After I saw this Article I went and bought a Life Hammer

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DamageG.A.Z.E.

After I saw this Article I went and bought a Life Hammer

Post by DamageG.A.Z.E. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:10 pm

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.as ... yid=135527
" LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The desperate pleas of a Gwinnett County woman are bringing a shocking sense of reality to the flooding that gripped Metro Atlanta this week.

An audio recording of a Monday morning 911 call between Seydi Burciaga and a Gwinnett County 911 operator was released Wednesday. The recording is approximately ten minutes long.

Throughout the call, Burciaga is heard trying to describe her surroundings to a female 911 operator. That operator can be heard asking Burciaga to describe her surroundings, attempt to break a window and remain calm.

Unable to open the doors, break a window or provide distinct information about her location, Burciaga can be heard crying and pleading for help throughout the call. "The water is rising up to my neck," she is heard saying at one point. Emergency responders lost contact with her at 5:16 a.m.

Burciaga was killed Monday morning when the van she was driving got caught in flood waters and was dragged downstream. Her body was found two hours later, in the back of the van, about 300 yards south of Desiree Drive in a densely wooded marsh. She is presumed to have drowned. "

I think everyone should have one! I never thought it was that big of a deal but it could have saved this ladies life. RIP. Probably wouldn't be a bad Idea in an urban bob either.
David

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Re: After I saw this Article I went and bought a Life Hammer

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:13 pm

lots of sad stories this season, as like every bloody season before, but yeah, use it as an educational experience if it's possible.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Sadly this is also one of those things I've always said "I need to get one of those for me..." that I never got around to getting myself... I really need to get one.

TheCrazyAunt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by TheCrazyAunt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:30 pm

So, I was reading up on those lifehammers, and they are not effective on laminated glass. The front windshields are generally laminated glass, and side windows on some cars (high-end) are also laminated.
I called the dealer ship where we bought our car and the parts guy was kind enough to look up our car and the side windows are not.

So I'll be adding one of these to our car, knowing that it will work on the side windows.
My BOB and EDC
Well, you're kind of like an irritable Buddhist: every once in a while you get pissed and throw shit out.
Ok. But dogs can look up.

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm

TheCrazyAunt wrote:So, I was reading up on those lifehammers, and they are not effective on laminated glass. The front windshields are generally laminated glass, and side windows on some cars (high-end) are also laminated.
I called the dealer ship where we bought our car and the parts guy was kind enough to look up our car and the side windows are not.

So I'll be adding one of these to our car, knowing that it will work on the side windows.

wait. what cars have side laminated glass? I've never heard that.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

DamageG.A.Z.E.

Post by DamageG.A.Z.E. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

not mine I dont think I do have a "LUXURY" 96 Civic tho hmmm
David

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

So, what, a regular ball peen hammer won't break glass anymore?
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:43 pm

very sad. :( I presume she couldn't open the door due to pressure and perhaps the windows were electronic and wouldn't respond?

there is a thread on the ResQMe (smaller version) for those interested in obtaining one:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =6&t=50887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see also the thread below)
There's probably a thread on the Life Hammer too.

there's also a good video on what to do if your car submerges in water from the Today show.
thread here: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w=previous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
direct video here
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:So, what, a regular ball peen hammer won't break glass anymore?
I'm sure it would, but will it cut your seat belt if necessary? Tools with multiple uses > uni-taskers.

That said, I don't have a ball peen hammer in my truck cab either, so I want -something-

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Same thing happened near my town, a young woman a little intoxicated drove off the road around 3:00am one night into a drainage pond, she managed to call 911 with her cell screaming she couldn't get out of her car. By the time they found her she had drowned.

I also need one of these, but keep putting it at the back of my mental list.
You got red on you.

TheCrazyAunt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by TheCrazyAunt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:06 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:
TheCrazyAunt wrote:So, I was reading up on those lifehammers, and they are not effective on laminated glass. The front windshields are generally laminated glass, and side windows on some cars (high-end) are also laminated.
wait. what cars have side laminated glass? I've never heard that.
Some mercedes-benz have laminated rear-window glass and it is offered as an option by some automakers.
I drive plain old cars! No worries here.
Laminated glass for other than windshields seems to be touted as an anti-theft feature.
My BOB and EDC
Well, you're kind of like an irritable Buddhist: every once in a while you get pissed and throw shit out.
Ok. But dogs can look up.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Man I would hate to be the dispatcher on these calls, or the responding units trying to find the people.

Don't have a hammer in my car but do keep my revolver, guess if I can't smash my way out I could always blow my ear drums (and hopefully not pass out) by shooting the window... beats drowning.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm

I have a 12 ounce hammer, a tire iron and a 1-ton floor jack in my Jeep. One of those should break a window.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm

jtnieman wrote:
I'm sure it would, but will it cut your seat belt if necessary? Tools with multiple uses > uni-taskers.
But it won't tighten a loose vacuum tree like the 10" crescent wrench in my glove box will.

Hammer: breaks glass, useful for all manner of percussive maintenance (emergency and otherwise)
Crescent wrench: breaks glass, useful for all manner of gentle abusive percussive maintenance and as an OK emergency wrench. Will remove a stuck gas cap.
Knife: Opens lunch, opens jammed seat belt. Rescues duct taped kitties.

And I feel naked if my knife isn't clipped to my pocket, and it's a seatbelt lightsaber. What you've got with you that works just as well and is a multi-tasker > spending more money for a multi-tasker that has a more narrow range of uses.

Hell, the ball peen will probably get you out of laminated windshields if you're fast enough.

I suppose it's a different story if other people drive your car. Though, anyone that borrows my car knows where the wrench is. The problem might be them not realizing the wrench can be useful in that particular emergency, whereas they might make the connection that a purpose built glass smasher would make a good glass smasher a lot easier.

DamageG.A.Z.E.

Post by DamageG.A.Z.E. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm

its not meant to be a replacement for anything else just an addition to also it has its on mount so you can mount it on the dash for instance bc who know if youll be able to reach or get into your glove box in the event youll need to...
David

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Personally I do not have a life hammer even though there are many drainage ditches and bodies around my house. I do however have a crow bar that I keep in the back for exactly this purpose. My car will settle nose first with the ass end up since like most vehicles the engine is in the front and gas tank in the back.

I keep the crowbar in the back secured in place. Note a crow bar is cheap and can be used both as a lever and as glass breaking device. It is also useful for other tasks.

Get a crowbar. Regardless of what you chose make sure it is both secure so it does not become projectile and you know where it is and preferably keep near where you will need it.

GunnBorn
Favorite Zombie Movies: army of darkness
dawn of the dead

Post by GunnBorn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Do you guys think that the handle of a pocket folding knife would be sufficient to bust out a window? I was thinking about this the other day, you see...i go to the gym everyday and sometimes enjoy some relaxtion in the sauna. now if you've been in a sauna you know its HOT AS HELL, naturally. Now my paranoid mind got to thinking, what if for some reason the door got jammed and I couldnt get out, how would I bust out the glass to escape? I looked around the room and there was nothing in there besides wooden benches, I could maybe manage to loose a wooden plank and use that to smash out...then I got to thinking my aformentioned questions, would the handle of a pocket folder be enough to bust it out? Say held in the hand and hammer fisted into the glass ?

Would it work on a car door window?

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 pm

I used to carry a crowbar in my vehicle because it's a handy overall tool to have for a vehicle. I'm the kind of type who will actually CHANGE HIS OWN FLAT TIRE, believe it or not (yea, we still exist, us cave men) but one day when being pulled over for 3mph (I know it was 3, even got the ticket for it, all $10 of it... hope he felt THAT was worth the hassle) and the douche gave me shit over having it laying behind my driver seat, asking questions about burglary and that it's a weapon and blah blah I'm a dick blah blah peckerhead blah blah.

I was in my mid-late teens at the time and was kind of a smartass to the cop so I only made it worse, but he was just being a jerk as a person all around. I only had the crowbar there because my dad pushed me to keep it there...

...SHORT of an already too long story... "life hammer" is much more inconspicuous to have within arms reach of the driver when pulled over than a crowbar is, I think. It's my expectation that a cop would not feel nearly as threatened if someone had that there, than if they had a plain ol' cheap crowbar. I'd be less likely to be asked to step out of the vehicle, less likely for him to continue looking around through the window for anything else of suspicion, etc etc, and it'll all go much smoother for me all around. I'm of the belief that -everyone- has -something- that is illegal in or on their vehicle that a cop, if desired, could fault you for and make you have a bad night, and it's just best to not give them a reason to "do their job" any more than they have to.

(hmm, I take back the "short" and I'll substitute a "medium" I guess)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:10 pm

jtnieman wrote: I'm of the belief that -everyone- has -something- that is illegal in or on their vehicle that a cop, if desired, could fault you for and make you have a bad night, and it's just best to not give them a reason to "do their job" any more than they have to.
I do not keep the crow bar on the seat next to me. I keep in the back of my vehicle which is an SUV. I am assuming that is the end of the vehicle that is most likely to be floating and where I would move if I could not escape via the door or sunroof. The crowbar is also secured to prevent it from becoming a projectile.

The few times I have gotten pulled over after I show them my CCW permit (as required by law) they are more interested in the CCW than any crowbar. :D

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 pm

jtnieman wrote: I'm of the belief that -everyone- has -something- that is illegal in or on their vehicle that a cop, if desired, could fault you for and make you have a bad night, and it's just best to not give them a reason to "do their job" any more than they have to.
According to my brother (who was a couple credits from his bachelor's in Criminal Justice and has attended the PSP academy), one of his instructors (who was previously a state trooper) told his class that "Its a poor excuse for a policeman who can't find a reason to pull someone over and hold them.".
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

codecowboy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by codecowboy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Actually...not always. Side glass on a car is tempered and very strong. The weak part is a hit on the edge. I've seen 4'x8' sheets of tempered glass deflect hammers thrown at the, bricks, you name it. One little tap on the side will blow it up though. The beauty of that hammer is the sharp point. Its a striking force in a very precise impact point which will shatter the tempered glass. It'll work underwater too. You probably couldn't swing the ball peen hammer fast enough to break a window if the car is under water.

Funny side story for you. My Mom was once bitching at my Dad about not having one of those hammers in her van. She asked "How am I supposed to break out the window if the van is going underwater?!?!?"

I looked at both of them and said, "Mom...I'm not expert...but that .380 in the glove compartment will probably do a fine job."
---Codecowboy

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm

If the seat belt wasn't releasing, then I wouldn't be able to reach the glove box to get the hammer to cut the seat belts. I will just rely on my pocket knife instead. My vehicles are older, so the side glass is not laminated. I could break it with my keys if I had to escape. Sometimes people just panic and don't take the needed time to assess the situation.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

fauxhican

Post by fauxhican » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 am

My wife fights me tooth and nail about preps, doesn't think anything is worth spending money on. As soon as I showed her the video of those two off duty fire fighters trying to get that kid out of the burning SUV a few months ago, we got ResQMe devises for every key chain in the house. There are a lot of things in my vehicle that can break glass, or cut a seat belt, but having something constantly hanging from the ignition means I can always find it if I need it. Even if I'm stuck upside down in the dark or underwater. Most importantly, my son will hopefully never be that kid on the video, or drown in his car seat.

DamageG.A.Z.E.

Post by DamageG.A.Z.E. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 am

dukman wrote:If the seat belt wasn't releasing, then I wouldn't be able to reach the glove box to get the hammer to cut the seat belts. I will just rely on my pocket knife instead. My vehicles are older, so the side glass is not laminated. I could break it with my keys if I had to escape. Sometimes people just panic and don't take the needed time to assess the situation.
Mines attached to the dash in reach of my seat...thats the reason they make the mounting plate so its not out of reach in ur glove box..
David

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”