Ebola outbreak in Uganda

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bombastic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Ebola outbreak in Uganda

Post by Bombastic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 am

An outbreak of Ebola in Uganda has reached the capital city of Kampala. Physical Contact has been banned in the capital and Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni addressed that nation telling citizens to avoid those with symptoms.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... pital.html

TacAir

Re: Ebola outbreak in Uganda

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am

Well, this caught my attention!

"but medical workers initially failed to diagnose the illness because it did not present typical symptoms. "

In this article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju ... sfeed=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This tidbit popped up-
"... an MP for Buyaga East County in the Kibaale district, said people had at first believed the unexplained deaths were related to witchcraft. "Immediately, when there was confirmation that it was Ebola … patients ran out of Kagadi hospital (where some of the victims had died)," he told the Guardian. "Even the medical officers are very, very frightened," he said."

(Ninja edit)
This site -

http://healthmap.org/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has all manner of reported disease outbreaks and other health crisis points. Pretty scary reading at times.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm

That health map is pretty interesting. I got a big surprise when I clicked on the Avian Influenza (past month) tab.
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Latest updates report more infected, at least six. Provided this recent outbreak stays within the borders, it shouldn't be an issue for the majority of the population on the continent. However, signs the virus has spread beyond Africa might be real bad news.

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Can this virus be transmitted via mosquitoes?
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Ebola is one of the scariest bugs out there - there are a number of strands, the most common and destructive is ebola ziare. It kills has a mortality rate of over 90 percent and a transfer rate of over 75 percent. to put that into perspective - the transfer rate of HIV via intercourse is well under 10 percent, mortality of avian flu - in the worst outbreak, with third world healthcare 2.5 percent
THE only reason the whole world has not started bleeding to death from the eyes ears nose and pores (end stage ebola), is that it kills its host too quickly, a day or two at most which does not give it time to spread, given the typically remote locations it pops up in and the time involved in international travel.
My step daughter is a virologist - what shes hearing is some seriously scary shite.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 pm

SRO1911 wrote:Ebola is one of the scariest bugs out there - there are a number of strands, the most common and destructive is ebola ziare. It kills has a mortality rate of over 90 percent and a transfer rate of over 75 percent. to put that into perspective - the transfer rate of HIV via intercourse is well under 10 percent, mortality of avian flu - in the worst outbreak, with third world healthcare 2.5 percent
THE only reason the whole world has not started bleeding to death from the eyes ears nose and pores (end stage ebola), is that it kills its host too quickly, a day or two at most which does not give it time to spread, given the typically remote locations it pops up in and the time involved in international travel.
My step daughter is a virologist - what shes hearing is some seriously scary shite.
The term used with Ebola is "Slate wiper" 90% fatality is scary indeed.

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 am

I just got back from Uganda a about a little over a week ago. I was in Entebbe doing some work. There is not much for sanitation down there. Garbage everywhere along the streets. They just throw it in a pile and then burn it next to the streets. I could give you more examples but that would have to be in a PM. I hope they get this under control before it gets worse.
JustInCase wrote:Can this virus be transmitted via mosquitoes?

No mosquitoes can't transmit this.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 am

kcor_77 wrote:I just got back from Uganda a about a little over a week ago. I was in Entebbe doing some work. There is not much for sanitation down there. Garbage everywhere along the streets. They just throw it in a pile and then burn it next to the streets. I could give you more examples but that would have to be in a PM. I hope they get this under control before it gets worse.
JustInCase wrote:Can this virus be transmitted via mosquitoes?

No mosquitoes can't transmit this.
Seen on the web - some background on the causes of the garbage problem. FWIW, With a population of 90,500, the majority of Entebbe's residents are civil servants for government ministries. Entebbe is 21 miles from Kampala, the capitol of Uganda, and on the shore of Lake Victoria, the second largest fresh water lake in Africa. Very pretty area, did a lot of research for the "Sisters Keeper" storyline.

Entebbe municipality generates about 60 tonnes of garbage daily but cannot afford to collect it all, Entebbe Mayor Vincent De Paul Kayanja says.

Kayanja explains that due to challenges of fuel needed to transport the garbage and the few vehicles available to accomplish the task, only 40 tonnes can be collected—20 tonnes short of what is actually generated.

This, the mayor says leaves the town a bit untidy as the journey to Nkumba village about six miles away requires a lot of fuel.

Kayanja a week ago received a ten-man team from the Swedish city of Kalmar, which consolidated a partnership with Entebbe municipality geared towards improving garbage collection in the area.

Kalmar city went into a twinning programme with Entebbe municipality in 2003 during the tenure of the former mayor Stephen Kabuye and since the recent elections brought in new faces they had not yet met until last week.

Kayanja explained to the visitors who were led by the Deputy Mayor of Kalmar City, Anette Lingmerth that a change in the leadership of the local municipality [Entebbe} will not mean discarding good partnerships like the one afore-mentioned.

”We need to develop Entebbe so there is no need to bring in cheap politics where a noble offer is on our plates,” he said.

On behalf of their city, the visiting team from Kalmar donated a garbage truck and a fire brigade vehicle they gave to Entebbe some years back.

“Indeed it is your modern garbage vehicle which we still use to collect garbage plus a few old lorries we own,” he told the guests.

The Kalmar Group which visited Nakiwogo garbage collecting centre and Nkumba dumping site advised municipal officials to devise means of turning garbage into fertilizers.

Kayanja was optimistic that their meetings with the Kalmar group would enable them build a garbage fill in Nkumba where garbage can be sorted.

“Our immediate plan is to sensitize the residents in sorting out garbage for easy disposal,” Kayanja said.

Most in North America cannot fathom the conditions in poorer countries (lack of travel/experience). The term used mostly in stories is "Entebbe chokes in garbage".

GraphicWave

Post by GraphicWave » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 pm

I really hope they can keep containing this.
A very good read, it gave me goosebumps though :?
- You can't just be the good guy and expect to live. Not anymore. -

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm

TacAir wrote:
This tidbit popped up-
"... an MP for Buyaga East County in the Kibaale district, said people had at first believed the unexplained deaths were related to witchcraft.
Oh yeah, witchcraft is still big over there, especially in East Africa. And not just amongst the animists, but the Christians and Muslims, too.

If sumdood gets killed because his car ran off the road and he centered a tree, it's not because his tires were bald, his brakes were bad and he was piss drunk on palm wine, it's because he must've pissed some one off and they had a sorcerer put a curse on him.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dabster

Ebola outbreak in Uganda

Post by Dabster » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Very scary. Except for avoiding people with a bad cough and vigorous hand-washing not a lot we can do. Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong...

Four memories from traveling around Western Africa about ten years ago:

1. Open wells. Sure they covered them at night but all sorts if stuff could end up in the water unless an NGO happened to put in a pump.

2. Little kids with nasty open wounds, wearing a red thread, provided by your friendly nieghborhood witch doctor, around their wrist. Sure, that'll help!

3. Sitting in a very crowded bush taxi, next to a very thin man with a very bad cough. I just quietly repeated the mantra: AIDS is not transmitted this way. AIDS is not transmitted this way.

4. The Fula word for backyard is the same Fula word as bathroom. When an NGO starts building outhouses, they often find they din't get used.

5. Garbage. Everywhere! People told me to just throw stuff in the ground. I couldn't do it. I just dropped it in a pocket until I found a viable receptical.

6. Lepers. They scared the crap out of me. Usually they were begging. I knew it wasn't that contagious but I would toss whatever cash I had and scoot.

Having said that, it really isn't a bad place. I hope they get this under control.

Dab
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”