North Korea Saber Rattling

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

paha80

Re: North Korea Saber Rattling

Post by paha80 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 am

Iraq was easy one, desert war ain't that bad but what about guerrilla war in deep forrests in a way like Vietnam? Same thing with North Korea, I believe.

Russians thought same way 1939 they would win us finns in Winter War easily, and they didn't win a way they wanted. And they had over ten times more men and everything.

paha80

Post by paha80 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 am

People of North Korea needs democracy, so let's hope for a little conflict that get rids of current leaders of NK.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 am

paha80 wrote:Iraq was easy one, desert war ain't that bad but what about guerrilla war in deep forrests in a way like Vietnam? Same thing with North Korea, I believe.

Russians thought same way 1939 they would win us finns in Winter War easily, and they didn't win a way they wanted. And they had over ten times more men and everything.
They were also attacked by an army without much in the way of up-to-date equipment and were commanded by an officer corps that had just recently been purged by Stalin. Of course any officer is going to give glowing projections when asked at the proverbial point of a gun.
paha80 wrote:I don't believe US army is so superior, you didn't even win war against Vietkong. North Korea has fourth largest ground army, so it won't be that easy. Ofcourse the US would win that one but with a lot of deaths of own troops.
The Vietnam War wasn't fought just against the Viet Cong but also the NVA and several other sympathetic groups like the Pathet Lao. There are many reasons the the US pulled out of Vietnam. A lack of military superiority was not one of them.
paha80 wrote:People of North Korea needs democracy, so let's hope for a little conflict that get rids of current leaders of NK.
No. We don't advocate for political systems here.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 am

This is getting tedious. With respect guys, I re-read the op and it did not bear any resemblance to the international dick measuring that's currently happening in this thread.

On Topic http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21992174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Korea has promised a "strong response" to North Korean aggression, amid high tensions on the peninsula.

Speaking to defence officials on Monday, President Park Geun-hye said that she took the series of threats from Pyongyang "very seriously".

North Korea said on Saturday that it was entering a "state of war" with South Korea.

On Sunday, the US sent stealth fighters to South Korea, as North Korea pledged to build up its nuclear arsenal.

"If there is any provocation against South Korea and its people, there should be a strong response in initial combat without any political considerations," Ms Park said.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:This is getting tedious. With respect guys, I re-read the op and it did not bear any resemblance to the international dick measuring that's currently happening in this thread.

On Topic http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21992174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Korea has promised a "strong response" to North Korean aggression, amid high tensions on the peninsula.

Speaking to defence officials on Monday, President Park Geun-hye said that she took the series of threats from Pyongyang "very seriously".

North Korea said on Saturday that it was entering a "state of war" with South Korea.

On Sunday, the US sent stealth fighters to South Korea, as North Korea pledged to build up its nuclear arsenal.

"If there is any provocation against South Korea and its people, there should be a strong response in initial combat without any political considerations," Ms Park said.
I'm still betting this backs down without a major incident.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:42 am

That's my expectation too Doc'.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

paha80

Post by paha80 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:03 am

Yeah, you're right.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 am

Locked to review whatever the fuck has been going on in the last three pages.
Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 am

Re-opening. Megalith - I strongly advise you to cease and desist from trolling in this thread, you know very little compared to people you are up against and it is painfully clear to everyone.

Keep this on topic.

North Korea 'to restart Yongbyon nuclear reactor'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21999193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is a beast of prey

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 am

the_alias wrote:Re-opening. Megalith - I strongly advise you to cease and desist from trolling in this thread, you know very little compared to people you are up against and it is painfully clear to everyone.

Keep this on topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21999193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The optimist in me hopes that this is a sincere move to help supply power to the people.

The realist in me is just wondering what shenanigans will follow this.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 am

Not sure if this has been posted already, but a good read and a very comprehensive study of NK capabilities regarding an attack on SK. http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-spe ... d-reality/

Megalith, I would suggest you especially read it.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 am

The original post
"NK approaches the next test launch of its long range ballistic missile, cleverly disguised as a satellite launch. Threatens SK with war if ANY country tries to intercept the missle. The launch is in violation of at least one treaty and may violate others. US says no intention of intercepting missle. Funny that the US and SK are conducting joint defensive war games at this time as well. Bears watching." This was posted in March - 2009.

55 pages of comment, and now it's March 2012 - and how much as changed, other than a new lunatic in charge...?

The headshed of the PDRK have been talking trash well before I pulled my tour on the peninsula. I gave up worrying about these nutcaes in 1976...

My only suggestion would be for folks to look at their supply chain - and if it passes thru South Korea, make plans for a second source for those items...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Megalith
BANNED

Post by Megalith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:11 am

the_alias wrote:Re-opening. Megalith - I strongly advise you to cease and desist from trolling in this thread, you know very little compared to people you are up against and it is painfully clear to everyone.

Keep this on topic.

I don't know how Truth is trolling?

Perhaps people should find the truth about the subjects they preach about then I wouldn't have to correct them.

Megalith
BANNED

Post by Megalith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 am

AKFTW wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but a good read and a very comprehensive study of NK capabilities regarding an attack on SK. http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-spe ... d-reality/

No-one knows DPRK's true capabilities, they are very good at showing what they want to show and what they don't want to show, for example going back to the 2011 attack, people were saying then that the DPRK weren't able to do what they did (I.E infiltrate past a US navy group and sink a Sub-hunter with a single torpedo to the centre.)

Megalith
BANNED

Post by Megalith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 am

TacAir wrote:The original post
"NK approaches the next test launch of its long range ballistic missile, cleverly disguised as a satellite launch. Threatens SK with war if ANY country tries to intercept the missle. The launch is in violation of at least one treaty and may violate others. US says no intention of intercepting missle. Funny that the US and SK are conducting joint defensive war games at this time as well. Bears watching." This was posted in March - 2009.

55 pages of comment, and now it's March 2012 - and how much as changed, other than a new lunatic in charge...?

The headshed of the PDRK have been talking trash well before I pulled my tour on the peninsula. I gave up worrying about these nutcaes in 1976...

My only suggestion would be for folks to look at their supply chain - and if it passes thru South Korea, make plans for a second source for those items...
I believe the DPRK are playing a game here, trying to catch the West off guard, what better way to do it then to constantly cry wolf?

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:16 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Keep this on topic.

The optimist in me hopes that this is a sincere move to help supply power to the people.

The realist in me is just wondering what shenanigans will follow this.
I wonder if this might have something to do with the sanctions limiting fuel from China?
Obviously they have decided if they are being sanctioned for nuclear weapons they might as well be able to produce them long term, but keeping the lights on without using up fuel that you might need for tanks and jets would be a good idea too.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 am

Megalith wrote:I don't know how Truth is trolling?

Perhaps people should find the truth about the subjects they preach about then I wouldn't have to correct them.
Capitalizing "truth" does not constitute proof. You are entitled to your opinions, but unless you can mange to be more persuasive and provide valid citation for your statements you will not convince anyone. Please do not continue to crap up this thread simply because your opinion differs from that of most observers outside the DPRK.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 am

I am sure this is a waste of good 1's and 0's but...

Megalith:
No-one knows DPRK's true capabilities
True. Not even NK as they have not fought a war in 60 years. Yet you keep claiming they have some kind of magical power with a third class military 40 years out of date. How did you happen by all this info?
I believe the DPRK are playing a game here, trying to catch the West off guard, what better way to do it then to constantly cry wolf?
I am confused as to what makes you think they are catching the US off guard? Published open source media accounts months before the test during a large SK military exercise? A surprise would be if Tokyo suddenly went up in flames.
I don't know how Truth is trolling?

If you were telling the truth it would not be trolling. Or at least providing some kind of evidence for your wild and belligerent assertions. Another correction BTW for more of your craziness. US and SK forces are not practicing an invasion exercise, they are practicing defending against an invasion from NK. I think the Canadians would be mildly bemused if we were practicing to stop an invasion from Canada.

Back to the real world; the right wing media is reporting that Chinese Troops are mobilizing and moving to a higher alert state on the border in response to all the war talk:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04 ... an-border/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... jets-near/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the grand scheme of things a couple of brigades does not mean much but it is an indicator that someone is worried.

:roll:

Because the leadership in NK has been concerned for the welfare of the people over the years?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

nathat

Post by nathat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 am

I think the impromptu war games in Russia, China moving troops and ramping up their drone force, and NK being so vocal may end up being an issue all said and done. I think this may turn into more than a simple "everything will calm down in the end."

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

nathat wrote:I think the impromptu war games in Russia, China moving troops and ramping up their drone force, and NK being so vocal may end up being an issue all said and done. I think this may turn into more than a simple "everything will calm down in the end."
I really hope so. Too much muscle flexing right now... Historically speaking, that can lead to some one letting off a shot and SHTF. I really wish China would/could step up more and make this stop! :vmad:
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 am

Megalith wrote:
AKFTW wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but a good read and a very comprehensive study of NK capabilities regarding an attack on SK. http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-spe ... d-reality/

No-one knows DPRK's true capabilities, they are very good at showing what they want to show and what they don't want to show, for example going back to the 2011 attack, people were saying then that the DPRK weren't able to do what they did (I.E infiltrate past a US navy group and sink a Sub-hunter with a single torpedo to the centre.)

Oh Megalith....I would love to tell you how submarine operations work but trolls don't normally get cleared for that stuff so here is the stick figure version of the 2011 attack.

The US and ROK Navy's were doing exercises over 60 miles South of where the sinking occurred. 60 miles in the shallow crappy water of the Yellow Sea is the acoustic version of trying to see a house in a foggy night. Add to that the sinking happened near an island where sound conditions suck more. The DPRK submarine did not pass through a Navy group since the group was to the South of the attack. Yes the Cheonan is equipped for sub hunting, but I would not consider it a top flight ship for the job especially if they were not pinging. Did the South Koreans get caught with their pants down? Yes but I would say that was a mistake never to be repeated as long as the DPRK has a Navy.

--Source: 10 years of personal Sub hunting experience.

Now on to the topic..

This new rattling of restarting the reactor is just another step in the ladder of madness for these guys. I feel for the South Koreans though. When someone is in your face acting a fool it is tough to not reach out and slap the shit out of them despite the consequences. Maybe that is why I am not the President.

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

On a happier note, just to lighten things up:

This year's April Fools' joke of German public TV network ARD was a report on how the Obama administration is going to solve the current Korea crisis.

The State Department will send David Hasselhoff to sing "I've been looking for freedom" in the DMZ and thus bring down the wall. It worked once, and surely it will work again.

:rofl:
Off the internet until further notice.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 am

Latest update from BBC news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22002288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UN chief Ban Ki-moon has said the North Korea "crisis has gone too far" after Pyongyang announced plans to restart its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

Speaking at a news conference during a visit to Andorra, Mr Ban called for urgent talks with the North...
"Things must begin to calm down, there is no need for the DPRK [North Korea] to be on a collision course with the international community. Nuclear threats are not a game," Mr Ban said.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:Latest update from BBC news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22002288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UN chief Ban Ki-moon has said the North Korea "crisis has gone too far" after Pyongyang announced plans to restart its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

Speaking at a news conference during a visit to Andorra, Mr Ban called for urgent talks with the North...
"Things must begin to calm down, there is no need for the DPRK [North Korea] to be on a collision course with the international community. Nuclear threats are not a game," Mr Ban said.
Yes it has gone too far!

Russia and China are being vauge, at best. And, I think talks will just empower NK to become hostile every time their demands are not met in the future regarding nuke capability and testing. The sanctions are clearly squeezing NK so Kim is turning on the reactors to try to get another "disarm for aid" agreement that has failed since the Clinton years. We should not keep feeding the Zombies! If we negotiate with Kim after he turns on the reactors then the UN sanctions become a joke.

IMHO, at this point, the UN Security Council needs to totally cut of NK until the current government collapses or Kim taps out and disarms. Bringing Kim's government back to the table and rewarding him with aid will do nothing more than bring us right back here in a few years when Kim runs out of resources by testing more nukes and long range missles. This has been a cycle of appeasment that has failed for two decades. Its a game of "Chicken." That's all this is but Kim is now over playing his hand. He's on a bicycle and the UN is riding a Dodge RAM 3500. This is madness... :?
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”