7.3 Earthquake in Haiti

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

7.3 Earthquake in Haiti

Post by grand94jeep » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:19 pm

,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Re: 7.3 Earthquake in Haiti

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Damn.

USGS has revised it to 7.0.

NOAA has issued a tsunami watch, as well.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Scary.

A big earthquake like that is what brought me to this website .... need to be prepared.

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:30 pm

More suckage to what they call " the poorest country in the western hemisphere."
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

Jaybow

Post by Jaybow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm

I can only imagine how much worse an already unstable and unforgiving place like this has become.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 pm

The news said this was the most powerful quake in that area in 200yrs. IIRC :shock:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 pm

This won't be good. The casualties will be huge.
Reports of 24 after shocks over 4.5 since the main one (as of 11:30PM)...one said to be a 5.9 (a decent size shaker itself) :(

I heard they just were forgiven $1billion of their international debt and they finally would have a chance to do some good for themselves.
Also hearing they don't have much in the way of fire departments there and very little in heavy equipment to use for rescue.
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Yeah the before and after pics of the presidential palace are pretty bad....
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

nacho
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sugar Hill (1974)

Post by nacho » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Apparently a large hospital has collapsed. I heard on the radio that about 200 people from the LACo Urban S&R are heading out tonight. This is going to cause total chaos in a country that is always on the verge. :shock:

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am

Yeah, saw those pics of the Palace too. Completely destroyed.

Hearing that the UN headquarters building in Port-Au-Prince has also collapsed.
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 am

You want to see PAW? Look at Haiti right now. I truly hope this brings some intl relief efforts to help these people.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 am

Is ZS goin to do any charity drives or work for the people of Haiti? They are a close neighbor. I think we should all pitch in to see how we can help them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 am

Damn, the place looks like a war zone.. this one is going to have a terrible death toll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IySBl2aq-A

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:08 am

offcamber wrote:Damn, the place looks like a war zone.. this one is going to have a terrible death toll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IySBl2aq-A
1:05 yellow shirt :shock: . I don't think limbs are supposed to bend like that.

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:18 am

bigmattdaddywack wrote:Is ZS goin to do any charity drives or work for the people of Haiti? They are a close neighbor. I think we should all pitch in to see how we can help them.
I can't speak for Zombie Squad at this moment, but if you're itching to help immediately, this just came across my Facebook feed, from the American Red Cross:

American Red Cross If you're on your phone you can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti. If you're online, click the link below. Thank you for your support. (The link is available via their facebook page, or by Googling.)

Hope this helps.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Agent

Post by Agent » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 am

bigmattdaddywack wrote:Is ZS goin to do any charity drives or work for the people of Haiti? They are a close neighbor. I think we should all pitch in to see how we can help them.
Just thinking the same thing, I'd kick in a few bucks. The pictures are pretty intense, PAW for sure (like it wasn't tough enough before the quake! :shock: )
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 am

Not only is this an horrible event, it happened in 2004, it's happening now, and this is only the beginning.

Bluito23

Post by Bluito23 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 am

Good Morning,

I live in S Fl, and there is a large Haitian Population in the region.

There are quite a bit of obstacles and hurdles that have made this earthquake a disaster or large proportions.

1. Poor/Inadequate Infrastructure. Construction is not regulated, and therefore buildings are not constructed using rebar or pre-stressed concrete.

2. Roads and Highways are virtually non-existent outside of Port-Au-Prince.

3. Airport is in bad shape and closed.

4. Electrical service is spotty at best on a good day.

My pastor's family lives in Port-Au-Prince, and he has been unsuccessful in locating family members in the area.

The UN HQ, Presidential Palace and Intl Airport got obliterated.

The best way to get supplies would be via freighter, but no one in the news media has indicated if the sea port is still viable.

Much prayers have been lifted up for Haiti.

Mark

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:59 am

BBC has a slideshow: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8455774.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks really bad, like Mexico City 1985.
Mostly not here anymore.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 am

Just heard on the fox that UN central is not sure if ANYONE in the UN building there, survived... thats scary as hell for what the eventual death toll will end up at. If ZS starts a fund, make sure it takes paypal please.

K9Crew
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead
Day of the Triphid
Zombie Strippers
Machete

Post by K9Crew » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 am

This will be a good topic for us tonight at our Pittsburgh ZS meeting. First need to compile a list of organizations that we can donate to and then we'll talk about what kind of events we want to have to raise money.

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 am

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/ ... f0870aRCRD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Red Cross has been my charity of choice since they came here after Hurricane Ike. First to move in and the last to leave.
You got red on you.

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 am

If any of you want to donate, WAIT.

Not a single penny will get there, not a single piece of food or anything for that matter will get at the right place if you send it right now.

You have to wait. Just like in 2004, hundreds of "donation organisations" will pop-up and tell you they will send them the money you gave. Things have to calm down before anything gets over there.

As for the UN people dying... I care more about people in misery than the scumbags who use the UNICEF to finance their woldwide disarmament (aka Gun Ban) agenda. In my opinion, UN doesn't care about helping the people, they care about controlling the people.

K9Crew
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead
Day of the Triphid
Zombie Strippers
Machete

Post by K9Crew » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am

Artiz wrote:If any of you want to donate, WAIT.

Not a single penny will get there, not a single piece of food or anything for that matter will get at the right place if you send it right now.

You have to wait. Just like in 2004, hundreds of "donation organisations" will pop-up and tell you they will send them the money you gave. Things have to calm down before anything gets over there.
That is why I like to get a list of organizations. I worked with the Red Cross here in Pittsburgh after the flood we had 5 years ago. I was paired with a guy and a van and told that we were going to a community to get some cots and take them to another community center. At 9am we drove to an area that looked devastated and got about 10 old army folding cots. Loaded them into a van and then headed to another devastated area. Dropped off the cots at about 11am. Then this guy tells me that we have to stop by Wal-Mart to see what his wife needs. We are there for about 20 minutes and I'm getting bored and he tells me I can go shopping and buy anything I need. I don't really shop at Wal-Mart and I'm eager to help flood victims and didn't bring like a lot of money with me. So I think we spent another hour hanging around Wal-Mart. Finally we get into the van to head back and this guy starts telling me how he grew up in Pittsburgh and decides to show me where he grew up (about a half hour out of our way). To make a long story short we get back to the main building at 4pm. We delivered 10 very uncomfortable cots with no bedding for the whole day. Seemed like a big waste of time and money to me. Some friends of mine who also volunteered where much more successful and got to actually help people but I'm always skeptical of what group I am donating money or time to nowadays.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”