Active Domestic terror cell arrested

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halcyon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Blade Runner
Gardens of Stone
24 (people are Zombies Too!)

Active Domestic terror cell arrested

Post by Halcyon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am

Sounds like a legitimate bust to me

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534983,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WASHINGTON — A father, his two sons and four other men living in North Carolina are accused of military-style training at home and plotting "violent jihad" abroad, federal authorities said.

Officials said Monday the men were led by Daniel Patrick Boyd, a married 39-year-old who lived in an unassuming lakeside home in a rural area south of Raleigh, where he and his family walked their dog and operated a drywall business.

But court records indicate Boyd was a veteran of terrorist training camps in Pakistan and Afghanistan who fought against the Soviet Union.
Me wrote:
some H23er wrote: you can give a man a fish, and feed him for but a day after his unemployment check runs out, but if you give him a handgun, he'll act more like a man, and maybe vote the bastards out next time
I am Legend? No, more like rumor. First there was Bubba, and then rumors of Bubba. WWBD? Bubba's a III%er
http://tennesseepreppersnetwork.blogspot.com

Duffman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Active Domestic terror cell arrested

Post by Duffman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:23 am

1 down, ____ to go.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 am

"Several of the defendants, including Boyd, were also charged with practicing military tactics on a private property in Caswell County in June and July of this year."

:shock: I'd love to know what this meant.
ImageImage

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:29 am

Jvandenhaus wrote:"Several of the defendants, including Boyd, were also charged with practicing military tactics on a private property in Caswell County in June and July of this year."

SRSLY.

BTW, dupe thread.
Mostly not here anymore.

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 am

Apparently there were no domestic threats being presented by these guys, and all the news accounts I can find are real non-specific as to where out in "abroad" they were planning on acting.

Though the idea of the US as a refuge for terror training facilities is interesting.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Yaivenov
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?

Post by Yaivenov » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:36 am

Jvandenhaus wrote:"Several of the defendants, including Boyd, were also charged with practicing military tactics on a private property in Caswell County in June and July of this year."

In itself it means nothing more than that they practiced military tactics on private property. However my take on including it in the story is that the intent of the message was to be defamatory without actually breaking the law. To induce a (quite potentially false) public image of evil violent militarism, hence the additional 'quote' of "violent jihad." Oh and sensationalism too.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

The information that has come out subsequently is that the cell wanted to go to Israel and commit violent Jihad there. The primary defendant's wife, Sabrina Boyd, fully covered by a burka, was interviewed by Fox today. She said that they are Muslim converts but not jihadists. She says that the family exercises their constitutional rights to own firearms. That the "military training" was nothing more the a father teaching his sons marksmanship so they can earn their rifle shooting merit badges to become Eagle Scouts. She claims the FBI set them up.

Furthermore that they used a dispicable tactic to get her and her pregnant sister-in-law out of the house to search it without witnesses. The Boyd family previously lost a third son in a fatal car accident. The state police showed up with another man who was wearing a bloody shirt. They told her that her husband and sons were involved in a car wreck and to go to the state police station. Once they were at the station they were told of the arrest of her husband and sons and to get an attorney.

I want to see how the trial goes and what the jury says on this case.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Istvan56 wrote:The information that has come out subsequently is that the cell wanted to go to Israel and commit violent Jihad there. The primary defendant's wife, Sabrina Boyd, fully covered by a burka, was interviewed by Fox today. She said that they are Muslim converts but not jihadists. She says that the family exercises their constitutional rights to own firearms. That the "military training" was nothing more the a father teaching his sons marksmanship so they can earn their rifle shooting merit badges to become Eagle Scouts. She claims the FBI set them up.

Furthermore that they used a dispicable tactic to get her and her pregnant sister-in-law out of the house to search it without witnesses. The Boyd family previously lost a third son in a fatal car accident. The state police showed up with another man who was wearing a bloody shirt. They told her that her husband and sons were involved in a car wreck and to go to the state police station. Once they were at the station they were told of the arrest of her husband and sons and to get an attorney.

Always 2 sides to a story. Usually in the United States you hear about 20% of one side of the story amplified by about 60,000 percent. Keep us posted.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Istvan56 wrote:Furthermore that they used a dispicable tactic to get her and her pregnant sister-in-law out of the house to search it without witnesses. The Boyd family previously lost a third son in a fatal car accident. The state police showed up with another man who was wearing a bloody shirt. They told her that her husband and sons were involved in a car wreck and to go to the state police station. Once they were at the station they were told of the arrest of her husband and sons and to get an attorney.

They did WHAT? Oh man that's beyond uncalled for. Why, exactly, did they need to search the house without witnesses? I mean, surely they had to have had a really good reason, like they were afraid the wife and her sister-in-law were going to start attacking support beams with axes in a desperate attempt to bring the entire house crashing down on the officers, or they were afraid that the sister-in-law's 'pregnancy' was really explosives cunningly disguised, or something. Even if it is technically legal to blatantly lie to people like that, I'm astonished that anyone would actually do it.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

gronch

Post by gronch » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I can't find anything about laws prohibiting me from practicing military tactics on my private property. I mean if I want to stand around in line and make triplicate forms of every little thing, that's my own damned business.
Awesome-sauce.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 pm

gronch wrote:I can't find anything about laws prohibiting me from practicing military tactics on my private property. I mean if I want to stand around in line and make triplicate forms of every little thing, that's my own damned business.
QOTD
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Skinny
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04

Post by Skinny » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

:shock:
Wait, since when is "practicing military tactics on private property" illegal? I mean as long as your not blowing shit up, not planning a revolution or terrorist action, and no property or people gets damaged or killed, wheres the harm?

What exactly do they mean by "practicing military tactics"? So practicing miliary tactics is what; shooting guns, playing paintball, doing military exercises, learning survival in the woods, hunting? I think our laws need some chlorine bleach added to it, to kill the fungus. :roll:
AK-47 Shopping Channel!!

Where is my AK... :(

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 pm

The details about military tactics were included to make the folks accused seem scarier, not because playing army is illegal in and of itself.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

yale

Post by yale » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Skinny wrote: :shock:
Wait, since when is "practicing military tactics on private property" illegal? I mean as long as your not blowing shit up, not planning a revolution or terrorist action, and no property or people gets damaged or killed, wheres the harm?

What exactly do they mean by "practicing military tactics"? So practicing miliary tactics is what; shooting guns, playing paintball, doing military exercises, learning survival in the woods, hunting? I think our laws need some chlorine bleach added to it, to kill the fungus. :roll:
It's been illegal Since it was signed into law->Washington. Anti-militia. Wash. Rev. Code § 38.40.120.
Actually several states have laws against paramilitary training. Here in Louisiana there is a law against paramilitary type training. Here's a link with some info on the subject- http://www.adl.org/mwd/faq5.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm

men living in North Carolina are accused of military-style training
So I guess they'll be raiding the Blackwater training facility in Moyock next?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

razi

Post by razi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Istvan56 wrote:The information that has come out subsequently is that the cell wanted to go to Israel and commit violent Jihad there. The primary defendant's wife, Sabrina Boyd, fully covered by a burka, was interviewed by Fox today. She said that they are Muslim converts but not jihadists. She says that the family exercises their constitutional rights to own firearms. That the "military training" was nothing more the a father teaching his sons marksmanship so they can earn their rifle shooting merit badges to become Eagle Scouts. She claims the FBI set them up.

grrrr. GRRRR. If this is true, I hope some heads roll for it.

Figuratively, of course.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 am

RCW 38.40.120 wrote: Authorized military organizations.

No organized body other than the recognized militia organizations of this state, armed forces of the United States, students of educational institutions where military science is a prescribed part of the course of instruction or bona fide veterans organizations shall associate themselves together as a military company or organize or parade in public with firearms: PROVIDED, That nothing herein shall be construed to prevent authorized parades by the organized militia of another state or armed forces of foreign countries. Any person participating in any such unauthorized organization shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

[1989 c 19 § 53; 1943 c 130 § 54; Rem. Supp. 1943 § 8603-54. Prior: 1909 c 249 § 294; 1903 c 135 § 1.]
Not much of an "anti-militia" bill, certainly the misdemeanor charge won't scare anyone...
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Authorized military organizations.

No organized body other than the recognized militia organizations of this state, armed forces of the United States, students of educational institutions where military science is a prescribed part of the course of instruction or bona fide veterans organizations shall associate themselves together as a military company or organize or parade in public with firearms: PROVIDED, That nothing herein shall be construed to prevent authorized parades by the organized militia of another state or armed forces of foreign countries. Any person participating in any such unauthorized organization shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
If you parse it out, there are two critical elements of the offense: 1) associating together as a "military company," or 2) parade in public with firearms. A good lawyer could blow holes in the first element in a number of ways. What does "associating together" mean? Is it defined in the "terms and definitions" of the legal code? Is "military company" defined in the "terms and definitions" of the legal code, or will the court resort to a plain English definition? "Parading in public" with firearms is more or less self-explanatory, subject to whatever "parading" and "public" are supposed to mean.

So if we have a group of guys who like to get together and wear surplus gear and shoot on private property, but don't have a rank structure and haven't organized under a charter. Does that make them a "military company?" Were they "parading in public" under arms? Methinks this has more to do with their unpopular religious convictions than anything else.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

witchdoctor556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Trilogy

Post by witchdoctor556 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:33 pm

I think it is a bit of spice added by the media and .gov to make these men seem like terrible supervillians. I guess I am guilty of training cause I went shooting at a public range and there were other people there.... and I gave someone instruction and advice... OH NO... HIDE ME!!!! The FEDS are coming!!!!
Official Retail Dealer for Condor Tactical Gear - email me at Countryroadoutfitters@yahoo.com
*General Disclaimer - I am not responsible for you or anyone else. If you take my advise don't complain about it and don't sue me. All medical advice is given in good faith, do not try to do anything you are not trained to do.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Chef wrote:So if we have a group of guys who like to get together and wear surplus gear and shoot on private property, but don't have a rank structure and haven't organized under a charter. Does that make them a "military company?" Were they "parading in public" under arms? Methinks this has more to do with their unpopular religious convictions than anything else.
I looked up the Texas statue they refereed to, and I think it is an anti-KKK law. I can't see a grand jury in Texas putting out an indictment on people training on private property.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm

In 2008, [FBI Agent Michael] Sutton said, Boyd told his son to start collecting money and receive executive security training. Boyd told his son he had already collected $11,000 and, in a secret recording, told his son they should rob a Wells Fargo truck to get more.

"You must do it for the sake of Allah," he said in the recording.

There is no indication the robbery plans were carried out.
Agents collected evidence from a property in Caswell County where defendants are alleged to have been training with military style weapons. A bullet-riddled piece of metal was presented as evidence of the group's use of armor-piercing ammunition.

When arrested, Sutton said, Daniel Boyd was carrying an FN-57 semiautomatic handgun, which is said to fire rifle rounds that can pierce police armor. His son Dylan had a 9mm handgun at the time of arrest, Sutton said, and both were known to carry them.

Boyd tried to draw a firearm he kept at his waist, Sutton said. His son Dylan did not comply with FBI agents and had to be subdued.

Other training included a $999 course, taken in Las Vegas, which taught survival skills, assassination and how to escape captivity.

Subasic had taken the assassination and survival course, Sutton said, and had also purchased weapons. A cellular phone seized from Hassan showed a video recording dated May 2 that showed high-powered weapons being fired.
He described all defendants as dangerous and said they have made comments that would harm Americans. Boyd, he added, saw a group of American humvees one day and told a government witness, "We should take them out right now."

At the Boyds' home, agents found gas masks, 27,000 rounds of ammunition and a trench-like bunker believed to be designed for hiding weapons.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/ ... 69321.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to know how Boyd's comments could harm Americans. :roll: Lousy reporting.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am

Terror suspects' bail denied

(Raleigh) News & Observer
Posted: Thursday, Aug. 06, 2009

RALEIGH A half-dozen young men could spend the rest of their lives in prison for rubbing shoulders with a man whom federal investigators say stockpiled military weapons and ranted about plots to murder those without faith in Islam.

Prosecutors said they have a pile of evidence against the supposed ringleader, Daniel Boyd. Against the others: vague connections and travel plans that defense attorneys say they can easily explain away.

Boyd and five of the young men were denied bail Wednesday. Another had his hearing continued.

The seven men were arrested last week after federal investigators wrapped up a four-year investigation linking the Triangle men to a home-grown terror plot. An eighth accused man is at large and thought to be in Pakistan.

Prosecutors pegged Boyd, a 39-year-old drywaller from Johnston County, as the ringleader and arrested the six younger men, including two of his sons.

In Boyd's truck and at his home in Willow Spring, agents found gas masks, 26 guns and 27,000 rounds of ammunition.

Supporters and U.S. Magistrate Judge William Webb raised questions about the heft of the government's evidence. In the end, Webb decided that the accumulation of information presented made turning the defendants loose too risky.
Mostly not here anymore.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 pm

dogbane wrote:I'd like to know how Boyd's comments could harm Americans. :roll: Lousy reporting.
"Sticks and stones"... Yeah, that's just bad writing.

"...have made comments that would harm Americans" =/= "...have made comments that they would harm Americans."

Nothing they say can hurt me...
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm

if he parents anything like my dad did...
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”