Modern Day Pirates, Somalia and beyond

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Modern Day Pirates, Somalia and beyond

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Lynxian wrote:Dutch ministry of Defense reports killing two and wounding several Somali pirates; two Dutch RHIBs with Marines approached a suspicious vessel (turned out to be a hijacked Iranian fishing vessel) and the pirates opened fire. Marines on board RHIBs as well as those on the side of the Dutch destroyer returned fire, killing two. The vessel was then boarded and the remaining 16 pirates were arrested. A second pirate boat then approached to retake the vessel, but decided against it after the destroyer fired warning shots with its main cannon.

Since the pirates opened fire on Dutch marines they might be put on trail in The Netherlands, but nothing's been reported about that so far.

Source (In Dutch)
The universal signal for stay away... muzzle flashes and a 5 inch round across the bow. Works every time. :D

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 am

raptor wrote:The universal signal for stay away... muzzle flashes and a 5 inch round across the bow. Works every time. :D
Shiver me timbers! An English news article for the English speaking folk:
BBC News wrote: Dutch marines kill Somali pirates, Iranian boat freed

Dutch marines have killed two suspected Somali pirates and captured 16 others, the Dutch defence ministry says.

The alleged pirates were captured in an operation to free a hijacked Iranian fishing boat off the coast of Somalia.

The marines came under fire when they approached the fishing boat, the ministry said.

The suspected pirates are being questioned on board a Dutch warship which is taking part in a Nato anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden.

Ten suspected pirates were caught as they tried to escape in a high-speed vessel and six were detained on the fishing boat.

It is unclear whether the captives will stand trial anywhere.

"Prosecutors will have to decide," Dutch Defence Ministry spokeswoman Marloes Visser told news agency AP.

He said the bodies had been "entrusted to the water" saying it was not practical to keep them on board the warship because of the high temperatures.

In the absence of a stable government, piracy can be highly lucrative in Somalia.

Gangs often receive millions of dollars in ransoms.

Many of the vessels targeted are cargo ships sailing near the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.

They have also expanded their field of operations to much of the Indian Ocean.
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

riverjoe47
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??

Post by riverjoe47 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 am

I wonder if they saved the fishermen or did the pirates murder them ?
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

riverjoe47 wrote:I wonder if they saved the fishermen or did the pirates murder them ?
Dutch media reported the Iranian fishing vessel moved to safety under the guard of the destroyer, so I'm assuming the crew survived.
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Tue May 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Interesting account of commercial vessels taking more security (armed) into their own hands.

I still continue to advocate that rather than try to patrol the whole area of ocean the pirates operate, a close patrol of the Somali coast-- with the warning that any armed boat leaving shore would be automatically considered pirates with ill intent would be far more effective. You don't need an RPG to go fishing........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_special_report_pirates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”