Aurora Colorado Movie Theatre Massacre during movie.

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Aurora Colorado Movie Theatre Massacre during movie.

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 am

elricfate wrote:
crypto wrote:I CCW into the theaters, but you know whats a good way to get shot? Using a pistol to engage a rifleman wearing armor at extended distances when you have no cover and no mobility options.

I'd run for cover, even if I were strapped. That's not a fight I would care to get into unless I was pinned in and egress were not an option.
I didn't read enough to know he was armored up.
Its unknown if he actually had armor in his vest, but he definitely had a vest on, I heard 5 people from the theater reporting that he was wearing 'kevlar' or 'a vest' or 'armor' along with his 'gas mask'.

Whether it was filled with plates or delicious candy is still unknown, it could have just been a plate carrier used for attaching shit.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 am

elricfate wrote:
crypto wrote:I CCW into the theaters, but you know whats a good way to get shot? Using a pistol to engage a rifleman wearing armor at extended distances when you have no cover and no mobility options.

I'd run for cover, even if I were strapped. That's not a fight I would care to get into unless I was pinned in and egress were not an option.
Apparently he was wearing some kind of vest and protective mask. I's also unclear if he used just a smoke grenade or some version of tear gas. This may be what they are alluding to when they are saying an 'explosive device' was found at the scene.

Everything is still far too preliminary to trust any of the info coming out.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 am

reddit is going nuts on this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/w ... _massacre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/w ... _massacre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

HHaase

Post by HHaase » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 am

crypto wrote:
Ike wrote: I'm just flabbergasted as to why they would.

Because everyone has their own agendas and axes to grind.

And while many people around here are thinking more or less the same thing, we need to remember that this forum is a non-politics zone, and just use the rest of the Internet to bitch about this.
Exactly what he said.

No matter what happens, there will be a lot of politics thrown on top of this in the news stories, but that's outside of the purpose of ZS thankfully. The mission here is more to figure out how to handle being a victim/bystander/first response to an event like this, and how to handle the immediate needs of those around us.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:21 am

Even though its prohibited to carry in a theater I always bring spray and my cane. Not optimal but way better than a 5 gallon bucket of popcorn and a 256 oz soda.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:23 am

crypto wrote:
elricfate wrote:

Its unknown if he actually had armor in his vest, but he definitely had a vest on, I heard 5 people from the theater reporting that he was wearing 'kevlar' or 'a vest' or 'armor' along with his 'gas mask'.

Whether it was filled with plates or delicious candy is still unknown, it could have just been a plate carrier used for attaching shit.
Ah, man! This means my favorite theater will probably not let me in with my tactical candy vest (I hate paying concession prices) anymore.
Mostly not here anymore.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am

Cowardly crazy shooters make me upset. What I would like to do about it is political. What I will do about it is the same thing I have always been doing.

Be prepared.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

HHaase

Post by HHaase » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 am

The Reddit read is interesting, and the narratives I'm seeing seems to support a second person involved in this, but maybe not as an active shooter. That was one of my first questions, being how the gunman got in through a fire exit. According to the Reddit narrative, somebody was seen to receive a phone call and then open the fire exit from the inside.

I think I'm going to be glad I don't have cable TV anymore.

-Hans

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 am

Is it just me, or do these mass shootings almost seem to be cyclical? It just seems like it'll be fairly quiet for two or three years, and then the next year there will be several, almost back-to-back.

There was one in Tuscaloosa earlier this week. A guy with an AK-style rifle shot-up a college bar and wounded seventeen people (luckily, it appears that all of them will survive).

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/07/t ... r_top.html
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am

RickOShea wrote:Is it just me, or do these mass shootings almost seem to be cyclical? It just seems like it'll be fairly quiet for two or three years, and then the next year there will be several, almost back-to-back.

There was one in Tuscaloosa earlier this week. A guy with an AK-style rifle shot-up a college bar and wounded seventeen people (luckily, it appears that all of them will survive).

Maybe not cyclic but I believe they inspire each other. Madness feeds madness.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am

RickOShea wrote:Is it just me, or do these mass shootings almost seem to be cyclical? It just seems like it'll be fairly quiet for two or three years, and then the next year there will be several, almost back-to-back.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the way the media portray them means they are likely to continue.

This clip is from a British show that looked at news coverage of events and one was a school shooting in Germany
Interesting stuff:
Man is a beast of prey

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:49 am

Up until a week ago, my son lived about 4 miles from this theatre and could very likely have been there.

It just gives me the willies.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am

In the 80's remember it was post office workers. Then it seemed to be schools. Maybe this is the new trend. I certainly hope not. I'm very curious to learn more about the shooter.

In the article I read they called him out wearing a gas mask and dressed in SWAT gear. What that means exactly it's hard to say.

The best advice I've seen in this thread is to carry a decent FAK. That's fantastic advice.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

HHaase

Post by HHaase » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/warner- ... omplained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, this trailer was showing prior to the Batman films, and may still be showing in most theaters. Skip ahead to around 2:10, and yeah I can see why people in the theater were initially thinking it may have been a promotional stunt.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/warner- ... omplained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talk about tasteless.

-Hans

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:52 am

Deadspin has more on one of the 12 confirmed dead, aspiring sportscaster Jessica Redfield. One of her last blog entries was an account of last month's Eaton Centre shooting in Toronto:

"I can't get this odd feeling out of my chest. This empty, almost sickening feeling won't go away. I noticed this feeling when I was in the Eaton Center in Toronto just seconds before someone opened fire in the food court. An odd feeling which led me to go outside and unknowingly out of harm‘s way. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around how a weird feeling saved me from being in the middle of a deadly shooting. ...
"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders' faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening."

There was also this pre-movie tweet: "@JessicaRedfield: Never thought I'd have to coerce a guy into seeing the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises with me."

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/07/ ... es_50.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 am

Exactly what I was thinking: Great way to get shot by a rifle. Plus, he dumped a tear gas canister in the place.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:12 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:The thought of a CCW patron crossed my mind, but honestly prior to this, how many people went into the local cineplex strapped. Even among ZS members. Considering the attacke was deliberate enough to lay down a tear gas cannister before shooting means that any potential return fire was compromised. Secondly, would a CCW bystander risk firing into a paniced crowd? They might not want to have a friendly fire incident.
Every damn time I leave the house, I have a pistol in my pocket. I don't care if it is 1am or 5pm. I was at a 1am showing here in Tucson last night. Would I have shot a person shooting at people obviously running away? You better fucking believe it. The reason I started carrying 20 years ago is just because of this sort of insane asshole. No I don't look foward to shooting someone, but damn it I'll not have someone die because of my inaction. No child should die in pain at a movie, let alone any adult. This theater has the "Lubby's" mind set. I will say at our local theater they had both an armed Note Taker and a very cool Boy in Blue. I still cannot feel secure totally relying on someone else to take care of every issue. It boggles my mind how a person could do this type of thing. I am just glad they took him alive.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 am

Just now seeing this all over the news. Wow! This is absolutely horrible! RIP to all the innocent people that lost there lives in this massacre.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am

CNN is reporting that one of the injured victims is a 3 month old. Not that I would expect any parent to anticipate this kind of horrific tragedy, but what the hell kind of parent brings a 3 month old to a midnight showing of the biggest, loudest action flick of the summer season?

flsgear
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O

Post by flsgear » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:19 am

ninja-elbow wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking: Great way to get shot by a rifle. Plus, he dumped a tear gas canister in the place.
The only problem with this is that we know he has body armor becuase we were told. In a dark movie theater, a man wearing black tactical gear is very likely not going to be easily discernable as to what kind of gear/etc. So realistically you'd only know A) there's a guy in black shooting, and B) people are running.

Pretty shitty situation to be stuck in, IMO :(
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:21 am

majorhavoc wrote:CNN is reporting that one of the injured victims is a 3 month old. Not that I would expect any parent to anticipate this kind of horrific tragedy, but what the hell kind of parent brings a 3 month old to a midnight showing of the biggest, loudest action flick of the summer season?
What one doesn't? I hardly ever go to the theater to see films anymore because of all the idiots on phones and screaming babies.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am

It just would've been a tough situation to be in. You got a dark theatre, a dynamic movie, people freaking out, tear gas, somebody is shooting.... following Cooper's 4 Rules you've got nothing. Following many rules of contact you've got very little to work with.

Egress, reassess, provide assistance until you can't anymore.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 am

DJH wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:CNN is reporting that one of the injured victims is a 3 month old. Not that I would expect any parent to anticipate this kind of horrific tragedy, but what the hell kind of parent brings a 3 month old to a midnight showing of the biggest, loudest action flick of the summer season?
What one doesn't? I hardly ever go to the theater to see films anymore because of all the idiots on phones and screaming babies.
Mostly I'm just upset about what I'm reading. Another witness told a reporter that he saw a police officer running out of the theater with a little girl that looked like she was about 9 with a bullet wound in her back. She wasn't moving. This shit just gets to me, that's all.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:38 am

majorhavoc wrote:
DJH wrote:
Mostly I'm just upset about what I'm reading. Another witness told a reporter that he saw a police officer running out of the theater with a little girl that looked like she was about 9 with a bullet wound in her back. She wasn't moving. This shit just gets to me, that's all.
I'm with you there. Senseless violence like this is always bullshit.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”