J-Quake

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: J-Quake

Post by dogbane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Mostly not here anymore.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Oregon photographer swept to sea near Gold Beach, no contact:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japan has had two quakes, 6.6 and 6.3 in the same northwest region. They're calling those aftershocks.

San Francisco news reports the surge waves were 3, 5 and 6 feet coming in.

All ZS get the hell away from the beaches until tomorrow.
Last edited by Valarius on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm

The tsunami power:

They said there was enough energy released in the quake and tsunami to run the US for 1 month!!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:I read 4 unlucky souls *edit* were sucked out the harbor in Crescent City, OR. Apparently 8 hours wasn't enough warning to GTFO of there. #thoughtsandprayers
I was just talking to my mom up in Coos Bay area and she says that Crescent City gets hit hard by these all the time. So not only were they warned, but unless they we new to town, they prolly knew that the area gets hit hard "regularly". The loss of life is always tragic, but it is hard not to say that Darwin was right.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Aonghus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, 28 Days, 28 Weeks, etc.

Post by Aonghus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Crappy situation to cause it, but the twitter feed and other social media have been going ape posting the link the 72hours.org. Must have seen like 14 celebs reposting that link. Hopefully this will start people in the US and the world thinking about prepping where ever they live.

Valarius

Post by Valarius » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Yes, this happened so fast they didn't bother to change the name)

#
2209: As dawn breaks across Japan, the scale of the disaster is becoming clearer. Fires are raging across Kesennuma in the north-east, according to the Jiji Press news agency, and one-third of the city has been submerged by the tsunami. The city of Sendai and the surrounding farmland were devastated by the tsunami. The Japanese government is deploying hundreds of planes and ships in a relief operation. It has also requested some foreign search and rescue teams to help.

#
2217: The Associated Press is also now citing Japanese nuclear safety agency officials as saying that radiation levels inside one of the reators at the Fukushima-Daini nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after the cooling system failed.

Pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

#
2225: Shigekazu Ishihara, from Hiroshima tweets: "Ooshima, island off the coast of Kesen-numa seems devastated #quake #japan #helpjapan"

South America: Chile is also evacuating:
#
2229: Chile's Interior Minister, Rodrigo Hinzpeter, has ordered the evacuation of "all people living in defined flood zones" ahead of the expected arrival of tsunami waves of up to 3m (10ft) along the country's 4,000km (2,500-mile) coastline. On Easter Island, in the South Pacific, the authorities have evacuated 1,500 residents to the airport, which is 45m (150ft) above sea level. The tsunami is expected to reach Easter Island shortly before 1800 local time on Friday (2300 GMT). Residents of the Robinson Crusoe islands, which are closer to mainland Chile, have also been told they may have to move to higher ground.

The rest of the Pacific:
#
2233: Other islands in the South Pacific have been reporting bigger-than-normal waves as the tsunami reaches them, but no significant damage. Police in Tonga said water had surged into a number of houses on the low-lying Ha'apai islands early on Saturday morning, according to the Associated Press. Tidal surges up to 66cm (26in) high were also reported in American Samoa, Nauru, Saipan and at the far northern tip of New Zealand.
Last edited by Valarius on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I have a lot of faith in the resilience and expertise of the Japanese people when dealing with disasters. They are very organized about drilling entire communities for disaster response. And though the situation with the power plants is worrying, I trust that they have their best engineers working on this.

Watching NHK live on-line: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right now they are talking about the emergency procedures happening at the reactor(s) in question. Apparently the people still working are doing so in radiation suits, as the levels inside are much higher than is safer. They say they are still contemplating venting the reactor if the coolant doesn't help.

I caught this picture coming over Twitter of the tsunami rolling through the East Bay Area at San Francisco earlier today:

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I just heard about this about 2 hours ago. I haven't been online today, and haven't seen the TV. Hell, even the local radio station hasn't reported it.

My thoughts are with all of those in Japan (and ZS) still alive with lost loved ones, and with those who haven't heard from their loved ones. :(

Wow.. just wow. I really don't know what else to say... :(
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 pm

CNN said all US military personnel and families stationed in Japan have been accounted for! Everyone is still feaking over that one reactor.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Will this affect world food prices? Japan will have to import even more food while they rebuild. I wonder how long it will take them to get their ports, railways, and roads back together. According to the news, their entire automobile manufacturing has shut down across all of japan. What does this mean for spare parts for Hondas and Toyotas here in the USA? There's going to be all sorts of economic shockwaves from this event in the next few weeks...

-Blast

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

AgentBlack wrote:CNN said all US military personnel and families stationed in Japan have been accounted for! Everyone is still feaking over that one reactor.
Radiation is "1000 times of normal level" inside. "Near the main gate, the radiation has risen to 8 times the normal level" <--- Hearing on NHK World news (link above). It seems that they're just preparing to vent and have already evacuated the area around the reactor.

What a devastating day for so many people.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:56 pm

USS Ronald Reagan and half the pacific fleet bearing down on Japan to help with air mobility.

AgentBlack

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm

basm wrote:
AgentBlack wrote:CNN said all US military personnel and families stationed in Japan have been accounted for! Everyone is still feaking over that one reactor.
Radiation is "1000 times of normal level" inside. "Near the main gate, the radiation has risen to 8 times the normal level" <--- Hearing on NHK World news (link above). It seems that they're just preparing to vent and have already evacuated the area around the reactor.

What a devastating day for so many people.
They said a 6 mile perimeter. Japan's reactors are some of the most advanced in the world, but this one is one of their oldest....(fingers crossed)!

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:59 pm

AgentBlack wrote:USS Ronald Reagan and half the pacific fleet bearing down on Japan to help with air mobility.
Does the Pacific fleet have a ship like the USS Comfort (I think that's what it was called), that went to Haiti?
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

basm

Post by basm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:00 pm

And to go with the photo I posted above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDCLwblkY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Tsunami rolling through East Bay.

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm

basm wrote:
I caught this picture coming over Twitter of the tsunami rolling through the East Bay Area at San Francisco earlier today:

Here's what that surge looked like in motion at the entrance to the Berkeley Marina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kn4XcOqR38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My friends that still live there tell me that a few pilings were broken and a couple of dock fingers broke loose from the main docks.

For those that don't know, this marina is within SF Bay. Between it and the actual ocean is a set of breakwaters (you can see those in the vid), and with the exception of the relatively narrow Golden Gate strait...the landmass of the City of SF and southern Marin County. We weren't really worried about how fast or hard the water would come in as much as we were worried about the outflow stranding the boats on the mud and then refloating them chaotically. This didn't happen, thankfully.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Zortel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Junk, Shawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead

Post by Zortel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Everyone is still feaking over that one reactor.
Not just one reactor, now.

There's reports coming in that Fukushima-Daini Nuclear Power Plant has had malfunctions to the cooling systems of three reactors. Fukushima-Daini is 7 miles from Fukushima-Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.

Edit: "More from the Tokyo Electric Power Company: It says the ability to control pressure in some of the reactors at Fukushima-Daini has been lost. Pressure is stable inside the reactors, but rising in the containment vessels, a company spokesman says."
Last edited by Zortel on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgentBlack

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:12 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
AgentBlack wrote:USS Ronald Reagan and half the pacific fleet bearing down on Japan to help with air mobility.
Does the Pacific fleet have a ship like the USS Comfort (I think that's what it was called), that went to Haiti?
Yes The USNS Mercy.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

This seems to be the disaster that just keeps on giving, doesn't it. That said, I should have known that all bets were off when I woke up to images of houses on fire as they floated along churning waves of black water.

One thing that all the footage of people in the first few seconds of the quake just being stunned by what is going on before trying to get under a desk or table has reminded me of for some reason is a post that I read on the equipped.org site a while back that listed the following simple but significant drill:
MartinFocazio wrote: Do this, right now.

Close your eyes.
Count to 27.

Now, put your hands on the following objects, while your eyes are still closed.

a. Flashlight
b. Whistle
c. Pocket Knife
d. Bandanna

This is a drill that I have done with some co-workers in NYC. It's thought provoking.

Could you do it?
Now, I don't EDC a whistle on my person, although I do keep one in my bag and I do a pretty decent mouth whistle (yeah, not so good in dusty environments), but I tick all those other boxes every waking hour. If I'm asleep those items are in my trousers near me.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here about EDC fundamentals when it comes to disaster prep, but they so easy to do that I think these four should be more widely circulated. Add a bottle of water (obviously not pocketable mostly) to that list and I think you've got a very doable EDC disaster kit for every man woman and child. Armed with those and knowledge, you could throw yourself under a table anytime, anywhere and make a pretty good immediate go of things.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

basm

Post by basm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 pm

An example of the tsunami sirens sounding in a town just outside Tokyo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaztima109# ... kG8-E2soQU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what it is about air raid sirens and voices in the sky like this but they make the hair on my neck stand up.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:32 pm

basm wrote: I don't know what it is about air raid sirens and voices in the sky like this but they make the hair on my neck stand up.
Me too. I think that means they're working.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Valarius

Post by Valarius » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:34 pm

I know I'm preaching to the choir here about EDC fundamentals when it comes to disaster prep, but they so easy to do that I think these four should be more widely circulated. Add a bottle of water (obviously not pocketable mostly) to that list and I think you've got a very doable EDC disaster kit for every man woman and child. Armed with those and knowledge, you could throw yourself under a table anytime, anywhere and make a pretty good immediate go of things.
I favor cargo pants for that reason. I usually have the following on me:

-leatherman
-cell phone (doubling as a weak flashlight and a noise maker, if you play the ringtone loud)
-wallet

I always kept a lighter on me in Alaska.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 pm

AgentBlack wrote: Does the Pacific fleet have a ship like the USS Comfort (I think that's what it was called), that went to Haiti?
Yes The USNS Mercy.[/quote]

USNS MERCY, homeported in San Diego, CA, is currently in reduced operating status with a five day activation.
If this is still true it's going to be a long time before it gets to Japan.
The U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy returned to San Diego Tuesday from a humanitarian aid deployment to Southeast Asia, in which nearly 110,000 patients were treated.
From 9/21/10, my guess is it's still in port.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:41 pm

I've checked with all friends that I know have friends/family over there. All are accounted for. Hope many others have the same luck.
TC wrote:
MartinFocazio wrote: Do this, right now.

Close your eyes.
Count to 27.

Now, put your hands on the following objects, while your eyes are still closed.

a. Flashlight
b. Whistle
c. Pocket Knife
d. Bandanna

This is a drill that I have done with some co-workers in NYC. It's thought provoking.

Could you do it?
I can find 3 flashlights, 2 pocket knives, a 3/4 full gallon of water, and a spare shirt, all from where I'm sitting, eyes closed, but the bandanna is packed in my BOB, and so is the whistle.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”