First test of National Alert System

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Re: First test of National Alert System

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 am

Don't panic! FEMA urges Americans not to worry as national alert system is testedFirst-ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System to occur on November 9 at 2:00pm EST
Will last up to three-and-a-half minutes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1dDn9UpIH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:24 am

NoAm wrote:Don't panic! FEMA urges Americans not to worry as national alert system is testedFirst-ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System to occur on November 9 at 2:00pm EST
Will last up to three-and-a-half minutes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1dDn9UpIH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
Amazing this is getting coverage in British papers.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 am

It's all a prelude to alien invasion and occupation!! :shock:

All hail our new alien overlords.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:49 am

Phoenix David wrote:It's all a prelude to alien invasion and occupation!! :shock:

All hail our new alien overlords.
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 am

BUT IT'S THE GOVERNMENT!

There, that's out of my system, does anyone think this is in response to 9/11 or 9/11 type threats? Personally, I think it would have been a good thing to have this type of system in place on 9/11.

A part of me doesn't like the govt. having the ability to take over airwaves of all communication devices. Or is that not what this system can do?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:03 am

Regular Guy wrote:BUT IT'S THE GOVERNMENT!

There, that's out of my system, does anyone think this is in response to 9/11 or 9/11 type threats? Personally, I think it would have been a good thing to have this type of system in place on 9/11.

A part of me doesn't like the govt. having the ability to take over airwaves of all communication devices. Or is that not what this system can do?
Or a hacker getting the EAM codes and bringing the system down for as long as it takes for the station engineer (rarely on site these days) to cut off the control box.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am

I can't help but think of Orson's 'War of the Worlds' fiasco happening. How many people don't know about this test?
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

L1Z4RD

Post by L1Z4RD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:22 am

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
ImageImage

HK33K, R.I.P.
Jeriah, R.I.P.
Xbox Live Gamertag: XxL1Z4RDxX
Regular Guy wrote:Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am

hatchtrikk wrote:I can't help but think of Orson's 'War of the Worlds' fiasco happening. How many people don't know about this test?
I think anyone so tuned out as to not have seen the "IGNORE THIS TEST" stuff will be tuned out and not see the test.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Jenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: So far I do not have any. But I will keep you posted as soon as I do.

Post by Jenny » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Interesting. I hope to be paying attention to when they will do the test. That is the National test of the Emergency Alert System. (Note: Sorry if I don't make any sense.)

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Is it bad that when I read the news headline of 'Government tells people not to panic' that my first thought was the line from 2012 "When they tell you not to panic, that's when you RUN!"

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Xale D

Post by Xale D » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Regular Guy wrote: There, that's out of my system, does anyone think this is in response to 9/11 or 9/11 type threats? Personally, I think it would have been a good thing to have this type of system in place on 9/11.
From the above linked entry on the EAS:
Wikipedia wrote: During the September 11 attacks in 2001, "... the EAS was not activated nationally or regionally in New York or Washington during the terrorist attacks on the nation." Richard Rudman, then chairman of the EAS National Advisory Committee explained that near immediate coverage in the national media meant that the media itself provided the warning or alert of what had happened and what might happen as quickly as the information could be distributed. "Some events really do serve as their own alerts and warnings. With the immediate live media coverage, the need for an EAS warning was lessened." 34 PEP stations were kept on high alert for use if the President had decided to order an Emergency Action Notification. "PEP is really a last-ditch effort to get a message out if the president cannot get to the media."[14]
As someone else mentioned, the EAS got scooped by CNN and the rest of the mass media. It happens.
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm

I guess the real question will be are the conspiracy theorists right, and the FCC just got a new "instant censorship" button? I don't think so, but then again, I am not in the loop...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:Amazing this is getting coverage in British papers.
I wouldn't necessarily call the Daily Mail a "paper"... :P
tool133 wrote:Those old enough to remember, on Saturday mornings there was a EBS test sometime between Smurfs and GI Joe.

?

:lol:
Off the internet until further notice.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 pm

In before the aliens!
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Dunno if it's related but for the last 45 minutes or so I have counted 22 F-35's taking off, 3 KC-10's and what looked to be 5 B-2 bombers all heading east from Luke AFB
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Krustofski wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:Amazing this is getting coverage in British papers.
I wouldn't necessarily call the Daily Mail a "paper"... :P
tool133 wrote:Those old enough to remember, on Saturday mornings there was a EBS test sometime between Smurfs and GI Joe.

?

:lol:
:shock: Ohhhhh, how 70's! :lol:

As far as the asteroid and all the flight activity in AZ................... creeeeeeepy!
For the test itself, I was underwhelmed. For who knows what was spent on that excercise, I would have like an updated jingle or something!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Patriot Pirate

Post by Patriot Pirate » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Well Mass Failure here LOL Nothing happened. Local radio was waiting but it was a no go LOL , Anyone surprised ???? look who is in charge .

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Patriot Pirate wrote:Well Mass Failure here LOL Nothing happened. Local radio was waiting but it was a no go LOL , Anyone surprised ???? look who is in charge .

Who would that be?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Patriot Pirate wrote:Well Mass Failure here LOL Nothing happened. Local radio was waiting but it was a no go LOL , Anyone surprised ???? look who is in charge .
Ran fine here on radio and TV.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Patriot Pirate

Post by Patriot Pirate » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Reports all over saying nothing happened

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Czechnology wrote:

Who would that be?
http://www.fcc.gov/leadership/julius-genachowski" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Extremely anti-climatic event is extremely anti-climatic.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”