Russian heat wave

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Russian heat wave

Post by dogbane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 pm

BBC wrote:Russia declares state of emergency over wildfires

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has declared a state of emergency in seven Russian regions because of wildfires fuelled by a heatwave.

The death toll from the fires has risen to 40, the ministry of health said.

The Russian emergencies ministry said 500 new blazes had been discovered over a 24-hour period, but most had been extinguished.

Homes have been burnt in 14 regions of Russia, the worst-hit being Nizhny Novgorod, Voronezh and Ryazan.

Nineteen of the 40 deaths recorded were in Nizhny Novgorod, the health ministry said.

The state of emergency was announced in a decree that also restricted public access to the regions affected.

Moscow is again shrouded in smoke from peat and forest fires outside the city.

The fires, caused by record temperatures and a drought, have affected cereal harvests, driving wheat prices up.

Heatwave grinds on

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin saw some of the fire damage for himself in Nizhny Novgorod region last week. On Monday, he held meetings with regional leaders in Moscow to discuss further help for affected communities.

Russians are bracing themselves for another week of high temperatures, with forecasts of up to 40C (104F) for central and southern regions.

Officials also expect stronger winds in some regions, which will fan the flames.

By Sunday night, wildfires were still raging across some 128,000 ha (316,000 acres).

Thousands of people have lost their homes and nearly a quarter of a million emergency workers have been deployed to fight the flames.

Moscow doctors say the elderly and toddlers should wear gauze masks outdoors.

The city of Kazan, on the Volga river east of Moscow, was also blanketed in smog on Monday, an eyewitness told the BBC.

Marek Zaremba-Pike said Kazan's air "smells of burnt wood and tastes of dust".

"Usually we can see the Kazan Kremlin very clearly, but visibility is poor. You can't see it at all, just the river bank."

More famous for its bitterly cold winters, the giant country's European part normally enjoys short, warm summers.

However, July was the hottest month on record. In Moscow, which sees an average high of 23C in the summer months, recorded 37.8C last Thursday.

Emergency officials say the heat and drought are the main causes of the fires, but they also blame human carelessness, and urged people to use extreme caution when walking or driving in the woods or countryside.

"Any source of fire, including a cigarette thrown from a car window, will ignite the dried grass," the emergencies ministry said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10836281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly not here anymore.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Re: Russian heat wave

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 pm

And my part of California is having the coldest summer in 40 years :?
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Columbia and SC in general has set records for heat this year.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:And my part of California is having the coldest summer in 40 years :?
mickeydown wrote:Columbia and SC in general has set records for heat this year.
We had our first 100 degree day of the summer yesterday, on August 1st. I can not remember going through July without getting to 100.

The more I look at global trends, the more I see our weather in Central Texas and the Gulf region is driven by the Pacific La Niña and El Niño cycles. What's driving those is a whole other matter, but we're thankful for the cooler and wetter summer. Harvests are looking very good this year.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:22 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:And my part of California is having the coldest summer in 40 years :?
Im jealous. AZ just had a very cold winter.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:10 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
mickeydown wrote:Columbia and SC in general has set records for heat this year.
We had our first 100 degree day of the summer yesterday, on August 1st. I can not remember going through July without getting to 100.

The more I look at global trends, the more I see our weather in Central Texas and the Gulf region is driven by the Pacific La Niña and El Niño cycles. What's driving those is a whole other matter, but we're thankful for the cooler and wetter summer. Harvests are looking very good this year.
Interesting.
In my area of Western WA we have had a few days break the 100 degree mark this summer, which is kinda unusual. Normally it's "hot" here when it's in the 80's. This last winter was also pretty mild up here.

Nothing like those poor Russians are facing though.....

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Russia bans grain exports due to drought. Russia is the worlds #3 exporter of grains....wheat commodity prices have jumped 32-70% (depending on the market) since the announcement.
MOSCOW – Russia banned grain exports for the rest of the year on Thursday after a severe drought and wildfires destroyed 20 percent of its wheat crop. The price of wheat, which has already jumped 70 percent on world markets this summer, rallied further on the news.

Among the world's largest exporters of grain, Russia said the ban will run from Aug. 15 through Dec. 31 and could even be extended into next year if necessary.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/ap_ ... ssia_wheat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister, on Thursday announced a temporary export ban on grains after a severe drought decimated the country’s crops.
“I think it would be expedient to introduce a temporary ban on export grains and other agricultural goods,” Mr Putin told a cabinet meeting. “We cannot allow an increase in domestic prices and we need to maintain the number of cattle.”
The ban would take effect from August 15, a spokesman for Mr Putin said
Wheat prices rallied sharply on the news. In Chicago, wheat jumped by its daily limit of 60 cents to a new two-year peak above $7.85 a bushel, up almost 80 per cent in a little over a month. In Paris, European wheat hit €222.75 a tonne, up 6.6 per cent on the day.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/485c93ae-a06f ... abdc0.html

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

I have friends in Latvia and their telling me that its a lot hotter than Normal but its the lack of rain thats their biggest problem, looks like it could be bad harvests this year.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Re: Russian heat wave : REPORT FROM MOSCOW

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39 pm

My mother lives in Moscow. She complained to me that since June the temperatures have been rising. Now it is at 102F. It beat all Moscow temp records. The forecast for August is the same. High temps.

Keep in mind, most of Moscow does not have air conditioning. A lot of cars (especially older ones) do not have air conditioning.

The fires have been burning outside of Moscow. Now, my mother says, that smoke has reached Moscow and filled it completely. The city is full of smug. Visibility is low. She can not see several yards in front of her. They can not sleep. They can not open windows. However, even with windows closed the smoke gets in. Their throats have this constant tickling sensation. My mother wets her curtains in order to stop smug coming into the apartment. They are very discouraged.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

View from space:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=45046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gigantic images at the link
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Wow! Thanks! It really puts it in perspective!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Library internet is messing up. Anyone price a 25 or 50 pound sack of wheat (red or white) lately?
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Valarius wrote:Library internet is messing up. Anyone price a 25 or 50 pound sack of wheat (red or white) lately?

50 lb hard red wheat organic.. $32.01.

It will take a bit for the futures prices to hit the system. The impact of the Russian ban I think is unknown until harvest reports come in from other countries as to their harvest.

New article today:
If prices rise further, the situation could resemble 2008, when drought in Australia and embargoes across Asia in foodstuffs like rice disrupted the global food supply and prompted some rioting.

But there is an important difference between the current situation and that last price spike: the Russian drought and ban on wheat exports, in contrast to the global shock in 2008 that drove wheat prices up to nearly $13 a bushel and created tensions in Indonesia and Pakistan, are occurring when global wheat production is plentiful and stocks in the United States are at a 23-year high, analysts said.

“This is still going to be the third-largest wheat crop in world history, even with the Russian shortfall,” said Daniel W. Basse, president of AgResource, an agricultural consultant firm in Chicago. “The question becomes, Will the drought persist, and will there be problems elsewhere, in other big producers like Argentina or Australia?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/busin ... ?src=busln

So possible price rise will be short lived....again end of season will give us better perspective.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am

Just a perspective from on the ground in Moscow: it fucking sucks. The heat wave is bad enough, but the smoke is getting insane. Haze, low visibility, I've been coughing and having a constant headache for about three days now.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:18 am

Damn. Good luck TDW.

This is one of the hottest summers I remember in Louisiana. Normally we don't get to the hundreds until mid to late August. We hit 100 for the first time of the summer in early July.

mad scientist

Post by mad scientist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Biggin215 wrote:Damn. Good luck TDW.

This is one of the hottest summers I remember in Louisiana. Normally we don't get to the hundreds until mid to late August. We hit 100 for the first time of the summer in early July.
Yeah, its hot here... but we all have air conditioners. Those poor bastards (mostly) don't. I hope the heat wave breaks soon for them.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 pm

mad scientist wrote:
Biggin215 wrote:Damn. Good luck TDW.

Yeah, its hot here... but we all have air conditioners. Those poor bastards (mostly) don't. I hope the heat wave breaks soon for them.
Very true. They aren't used to that kind of heat.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Old_Man » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 pm

TDW586 wrote:Just a perspective from on the ground in Moscow: it fucking sucks. The heat wave is bad enough, but the smoke is getting insane. Haze, low visibility, I've been coughing and having a constant headache for about three days now.
The satellite images are unbelievable....I can't imagine on the ground. So at what point do you bug out and more importantly where too?...it looks as if there is almost no place to go. Frankly, a scenario I hadn't considered....massive countrywide fires.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:48 am

I was sent this link a few days ago by a friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB0T2M8j ... r_embedded#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
It really does show just how fast these fires are spreading. I’m not sure if the wind is natural or caused by the fire, though I suspect it’s the fire.

As I’m typing this I’m watching Euronews, Its reporting that the Russians are digging a “Canal” to protect a nuclear power station from the fires and the TV footage from Moscow really does show how bad the smog is.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 am

Old_Man wrote:
TDW586 wrote:Just a perspective from on the ground in Moscow: it fucking sucks. The heat wave is bad enough, but the smoke is getting insane. Haze, low visibility, I've been coughing and having a constant headache for about three days now.
The satellite images are unbelievable....I can't imagine on the ground. So at what point do you bug out and more importantly where too?...it looks as if there is almost no place to go. Frankly, a scenario I hadn't considered....massive countrywide fires.

The US Embassy is not evacuating at this point. Some other embassies (Canadian and Polish that I know of, maybe others) have begun to evacuate non-essential personnel. I, however, am scheduled to leave (because my tour here is ending) on Tuesday, and I can't think of a better time to leave Moscow.

Today isn't so bad, the smoke at least isn't very visible as of now, at 1320 local time. Yesterday was the worst day I've seen, hard to describe. I'll try to throw some pictures up here.

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42 am

The German embassy closed yesterday. They keep a small crew of healthy young volunteers in place to do the necessary work.

The Office of Foreign Affairs issued a travel warning and strongly discourages asthmatics and COPD and bronchitis patients from visits to Russia.
Off the internet until further notice.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:21 pm

50 lb hard red wheat organic.. $32.01.
I almost crapped my pants till I read that twice. They were selling sacks at a preparedness seminar on special for $7 just two months ago. The co-op is a lot less too.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 am

Some photos from Moscow region and around Russia.

Ignore the comments on that blog. The photos, however, are quite good.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2010 ... n-on-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2010 ... more-16629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2010 ... more-16475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Old_Man » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:21 am

In addition to deaths doubling in Moscow...
MOSCOW, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- A state of emergency has been declared in Russia's Urals city of Ozersk, where one of the largest nuclear storage and fuel-reprocessing center Mayak is located, reported RIA Novosti news agency Monday, citing the local administration.

Local authorities claim the move was caused by the "complicated situation" with peat bog fires.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/toxic- ... enter-city

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”