: Just because a website doesn't state their information is copyrighted, one should assume it is (especially after reading the #5 subsection. To keep it fair and legal for all, simply link to their material, or if you're taking a short excerpt, be sure to quote where you got the information from.

Thanks, Gunny, ZSTGD
Yup, copyright exists as of the moment a Work is complete. Registration is only a formality and extra legal protection. Whether or not you see a (c) symbol, all Work is copyrighted.

And while some of mine is free for the using, I still insist on credit. If you copy something from somewhere, attribute it as best you can. There's nothing more infuriating than finding one of one's pieces on another site, without credit, thus implying the poster is the creator.

I know of too many posters who seem to think they are "protecting the writer's privacy" by not crediting them. No. If there is a name on the doc, credit them with their work. It's a sign of respect and a professional courtesy.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:39 pm

A reminder, since a few members may have missed this post originally.

Do NOT offer up pirated copyrighted material in this forum. That will get you banned quickly.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Yar!
So nothing that's translated into theivin sailor talk, matey.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:51 am

I'd like to remind people to not hotlink from other websites. To post images that are not your own, you'll need to get permission from the owner of the image and host it yourself. Hotlinking steals bandwidth.

We hate it when people do it to Zombie Squad so please don't do it to other websites.

If you don't know what hotlinking is read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking
http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Plus, some websites have hotlinking protection

...so you might inadvertently show a picture of something grotesque instead, as I found out the hard way :oops:

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:44 am

TheBlunderbuss wrote:Plus, some websites have hotlinking protection

...so you might inadvertently show a picture of something grotesque instead, as I found out the hard way :oops:
Yep...this is a very cool module in Apache that allows this:

mod_rewrite module is the anti hotlinking friend!
http://websiteowner.info/tutorials/serv ... htheft.asp

This is why I built my own webserver...and host my own crap...this way I know whatever goes out is mine and I pay for my bandwidth..however the ISP can and sometimes do pull the plug on you if you use too much
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Return to “Ask ZS”