Modern Day Pirates, Somalia and beyond

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Modern Day Pirates, Somalia and beyond

Post by Rev » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:18 pm

They don't want to turn it into the Wild West? What the hell is it now?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

riverjoe47
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??

Post by riverjoe47 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm

British contractors stress the importance of intelligence and surveillance, a safe room for the crew to retreat to if the ship is boarded, and the range of non-lethal deterrence measures available.
"The standard approach is for (pirates) to come in with all guns blazing at the bridge because when a boat is stopped it's easier to board," said David Johnson, director of British security firm Eos. "But if you have guns onboard, you are going to escalate the situation. We don't want to turn that part of the world into the Wild West."
Johnson's employees don't carry arms, relying on tactics that can be as simple as greasing or electrifying hand rails, putting barbed wire around the freeboard — the lowest area of the deck — or installing high-pressure fire hoses directed at vulnerable areas of a ship.....................

Im sure greasy hand rails are really going to deter these guys .
If they hold them off a hundred meters or so the pirates RPGs have a range of 1100 meters so why not just put one right at the waterline of a tanker for a lesson . They want to pretend these guys are just gonna give up cause it gets a little tougher to get on board , I maintain that they're not gonna be stopped so easily . These guys travel 3 or 4 hundred miles in open boats and attack ships with crews of 30 or 40 with 5 men .
Somebody needs to intercept them well before rocket range and start doing it quickly before they start buying anti ship missiles .
Its already the wild west as Rev says with armed felons attacking underarmed stage coaches .
Last edited by riverjoe47 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 pm

riverjoe47 wrote:British contractors stress the importance of intelligence and surveillance, a safe room for the crew to retreat to if the ship is boarded, and the range of non-lethal deterrence measures available.
"The standard approach is for (pirates) to come in with all guns blazing at the bridge because when a boat is stopped it's easier to board," said David Johnson, director of British security firm Eos. "But if you have guns onboard, you are going to escalate the situation. We don't want to turn that part of the world into the Wild West."
Johnson's employees don't carry arms, relying on tactics that can be as simple as greasing or electrifying hand rails, putting barbed wire around the freeboard — the lowest area of the deck — or installing high-pressure fire hoses directed at vulnerable areas of a ship.

Im sure greasy hand rails are really going to deter these guys .
If they hold them off a hundred yards or so the RPGs have a range of
Wow, either he's a gigantic fucking idiot or he's a gigantic pussy. Probably both judging by his statements.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Molon Labe wrote: Wow, either he's a gigantic fucking idiot or he's a gigantic pussy. Probably both judging by his statements.
Nope, not "either," he's both. :wink:

He believes like every other pussified person in the world, that they can reason with bullies/criminals/pirates. :evil:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:31 pm

I'd LOVE to be the guy who is elected to point a FIREHOSE at somebody with an AK or RPG :roll:

Do the people who come up with these kinds of ideas even LIVE in this dimension?
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:58 am

AKFTW wrote:I'd LOVE to be the guy who is elected to point a FIREHOSE at somebody with an AK or RPG :roll:

Do the people who come up with these kinds of ideas even LIVE in this dimension?
To the people of the Core Worlds, Reavers are a campfire tale and bedtime story; to the people of the Border Worlds and Colonies, Reavers are very real.
Replace "reavers" with "pirates" and you're pretty much spot on :wink:

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 pm

BreakingNews: US commandos capture 4 suspected pirates in raid - AP http://bit.ly/eVcc4y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...It's been a while...

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Greg Focker wrote:
AKFTW wrote:I'd LOVE to be the guy who is elected to point a FIREHOSE at somebody with an AK or RPG :roll:

To the people of the Core Worlds, Reavers are a campfire tale and bedtime story; to the people of the Border Worlds and Colonies, Reavers are very real.
+1
Funny how Firefly can be related to almost anything. :lol:
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
Greg Focker wrote:

+1
Funny how Firefly can be related to almost anything. :lol:

Yep.

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 pm

BreakingNews: Update: Some Somalia forces killed in the attempt to rescue Danish family from pirates - AP http://on.msnbc.com/hhZlqU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...It's been a while...

riverjoe47

Post by riverjoe47 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

survivaljoe wrote:BreakingNews: Update: Some Somalia forces killed in the attempt to rescue Danish family from pirates - AP http://on.msnbc.com/hhZlqU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok so not all Somalis are pirates . The Somali officials say they are trying to negotiate with clan elders .
So clan sounds like a specific enough target . Pay the elder, retrieve the hostages and then visit the clan with a little spanking .

Surgical Gatling gun

Chinese, Shan proverb

Mark Twain

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Re: Somali pirates hijack ship; 20 Americans aboard

Post by jnathan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:I think it's time America steps up and shows them how real pirates do.
Yarrr right on that one, matey.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:58 pm

riverjoe47 wrote: Ok so not all Somalis are pirates . The Somali officials say they are trying to negotiate with clan elders .
So clan sounds like a specific enough target . Pay the elder, retrieve the hostages and then visit the clan with a little spanking .

Surgical Gatling gun
I'd need more information. Most clans are actually fairly loosely organized and elders and chiefs are not always in direct control like you'd expect from a military superior. Quite likely while the majority of a clan is not active in piracy or even in support of it I can see individual bands and groups partaking in it especially because of how impoverished the nation is. The elders would not be able to order the release of hostages because they are not in direct control, the leader of that particular war band is. They could however use political/cultural/familial pressure to get them to let up and release the hostages in best interest of the clan.

I could be wrong but that's why I'm a bit hesitant to attack "clans" without further information. Accidentally kill a couple of the older level headed leaders and you'll get a more volatile situation. Imagine if you will a blood feud that leads to hijacking and scuttling of ships instead of taking them hostage. Sink one of the super tankers and we'll be looking at a real problem.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

riverjoe47

Post by riverjoe47 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Rev wrote:
riverjoe47 wrote: Ok so not all Somalis are pirates . The Somali officials say they are trying to negotiate with clan elders .

Surgical Gatling gun
I'd need more information. Most clans are actually fairly loosely organized and elders and chiefs are not always in direct control like you'd expect from a military superior. Quite likely while the majority of a clan is not active in piracy or even in support of it I can see individual bands and groups partaking in it especially because of how impoverished the nation is. The elders would not be able to order the release of hostages because they are not in direct control, the leader of that particular war band is. They could however use political/cultural/familial pressure to get them to let up and release the hostages in best interest of the clan.

I could be wrong but that's why I'm a bit hesitant to attack "clans" without further information. Accidentally kill a couple of the older level headed leaders and you'll get a more volatile situation. Imagine if you will a blood feud that leads to hijacking and scuttling of ships instead of taking them hostage. Sink one of the super tankers and we'll be looking at a real problem.
Too much thinking . My guess is the whole clan benefits from the piracy .
When I was a teenager my old man always told me " if your buddies are planning on stealing a car or burglarizing something then tell them ," no don't even tell me about it Im not interested " This advice saved me from being arrested with a group of them one time when they went joy riding in a stolen car . If a 14 year old knows that much my guess is that that Somali village knows that much .
Ok can I at least give them a little demonstration of the Wart Hog ?
Tear up the soccer stadium or something .
Chinese, Shan proverb

Mark Twain

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Now, now....

What would the other nations think of us?

I mean, their attacks are clearly a cry for help.... Right?

Everyone is looking at this from a civilized point of view.... Have any of the talking heads considered that we may not be dealing with a civilized foe?

Are we even allowed to call them our foe?

The responses I've read (Not here on the forum, but from the various news articles) make me shake my head and think very uncivilized thoughts....

I'll stop there...

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 am

SeerSavant wrote: Are we even allowed to call them our foe?

The responses I've read (Not here on the forum, but from the various news articles) make me shake my head and think very uncivilized thoughts....

I'll stop there...
At the risk of being marginalized by quoting a TV show:
"If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back..."

And my addendum: "... and use a gorram CIWS to do so!"

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Five pirates convicted in the US and sentenced to life in prison plus 80 additional years..just in case. The last person trial for piracy was conducted over 200 years ago.

They said they were just fishermen and others forced them to shoot guns at a US Navy vessel. :roll:
http://online.wsj.com/articleSB10001424 ... sNewsForth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by raptor on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Interesting: Dutch media are reporting that the Minister of Defence will soon approve to station Dutch marines aboard Dutch merchant vessels.

Footnote: it's not confirmed by the Ministry of Defence yet.
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm

raptor wrote:Five pirates convicted in the US and sentenced to life in prison plus 80 additional years..just in case. The last person trial for piracy was conducted over 200 years ago.

They said they were just fishermen and others forced them to shoot guns at a US Navy vessel. :roll:
http://online.wsj.com/articleSB10001424 ... sNewsForth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You know what the funny part of this is..... Not funny haha, but funny sad.

The quality of life in an american prison just might be better than the quality of life for a pirate on the coast of a place as unstable as Somalia.

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 pm

SeerSavant wrote:
raptor wrote:Five pirates convicted in the US and sentenced to life in prison plus 80 additional years..just in case. The last person trial for piracy was conducted over 200 years ago.

The quality of life in an american prison just might be better than the quality of life for a pirate on the coast of a place as unstable as Somalia.
Almost a definite truth there SS. That is, until they meet Jerome. :shock: Jerome likes his bitches to talk funny. :twisted:

,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

~Ronald Reagan~

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

grand94jeep wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:

Almost a definite truth there SS. That is, until they meet Jerome. :shock: Jerome likes his bitches to talk funny. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 am

SeerSavant wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Yes federal prison sucks. It is dangerous and not pleasant but they get feed on a regular basis, they get medical care at a level that exceeds the best hospital in Somalia and if they are abused they have recourse.

riverjoe47

Post by riverjoe47 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:41 pm

GUILTY .....

Chinese, Shan proverb

Mark Twain

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 am

Dutch ministry of Defense reports killing two and wounding several Somali pirates; two Dutch RHIBs with Marines approached a suspicious vessel (turned out to be a hijacked Iranian fishing vessel) and the pirates opened fire. Marines on board RHIBs as well as those on the side of the Dutch destroyer returned fire, killing two. The vessel was then boarded and the remaining 16 pirates were arrested. A second pirate boat then approached to retake the vessel, but decided against it after the destroyer fired warning shots with its main cannon.

Since the pirates opened fire on Dutch marines they might be put on trail in The Netherlands, but nothing's been reported about that so far.

Source (In Dutch)
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”