North Korea Saber Rattling

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

arentol

Re: North Korea Saber Rattling

Post by arentol » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Lios wrote:Some thing makes me think that we might be far from hearing it all...
What im trying to say is

1- that if you where NK... And your point is only to scare ppl u might ask ambasade and foreigner to leave and fake a war prep...

2- But if you wanted only to kill and have a war... Would you really take time to ask the ambasade and the foreigners to leave 4 there safety? Or you would only wait and attack when ready?...

3- But what if there is really more to it and that the real story isnt getting out. Its not like if it would be the first time that government (and or a private little circle of influencing players) all over the world would hid things 4 there own goal.
And that they (i mean government around the world or private circle) really wish a war (4 economies or other plan) they would need to make or create an enemy or a monster of some one to have ppl to be willing to follow them in a war. (Like if this didnt really happen before in human history) ... Would NK not be a perfect choice to make in that monster... a dying country out of food with a big army?
Lets say NK really do care 4 ppl life but didnt really have a choice (for a reason hidden to us)... That would explain why they are taking care to ask 4 the ambasade and foreigners to leave before the inevitable?...
Other wise why bother?
This pretty much sums it up for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRmxfLuNto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Boy Dictator Who Cried Wolf Now Screaming Nuke War

Post by Pilsung » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-0 ... uclear-war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The boy who cried wolf is now openly screaming "thermonuclear war." No, really. AFP reports that North Korea said Tuesday the Korean peninsula was headed for "thermo-nuclear" war and advised foreigners to consider leaving South Korea, as the UN chief warned of a potentially "uncontrollable" situation. "Tuesday's advisory -- greeted largely with indifference -- followed a similar one last week to foreign embassies in Pyongyang, to consider evacuating by April 10 on the grounds war may break out. "The situation on the Korean Peninsula is inching close to a thermo-nuclear war," the Asia-Pacific Peace Committee said in a statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency." The result - a big yawn, which sadly for Kim Junior is the worst reaction. After all what is a dictator with an inferiority complex and a laughable military to do to get some respect around here and score some "nuisance value" cash from the superpowers (which has been his entire plan all along).

The problem is he has done all the possible jawboning he could, and the next option is i) to follow through on one or more of his endless and increasingly idiotic threats, or ii) step back from the "thermonuclear" brink and be on the lookout for a military coup as he has pushed so far he can't possible retrace without losing all credibility, and fear a violent overthrow. Naturally, both options are hardly appetizing but the time to chose is rapidly approaching. And if he can't make up his mind, the increasingly ample US military presence in the region will be happy to make it for him.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ng-un.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
North Korean army 'split' over Kim Jong-un
North Korea's army was deeply split over whether to accept the command of Kim Jong-un, a former officer has revealed, giving a possible clue to the tensions lying behind the young leader's calls to war.

First Lieutenant Kim, 42, said he had been forced to flee North Korea after he murdered a rival officer as the factions within his army unit battled for control.
"I killed a three-star company commander, the same rank as me," he said. "He was the head of the faction supporting Kim Jong-un. There were two fights. In the first fight, they surrounded us and arrested a lot of people.
"But I got away and gathered others from the barracks. We found them and I shot the commander. After that, I escaped".
The battles occurred at the end of 2011, shortly before Kim Jong-un succeeded his father as the "supreme commander" of the Korean People's Army, the 1.2 million-strong standing force that remains at the heart of North Korea's "military-first" society.
"It was before he came to power, but we all knew for a long time that he was going to be made the leader. There were a lot of people who were against him. But everyone in that faction got arrested after he came to power," said Lt. Kim.

His group, he said, supported Kim Yong-nam, North Korea's 85-year-old president.
Divisions within the military, and the desire of a leader who may be only 30-years-old to consolidate his position, could be one factor behind the current spate of aggression.
"The further north you go (in North Korea), the more you hear rumours of dissension and divisions over who is or who would have been a better leader," said Joseph Bermudez, an expert on the North Korean military and an analyst at DigitalGlobe.
He added that there had been rumours last year of a possibly violent falling-out between two major departments over who would be in charge of army reconnaissance. That, he said, might have alarmed Kim Jong-un, who subsequently reshuffled a host of leading generals.
Lt Kim, who would not give his first name, said he was from Uiju county, close to the Chinese border city of Dandong. He has spent the last two years lying low in China, rarely venturing out, and waiting for his chance to travel to South Korea.
"We knew that South Korea was on a path to democracy and they had a good life and they had enough food. I had never eaten rice, and I cried the first time I smelled it cooking here in China," he added.
Wearing a pair of cheap Chinese trainers, a patterned jumper and a green Chinese army surplus great coat, a palpably scared Lt Kim was unable to offer any formal identification. His left arm hung awkwardly from an old wound to his shoulder.
If he is caught by the Chinese, he will be sent back to face either the death penalty or life in a gulag.
A halting interview with him, in the back of a taxi parked in the sparse countryside outside Dandong, was arranged through an agent who is helping to smuggle him to the South, and who charged £100 to speak to the former officer.
"I give him food," the agent said. "He used to be skinny, but after staying indoors these years, he has eaten well.
"I have contact with the South Korean spies who are here in Dandong. They keep an eye on relations between China and the North, but they also pay for me to deliver North Koreans to them. He will probably be sold next month, but until then the North Koreans are searching for him." The agent, a trim ethnic Korean in a nylon bomber jacket, declined to give his name.
He claimed that he had smuggled out 60 to 80 people out last year, many of whom were escaping after internal riots last year in Manpo, another city close to the border. "Only three in 10 defectors are successful," he said. "The others are arrested or are shot as they escape."
After two years outside of the country, Lt Kim said he had "no idea" what lay behind this month's aggression. "I do not know why they are doing what they are doing now," he said.
"Before I left, we used to hear that there was fighting between Kim Jong-un and his brother, who does not like China. They have different mothers so they are struggling against each other."
But he predicted there would be "no war" and that the regime would continue its hold on power, despite the desperate problems in many parts of the country.
"The situation is very bad. People are starving. There are some rich people, some rich politicians, who have a lot of money, but the rest of the people do not have anything. My father and mother both starved to death and my older brother died of illness," he said.
Lt Kim said he had commanded a construction company which excavated mountains for military installations.
"We were digging fortifications to prepare for war," he said. "Some of the projects would last for six years."
Mr Bermudez said there was still not enough information to establish the motive for North Korea's war footing. "We have not seen this before. We might be seeing that the generals have been given far more room and they are exploiting that, without really understanding the effect on the international community."
When asked if the North Korean army is still strong, Lt Kim answered automatically: "Yes, very strong". The man who smuggled him out of North Korea, however, doubled up laughing at the officer's response.
"They are taught that they are the strongest army in the world, and the best equipped. But in reality, their equipment is what we were using in China 60 years ago!" he said.
Man is a beast of prey

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 am

This is reading more and more like the plot of the video game "Mercenaries."

Time to brush up on my Korean.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 am

Sigh, oh North Korea. None of this is hardly "News" maybe more threatening than in the past but in April? They always ramped up threats and blah blah cause the U.S. goes to play war games with the South.

I'm not too concerned, besides only two places in the entire North actually have power on... How hard can it be to guess which one to bomb in response?

Not to mention, I think my grandfather had seen/used a lot of equipment similar or better then what they have now.... Back in WWII

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 am

I wonder how credible that alleged ex- Nork company commander is. Seems like quite a coincidence that some dude would be available to tell stories to a reporter at this moment, though the story does sound kinda plausible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:34 am

It's still outdated information. I would think that Dear Leader III would have consolidated power after two years.

Personally I'm a bit tired of the breathless new coverage of this little crazy porkchop.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 am

Well this has always been North Korea, they'd basically continuously issue threats until some genius decided to give them something in return for stopping their threats/behavior.

Pretty sure that is what they are aiming for again but seems everyone is finally fed up, or they want nothing to do with this particular nuck fut.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:This is reading more and more like the plot of the video game "Mercenaries."

Time to brush up on my Korean.
"What the hell is 'babysitting'?"
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 am

So what happens if the North Koreans launch a missile today?

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

Mikeyboy wrote:So what happens if the North Koreans launch a missile today?
My guess would be the Japanese get to do a test of their own. I don't think they would be very tolerant of any missile fired in their direction.

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

Eh, this will blow over quickly.

Surely, Kim isn't going to get involved in a land war in Asia, right? :|
Off the internet until further notice.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:
My guess would be the Japanese get to do a test of their own. I don't think they would be very tolerant of any missile fired in their direction.
Depends... If the missle is shot down NK looks stupid and SK and Japan will be reassured that Kim's threats are just empty rhetoric and that UN/US forces can militarily defend its allies in Asia.

The only negative side about shooting down NK's missle is that it may demonstrate how far our anti-missle technology might have developed over the years and that could spark an arms race and/or increase tensions with China and Russia. Remember, China shot down a satellite with a land-based missle and a short time later the US did the same with a ship-based missle. I recall reading that the program architecture used in the operation is based on our anti-missle platform. I think its safe to assume that when we knocked out the satellite that element of the US defense program wasn't scrapped... :?: I know the White House is sending a land-based anti-missle system to the Pacific but what if NK's missle is shot from from a Navy float? That can be a real game changer in terms of relations with China and Russia. Russia is already pissed about the possiblity of a missle sheild being set up in eastern Europe. What if its learned that the US can send a float anywhere in the world and use it as a portable? :?

I don't have the security clearance to know this but I don't think we have any land-based systems in Asia right now that can knock out one of NK's ballistics. It might be a big surprise to have an advanced missle knocked out by a US float "somewhere" in the Pacific?
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 pm

ZH10950 wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:
Depends... If the missle is shot down NK looks stupid and SK and Japan will be reassured that Kim's threats are just empty rhetoric and that UN/US forces can militarily defend its allies in Asia.

The only negative side about shooting down NK's missle is that it may demonstrate how far our anti-missle technology might have developed over the years and that could spark an arms race and/or increase tensions with China and Russia. Remember, China shot down a satellite with a land-based missle and a short time later the US did the same with a ship-based missle. I recall reading that the program architecture used in the operation is based on our anti-missle platform. I think its safe to assume that when we knocked out the satellite that element of the US defense program wasn't scrapped... :?: I know the White House is sending a land-based anti-missle system to the Pacific but what if NK's missle is shot from from a Navy float? That can be a real game changer in terms of relations with China and Russia. Russia is already pissed about the possiblity of a missle sheild being set up in eastern Europe. What if its learned that the US can send a float anywhere in the world and use it as a portable? :?

I don't have the security clearance to know this but I don't think we have any land-based systems in Asia right now that can knock out one of NK's ballistics. It might be a big surprise to have an advanced missle knocked out by a US float "somewhere" in the Pacific?
I should have clarified better. I believe Japan would shoot down a missile that is on path to fly over their country. Just not sure they have the legs to reach it unless its in terminal phase.

I agree our Navy would not want to disclose their abilities unless Guam or something was threatened.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:
ZH10950 wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:

I should have clarified better. I believe Japan would shoot down a missile that is on path to fly over their country. Just not sure they have the legs to reach it unless its in terminal phase.

I agree our Navy would not want to disclose their abilities unless Guam or something was threatened.
If Japan knocks out that missle I'm going to laugh my ass off!!! Dude, can you imagine the look on Kim's and his general's faces? :rofl: :awesome: But, yes, we don't really know what Japan has in their bag. Man, that would be hysterical though...
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 pm

ZH10950 wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:
ZH10950 wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote: My guess would be the Japanese get to do a test of their own. I don't think they would be very tolerant of any missile fired in their direction.

If Japan knocks out that missle I'm going to laugh my ass off!!! Dude, can you imagine the look on Kim's and his general's faces? :rofl: :awesome: But, yes, we don't really know what Japan has in their bag. Man, that would be hysterical though...
It would probably be an effective way to get Kim to shut his face.

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Although Lil Kim could use it as a reason to go hot with some Artillery.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

BTW NK announced that they took delivery of 100,000 septic tanks and the Great Leader said they are going to SK's kick butt...just soon as they learn how to drive them... :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

OS reporting that the SK have observed a number of TELs being prepared for firing.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/sou ... WX3eZye09U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South Korea is now at Watchcon 2 (similar to US Defcon status)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-11/s ... rt/4621882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully nothing will get touched off accidentally since everyone is pretty well primed.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

North Koreans called U.S. a "boiled pumpkin." Them's fighting words....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-1 ... mpkin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm

sheddi wrote:
Megalith wrote:Also one of my Elder Cousins served there in the original conflict and for a few years afterwards, I doubt the Plan they have in place wouldn't of changed much since then.
I think you'll find the world has moved on somewhat since 1951.
That is, excluding North Korea, apparently. :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Pilsung wrote:North Koreans called U.S. a "boiled pumpkin."
To a NK a pumpkin is likely a rare and exotic food...that may be a compliment. :lol:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Quite a few interesting updates here:

More flag waving and posturing. Reminds of two kids on a playground with one drawing a line in the sand saying; "Don't cross this". Except of course thousands of people could be killed.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/10/world/asi ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and that twitter feed was just getting ready for practice and all that:
In a sign of the level of concern, however, the port city of Yokohama had to apologize for prematurely publishing a warning of a missile launch on the Twitter page of its emergency management agency. The tweet was up for about 20 minutes before being removed.

"This pre-written message was a statement delivered accidentally due to an automatic delivery malfunction," crisis management official Tachibana Masato said. "We will work to make sure that this mechanism will be fixed and it will operate correctly in the future to ensure that this sort of thing does not happen again."
I am thinking twitter crapping apples wondering if they were going to end broadcasting the next big war live.
On Tuesday, a U.S. official said that the American government believes a test launch could happen at any time and without North Korea issuing a standard notice to commercial aviation and maritime shipping that would warn planes and vessels to stay away from the missile's path.

The official, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the information, cautioned that most of the information comes from satellite imagery, so it's impossible to reach a definitive conclusion because the United States cannot gather information on the ground.

He said the launch could be "imminent" but also cautioned that the United States "simply doesn't know." Based on what the United States has seen, the belief is that the missiles have received their liquid fuel and are ready for launch.

Speaking at a Senate Armed Services hearing Tuesday, Locklear said the U.S. military would not want to shoot down a North Korean missile whose trajectory would send it into the open sea. But he said if a missile's path appeared to threaten a U.S. ally, such as Japan, interceptor missiles could be used to try to bring it down.
Of course the US does not know, we don't have our finger on the trigger.

Russia stands with the US against the crazies:
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Wednesday told CNN that despite being an ally of North Korea, it stands with the United States.

"On North Korea, we have no differences with the United States. One just shouldn't scare anyone with military maneuvers and there's a chance things might calm down," he said.
The South is still not sweating it. They have been there many times before:
"South Korea has been living under such threats from the past, and we are always prepared for it," South Korean Unification Minister Ryoo Kihl-jae told CNN on Wednesday. He called the current climate "a very ordinary situation."
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Russian Times is reporting the missile is fully erect and ready to launch.

http://rt.com/news/north-korea-rocket-launch-663/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course given the Russians News service and the other false reports it could be off a bit.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”