First test of National Alert System

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Re: First test of National Alert System

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:21 pm

It didn't hit all of our cable channels, nothing on the Weather Channel, flipped over to a network station and it was playing on there.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 pm

ZS was down for me, for a minute or two, right at 2:01. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 pm

shrapnel wrote:ZS was down for me, for a minute or two, right at 2:01. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.
Mr. NoAm & I were on the internetz and had no problem.
ZSC025 President
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I heard nothing- I'm at work, no radio or TV. (Now, anything that big my employer uses an email/text emergency alert system, as does my kid's school, so I think I'd've gotten a for-real emergency but still... It's not easy to get everybody's attention all at once anymore.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Wasn't there a reference that cells phones would be receiving texts? We got nothing on our cells.
ZSC025 President

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
Patriot Pirate wrote:Well Mass Failure here LOL Nothing happened. Local radio was waiting but it was a no go LOL , Anyone surprised ???? look who is in charge .

Who would that be?
http://www.fcc.gov/leadership/julius-genachowski" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OH YEAH THAT GUY, HAHAHA NO WONDER. :|
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Color me unimpressed.
Maybe next time skynet.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Patriot Pirate

Post by Patriot Pirate » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Was on phone with friend in Ohio and he said nothing came on his radio or tv either

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Patriot Pirate wrote:Was on phone with friend in Ohio and he said nothing came on his radio or tv either
That's exactly what they were hoping to find so they could fix it. That's why it's called a "test".
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Czechnology wrote:
Patriot Pirate wrote:Was on phone with friend in Ohio and he said nothing came on his radio or tv either
That's exactly what they were hoping to find so they could fix it. That's why it's called a "test".
An experiment is always successful, even if it proves something doesn't work. Worked fine here.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:15 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
An experiment is always successful, even if it proves something doesn't work. Worked fine here.
I disagree, but I know what you mean.
I have seen experiments that failed in that the experiment that was conducted was incapable of rendering a succeess or failure and was therefore of no benefit. Happens a lot in the IT field!

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Necrodamus wrote:I disagree, but I know what you mean.
I have seen experiments that failed in that the experiment that was conducted was incapable of rendering a succeess or failure and was therefore of no benefit. Happens a lot in the IT field!
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Czechnology wrote:Have you tried turning it off and on again?
You do know how a button works, don't you? No, not like on clothes.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 pm

All I do at work is listen to CDs or stream radio, and the radio I was streaming at 2pm didn't have any kind of anything, so I don't know if anything happened. I realized it at about 2:30 that I'd missed it. I guess if SHTF and I'm not watching TV (I watch TV practically never) or listening to the real radio (which is also never), I'm fucked! Or, really, I'm sure Twitter would have the news 15 minutes before EAS could get a signal going. That's where I'd look first anyway.

I did find this interesting, though. There were apparently an EAS signal carrying some garbled nonsense and/or music. This one I found has a guy saying "we are under alien attack". I'm thinking somebody's idea of a really bad joke. Can't imagine the number of panic modes who had 911 on speed dial. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdrMe0zlQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(the hissing/messages start at about :50)

edit: ninjas were never here

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Horns and Desktop alerts on post today at 1300hrs. Was it a Eastern time thing?
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Apparently there was no alert, nor a damn thing. How are we supposed to bow before our alien overlords if people aren't told about them?

I'm emailing the stations to complain.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I don't have a television and I don't listen to my car radio because it only gets one very awful local station.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:18 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:Horns and Desktop alerts on post today at 1300hrs. Was it a Eastern time thing?
yep
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Roughly two hours after the test occurred, Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman released this statement to BusinessInsider.com:

“The weaknesses exposed by today’s test of the emergency alert system are unacceptable. Government and media carriers must work together to make sure the system does what it is intended to do, which is to transmit a nationwide message from the President in a crisis. I commend FEMA for carrying out this long-overdue, first-ever, nationwide test of the system. Without it, we would never have known the extent of the system’s vulnerabilities.”
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/09/ ... est-today/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there's nothing wrong a few billion dollars won't fix.

KodiakJack

First test of National Alert System

Post by KodiakJack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Cancelled here in Alaska because of the storm the size of the lower-48.
AndyG
Kodiak, Alaska

It's Movember...and I'm growing my mustache to raise money and awareness of mens cancers.
Please consider a donation! Thanks!
- http://mobro.co/AndyGrow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Midian

Post by Midian » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Here the I-heart Radio had it at 3 min late, it had a good tone. The radio was about a minute later and the tone was soft until about half way through, then it got to full volume. I did not see any TV

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Who paid for this test? And who's gonna pay to fix it? And just why would anyone need to tell everyone in the entire mainland, Alaska, Hawaii and other territories something all at the same time?

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:55 pm

You
You
No comment (forum rules)
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Regulator wrote:Who paid for this test? And who's gonna pay to fix it? And just why would anyone need to tell everyone in the entire mainland, Alaska, Hawaii and other territories something all at the same time?
Originally it was conceived for nuclear attack but bio terrorism and some rather uncommon natural disasters would also fit the bill.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”