Oil rig explosion & fire near Venice, La.

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Oil rig explosion & fire near Venice, La.

Post by Cybrludite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am

News, such as is available so far, HERE

ED here at work is getting ready for possible casualties to come in.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Oil rig explosion & fire near Venice, La.

Post by Cybrludite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 am

Update: 115 of the 126 aboard accounted for. 8 injured, 3 critically, with one of them airlifted to a burn unit.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Senectute Et Perfidia

yale

Post by yale » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 am

Access to this web page is restricted at this time.

Reason:
The Websense category "Entertainment" is filtered.

Guess I'll have to wait until I get home.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:33 am

wow. I have an uncle who lives in Houma. My prayers go to those not found yet.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:13 am

For those that are filtered:
Oil rig explosion off Plaquemines has big rescue effort underway

Dave Cohen Reporting

An explosion has rocked an oil rig in coastal waters. Crews are working to rescue more than one-hundred people from the rig and the surrounding water off the coast of Plaquemines Parish. The rig is also on fire.

Parish President Billy Nungesser says they know at least three people have been critically injured.

He tells WWL First News that some 120 people were on the rig "Deep Water Horizon" around 11:00pm.

The Trans-Ocean Atlantic Oil Rig is off the coast of Venice, Louisiana.

The U.S. Coast Guard is leading the rescue effort.

Nungesser says as of about 1:00am one person had been airlifted to a burn unit with reportedly extensive injuries.

He says some of the workers were able to get in at least one life boat and get away from the rig.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Alamais2.0

Post by Alamais2.0 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 am

phil_in_cs wrote:For those that are filtered:
Oil rig explosion off Plaquemines has big rescue effort underway

Dave Cohen Reporting

An explosion has rocked an oil rig in coastal waters. Crews are working to rescue more than one-hundred people from the rig and the surrounding water off the coast of Plaquemines Parish. The rig is also on fire.

Parish President Billy Nungesser says they know at least three people have been critically injured.

He tells WWL First News that some 120 people were on the rig "Deep Water Horizon" around 11:00pm.

The Trans-Ocean Atlantic Oil Rig is off the coast of Venice, Louisiana.

The U.S. Coast Guard is leading the rescue effort.

Nungesser says as of about 1:00am one person had been airlifted to a burn unit with reportedly extensive injuries.

He says some of the workers were able to get in at least one life boat and get away from the rig.
Many thanks, many of us get flitered out at work (silly employers :roll: ) i get hit hard if its a blog of any kind, usually just check those out from home.

thanks again.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 am

current tally is 12 missing, 15 injured. The water is warm, so you should be able to last quite a while if you are in the gulf and not otherwise injured. However, with choppers and cutters searching actively, to still be missing after these hours is not a good sign.

http://blogs.chron.com/newswatchenergy/ ... ing_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:58 pm

I will not vouch for these pictures being authentic but a trusted source said these pictures were taken at the site of the rig fire. All I will say is that the rig fire could look like this.

To give you some scale the supply vessel using the fire monitor is likely between 180 feet and 250 feet long.

An oil rig is perhaps the absolutely worst place to be if there is a fire...well ok a plane in the air is likely worse but not by much.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Well... there goes the gas prices again. Just when we finally made it back to $2.64/gal. :evil:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm

grand94jeep wrote:Well... there goes the gas prices again. Just when we finally made it back to $2.64/gal. :evil:

It is a drilling rig not a production platform. The well production was not on line and would not be coming on line for about year assuming this fire had not occurred.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 pm

And it's also one of a thousand :P

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

raptor wrote:
grand94jeep wrote:Well... there goes the gas prices again. Just when we finally made it back to $2.64/gal. :evil:

It is a drilling rig not a production platform. The well production was not on line and would not be coming on line for about year assuming this fire had not occurred.

Whew.. That's a relief.

It seems like every little thing drives fuel prices up. :|
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Jesus. Looking at that fire, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would have gotten out alive and unhurt.

Yes, I know that the fire didn't just leap into existence at that size, but still.

Those platforms are built up way too high to jump from, right? I know that they drill pipes into the ocean floor, but does anything leak and float up to the surface of the water, like a small oil slick? Do they have lifeboats (I assume so, but what do I know?)? If so, do they have to be lowered down on really long cables from the top of the platform, or are there boats on several levels, or what?

Basically, how does one evacuate from a burning oil platform*?

* Besides 'as quickly as fucking possible', I mean.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:28 pm

They have ropes that go down close to water level. There's one every 15' or so. There are also stairs and ladders going down to the boat landing level. The bigger ones have escape boats that can be lowered down.

We've never designed one as big as that one pictured, or close to it. The ones we've done are like... 20 man crew or so. Ours only had ropes and stairs and ladders.

ETA: Oh, and I don't think it's -too- far to jump down... I mean, you -could- possibly get hurt, I guess, but I mean, the alternative is burning alive. If you had a few seconds though, I'd scale down the big rope (with periodic knots) and then drop.

Marinus
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
28 weeks later
Braindead
Dawn of the dead (1978,2004)
Night of the living dead (1968,1990)
Resident evil 1 & 2
Shaun of the dead

Post by Marinus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

shrapnel wrote:Basically, how does one evacuate from a burning oil platform*?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnovzCT ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(This one is from a ship, but many oilplatforms use a similar system.)
This is how the world ends.... Not with a bang, but with a moan.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

How tall are big ones? A fall into water from a height that allows your speed to be around 90 mph is very often fatal- your ribs break and you aren't able to breathe or swim effectively, and/or your spine breaks and you aren't able to swim or breathe effectively, or your limbs break and you aren't able to swim effectively, or... You get the idea.

That is not to say that, if I were on an oil platform, and it was on fire, and I couldn't get to a more sedate means of leaving the platform, I wouldn't jump. I'd rather drown than burn. :cry:
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm

90mph ?

If my math is right...

90miles/hour
475200feet/3600seconds
14,484meters/3600seconds
4m/second

4m/s is like... uh... half a second of drop at 9.8m/s/s ?

ETA: I'm brainfarting. 4m/s doesn't seem right at all for 90mph, so somewhere I goofed. I was trying to find how long it takes to reach 90mph and... screw it I'm going home.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

shrapnel wrote:How tall are big ones?
This is a semi-submersible rig so the height can vary greatly but generally a minimum of 40 feet above the water.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by shrapnel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Full disclosure- I pulled that number from some website after an incredibly cursory Google search. So, the number might be way off. Still, fall for more than 100 or so feet and I suspect that you might not be doing so well. Injuries that wouldn't kill you on dry land are a different story when you have to actively work to avoid drowning.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 am

Latest from Yahoo News
PORT FOURCHON, La. – Buses carrying survivors of a thunderous blast aboard an oil platform off the Louisiana coast are headed to a suburban New Orleans hotel where their families are waiting to greet them.

About 100 workers made it to a supply boat after Tuesday night's explosion. Early Thursday, they arrived in Port Fourchon where they were checked by doctors. Five or six families welcomed them to the coastal town.

Dana Eugene says her brother, Kevin Eugene, was shaken by the scary explosion aboard the rig.

She says he's tired and doesn't look good. She says the family just wants to get home to Slidell northeast of New Orleans.

Coast Guard rescuers are searching for signs of the 11 unaccounted for since the thunderous blast rocked the Deepwater Horizon late Tuesday, leaving 17 injured.

Senectute Et Perfidia

Marinus
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
28 weeks later
Braindead
Dawn of the dead (1978,2004)
Night of the living dead (1968,1990)
Resident evil 1 & 2
Shaun of the dead

Post by Marinus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:17 am

shrapnel wrote:So, the number might be way off. Still, fall for more than 100 or so feet and I suspect that you might not be doing so well. Injuries that wouldn't kill you on dry land are a different story when you have to actively work to avoid drowning.
Falling from that hight you would hit the water at around 93km/h = 57mile/h (not accounting for air resistance so in reality it would be somewhat slower). I really don't know what water would feel like if impacted at such speed, but it sounds awfully unhealthy.
This is how the world ends.... Not with a bang, but with a moan.

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Latest report is that the rig has sunk:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/22/oil.ri ... tml?hpt=T1

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm

confirmation on the sinking, and bit more detail:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bus ... 68685.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TC

Post by TC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:03 am

The Times wrote: Oil spill off US coast ‘five times worse than we thought’, officials admit

BP said that it was escalating its response to a worsening oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico as US officials warned that the amount of crude leaking from the sunken Deepwater Horizon rig was five times greater than originally thought.

A third leak has been discovered at the site of the explosion nine days ago, increasing the amount of oil spilled into the ocean to 5,000 barrels of oil a day compared with an initial estimate of 1,000 barrels, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

BP said that it had deployed 69 vessels including barges and skimmers as well as 100,000ft of boom, which acts as a barrier to contain the oil. It said that more than 76,000 gallons of dispersant chemicals had been sprayed on to the oil to break up the slick.

“We are attacking this spill on all fronts, bringing into play all and any resources and advanced technologies we believe can help,” said Tony Hayward, the BP chief executive.

With no obvious way of shutting off the leak soon, though, the scale of the challenge remains daunting.

Bobby Jindal, the Governor of Louisiana, called on the US Government for emergency assistance to prevent an environmental disaster as the slick threatened to hit fragile marshland along the coast today.

Winds have helped the slick, which spans 100 miles (160km) at its longest and 40 miles at its widest, to move to within 16 miles (26 kilometres) of Louisiana’s coastline.

Mr Jindal said that a part of the slick that had broken off from the main spill was likely to be the first to reach the coast, hitting the Pass-a-Loutre Wildlife Management Area, a haven for birds, fish, sea turtles and other wildlife.

The slick could hit Breton Sound by Saturday and the Chandeleur Islands by Sunday.

The new leak means that within 50 days the slick could reach the size of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill off Alaska.

Officials had previously found two leaks in the riser, the 5,000ft-long pipe that connected the rig to the wellhead. Doug Suttles, chief operating officer for exploration and production for BP, said that a third leak had been discovered closer to the source. “I’m very, very confident this leak is new,” he said.

Strong onshore winds “will move floating oil towards the delta with possible shoreline impacts by Friday night,” NOAA forecast chart said.

Charlie Henry, the administration’s scientific support coordinator, said there was a high risk that southeasterly winds would push emulsified oil and “tar balls” into the delta area by Friday night.

Mr Jindal said in a statement: “Our top priority is to protect our citizens and the environment. These resources are critical to mitigating the impact of the oil spill on our coast.”

A controlled burn of the oil has started, which involves igniting patches of the oil-water mixture inside booms, but this is expected to remove only about 3 per cent of the slick.

It could be enough, though, to prevent onshore wildlife habitats and marshland being overwhelmed. The contamination of Louisiana’s fragile wetlands would be almost impossible to clear up and be disastrous for waterfowl and rare wildlife.

The burn plan is an admission that the $6 million a day (£4 million) operation to bring the crisis under control has failed. Rear Admiral Mary Landry, who is leading the Government’s response to the disaster, said that if the oil well was not secured the spill could become one of the worst in US history.

She said that the oil burn was “just one tool in a tool kit” of plans.

BP is also trying to activate a device on the seabed that is designed to clamp shut over the subsea well. A metal canopy is being built that would be used to siphon off the leaking oil.

The company is moving two new drilling rigs into position to drill “relief wells” that could be used to cap the leak by injecting cement and mud into it.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”