Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here (in USA)

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here (in USA)

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Valarius wrote:Monday night. Protest camps in Seattle, Boston, St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta simultaneously shut down by police. Hundreds arrested. Reports of protestors and police injured and attacked.

The only mainstream news link I can find:

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/ ... News_links" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything else is either YouTube videos or on political blogs. Some are firsthand accounts. Protestors are vowing to carry on.

It is called disinformation. Make an incident where none exists. I saw that same thing in the NOLA group page and when I walked by at lunch nothing was happening.

What is the likelihood of a combined action by local LEOs in 5 different cities. two chances slim & none. I call BS.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm

raptor wrote:
Valarius wrote:Monday night. Protest camps in Seattle, Boston, St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta simultaneously shut down by police. Hundreds arrested. Reports of protestors and police injured and attacked.

The only mainstream news link I can find:

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/ ... News_links" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything else is either YouTube videos or on political blogs. Some are firsthand accounts. Protestors are vowing to carry on.
It is called disinformation. Make an incident where none exists. I saw that same thing in the NOLA group page and when I walked by at lunch nothing was happening.

What is the likelihood of a combined action by local LEOs in 5 different cities. two chances slim & none. I call BS.
Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:38 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

Don't forget my favorite line from that skit:

Old Woman: OOOHHHH Dennis there is some lovely filth over here. :D

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm

From Seattle:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/10/1 ... sible.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SEATTLE--Participants in the Occupy Seattle protest in downtown Westlake Park say they have been told the park is closed and if they remain they may be arrested.

That's the word from Sharla Laurin, an Occupy Seattle peace and safety facilitator. She says that announcement was made over a loudspeaker shortly after 11 p.m. Monday. Protesters are hearing from the mayor's office that there aren't supposed to be any arrests. They're hearing from Seattle police on scene that there may be.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Anti Homeless people ordinances make it illegal to camp in most city parks. If they were smart, they'd go home, shower/shit/shave and be back at 6am.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Valarius

Post by Valarius » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:Anti Homeless people ordinances make it illegal to camp in most city parks. If they were smart, they'd go home, shower/shit/shave and be back at 6am.
That appears to be the new tactic. Occupy everywhere and anywhere for the allowable amount of daily time, go home, come back, repeat. Unless you're in a city that has a large enough mass to be unmoved like New York.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Valarius wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:Anti Homeless people ordinances make it illegal to camp in most city parks. If they were smart, they'd go home, shower/shit/shave and be back at 6am.
That appears to be the new tactic. Occupy everywhere and anywhere for the allowable amount of daily time, go home, come back, repeat. Unless you're in a city that has a large enough mass to be unmoved like New York.

The local NOLA group displaced a homeless colony in the park they are "occupying". The homeless are complaining about the fact "their home" was taken over. The NOLA group is also having to set up sentries at night to protect the group from "predators". They are asking for a larger police presence as a result. :roll:

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I think it would be funny if BoA, here, donated a bunch of tubes of hand sanitizer to the camp.
I wanna see them sponsor the whole damn thing. :lol: Port-a-potties, free bottled water, snacks, etc.

That'd be a....

/sunglasses

riot.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:I think it would be funny if BoA, here, donated a bunch of tubes of hand sanitizer to the camp.
I wanna see them sponsor the whole damn thing. :lol: Port-a-potties, free bottled water, snacks, etc.

That'd be a....

/sunglasses

riot.
Not a bad idea. This sit in is sponsored by....

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Having lunch with the our firm's office facilities director guy today (he's the guy in charge of all the firm's security and disaster prepping amongst 50 other things) and he said we are due for our 6 month practice evacuation. Then, we realized, "Oh shit.... our office rendezvous point is the park that all them protestors are occupying!!" He called some of the other firms in the tower to see if they also used that park as a rendezvous post building evacuation and some do use it as that.

As of now, we plan to crash it when we decide to do our practice evacuation. It's our park too.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:18 pm

raptor wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:

That'd be a....

/sunglasses

riot.
Not a bad idea. This sit in is sponsored by....
If I was a rich 1%-er, I would totally go hook them up. That would be so Art of War right there.
President ZSC011

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah that kind of stuff is already done gents!
I have a friend who is involved in anti nuclear protests in the UK. The energy company they protest against supply the onsite toilets at every demo. Clever!
Man is a beast of prey

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

One of the other firms in our tower (200 people... not sure if any are 1%-ers) is having thier evac drill today at 1400 (15 minutes). My facilities director and I are going to join them and see what happens.

ETA: Aww man! Due to safety and such the rendezvous point was changed to Fox park going the other way. That's a nice park BTW. Very reasonable decision if you ask me. More food carts there so good for business.
President ZSC011

Valarius

Post by Valarius » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:57 pm

To sum up:

Boston police have commenced a crackdown on protestors. Sacramento police are cracking down on protestors. Seattle police are at odds with the Mayor's office on arresting protestors. Portland police will celebrate John Lennon's birthday by singing "Imagine" with protestors. Dallas police are pretty calm. NOLA police couldn't care less.

No word from other cities yet.

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 pm

raptor wrote: The local NOLA group displaced a homeless colony in the park they are "occupying". The homeless are complaining about the fact "their home" was taken over. The NOLA group is also having to set up sentries at night to protect the group from "predators". They are asking for a larger police presence as a result. :roll:
The ironies here are just too much for me to bear :lol:

Valarius wrote:To sum up:

Boston police have commenced a crackdown on protestors. Sacramento police are cracking down on protestors. Seattle police are at odds with the Mayor's office on arresting protestors. Portland police will celebrate John Lennon's birthday by singing "Imagine" with protestors. Dallas police are pretty calm. NOLA police couldn't care less.

No word from other cities yet.
Really all Boston did was push the protestors back out of an area they had just recently expanded into. "Occupy Boston" is definitely still there, but the message has been sent that they must accept a certain level of containment.

Frankly, I figure Boston and NYC are just hoping the weather will turn colder soon and send the less committed home, making things easier to deal with.
Winter is Coming

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:01 pm

MVegas893.1 wrote:
raptor wrote: The local NOLA group displaced a homeless colony in the park they are "occupying". The homeless are complaining about the fact "their home" was taken over. The NOLA group is also having to set up sentries at night to protect the group from "predators". They are asking for a larger police presence as a result. :roll:
The ironies here are just too much for me to bear :lol:
There are other ironies but I have to avoid politics. :wink:

The City gave the march the required parade permit at no charge. The mayor came to visit them. The park they are using is has no specific ordinance prohibiting camping there and in fact is where the homeless are frequently seen for this reason.

So no, no one really cares what they do or how long they stay. The park is not really needed until Mardi Gras and that is months away.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Actually, Portland Police are going to start warning ,then citing Occupy-ers for breaking city ordinance and camping in the park. Those that later do not pay the fines will be rounded up whenever this thing ends to reseed the grass and clean the park up. Law-suits are gearing up too. The media has let up on coverage as there are more important things to cover like accidents and sex offenders and other scary things. Multiple local polls have indicated that:
1) Majority of us "liberal" PDXers do not agree with Occupy's actions.
2) They are easy to work around.
3) The City is kind of just going "meh... this is Portland" to them. Will hold them accountable for anything they fuck up though. Go ahead and have your little tantrum.

Tri-Met, our bus sytem, did a great job of working around the areas blocked and putting up new bus stops to those of us affected.

Funny note: Portland Marathon was this weekend - finish line is the occupied park. Portland Marathon had the permit for the park 1 year ago, right after the last marathon. Occupy said they were willing to "compromise" with PDXM organizers :roll: . PDXM put up fences and asked Occupy for volunteers. Occupy said they offered up 500 volunteers while PDXM said it was more like 50.
President ZSC011

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

As with lots of other metropolitan areas, the effort is well underway in Chicago. They've setup a website (with sporadic updates) as well as a number of Twitter feeds. The number of arrests across the last two days is relatively low, which is somewhat surprising as traffic was most definitely affected yesterday when a number of people linked arms and blocked Michigan Ave.

My intelligence gathering efforts have been relatively limited but it appears as though three primary groups are loosely affiliated and organizing a multitude of simultaneous events.

I haven't been downtown since last week but even then I didn't see any of it myself.

Getting back on-topic, I suspect that large-scale riots are unlikely in the current climate. Despite the rhetoric of lots of unhappy voices, there's still order and that order seems to be preserved without much effort. So long as this remains the case I will remain to think riots unlikely.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:24 pm

ninja-elbow wrote: PDXM put up fences and asked Occupy for volunteers. Occupy said they offered up 500 volunteers while PDXM said it was more like 50.
That is typical of what I have seen; they add a zero to any number they cite for people. 50 people is 500 people to them.

I counted around 200 people at their march. The local paper said 200 to 300. They cited 300 to 400 and are now saying there were around 500 to 1,000.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
Funny note: Portland Marathon was this weekend - finish line is the occupied park. Portland Marathon had the permit for the park 1 year ago, right after the last marathon. Occupy said they were willing to "compromise" with PDXM organizers :roll: . PDXM put up fences and asked Occupy for volunteers. Occupy said they offered up 500 volunteers while PDXM said it was more like 50.
Ah, the powers of 10! :lol:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Interesting... The only guy who managed to get himself pepper sprayed at the protest at the Smithsonian the other day is a self described "Agent Provocateur" who works at the American Spectator online and who disses the protesters for being unwilling to adopt more confrontational tactics http://spectator.org/blog/2011/10/08/standoff-in-dc. (Apparently the original article has been edited since it was originally posted).

While the protest supporters are upset at the guy, it seems to me he has done them a big favor; he gives them an example of what to avoid when someone shows up trying to lure people into doing something that will bring discredit to the protests and also plausible deniability when those things end up happening anyway as they almost inevitably do...
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I just do not understand why they protested the Smithsonian. Are they angry with museums?

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm

The whole air and space thing was stupid and a good example of how to the public to write your group off as a bunch of kooks.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Kommander wrote:The whole air and space thing was stupid and a good example of how to the public to write your group off as a bunch of kooks.
Yes that was simply grandstanding. Nothing more. It resulted in others being denied access to the museum when they closed it. That was plain wrong.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”