H1N1 pandemic news started 06/11/2009

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JakkSchitt

Re: H1N1 pandemic news started 06/11/2009

Post by JakkSchitt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Does Dr Gupta's wife routinely give him IV's at home when he has the regular flu? I think Dr Gupta is a moron and is misleading the general public.. AND.. just because Anderson Cooper did not have a fever doesnt mean he didnt have H1N1. 30% of people with H1N1 do not present with a fever.
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

propdoc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by propdoc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Virulent Swine Flu Could Trigger Rationing Of Ventilators
By Scott Hensley
Right now, a doomsday scenario doesn't seem likely. The second wave of H1N1 looks a lot like the usual seasonal flu and not a reprise of the Spanish Flu, the 1918 pandemic that killed 50 million or more.

Still, public health officials are preparing for the worst and that means coming up with plans for who would get a ventilator and who wouldn't. Rationing of ventilators could pit the families of people with serious non-flu illnesses against those of acutely ill flu patients.

ProPublica's Sheri Fink writes about controversial guidelines in the works that could, for instance, allow hospitals to withhold ventilators from people with chronic, irreversible illnesses, such as cancer, so that flu patients would get breathing help instead.
continues here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/09 ... tough.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

File it under worse case senerio

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:50 pm

propdoc wrote:Virulent Swine Flu Could Trigger Rationing Of Ventilators
I read about that at another source as well, but was waiting for further reports before feeling freaked. I'm not clear why hospitals aren't simply acquiring more ventilators, or setting up a system in place to acquire quickly more should the situation require it.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 pm

A friend of mine used to work for a company that made them for hospitals and there extremely expensive. And I also believe there slow to build so a limited number are made every year. I could be wrong with some of that info as I haven't seen said friend in a while so things may have changed over the years.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

String

Post by String » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm

What's really funny is no one knows how many ventilators are out there. So if one hospital needs to borrow a few they won't know whom to ask. How many years now since the SARS/Bird flu scare? They just started working on this a few days ago.

http://www.aarc.org/nvs/map.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Add to the equation the fact that not just any Joe Schmoe can operate a ventilator. It requires special training. It doesn't matter how many vents a hospital has if they don't have the trained staff and doctors to operate them.
Y.T. wrote:
I read about that at another source as well, but was waiting for further reports before feeling freaked. I'm not clear why hospitals aren't simply acquiring more ventilators, or setting up a system in place to acquire quickly more should the situation require it.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:23 pm

They are refering to Washington the state here:

Washington OKs mercury in swine flu vaccine

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_w ... ccine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- The state Health Department will allow more mercury than usual in some of the swine flu vaccine to make sure shots are available to pregnant women and children under three.

The department says mercury-free swine flu vaccine may not always be in stock, so it wants to give people the choice of using vaccine with the mercury preservative called thimerosal. While thimerosal is believed to be safe, most vaccines for children under six are thimerosal-free.

The suspension of the mercury limit announced Thursday lasts six months and applies only to the swine flu vaccine expected to become available in October.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Pediatric Deaths in Flu-Infested Schools in KY KS and OK
Recombinomics Commentary 22:22
September 24, 2009

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/09240 ... eaths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The death Wednesday of a seventh-grader at Caldwell County Middle School in Western Kentucky may be related to H1N1 flu, school officials said Thursday.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment announced two deaths in connection with the H1N1 flu virus this morning.
Both cases involve "northeast Kansas," but a specific county or location was not given.
A 16-year-old died from a case of the virus

A teenage Cleveland County girl has died from swine flu, bringing the number of deaths from the new strain of influenza virus to three since it emerged in the U.S. in April, health officials said Thursday.
The girl was described as between the ages of 15 and 19.

The above comments describe fatal infections in teenagers in KY, KS, and OK. The death in KY is just north of H1N1 outbreaks (see map) in northern TN (see map). Similarly there have been multiple outbreaks in northeast Kansas (see map) and the Cleveland County area in OK (see map).

These three fatalities follow reports of deaths in a school in SC that was closed because of excessive absenteeism and a school in CO where absenteeism exceeded 10%. These five deaths, announce over a 24 hour period raise concerns that the massive outbreaks associated with the start of the new school year are leading to unnecessary student deaths in schools over-run with swine flu, which was recently seen in outbreaks in the south following the start of the school year in early August.

Most of these cases involve previously healthy students, who in several instances are star athletes who die shortly after infection. Deaths in this age group are rare. Pediatric fatalities due to seasonal flu have been less than 100 for each year following the requirement for mandatory reporting of pediatric deaths, so five reported deaths in a 24 hour period are cause for concern.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 pm

CDC: Rapid tests miss many swine flu cases

Findings suggest doctors should simply treat symptoms

By Julie Steenhuysen
Reuters
updated 4:44 p.m. ET, Thurs., Sept . 24, 2009
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33006971/ns ... swine_flu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHICAGO - A study of rapid influenza tests found they miss many cases of swine flu, and U.S. health experts said on Thursday they are not worth the trouble for this flu season.

A study looking at the effectiveness of a rapid flu test in the first few weeks of the H1N1 pandemic in May found it detected less than half of the cases later confirmed by more sophisticated tests.

The findings, which appeared in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on death and disease, confirm the CDC's current guidelines, which stress that people with flu-like symptoms should get quick treatment, before getting a flu test.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told reporters at a briefing that doctors should simply treat symptoms and not bother with testing.

"The flu is the flu is the flu," she said.

In September, the CDC said doctors should not wait for laboratory confirmation of H1N1 because quick treatment is important and because a negative rapid test does not rule out the flu.

The latest study, conducted by Dr. James Sabetta and colleagues at the Greenwich Hospital and the Greenwich Department of Health in Connecticut, shows why.

They collected data on patients from two school outbreaks of pandemic H1N1 flu in May. They did rapid flu diagnostic tests on 63 patients using the Xpect Flu A&B test by Remel, a unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific, and more sophisticated lab tests.

They found the rapid flu test detected just 47 percent of the pandemic flu cases later confirmed by a slower, but highly accurate test called real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction, or rRT-PCR, which checks for the genetic material of the virus.

The findings confirm an earlier study by the CDC that found quick flu tests caught just 40 percent to 69 percent of swine flu cases. That study, released in August, looked at three popular flu tests — BinaxNow, made by Inverness Medical Innovations, Becton Dickinson's Directigen EZ Flu A+B test and Quidel's QuickVue.

The CDC said the findings confirm their current guidelines, and stress that treating flu —whether seasonal or pandemic — is more important than knowing what kind a person has.

"Almost everybody will almost certainly not know what kind of flu they had," Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC told the briefing.

Many companies are working on better rapid tests including GlaxoSmithKline and Enigma Diagnostics, Seegene, a company based in South Korea and Maryland, DxNA based in Utah, and Osmetech PLC, based in California.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Here's a trend map and graph for those interested in comparing the current H1N1-09 virus with seasonal flus of the last little bit.

http://www.google.org/flutrends/intl/en_us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:Here's a trend map and graph for those interested in comparing the current H1N1-09 virus with seasonal flus of the last little bit.

http://www.google.org/flutrends/intl/en_us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scary.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:59 am

DAILY FATALITY SUMMARY (Reports posted on September 24,2009)

UNITED STATES 8
Alabama 1
Connecticut 1
Kansas 2
Kentucky 1*
Missouri 1*
Nevada
Oklahoma 1

CANADA 0

WORLDWIDE 36
China(Hong Kong) 3
Dominican Republic 13*
Hungary 1
India 15
Isreal 1
Portugal 1*
South Korea 1
Vietnam 1

NOTES:The Kentucky and Missouri cases are unconfirmed.The Dominican Republic`s figure is the difference from the previously available national total.Portugal has had it`s first fatality.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:Add to the equation the fact that not just any Joe Schmoe can operate a ventilator. It requires special training. It doesn't matter how many vents a hospital has if they don't have the trained staff and doctors to operate them.
Y.T. wrote:
Add to that: they've been laying off hospital staff (which includes nurses) at light speed lately, to try and stay afloat in the recession/depression. There is a severe shortage of nurses in the best of times.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8274374.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK swine flu vaccine 'approved'

The European drugs regulator has given the go-ahead for one of the UK's swine flu vaccines.

An expert committee agreed that Pandemrix, made by GlaxoSmithKline, can be used in adults and children over six months old and pregnant women.
They're starting a child trial at my hospital, too. Things are cranking on apace!

As for vents: yup, you can't just pop down to vents-R-us for some and give the user manual to a random nurse. Ventilator shortages are coming up across the world as a key probably resource choke. They're expensive to have, fairly expensive to maintain, and hospitals everywhere are running to a budget that doesn't allow for lots of spare kit and skills just in case. Spare capacity, yes - massive spare capacity, no.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

OkieZombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later*, All of Romero's Movies

Post by OkieZombies » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:30 pm

We've spent all this time prepping for zombies and it's a virus that's gonna get us. :-p

I have mixed emotions.... people are starting to disappear from classes, but it seems to just be seasonal flu and colds. I did read in the paper today that the flu is hitting harder and earlier this year in Oklahoma than normally.
Glock 21SF for sale
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JamesCannon wrote:First they came for the cough medicine and I said nothing, because my throat hurt.

Code: Select all

A65864
Opn U  Pro D  Rev U
Ltd U  L10 C  SS  U
http://www.uspsa.org/cgi-bin/db_lookup_class.cgi?number=a65864

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:34 pm

If someone is out now with the flu it is H1n1. 99% of the samples tested by the CDC have come back as H1N1, not seasonal flu.
Jakk

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm

OkieZombies wrote:We've spent all this time prepping for zombies and it's a virus that's gonna get us. :-p

I have mixed emotions.... people are starting to disappear from classes, but it seems to just be seasonal flu and colds. I did read in the paper today that the flu is hitting harder and earlier this year in Oklahoma than normally.
97% or more of what's out there right now is this crud. Not seasonal flu and colds. If you're sick, there's a 97% or greater chance that you have this stuff. There are other things going around, but don't kid yourself that you're not seeing what you're seeing. Also, it's hitting harder and earlier everywhere, that's the nature of the beast. Especially with the coughing, and the shortness of breath, which I'm still battling days and days and days later.

19kilo

Post by 19kilo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Ellie With An Axe wrote:
Kathy in FL wrote:Add to the equation the fact that not just any Joe Schmoe can operate a ventilator. It requires special training. It doesn't matter how many vents a hospital has if they don't have the trained staff and doctors to operate them.
Y.T. wrote:
Add to that: they've been laying off hospital staff (which includes nurses) at light speed lately, to try and stay afloat in the recession/depression. There is a severe shortage of nurses in the best of times.

Hevn't posted inmonths but would like to chime in on what's going on up here in Erie. We have only gotten 2 confirmed cases of H1N1 From the four local hospitals. I work at two and niether got those two. We have had TONS of flu A though, and it is early so the docs say it is only going to get worse this year. I just finished speaking with one.

As far as ventilators go, We have 300 disposable ventilators that are ready to go if it is needed. And about 30 vents that we use on a daily basis.
As far as staff goes, with a fully staffed hospital it would be hard to keep up with this flu if it gets to epic proportions. I personaly don't see the swine flu being the problem that folks think it's going to be this year. Another year or so and maybe.

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:54 am

The US is beginning to see significant daily additions to the list. The numbers don't look that high 8 one day, 15 the next, so on and so forth but considering not that long ago we only saw one or two confirmed deaths every few deaths this is a big increase.

It's been a while since Florida didn't make up at least one of those daily fatality additions. :( Today they added three.
DAILY FATALITY SUMMARY (Reports posted on September 25,2009)

UNITED STATES 15
Florida 3
Illinois 2
Kansas 2
Louisiana 2
Maryland 1
New Mexico 1
North Carolina 1
Tennessee 1
Texas 1
Virginia 1

CANADA 0

WORLDWIDE 22
China(Hong Kong) 1
India 9
South Africa 12*

NOTES:South Africa`s figure is the difference from the previous national total from September 14.

String

Post by String » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 am

I was curious why you thought this H1N1 wouldn't be too bad this year? Looking at the CDC site it looks like we are heading into a big flu season. I see an exceptional increase in almost all stats. Maybe the most telling is the "Outpatient Illness Surveillance", it looks like it is about 4 times higher than a regular flu season.

I'm also interested to hear what you think your hospitals ability to maintain ventilator service would be like with a 20%-40% absentee (illness/no show) rate might be. Thanks for your insight, it's always nice to hear from someone on the inside.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:30 am

19k, when you say your hospital has 300 disposable vents, do you mean something like Surevent?

I've been seeing that a couple of children's hospitals, one in Austin and one in Memphis, have set up tents to deal with the overload of people coming in to get their kids looked at.

Video of the one in Austin - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... photovideo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (article link under the video)
Article of the Memphis tent - http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/lo ... ime1Q.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (video with the article)

The doctor interviewed in the Austin video said that they predicted a peak of activity about 4 weeks out. Their computer models are also what spurred them to set up the tents, as they predicted the higher flow of patients.

I think it's a pretty good idea. Austere... and some kids frighten easily around hospitals... but still good. I'd like to see other hospitals in the US or elsewhere in the northern hemisphere doing something similar right now.

Elusive Despot

Post by Elusive Despot » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 pm

One of my coworkers has a daughter who does many activities, two of which include cheerleading and dance. On monday he informed me that the cheerleading coordinator/coach/whatever the head person is called, was H1N1 positive and had to be quarantined with her husband and their three children. Two weeks prior, his daughter's dance instructor was also confirmed to have H1N1 and was also placed into quarantine. Mind you where i live, quarantine is being stuck indoors at home, sort of like house-arrest.

We talk regularly about this stuff so he is aware of what he should be doing. So far he and his family are healthy.
A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.- Proverbs 22:3

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm

19kilo, H1N1 is Flu A.

Seasonal flu has not started to ramp up in the States. If you have a rapid test that comes up positive for Flu A, than assume it is H1N1. It has to be subtyped to be confirmed, but they are not confirming the tests unless you are hospitalized or dead.
Jakk

19kilo

Post by 19kilo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 pm

JakkSchitt wrote:19kilo, H1N1 is Flu A.

Seasonal flu has not started to ramp up in the States. If you have a rapid test that comes up positive for Flu A, than assume it is H1N1. It has to be subtyped to be confirmed, but they are not confirming the tests unless you are hospitalized or dead.

Your right. It is a subtype of Flu A. We have Maybe five. Three this week place in negative pressure until they are confirmed to not have H1N1. Nothing confirmed yet. Everyone is getting swabbed for the flu that comes in with any cold or flu symptoms.

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”